Start by marking “The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage” as Want to Read:
The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage

The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage

4.64  ·  Rating details ·  12,347 ratings  ·  1,138 reviews
Show Up and Let Yourself be Seen

Is vulnerability the same as weakness? “In our culture,” teaches Dr. Brené Brown, “we associate vulnerability with emotions we want to avoid such as fear, shame, and uncertainty. Yet we too often lose sight of the fact that vulnerability is also the birthplace of joy, belonging, creativity, authenticity, and love.” On The Power of
Audible Audio, 7 pages
Published May 24th 2013 by Sounds True (first published April 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Vulnerability, please sign up.
Rowan Rue The audio book of this book is excellent and it's read by the author (6 lectures). I love hearing Brene Brown speak on this subject.

It's jarring to…more

It's jarring to listen to the audio book Daring Greatly because it's read by someone else, so I would physically read that book instead of listen to it.

There is overlap and some repeating of stories, but they're great stories so I didn't mind hearing/reading them again. There is a little bit of a focus difference is all. I don't think it matters so much as long as you read them. Though, I highly highly recommend the audio book to the Power of Vulnerability.(less)
Rowan Rue Yes, this would be it. I want to give it 10 stars! It's got real life stories about herself and her research. It's witty, funny, serious, and…moreYes, this would be it. I want to give it 10 stars! It's got real life stories about herself and her research. It's witty, funny, serious, and inspiring. It really brings home the true need we all have to actually be who we really are and how vulnerable it is. I've been owning my own life story (harder than you think) and allowing myself to be vulnerable enough to be my real authentic self (had to do a lot of reflecting, and still do, to even know who that person even is). I can call out shame for what it is now and now I don't go down the shame spiral so hard or so deeply anymore. It's very empowering, as well as entertaining, and absolutely worth your time. (less)
Quiet by Susan CainSiddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Books for the INFJ
558 books — 269 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe Secret by Rhonda ByrneThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillThe Reframe by Brian Maddox
Best Self Help Books
1,442 books — 1,953 voters

More lists with this book...

·  12,347 ratings  ·  1,138 reviews

Start your review of The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage
Nat
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, audiobook
I decided to give this audiobook - narrated by the author - a chance right after having watchedAlain de Botton's talk,Why You Will Marry the Wrong Person. I don't really recall how my mind then led me to associate the aforementioned with Brené Brown's work, but here we are...

On The Power of Vulnerability, Dr. Brown offers an invitation and a promise - that when we dare to drop the armor that protects us from feeling vulnerable, we open ourselves to the experiences that bring purpose and meaning
Julie Davis
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best way to get an idea of this book is to watch Brené Brown's TED Talk on vulnerability. It was a real eye-opener for me and it went viral so I wasn't alone in loving it.

I was delighted to find this 6-talk series on Audible that I could use as a refresher. Brown pulls together all her research to continue the vulnerability conversation on a deeper level.

Brown herself is so engaging and genuine that the sessions are easy to listen to. She freely shares personal stories as examples so you
My_Strange_Reading
#mystrangereading The Power of Vulnerability by Brené Brown.

Brené Brown: You are my queen. I will read, listen and follow you in any direction your research takes you. You are amazing.

As I stated when I first started listening to this audible, I don’t really think a collection of her talks should count as a book, but if GR wants to count it and let me review it, I’m here for it.

This collection of talks was powerful and so interesting. These talks come right before Daring Greatly was released,
Misty
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A profoundly life-changing lecture. Brené Brown helps us to see the beauty that lies in being vulnerable. Being vulnerable is difficult, but it’s an essential step to us being wholeheartedly our genuine selves.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs,
Celeste
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm lying in bed at almost midnight, crying as I write this review. I'm one week out from a painful break up, and I think this book arrived as a gift from the Universe just letting me know that it was right to take the risk to love, even though it hurts right now. Even though it didn't turn out as I hoped, I did as Brene Brown advises: I showed up and was present. I let myself be seen. I really do live wholeheartedly. This is one of those books (lecture series, whatever) that everyone should ...more
Michael Britt
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great "re-listen" and very short, as well. I really don't have much to add on from my original review, so I'll leave it below.

This was more of a "Ted Talk" than a book. Well, I guess it isn't actually a book at all. I listened to it on audible and it was a tremendously enjoyable listen. It had so many great moments that really make you think. Vulnerability is considered a weakness among many people, but she makes a great argument that it's not a character flaw, but one of the
Crystal
I kept thinking all the way through this audio "book" which is actually a set of talks Brown gave over a period of two days at some type of conference, that everyone (most of all, me) needs to hear this. A researcher, a social worker, and a communicator that is attempting to do what she is "preaching," Brown's message is relevant to every human being if he or she has the courage to first listen to it and then apply it. Half way through this audio book, I ordered her book, The Gifts of ...more
Linda Hart
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is awesome, as are all of her books, but I suggest if you are going to read any of Brene Brown's books, read this first.
Claire
Love, love, love this! I listened to the audio version, which is an audio learning course, presented by her as a series of sessions. She balances her own research with other well known authors and researchers, in addition to her own experiences as great examples of how to apply her theories in daily life.

I am a big picture person, and I loved how she could weave together various aspects of our psychology to formulate an almost all encompassing thesis of living life "whole heartedly". From
Ashleigh Thompson
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love!!! I listened to this conference Brene Brown spoke at on Audiobook, I really think the content is the same as on a Daring Greatly. Easy to listen to and life giving/changing. Highly recommend!
Pritesh
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read! I would give it 6-stars if Goodreads let me :) Quick side note: I listened to the book on Audible. The book is a collection of 6 lectures by the author. And she is a great speaker! I highly recommend listening to the book.

I had to listen to this book thrice. The first read made me realize what a giant ass I have been to everyone, including the people who I love and care for the most. It helped me realize the giant role that judgement and shame play in my thinking. It
Johan Haneveld
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book to read again. Deals with the linked issues of shame and vulnerability in an empathetic way, with disarming honesty (Brene Brown practices what she preaches) she lays bare the roots of shame and perfectionism and the way these are everywhere in our culture (and am I cynical if I add: our churches? I think religion often uses these same tactics to keep people subordinate) and points to their effects - all too recognisable I must add. She also as a fellow traveller advises on the way to ...more
Davina
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I guarantee you, too, will cry and nod along knowingly to every word of this. Brene Brown is arguably the most important truth-teller of our times.
Holly
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brown gets to the heart of shame that prevents us from deep connections and vulnerability There was some ugly crying involved, but realizing that shame was a large part of the way many of us were raised was eye opening and life changing. I did this as an audio because the author presents with great humor, sensitivity and self-deprecation in a healthy and positive way.
Jessica
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great summary of her work. This is a recording of a two day lecture and I would say her best work. Brene says herself that she's more comfortable speaking than she is writing, and I would say that I enjoy her lectures more than her books. (While I do LOVE Gifts of Imperfection.) For anyone who would like to review Brene Brown's work, this is the place to go. It's a combination of all her work divided out into mini lessons.
Susie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
It may be too soon, as this is only my first Brené Brown, but I am on the Brené Brown bandwagon. I may not agree 100% with everything she said, but I love her perspective on so many issues. The timing of this was perfect. I was just talking about some of the things she addressed with my husband.

I can't wait to listen and read more from Brené Brown! <3
Jessica
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth tracking down the audiobook. Her story telling is excellent and her connection and vulnerability is palpable.
Franki Sibberson
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-read
I did the audio. This is actually more of a series of workshops Brene Brown did on this topic so it is her speaking and sharing her work. Fabulous!
Linda Hart
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite of her books.
Trina
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book in the car. I gained so much from listening to these wise words from Brene Brown.
Gundeep Singh
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books so far and Brené Brown is quintessential example of wholehearted people. This book is really well broken down into what she learnt about vulnerability and shame in her 12 years of research.
I must say a part of me was shocked by some of the findings, but the other part of me felt how common it was in our society. Her writing is incredibly honest and humble.

I liked that she talked about God, spirituality, faith etc and loved hearing her POV on the those subjects. My
Snorre Lothar von Gohren Edwin
Amazing stuff! Will relisten to this over and over! Worth following this woman and her research. She talks about a core problem in humanity in a very fun, straightforward way!
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
I don't say this lightly: this book is genuinely life-changing. Will literally be recommending this to every person in my life who listens to audiobooks.
James Fisher
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LIFE CHANGING - not too many times in life have I had an experience like I had listening to this book. I also was unaware that many of our great leaders of today are whole hearted vulnerable people. Of course they are only vulnerable to people who have earned that right.

There is so many things in this book that spoke to me as I believe it would to many people. The major topic is shame and how shame plays a major role in our lives. The book talks a lot about parenting and as adults our affect on
Lizzie
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Overall I found this very enlightening & would recommend it to anyone. There were times when it was perhaps a little too black and white, and on occasion a little over "Americanised", but not to the detriment of the audiobook as a whole.

My favourite quote about vulnerability, "It's the first thing I look for in you, but it's the last thing I want you to see in me". I think there are few people that wouldn't resonate with. Thank you to Brene Brown for tackling such a challenging, taboo
Joseph Wilburn
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't get over how many a-ha moments there are in this! I got the audible version and it's essentially a seminar series with the author herself. I literally started listening to this when I got to work not really knowing what to expect and could not put it down until I went home (then I picked it back up and finished it!). Too many insights to mention..just get this and go.
Nan Goerlitz
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful listen. There are many things that I've already subtly changed, and I've noticed a difference. This book has led to many interesting conversations with family and friends. I plan to purchase the written book so I can refer to it often and continue my growth.
Shally
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just feel like I need a little Brené in my life every day!
Jennifer Cataline Walker
I felt as if Brene' Brown was speaking about me, to me...was me.
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I give 4-stars with a warning label. Brene' Brown has a potty mouth. She doesn't cuss for the sake of cussing-she just uses words I wouldn't use in the place of words that I would. This was audio, so I expect it was more obvious. I don't know if the language shows up in her books.

However, she has a lot of helpful things to say. She has done research for around 15 years, interviewing people and has come up with a list of 10 things that make someone "whole-hearted." They are people who don't live
Hand In Hand: The Power of Vulnerability 3 11 Aug 04, 2015 04:03PM

• Becoming Nobody: The Essential Ram Dass Collection
  • Gratitude Daily
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • The Problem is YOU: How to Get Out of Your Own Way and Conquer Self-Defeating Behavior
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself
  • Play: How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul
  • Always Eat Left Handed: 15 Surprising Secrets For Killing It At Work And In Real Life
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • The Art of Reading Minds: How to Understand and Influence Others Without Them Noticing
  • It's Not What It Looks Like
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston where she holds the Huffington Foundation – Brené Brown Endowed Chair at The Graduate College of Social Work. Brené is also a visiting professor in management at The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business.

She has spent the past two decades studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy and is the author of
“No one reaches out to you for compassion or empathy so you can teach them how to behave better. They reach out to us because they believe in our capacity to know our darkness well enough to sit in the dark with them.” 82 likes
“Oversharing? Not vulnerability; I call it floodlighting. ... A lot of times we share too much information as a way to protect us from vulnerability, and here's why.

I'm scared to let you know that I just wrote this article and I'm under total fire for it and people are making fun of me and I'm feeling hurt -- the same thing that I told someone in an intimate conversation. So what I do is I floodlight you with it - I don't know you very well or I'm in front of a big group, or it's a story that I haven't processed enough to be sharing with other people - and you immediately respond "hands up; push me away" and I go, "See? No one cares about me. No one gives a s*** that I'm hurting. I knew it."

It's how we protect ourselves from vulnerability. We just engage in a behavior that confirms our fear.”
15 likes