Start by marking “15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership” as Want to Read:
15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership

15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership

Published (first published January 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership

Start your review of 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership
V.
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's one of those books that might be for you or not. if your curiosity is tickled, below i've outlined the first couple of chapters:

15 commitments of conscious leadership: a new paradigm of sustainable business

*Tim-leading from below the line:
on edge. fear. insecure. runs from silence. sleep deprived. unconscious. emotionally disconnected. judgmental. anxious. ego. surviving. constant hyper-arousal. reactive, stuck in past or imagined story. angry. below the line leadership is closed, defens
Bragadeesh
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Wow, a really wonderful book that defines leadership from an entirely different angle. I thought it would present things about this subject in a stereotypical way, but to my surprise this was entirely at a different level. This book also indirectly touches things at a spiritual level. The difference between the commitment levels for each of the 15 commitments are effectively communicated throughout the book. Following/Practising these commitments are not at all easy, but one can see why it is ex ...more
Mark Sturgell
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This will likely become one of the seminal books on leadership in my library. The authors dissect many of the aspects of authentic leadership that I already believe and practice, providing helpful distinctions and mnemonics, but also practical applications for desired results, which is too often left to theory in leadership books. I look forward to expanding these Commitments into my own personal living and professional practice.

The one downside worth mentioning is the authors' tendency toward
Oriana Muñoz
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a book that touches many different aspects of the human being.

What is leadership and what differentiate leaders from others. What it takes to give the extra percent that makes us unique, valuable and feel satisfy by our actions. To take fulk responsibility for our actions and to don't adopt a victim role that clouds our purpose.

It also guides you through, how to feel our feelings to identify patterns in our behaviors and the way we react to the world.

Furthermore, another big learning was
Diane Murray
A "self-help" book that will absolutely transform your life, whether you're a "leader" by standard definition or not--and this is coming from a strong skeptic with a dislike for self-help and life improvement fads. Everything in here is just solid advice for shifting your perspective and expectations for a more contented, compassionate, and mindful life experience.

I normally skim this sort of book to get the main points, but for this one reading it word for word is what gave it its impact. I def
Alisa
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to commit to changing anything in their lives
This was a great book! This book gives a lot of practical ways to consciously live above the line, in a place of being open, curious and open to learning. And while the authors acknowledge that being human we will all at times fall below the line (into a place of being closed, defensive and committed to "being right"), they give a lot of practical ways to get yourself back above the line.

I highlighted a lot of references and ideas in this book, and this is a book I will continue to reference and
Philip Joubert
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm working through the concepts in this book with a leadership coach - so my experience of the book is massively shaped by that. A few of the concepts can sound quite wanky at first glance and I think they might continue to sound wanky to some.

Good companion books:
- Leadership and Self Deception
- Anatomy of Peace
- The Courage to be Disliked
Becky Aguirre
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has had a deep impact on my life and relationships. It is easy to read and comprehend and presents very practical tools for making big lofe-changes! It's a book I will be referring back to for years to come! Check out the free downloads and other related resources at concious.is!
Prabhu
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listened to the Audiobook version of this book, after listening to Jim Dethmer @ Knowledge project podcast with Shane Parrish. I felt, this book had some really great insights and ideas about leading and most importantly living consciously. In my opinion, the radical changes that were discussed in this book would need to be combined with some kind of conscious living practices like meditation or similar.. the reason I say this is even though one might intellectually understand and appreciate the ...more
marilyn flower
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: enlightened individuals and organizations or those headed that way...!!!!
Recommended to marilyn by: Rev Joan Steadman
Amazing! Leadership Principles with a metaphysical perspective...a new way of being and managing energy in organizations and in our lives!!!! At any given moment we can be open and curious or rigid and right, our choice! The book takes us through a process towards openness, honesty, clarity, candor, and taking full responsibility without judging or complaining-- a true place of empowerment. Drawing on Rev Michael Beckwith's four stages of consciousness, Byron Katie's Work, and helpful distinctio ...more
Melissa Greene
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imaginarium
I listened to this book through AUDIBLE. It was incredible. I was challenged and strengthened. What a difference these shifts are making in my life. I now want to purchase so that I can read and ingest these powerful truths again. If you are a leader this is a MUST read.
LeMira
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ!!!! This book has helped me change the way I run my business, my personal relationships, and my life. It's an easy read, and a great one to read one chapter a week to practice the commitments.
Deidre Schwartz
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This sounds like a leadership book, and it is, but so much more. I would recommend this to anyone as an excellent guide to leading a happy life. So many exellent points on how best to lead, manage, and inspire people while getting the most of life for your own well-being.
Jon
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to glance through now and then. I liked the theme of “above the line” and “below the line” along with the many examples of the commitments throughout. As with many business books, you have to be in the right mindset to really benefit from the ideas presented.
Deralex
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Start is a little esoteric but overall one of best leadership books. Chapter structure really good with exercises..
Oleksiy Kovyrin
Sep 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
New age bullshit. Don’t waste your time on this.
Nathan
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I recently read 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership and wanted to write about one of the commitments they described to summarize it and help me begin to practice it: The commitment to speaking candidly. For context, the core idea of the book is when you lead consciously you’ll be happier and more successful. They outline 15 commitments to help with this. For speaking candidly the commitment they outline is as follows:

“I commit to saying what is true for me. I commit to being a person to whom
Sooraj
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book which turns over a new leaf of leadership behaviors. Unlike most of the other leadership books which are into extrinsic leadership behaviors i.e. how to communicate, how to manage etc., this book dwells into intrinsic leadership behaviors i.e. how to respond intrinsically to situations, choosing to be in control of the way we think, respond etc.

For example: Am you right or do you want to be right? Being right is just knowing 2+3 = 5. Wanting to be right is acknowledgment and accepta
Spencer
Apr 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
A true waste. Anyone with healthy skepticism and backed with intelligence and reason is going to be very disappointed reading this "how-to" book. If you took an intro college-level philosophy or comparative religion class, you'd recognize this as just a mix of traditional Taoism and Stoicism philosophy trying unsuccessfully to be applied as a guide for the enlightened business leader. However, its authentic and only useful application in the workplace is a handy guide and convenient way to dismi ...more
Benedikt
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, business
The title put me off a little bit as books with a fixed number of points can have an arbitrary combination of content that does not belong together and fail to hit home with its intended message.

This book however resonated with me. I had heard of the book through listening to a podcast Dethmer was a guest on. I immediately took to his quick take on leadership and life itself. Consequently, I picked up the audio book and got reminded of so many important behaviours and characteristics that make a
Greg Bae
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Jim Dethmer lays out a framework for leadership using principles grounded in mediation, growth mindset and community.

The 15 Commitments:

Having enough of everything
Experiencing the world as an ally
Creating win fo
Lazarus
Man, there is a lot packed into this motivational, practical, and conceptual leadership book. A book that says to be a better leader you need to be more like Jesus, without saying “Jesus “. I thought there are a lot of great concepts that can be embraced that would be beneficial personally. And I like how this book is designed to challenge the way you see or think about things, but when put all together it comes off like legalistic religion than a book for organizations. In fact this is more of ...more
Hank Pharis
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
(NOTE: I'm stingy with stars. For me 2 stars means a good book or a B. 3 stars means a very good book or a B+. 4 stars means an outstanding book or an A {only about 5% of the books I read merit 4 stars}. 5 stars means an all time favorite or an A+ {Only one of 400 or 500 books rates this!).

Having known Jim in seminary and having followed his ministry over the years I was very interested to learn about what he is doing these days. However merely listening to this book is not enough. Its too much
Marissa Crawford
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book on leadership and I found it very useful. I read this book as part of a leadership course at work so we had sessions to practice our skills and discuss. Those sessions are where I really got the value from reading the book. I think it would be difficult to put some of the commitments into practice without having these sessions. There are also things that seem to contradict each other in the book but working through them in the sessions, I could pick up on the nuances. ...more
Kelly Walker
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“When we first meet leaders, almost all have a strong control plan, where their ego is invested in the appearance of control.” The practices outlined in this book seek to move a successful task manager into a holistically successful leader - one who adds value professionally, personally, and culturally. This book is jam packed with science, philosophy, and spiritual research to back already compelling arguments and case studies. This is the closest I’ve gotten to a “one stop shop” leadership pla ...more
Senka
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A helpful book that was recommended to me by both a direct report and our company’s CEO — I say this because I think most of what I learned here is going to be met with receptivity by others in my organization, making it an inviting and supportive environment for practicing conscious leadership.

I earmarked several pages that I plan on referring to time and time again, and I already walked away with the desire to make some changes in my life.

Some aspects seem a little silly and hippie-dippy — b
Denys Shamatazhy
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewing
It is a good book. The book is a set of 15 bits of advice on how to be a conscious leader. Every chapter has a practical part, summary, and external resources to dig deeper. In an example, I liked the section about motivation types, and how motivation can be toxic, how you can empower a team to achieve results.

The con is that that's a set of external knowledge, not a brand new investigation. And I've already read books like Emotional Intelligence, so this book was secondary to me.

I recommend thi
Isabel Hogue
Aug 04, 2019 is currently reading it
Had to laugh out loud at the exaggerated introductory stories that set up the 15 Commitments.
The two stories described a male who did everything "wrong" and a female who did everything "right."
They reminded me of the story time on the local children's TV show I watched in the early 1960s.
These little morality tales were about the T-twins, wise "Safety" and foolish "Smarty."
(And which one do you want to be, boys and girls?)
Shane Orr
I picked this up after I read a transcript of Shane Parrish’s interview with Jim Dethmer. Are you living above the line or below the line? The book provides 15 commitments that will have you leading more fully above the line in an open, curious state that’s committed to learning rather than a closed, defensive state that’s committed to being right. A few of the commitments were a little too far off on the new age-y side, but there were still some good tips here.
Lincoln Wachira

Exploring the opposite
Sourcing approval, control and security
Having enough of everything
Experiencing the world as an ally
Creating win for all solutions
Being the resolution that is needed
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Great CEO Within: The Tactical Guide to Company Building
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • 7 Powers: The Foundations of Business Strategy
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup
  • Strategy Beyond the Hockey Stick: People, Probabilities, and Big Moves to Beat the Odds
  • High Growth Handbook
  • The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level
  • Measure What Matters
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • The Soul of Money: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Life
  • Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital and How to Get It
  • The Infinite Game
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • How the Internet Happened: From Netscape to the iPhone

News & Interviews

“At any particular time, leaders are operating from either fear or love. This” 3 likes
“We often describe unconscious leaders as reactive. They react from a “story” about the past or an imagined future, and their personality, ego, or mind takes over.” 1 likes