Start by marking “The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection” as Want to Read:
The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection

The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection

From the author of the New York Times #1 bestseller The Untethered Soul comes this thought-provoking, inspirational memoir on the magic that happens when you just let go

Spirituality is meant to bring about harmony and peace. But the diversity of our philosophies, beliefs, concepts, and views about the soul often leads to confusion. To reconcile the noise that clouds
Published June 2nd 2015 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Surrender Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surrender Experiment

Start your review of The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection
Justin
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I was really torn between giving this a 2-star and a 4-star.

Pros - it's very well written. It's also a powerful concept - of acknowledging the limit of our control, not being committed to a single outcome, but rather being open to where life takes us and letting things unfold as they do. The 2-page "premise" section sums this up beautifully, and the repetition of examples in the book are helpful.

Cons - it's really hard for to relate to someone who has an epiphany at age 22 and then never varies
Kate
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Ultimately, this book is about the art of allowing...of radical freedom, really. It's about following your passions and then lining up with whatever circumstances life places before you.

Here are some of my favorite lines:

"The sharp line I had drawn between spiritual and nonspiritual had begun to fade. The energy I experienced while teaching my classes...was the same energy I was dealing with in my yoga and meditations."

"Every time I got into or out of my car, I would slow down my breath and
Uwe Hook
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for a book that expanded on the wisdom of the Untethered Soul, which I thought was brilliant and life changing. I did enjoy the beginning of the book where Mr. Singer discusses the beginnings of his spiritual seeking and how his life fell into place in so many ways. I loved hearing about the spiritual commune he started and the spiritual teachers that he met and learned from. But I was caught off guard when he began to discuss developing his medical software billing empire. It ...more
Tina
Feb 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Let me start off by saying that I love the idea behind this book - the reason I purchased it. I want to better understand how to surrender to life, so my review and rating have nothing to do with the subject matter.

Obviously, this is Singer's story and it is his to tell, but I got absolutely nothing out of this book at all, which *might* have been acceptable if this were a third rate thriller, not a book which was obviously written as an enlightenment tool/read.

While I did not expect to get a
Lisa Guevara
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Like some other readers, I was excited by the idea of this book--surrendering to the way life unfolds and attempting to step away from the ego and concept of "self" which often gets in our way. But I was a bit disappointed. I wanted more depth, more of an idea of Micky's day to day life--how DOES this surrender concept really work. I also couldn't help but wonder what his wife and child think of it all, what their experience has been. Obviously, this is his story, his version of what ...more
Kelly
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a fascinating and pretty crazy life story this author had! Really interesting premise about how surrendering to the flow of life's events created a pretty incredible and interesting life for the author. I was a big fan of his prior book and this was a good follow-on book.

A few notes/quotes I highlighted:

* Every day, we give precedence to our mind’s thoughts over the reality unfolding before us. We regularly say things like, “It better not rain today because I’m going camping” or “I better
Nicole D. Lybrand
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book ebbs and flows in sometimes awkward increments, but the overall message and story are quite incredible. It is a wonderful reminder of how little control we have and how much we torture ourselves with the illusion of control. Written from the heart it is a worthwhile read. Highly recommend!
Vivian Adram
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved The Untethered Soul and now I love this one too. Given the rubbish judicial system currently in my country, I think some of our judges should also have a read.
Dor
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
An enjoyable and inspiring read that slowly devolves into the chronicles of a top-tier businessman who's into meditation and letting go but not enough to stop reminding us (and himself) he's surprised to have found himself at that level even though he's just a ponytail woodhippy.

I appreciate the message, and Michael's attitude and some events are conveyed in a convincing manner - enough to make me want to nudge more towards surrender in my day to day life - but on the whole, it's very
Lauren
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, that’s 250 pages of humble bragging.

Summary: Surrendering to life is easy when everything goes your way. Apparently, Mr. Singer had to learn to be OK with surrendering to people repeatedly telling him how awesome he is.

The Surrender Experiment reminds me of nothing of the books I’ve read about Buddhism and yoga. Instead its closer counterpart is prosperity gospel and the idea that you’re simply not praying hard enough if life isn’t going your way.

Regarding the court case at the end: As an
Denise Mills
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was an interesting read on what can happen when you really say "yes" to life, but was far from my favourite.

I found it disappointing that the birth of his daughter only received a brief mention. There was no discussion about fitting in parenting duties around the businesses he was building, or any mention of her at all rather than the fact she was born.

I'd like to see how the mother's life unfolded. What was did saying "yes" to life look like for her while bearing all the responsibility for
Pam Mooney
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
An amazing case study! I believe in the premise and loved the authors insight to his own spirit as well as his support of others. He is sure to inspire others and continue to thrive with his open heart and spirit. I am excited to recommend this for those at a crossroads or just need to gain knowledge and inspiration. Although the author may have a bit of an advantage with a doctorate and being obviously highly intelligent. Of course, that is what we want from our natural leaders and advisors.
carmen tavernia
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going with the flow

Incredible life story of what it means to let go and go with the flow, to trust life and to fully experience what life brings. It's filled with example after example of surrendering to life and being amazed at what unfolds. Untethered Soul defined the "inner" dynamics, understanding the internal, Surrender Experiment, puts that internal knowledge into practice with the outer world, life.
Anne Kadet
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is just way, way, way too weird to review.
Kimball
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kimball by: Larry Hansen
I read The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself twice a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed that. It was the book that made me recognize and understand The Inner Voice that we all have. Michael takes us back in time to tell how he discovered that inner voice and his struggle to free himself from its incessant yakking. If you're familiar with The Secret this is another take one it. It's neat how many people rip on that book yet the principles it teaches are in so many other "tolerable" ...more
Cornmaven
Dec 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
This one about does it for me on memoirs. While I understand the benefits of meditation on one's health and well-being, Singer's story, as he tells it, seems to imply that embracing full zenness is essential for getting good things in life and being successful. So here's my take:

1. Singer had the advantage of an upper middle class existence at the time that he "discovered" his ideology. No responsibilities, plenty of money to "tune in, drop out", and basically take a sabbatical from the real
Sojourner
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
“…the processes that determine the flow of life around us did not begin when we were born, nor will they end when we die.”

A book which the writer named “life” to be its real author, The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection by Michael A. Singer is a deeply searching and rousing biography of the man who wrote the path-breaking and inspirational book, The Untethered Soul. It is a book that shows you what life can bestow on you when you answer its call.

This amazing memoir which
Marla
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, excellent practice, evidence in the power of acceptance of what is and perfect example of flow. A fast read, very compelling. It's funny, because I lost my job a year ago and have not really "embraced" my new lifestyle, working with my fiance in his small business, in the back of my mind another job in my field was bound to show up, but in reality my chosen field has been flooded. I am fearful of not having steady income and have realized, because of this book, that I need to ...more
Henrique Moody
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book it was a little bit hard for me because I couldn't really relate to the author's life. Everything seemed so distant from my reality that I didn't think it had something in there for me.

I'm glad I didn't give up, because Mikey's life story made me reflect a lot about how I've been dealing with my life, about how much I've been fighting against everything around me and how unnecessary and harmful that is.

I feel that something was changing inside of me while I was reading
Lisa Shultz
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Singer's book Untethered Soul was one of my top 3 reads of all time, so I was most interested in this one. It is essentially a biography, which I found fascinating. I also felt peaceful while reading it. I am now much more aware of surrendering in my own life with whatever comes up.
Joanie
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
ONE OF THE MOST TRANSFORMATIVE BOOKS I'VE EVER READ: My new guiding life philosophy.
Lindsay Nixon
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is one of the most boring memoirs I've ever read.

If you're looking for wisdom/help on how YOU can surrender/practice meditation, this is probably not the book for you.

This book is a long, yawning narrative of Singer's life, mostly him babbling on about how he started meditating and surrendering. The entire time I kept thinking "get on with it already" and "what is the point? why are you telling me this anecdote?" By "part 3" which is some 18 chapters in, we still hadn't gotten anywhere.

I
Laura Tremaine
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
How to rate a book like this one? I give it 5 stars for impact, and 3 stars for writing, so I averaged.

I read this book at exactly the right moment I needed it. I really enjoyed Singer’s first book The Untethered Soul, so I was already used to his philosophies and manner of writing, but readers unfamiliar should know that this is very mystical.

Since I struggle with controlling people and events that are (obviously) outside of any control, working on “surrender” is something I needed to read
Muhamed
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book. The main philosophy of the book, the practice of surrender, is phenomenal and life-changing. I totally recommend it.
Ntandem_wTina
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Advance Reader Copy
Michael Singer never disappoints me! This is so characteristic of a great master to follow with an almost workbook like companion to his previous book, The Untethered Soul. I will look forward to a boxed set for holiday book giving this year. This is a deep personal exploration into his psyche and choices that only he can provide without the tedium one would imagine. It can feel microscopic but not narrow in focus; at once simple and yet prophetic as illustrated in the line
Linda
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really loved “The Untethered Soul” and thought this would be the author’s journey to have written such a beautiful book,but....
This book was Michael Singer’s brag book. He has an spiritual awakening at the age of 22 and by surrendering preferences builds a life that he would have never dreamed of. I feel most of have lives we never thought we’d have. Life is full of surprises some good, some not but we learn, survive and hopefully grow from these events. Michael Singer’s story was not
Tracy Howe
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autobiography
Rating this book was a hard one. It's really well written and for that it probably deserves more than two stars. However, the entire premise of the book rings false to me. I think surrendering to life's greater plan for each of us is an important part of the spiritual journey, but I don't think that self denial and ignoring our personal self is helpful in any way shape or form. For me, the spiritual journey is about talking to the voice in my head, getting to know it, and bringing the light of ...more
Shawn  Stone
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Singer’s 40 year spiritual journey of surrender and acceptance is your classic tale of a young hippy who abandons academia to go live in the woods, spending his time meditating and searching for spiritual enlightenment.

Foregoing material attachment and relinquishing all life’s resistance to the will of the universe he nonetheless winds up stupidly rich beyond most people’s wildest imaginations as CEO of his own multibillion dollar company.

Because apparently, just as “The Secret” showed us,
Mehrsa
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I LOVED Untethered Soul, but this one was so super annoying. The theory is excellent--let go of your desires and ambitions and just go with it. But this is about how he became a millionaire by letting go and he didn't actually let go--he highlights all the interesting coincidences and miracles that happened to him (After the 10th "I would never have imagined that such a thing would happen," you start to wonder whether he has no memory). But he talks about how the business had worries and plans ...more
Jahnavi Jha
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in so deeply that I didn't want to finish it but read a little every day! My first read of 2019 and what a perfect way to begin the year. Michael Singer's story is extremely inspiring for curious souls like me who ask difficult questions about life. I have learnt so much from this book and have even been inspired to meditate. Recognising my inner voice and how to not let it rule me but to work with it. Looking forward to picking up The Untethered Soul in the future. All ties ...more

• Letting Go: The Pathway To Surrender
  • Autobiography of a Yogi
  • Becoming Supernatural: How Common People Are Doing the Uncommon
  • Spirit Hacking: Shamanic Keys to Reclaim Your Personal Power, Transform Yourself, and Light Up the World
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now
  • Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One
  • The Three Pillars of Zen
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • Falling Into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering
  • The Illusion of Money: How Chasing Money Is Stopping You from Living
  • The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
  • Power vs. Force
  • Stillness Speaks
  • Advanced Energy Anatomy: The Science of Co-Creation and Your Power of Choice
  • Transcending the Levels of Consciousness: The Stairway to Enlightenment
Michael A. Singer is the author of the highly successful The Untethered Soul, which has also been published in Turkey, Brazil (in Portuguese), Switzerland (in German), Spain, Japan, China, the Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, Poland, and Italy.

Singer received a master's degree in economics from the University of Florida in 1971. During his doctoral work, he had a deep inner awakening and went into
“My formula for success was very simple: Do whatever is put in front of you with all your heart and soul without regard for personal results. Do the work as though it were given to you by the universe itself - because it was.” 8 likes
“Each of us actually believes that things should be the way we want them, instead of being the natural result of all the forces of creation.” 7 likes