Start by marking “Impossible Lives of Basher Thomas” as Want to Read:
Impossible Lives of Basher Thomas

Read Book

Impossible Lives of Basher Thomas

Documentary filmmaker Harry Ogletree lives in the shadow of his friend Nathan "Basher" Thomas, who gained fame as an internationally renowned photojournalist. Two decades on from Basher’s disappearance in the jungles of Guatemala, Harry sifts through an archive of Basher’s effects, crafting a documentary about his friend’s life. As Harry undertakes this dark pilgrimage, ...more
Published November 11th 2014 by Figureground Press

To ask other readers questions about Impossible Lives of Basher Thomas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impossible Lives of Basher Thomas

Start your review of Impossible Lives of Basher Thomas
Brian Bernbaum
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Impossible Lives of Basher Thomas is an adventure story in the greatest sense: one that explores the worlds that lie both outside our doors and — sometimes far more perilously — within each of us.

While ambitious in its scope of both time and place — the story spans some twenty-five years and two continents — at its heart, this is an intimate story about two friends.

The book’s haunting opening image, of the title character — the war photographer Nathan ‘Basher’ Thomas — being gunned down in a
Robert
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the review from PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BookLife:

"Detman pulls together various forms and styles in an ambitious novel composed of transcripts, letters, and footnotes, told in sharp prose. On August 17, 1982, renowned photojournalist Nathan “Basher” Thomas is fatally shot. Decades later, Harry Ogletree, one of Basher’s closest friends, decides to write a screenplay about the murder. Harry visits Basher’s mother to speak with her about the project and collect a box of Basher’s personal effects.
Richard
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book not knowing much about it and found it interesting in the way it was written . It touched on childhood friends and how life leads them in different directions. But how we still look for that lost youth and when we find it were we really that close or has time pasted us by! Some times we like what we find but most of the time we just want to do better then those kids in our youth.
Basher the arrogant kid and Harry try in his mind or was it to compete with what is the answer,
Lorna
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it
'The Impossible Lives of Basher Thomas' is a literary, somewhat stylised novel that follows one man's pilgrimage to the site of his friend's violent death two decades previously. Overall, I enjoyed this novel and would recommend it to lovers of literary fiction without hesitation.

Now in his forties, protagonist Harry Ogletree is carrying out research for a documentary film about award-winning photojournalist and best friend, Nathan 'Basher' Thomas, whose death at age 23 was captured on video.
Jenee Rager
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. This is a pretty simple story, detailing a friendship and a life cut too short. The author's beautiful style of writing makes it seem like so much more. Definitely an enjoyable read.
Robert M. Detman is the author of IMPOSSIBLE LIVES OF BASHER THOMAS (Figureground Press 2014), which Publishers Weekly has called "An ambitious novel ... told in sharp prose ... layering various methods of storytelling to create a fresh and intriguing work." He has published fiction in over two dozens literary journals, including the Antioch Review, Akashic Books Thursdaze, Santa Monica Review, ...more