Start by marking “Smart Cities: Big Data, Civic Hackers, and the Quest for a New Utopia” as Want to Read:
Smart Cities: Big Data, Civic Hackers, and the Quest for a New Utopia

Smart Cities: Big Data, Civic Hackers, and the Quest for a New Utopia

An unflinching look at the aspiring city-builders of our smart, mobile, connected future.

We live in a world defined by urbanization and digital ubiquity, where mobile broadband connections outnumber fixed ones, machines dominate a new "internet of things," and more people live in cities than in the countryside.

In Smart Cities, urbanist and technology expert Anthony Townsen
Published October 6th 2014 by W. W. Norton Company (first published October 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Cities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Cities

David Sasaki
First came the mainstream computer, enabling a privileged few to perform complex calculations. Then the personal computer, a first step toward the democratization of computing power for the masses. Next, the smart phone and tablet, keeping us constantly connected to the cloud and to each other. What's next? The city itself, according to Anthony Townsend, author of Smart Cities: Big Data, Civic Hackers, and the Quest for a New Utopia .

The "city as computer" is Townsend's first premise, and it ha
Nolan Gray
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: city-reads
Hmm. I'll start with the positives.

1. I learned a fair amount our power grid. Can't say I knew anything about that.

2. Townsend's criticism of over-planning, mainly in chapters two and three, are fantastic. The "Mirror World" musings were fascinating, and the Jacobsian history of urban theory was fascinating. Had the book ended with chapter three, it would have been a four star book.

Now the the criticisms:

1. The book reads like an advertisement for NYU's Interactive Telecommunications Program mo
Liam
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
"[T]he most common text message, sent billions of times a year all over the world, is 'where r u?'" (7)

"[I]t soon became clear that looking smart, even more than being smart, was the real force driving mayors into the arms of engineers." (68)

"Mirror worlds were 'a centrifuge ... designed to stratify society based strictly on a person's fondness for playing games with machines.'" (quoting David Gelernter, 71)

"In Uganda, for instance, there are now more mobile phones than lightbulbs." (177)

"Unlike
Maheswaran
As much as I wanted to like this book, I suspect the author was determined to fill pages. For every single thing, there was an unnecessary back story (for example, and if I remember correctly, there was a section where the author wanted to talk about the effect of bugs in software, as related to big data/cities, but he decided to give a two page long history about bugs). There were definitely some good ideas in the book but the length rendered the book a bit painful.
In short, the book was needle
Nils
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urbanism, democracy
A breezy account of the various ways that cities are being festooned with sensors and how the data generated by those may be used to create greater efficiencies but possibly also more surveillance and social/political control. Glances back episodically at previous episodes of urban planning. The book lacks a clear thesis however and is ambivalent over whether it wants to be in the "gee whiz isn't this tech cool" camp, or in the cluck-click Cassandra mode of warning about dystopian scenarios. The ...more
Michael Siliski
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Bailed on this book 1/4 of the way through. Really mostly a survey of technologies with some musings on top. Very historically focused, but not because the history is important to understanding the current situation or the future. Felt very rote, like I was taking a college course and would presumably need to know all this stuff for some purpose later. I read the Sidewalk Labs Toronto Vision and found it a far more interesting and forward looking view of smart cities.
Nabeel Ahmed
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great accessible introduction to smart cities, suitably cautionary and not full of hype and fluff. Everyone interested in the topic should read it.
LUIS MARTINS
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting take in urban design but did not age well. To the point of making some predictions or assumptions that missed the mark.
David
Available as an 11+ hour audiobook. It's worth consuming in that fashion if the alternative is for you (as for me) not consuming it at all. However, the ideas come thick and fast, so probably worth the effort to engage in some old-school reading on this one, if you are still retro enough to read books.

Liam's review here at Goodreads has a nice selection of quotes from the book which demonstrate the thick and fast ideas. I'd like to add one more, which occurs in the audiobook chapter 9 (physical
amy
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed-up compromise between history, criticism, and recommendations for building smart cities that aren't awful and run by corporations. Townsend has high praise for Code for America, NYU's Interactive Telecommunications Program, and local broadband (i.e. Chattanooga). He spends a ton of time on tiny projects like something called Botanicalls (plant tweets when it needs water, admittedly cool) while rushing through The History Of Cities in a really breezy and facile way.

The book ends with a ca
Peter Foley
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The smart city debate continues between the top down approach promoted by technology companies, and the bottom up actors including advocates, hackers and the civic engagement movement. Townsend appears aligned with the bottom up approach to smart cities, but does provide a balanced perspective of the strengths and weaknesses of each.

I am familiar with much of the subject matter and found that reading this book deepened my understanding, and provided me with many valuable insights. Smart Cities i
Pablo Lafón
I thought this book would be mostly about architecture, but I was wrong. The entire concept of this book is "Corporations are making advances on planning smart citites, but don't surrender the entirety of the projects to them,make space for organic innovation and integretaion of the average citizen. The way it was written was not very technical, very annecdotal, but still a bit of a slog. I would recommend it if you are interested in any way on getting ides to present to city developers and city ...more
Mark
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this work. To be honest, I couldn't get past the rah-rah "ain't tech great and ain't it going to save us through crowd sourcing data crunching." The author did occasionally mention all this is totally dependent on the infra staying up and people having the tech to access the data. Unfortunately, that got set aside fairly quickly.

Other reviews I've read will provide you a whole lot better critiques of this work. I encourage you to find and read them.
Justin Cole
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
As someone interested in the future of cities, I think that this is one of the few (if not only) books out there that do a great job not only detailing the history of "smart cities" but the many failures that have shaped the notions of how technology can improve the lives of urban dwellers.
Rodrigo
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bom apanhado geral sobre o tema.
------------
Good overview about the subject.
Joni Baboci
An interesting book on the future of the smart city with a clear tendency towards open source, freely accessible, network based city management systems.
Panz
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a little longer read than I expected, perhaps because I was not expecting so much historical background to smart cities and rather a futuristic outlook. The comprehensiveness of the content was a pleasant surprise and I probably did not grasp everything in the first read through. Solid recommendation for anyone even remotely interested in this area, you'll find a lot more work has been done than meets the eye
Patrick King
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This immensely well written and easy to enjoy. Early comments about the Power Broker Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs illustrated a more thoughtful reflection of the issues facing "Smart Cities". This is perfect for the planner / technocrat but not a how to guide as it's up a level from that - thankfully. I found the insights deep at times though the bulk of the text was not necessarily new. If you're interested in smart cities this worth a read - 3.5 stars
Bluedisc
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quit
Honestly it was a good book. He is a good writer and talks about how the world has changed over the past 20+ or so years with regards to technology changing city life. Full disclosure, I only read about 120 pages throughout different parts of the book and stopped for reasons un-related to the book. I think I'll come back and finish it some day in the future.
Dan
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure what I expected from this book, but whatever it was, it didn't offer it. Very wishy-washy talk about how some cities have turned smart, quickly changing subject when all the shallow aspects have been discussed.
Scott
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting read, providing an oversight of the technology that is connecting cities.

However, not quite what I was expecting in regards to how this technology can be leveraged by the individual and the organisation.
Yury Badalian
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book looks more like an essay, but it contains a lot of interviews with professionals and somehow tries to frame the term “smart city”
Erik Tanouye
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-planning
Got this from Thrift Books.
Pete
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m sure there’s good info in here. I just had a real hard time getting into it. My mind was constantly wandering.
Jaanika Merilo
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not really surprising book on much discuzzed topic...
Allisonperkel
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech, non-fiction
OK, not great, read on technology and cities.
Zach Beauchemin
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some interesting concepts in here.
Kelvin Humphreys
Densely packed full of information, names, anecdotes, and stories the author manages to pull it all together into a riveting and cohesive journey that explores the links between technology and urbanism from history to the present. The author explores some of the biggest issues facing our cities (and societies) today such as climate change and segregation and how technology can and is being used to help overcome them. Townsend also speaks to the problems and ethical concerns that technology itsel ...more
Pratish Halady
Decent overview of some initiatives that can make a city smart, and also some attempts that succeeded and failed. But, if you’re interested in understanding how to plan a modern smart city from a practical or policy perspective, this book suffers from two weaknesses in my view:

1. Describes, in a somewhat disconnected way, several instances of what can make a regular city “smart”, eg citizen driven apps, etc but does not bring these together into a cohesive discussion of what is a smart city and
Kostas Pelechrinis
There have been numerous attempts to define what constitutes a smart city, each of which captures one (or just a few) aspects of the concept constrained from the domain that this definition originated. Anthony Townsend takes a holistic and interdisciplinary approach and manages to give a spherical view of the current status of smart cities and where they are heading.

He starts with a description of the technological factors that render the development of smart cities possible and then takes us to
« previous 1 3 next »

• Rewire: Digital Cosmopolitans in the Age of Connection
  • Against the smart city (The city is here for you to use)
  • The Metropolitan Revolution: How Cities and Metros are Fixing our Broken Politics and Fragile Economy
  • The Responsive City: Engaging Communities Through Data-Smart Governance
  • Walking Home: The Life and Lessons of a City Builder
  • Great Streets
  • Straphanger: Saving Our Cities and Ourselves from the Automobile
  • Smart Growth Manual
  • Not Impossible: The Art and Joy of Doing What Couldn't Be Done
  • Start-Up City: Inspiring Private and Public Entrepreneurship, Getting Projects Done, and Having Fun
  • A Country of Cities: A Manifesto for an Urban America
  • Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
  • Cities Are Good for You: The Genius of the Metropolis
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
  • Cities for People
  • Hacking Happiness: Why Your Personal Data Counts and How Tracking it Can Change the World
  • The Penguin and the Leviathan: The Triumph of Cooperation Over Self-Interest
  • A Social Strategy: How We Profit from Social Media
Anthony Townsend is an advisor to industry and government at the Silicon Valley–based Institute for the Future and directs urban research at New York University’s Rudin Center for Transportation. He lives in Hoboken, New Jersey.
“With our days and nights increasingly stretched across the vastness of megacities, we’ve turned to these smart little gadgets to keep it all synchronized. It’s no accident that the most common text message, sent billions of times a year all over the world, is “where r u?” 1 likes
“Smartphones in hand—over a billion worldwide by 2016, according to Forrester, a market research firm—we are reorganizing our lives and our communities around mass mobile communications.13” 0 likes