Start by marking “Strangers In My Sleeper: Rail Trips And Encounters On The Indian Subcontinent” as Want to Read:
Strangers In My Sleeper: Rail Trips And Encounters On The Indian Subcontinent

Strangers In My Sleeper: Rail Trips And Encounters On The Indian Subcontinent

The railway tracks that snake across the Indian subcontinent are a daily lifeline to millions. To Peter Riordan they were the perfect way to meet people - to talk to the real, modern India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Strangers in my Sleeper follows him around a vast land and introduces his fellow travellers - sadhus, businessmen, flirting couples, secret ...more
Published 2006 by New Holland

To ask other readers questions about Strangers In My Sleeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers In My Sleeper

Start your review of Strangers In My Sleeper: Rail Trips And Encounters On The Indian Subcontinent
Lancelot du Lac
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This book records the observations of a typically ill-informed and over-excited white tourist in the Indian subcontinent. Surprisingly he chooses railways as the sole medium of travel (with a few exceptions) and his essays revolve around the same. All are free to read this book but please don't rely on the accuracy of the facts mentioned in this book. There is a reason why I called him ill-informed. Some of the follies that I came across in this book:
* A religious bracelet is called 'Kurta'
Daren
This book covers a lot of ground. Basically, if the train goes there, and it is in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh, it is covered by Peter Riordan in this book.
However while the travel occurs through all of this geography, the book doesn't attempt to 'cover' all of the places it goes. In this way the book is quite cleverly written. It is about the train travel, and the train system, and it is about the people in the trains, and their stories.
In other books I have not enjoyed the
Nataliec7
I didn't finish this book as realised that I didn't really care for it so much! What I read was okay, but it wasn't particularly engaging for me.
Heather
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
A little too much of a speed-trip and as mostly all set on the trains and railway stations there was lots of sameness ... for me anyway. Only read 3/4 of it.
The Armchair Trav...: * *Strangers in my Sleeper * discussion 3 6 May 07, 2016 03:33PM
Peter Riordan has worked as a journalist in New Zealand and Australia. He is currently a freelance editor and writer in Wellington, New Zealand.