Start by marking “Weekend Language: Presenting with More Stories and Less PowerPoint” as Want to Read:
Weekend Language: Presenting with More Stories and Less PowerPoint

Weekend Language: Presenting with More Stories and Less PowerPoint

Think about it: on weekends, we're all great communicators because our default is storytelling. When we go to a party on Saturday night, we don't talk about how we optimized our calendar last Wednesday to monetize our mission-critical, best-of-breed, seamless-solution-provider business. (If you do, that's probably why you haven't been invited back to many parties). No, on ...more
Published December 1st 2013 by Dash Consulting Incorporated (first published November 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Weekend Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weekend Language

Start your review of Weekend Language: Presenting with More Stories and Less PowerPoint
Jenni
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book provides a few simple and helpful tips on how to improve your presentation skills woven around the concept of story telling. Unfortunately, the text is bloated, repetitive and lacks substance. For each hint, which the authors give, they do not explain how to implement it in detail. Instead, multiple examples are given to proof their point, but those do not help the reader to actually implement any hint. I suggest to cut down on the bloat and provide more substantial help for future revi ...more
Marek
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The Weekend Language is all about storytelling and keeping the message drop-dead simple.
In that spirit, they authors come up with a simple framework and add a lot of real life examples to make it a pleasant read.

However, it somehow feels like a preface to something that could have been much more powerful. Sometimes the book just feels like a hyperlink to the authors' website. It is also missing out in the bibliography department. Do not expect many references to actual research.

Nonetheless, a ni
Armando Ferreira
A good summary of guidelines on how to prepare and deliver presentations

The book is short, present the ideas concisely and has the right amount of statistics and examples to illustrate the importance and value of the proposed approach. The guidelines and directions you find on this book will help you, as long you work enough, the prepare and deliver effective presentations. Recommendations are down-to-earth and credible. I definitely recommend this book.
Tim Hughes
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you give presentations (we all do) you should read this book and "Lend me Your Ears" my Professor Max Atkinson. Weekend Language is especially good at getting people to simplify language as well as make sure we tell stories.

Two vital points in the modern world if we want people to listen to what we say and invite us back next year to speak, again, at a conference, sales kick off etc.

A bad presentation reflects bad on us and there are no excuses not to get it right, first time.
Amber
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
This should be a blog post. Or a Medium article. It might be because it’s older at this point, but I didn’t find it useful or relevant. It thought it was repetitive and boring. Definitely too long which is crazy because it’s such a short book. I didn’t like the business examples probably partially because I didn’t understand them. Not worth it to me. I’m glad I got it from the library and didn’t buy it.
Shay E
May 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Read for a work book club; picked up a couple of useful tips but nothing groundbreaking. The anecdotes strewn throughout aren’t that useful to illustrate the points, so they come off as namedropping and advertising for the authors’ consulting services. It was a quick read and mildly useful, but I was annoyed about it the whole time. My tolerance for the “corporate self-help” genre is very low, though, so your mileage may vary.
Wil Reynolds
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to ground you in the basics of delivering a great presentation.

No matter how good you are it helps to get back to the basic elements of a great story. I'd recommend this to anyone who has to give presentations. I particularly too away the mosquitoes example, how to open making a visual instead of a statement. That's gonna stick with me.
Jitendra Zaa
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about how and why to drop power point slides and drive your next meeting or presentation as a story telling without powerpoint presentations. How to become good public speaker and start preparing story first and then to support it create powerpoint presentations (only of necessary).
Anuj Agarwal
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, yet compelling & powerful read.

- I loved that it was a short read. A couple of hours only.
- And that it was simple and easy to understand & very practical, with great examples and specific steps one can begin practicing immediately.
Iqbal
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended reading for all everyone who communicates with their clients, vendors and stakeholders, strategy and marketing folks.
Thank you Craig for making it simple and concise to understand
Michael
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Michael Thompson
Sohaib
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book reads what the authors share

It’s organized well. It follows the talk track of what the authors want to convey as their message. And it has good stories!
Lindsay
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super useful book for improving public speaking. Quick and entertaining read.
Frank Gamba
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No need waste 12$ for info you can easily find on the web
Andres Atencio Quintero
Great Read

Amazing stories and helpful materials overall. I recommend this book, specially to the ones that want to incorporate stories into presentations.
Jennifer Davy
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've done storytelling workshops at work and it's basically reiterating the same stuff so very useful if you've not done any training. ...more
Amy
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Game changer if you find yourself frequently speaking with groups.
Anthony Hernandez
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good tips for presenting. Topics involve story telling, body language, and powerpoint. I would recommend for people who give lots of presentations for work.
MidnightReader
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of good advice, could have been more concise
Lina Vargas García
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very practical advice for speaking in public. Useful pocket book to have in hand every time you have a presentation coming. To be read and used more than once!
Dorothea Gosling
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Great little read full of thoughtful and instantly to be applied advice around crafting great stories
Catherine Huang
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple read yet very practical and useful for anyone who is interested to become a more effective presenter/communicator. I read it twice lately. I can see myself started to apply some of the tips and received great results.
Kenneth M
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview

It’s a good summary of a number of techniques, covered in more detail in other books, on presentations. Good reminders of things we might know, and provoking thought on some new pointers.

• The Trusted Advisor
  • Pivot to the Future: Discovering Value and Creating Growth in a Disrupted World
  • 50 Things Every Young Lady Should Know: What to Do, What to Say, and   How to Behave
  • 50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know
  • How to Raise a Lady Revised and   Updated: A Civilized Guide to Helping Your Daughter Through Her Uncivilized Childhood
  • The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life
  • Agile for Everybody: Creating Fast, Flexible, and Customer-First Organizations
  • HCG 2.0 - Don't Starve, Eat Smart and Lose: A Modern Adaptation of the Traditional HCG Diet
  • Long Bright River
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • The Best Story Wins: How to Leverage Hollywood Storytelling in Business and Beyond
  • The Need
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Messy: The Power of Disorder to Transform Our Lives
  • The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
  • Gallipoli