Start by marking “Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss” as Want to Read:
Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss

Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss

In this modern-day fable, a woman who has suffered a terrible loss cooks up a special batch of "tear soup," blending the unique ingredients of her life into the grief process. Along the way she dispenses a recipe of sound advice for people who are in mourning.
Published April 9th 2007 by Grief Watch (first published January 1st 1999)

Start your review of Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss
Books Ring Mah Bell
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
THE GOOD:
1. Illustrations were wonderful.
2. In the edition I have, there are 2 pages of resources for those grieving. Everything from a link to the compassionate friends (for those that have lost a child) to links for those who have miscarried or lost someone to violence. Providing the info for specific support... excellent.
3. Also at the end of the book are a few lists on how to grieve, specific to your own grief, if a friend is grieving, if you are a man and grieving, if you grieve as a
Loretta
Illustrations were very nicely done. The story could have used more spices.

Stacy
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately, I recently found myself needing this book due to a recent loss that has been "More than I can bear". I have re-read it several times already.

It may appear to be a children's book, but I think that adults will get the most out of it. I definately think that this is a book that adults should read WITH their children, one on one, to answer any questions that may come up.

I thought the book did a beautiful job of showing how people who are grieving are feeling, (or can expect to feel)
Kathleen
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A counselor gave me a pile of books recently and this was one of them. Even though this is a picture book of relatively few pages, I think its target audience is more adult than child. The primary message is that everyone's grief is different, based on the person, the loss, etc. The book emphasizes that it is okay to cry and to feel like crap, even if other people tell you the time for "tear soup" is past.

The book had a lot of resources in the back for people who have suffered different kinds of
Arin Williams
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book follows Grandy, an older woman, as she works through a great loss by making “tear soup”. The authors use the idea of tear soup as a metaphor for coping with grief of any kind. Cooks looking to make tear soup pick a pot that is large enough to contain their creation, which starts with a base of tears, and is augmented with ingredients like fond memories, the support of friends, and yet more tears. The difficulty of sharing grief with others is discussed. Beautiful full-page ...more
Amber Schamel
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-have-s
This is a really great book for anyone who's suffered a loss. A friend showed me this book after someone gave it to her when she lost her 16 year old son. I then purchased it for another family I knew that had also lost a loved one. It is a great resource for helping children and adults alike realize that healing is a process, and it's okay to mourn, different people mourn differently, and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Anna
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the analogy, pictures, and useful bullets of information. Helpful without being prescriptive.
Khai
My high school choir teacher sent this book to me when my older brother passed away in my Junior Year of high school. It helped. And when people precious to me are dealing with loss, this is the book I share with them in hopes that it can offer some help as it did for me.

When it was stolen along with the rest of my books, I was devastated beyond words. And recently, my boyfriend gifted a new copy to me on our 4 year anniversary, knowing its value to me. It's good to be able to keep it close
Debbie Hoskins
A very sincere effort done by a family headed by Pat Schwiebert, a RN, who specializes in bereavement. A local church is using it for their "Blue Christmas" program. I think the information is solid, but can be found in other books.
It works well with an adult audience. I might try using it with elementary children who are experiencing grief.
However I have to say, as a quick read before going to bed, it was comforting and reassuring. I especially liked the illustration that had books listed with
Kara
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the best general book on grief and the grieving process I've read. I received it as a gift after our daughter was stillborn last year. Yes, it looks like a child's picture book, but don't let it's simple format fool you. It has incredible insight into the grieving process and puts it into a simple metaphor that makes it so understandable. It helps those going through it see that they are normal, and helps those trying to be there for the grieving person understand what their loved one is ...more
Denise
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this is a wonderful book for anyone who is afraid to grieve. Its message says it's ok and relates what one might be experiencing while others' lives continue on. I would recommend this as a gift to someone you know who might not know how to deal with grief, or to someone you know is grieving but don't know what to say to them.
Adrian
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very relatable. I think this book would be great to use in any type of grief group and to do an activity.
Julie
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone dealing with grief over anything, or their friends or family.
Recommended to Julie by: Mary Ellen
This book is not just for children even though it is picture-book style.

It is about dealing with grief and loss. It is beautifully written and illustrated. Grief is an individual thing and whether you are grieving or know someone who is, this book makes you feel that whatver you are feeling is ok. There is no right way or wrong way to grieve. No timetable.

Wayne's sister sent this to me and I received it today. I have already read it twice. It has been 3 months since I lost my mom and I feel like
Amanda
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a heartbreaking story. A friend gave this to Marci, and I decided to read it earlier today, as we mourn the fact that today marks one month since Bill left us. There is so much that this book gets exactly. right. My ONLY complaint is that, as usual, there are no examples in the book - text or illustrative - or in the resources provided at the back, that reference the loss of a sibling. WHY is our grief so.... unsung? Anyway, I do recommend this book - to everyone, but especially those of ...more
lesley
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very helpful book. At first I thought it was annoying and insipid, but the more I read it, the more I realized it was designed for someone exactly like me--a skeptical and irritable mourner who needed a soft and accessible channel to start healing from grief. Contains helpful tips not just for mourners but the people who love them. Especially good for the early days of grief when attention spans are short and the desire to tackle long-term projects, even chapter books, can be overwhelming. ...more
Janet
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
What can I say, I have suffered a loss and the owner of an independent book store recommended this title to my daughter. I liked the illustrations and it was good to see the use of the word concrete within the text as that is where I feel I have been in concrete and this is the only book/article I have encountered that uses the word concrete in relation to grief. Also the text is the right length because in the beginning of the grief process one doesn't want to or can't focus for any length of ...more
Sandra McLeod
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A grief counselor told me about this book and it's a book you'll want to read and reread. It approaches the grieving process in a unique way with so much wisdom and understanding. Grandy has just suffered a big loss in her life and, as she cooks up her own unique batch of "tear soup," she explains that everyone must grieve in their own way and make their own "tear soup." The full page illustrations are beautiful and this is a perfect gift for anyone who has experienced a loss.

Stacy Beck
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just read this book last night. Anyone that has had a loss, tragedy, great sadness, etc. this is such a wonderful picture book that explains how important it is to grieve, and do it the way that YOU need to, not the way people expect you to. Kids would enjoy it. I really liked the ending where several pages explained what to expect during the grieving process for different situations, or individuals.
Kris
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grief
A very thoughtful stranger mailed this book to us after learning about Jason's passing. The main point of the book is that grieving looks and feels different for everyone. There is no right or wrong way to grieve.

There are some very helpful tips at the end. It can be diffiult knowing how to act and what to day in these situations. These tips are a very good road map for everyone.
Marilyn
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
The intentions are good. It's true that people handle grief in different ways, and understanding and compassion are needed. The resources are helpful. But the book and its illustrations are too sentimental and cloying for my taste. The tear soup analogy gets tiresome. I see that many people love this book, so it may be worth a look to see if it would fill a need for you or someone you know.
Lisa
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
i found the information in this book very, very useful and timeless. i gave it three stars because i did not like the pictures. pretty silly, huh?
too bad i am still not very good with grief- my own or other people's. joe's hermit crab died, and i could only stand about .5 minutes of his grief.
Karen
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story about grief and how people handle it. Excellent story to read to children or adults.
Linda
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very real and moving book on how to deal with loss via death, divorce or loss in life.
Carole Sarofeen
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
thankyou @kathleenklink loved it. ...more
Doug Wells
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
"There are some parts that require help from friends and some parts you just have to do alone."
Heather  Erickson
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yesterday, my sister-in-law gave me a gift, the book “Tear Soup,” by Pat Schwiebert and Chuck DeLkyn. Many people had recommended it as one as especially manner for talking about grief with children. So, last night, I read it to my 3 daughters, ages 15, 17, and 20. It gave all of us some time to reflect on what we are all going through in the wake of my husband’s death, without the awkwardness that often accompanies digging deep into your emotions and baring your soul.

The story follows Grandy,
Meghan
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
My partner and I had a whole discussion about this book, because he’d read it as a child. I thought he was talking about Stone Soup, and that seemed like it might be right to him, except he remembered a basset hound that cried.

Months later, I came across this book recommended by the owner of the bookstore, and read it cover to cover. I’m VERY curious how I would have handled reading this as a child. I was very in my feelings when I was younger so I think I would have enjoyed the empathy that it
Christy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-books, death
Tear Soup, a recipe for healing after loss, is a family story book that centers around an old and somewhat wise woman, Grandy. Grandy has just suffered a big loss in her life and so she is headed to the kitchen to make a special batch of Tear Soup. To season her soup Grandy adds memories like the good times and the bad times, the silly and the sad times. She does not want to forget even one precious memory of her loss. Tear Soup recognizes and reinforces the fact that every member of the family ...more
Madison Ramsey
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This story is about dealing with grief. The main character, Grandy, is going through a period of deep grief, and gives tips on how to make tear soup. Grandy's recipe takes a while to come together, but through the process, she learns how to live with loss and what life looks like after a dark tragedy.

This story will be great to use to teach students about grief and how to cope with it. Students will experience tragedy on all different levels while growing up. So, this story will be a great way
Karen
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on the grief process. Very well written. I can see where it would be a very big help to the grieving person. It reassures on many levels in how to handle other people and your own feelings as you forge a new life. It doesn't center just on loss of a loved one although that is the principle focus, but also would be good for working through loss of other things. Illustrations are a bit dark for my taste and I think I would not have made the main character quite so old and ...more

• The Invisible String
  • Cry, Heart, But Never Break
  • The Memory Box A Book About Grief
  • The Fall of Freddie the Leaf: A Story Of Life For All Ages
  • Something Very Sad Happened: A Toddler's Guide to Understanding Death
  • Parenting Today's Adolescent: Helping Your Child Avoid the Traps of the Preteen and Teen Years
  • Lifetimes: A Beautiful Way to Explain Life and Death to Children
  • Gentle Willow: A Story for Children about Dying
  • Grace Based Discipline: How to Be at Your Best When Your Kids Are at Their Worst
  • "It's Cancer"
  • Ida, Always
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books)
  • Art and How It Works: An Introduction to Art for Children