Start by marking “The Private World of Tasha Tudor” as Want to Read:
The Private World of Tasha Tudor

The Private World of Tasha Tudor

Tasha Tudor has written and illustrated more than seventy-five beloved children's books since her first, Pumpkin Moonshine, in 1938. Now seventy-seven years old, she lives on a farm in southern Vermont, where she has recreated an early Victorian world. To capture this intimate portrait of Tasha Tudor, photographer Richard Brown followed her throughout a year on her farm. B ...more
Published October 28th 1992 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Private World of Tasha Tudor, please sign up.
Stephanie Johnson I like the 1860's. Sewing machines were gaining ground, there were some advancements in things, but no electricity or technology the way it's thought…moreI like the 1860's. Sewing machines were gaining ground, there were some advancements in things, but no electricity or technology the way it's thought of now. Computers, cell phones, and things like that take up too much of people's lives anymore. you can't even walk in a store or on the street without someone bumping into you because they are stuck in their phone. I love her gardens and I'm working on getting mine to be paradise on earth. (less)

Negin
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Tasha Tudor lived a simple, country life on a farm in Vermont. When I say simple, I mean back to the 1800’s simple.

This book is a delightful collection of photos and illustrations. Some of her words are included, but not as many as I would have liked. There really isn’t that much to read.

I bought it used and the sellers included a few news clippings about her children and the fight over her estate after her death. What a nightmare.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“I always wanted to live in Vermont
Hilary
This book is a collection of photographs of Tasha Tudors beautiful home and garden, her pets, dresses, and her illustrations. Tasha Tudor talks us through her life, her house and the seasons. I loved the description of the nativity scene or 'creche' as Tasha called it, she made one in the woods and candles lit the way, how magical! The dolls house is amazing, I loved reading about the doll's Christmas, something we always did, there's so much to look at in this book.

Read on open library
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gush, gush. I guess I've become one of those crazy fans of fill-in-the-blank-dead-author who thinks about attending conventions dedicated to them, or at least visiting their museum. Tudor's my kind of gal. The best part of this book (in comparison to its counterparts, Tasha Tudor's Garden, Tasha Tudor's Heirloom Crafts, Forever Christmas, etc.) is that she wrote many parts of it, so you get her voice, not just someone's impression of her "Yankee practicality". What was most shocking to me was th ...more
Brenda Cregor
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Tasha Tudor...doesn't that sound like the name of someone who would live life as if in the 1830's?
This sweet determined creative amazing lady has sucked the marrow out of the bones of life in the most unassuming quiet manner.
I used to imagine that when I was old, I would style my hair in two long salt and pepper braids and go into the desert and paint sun-bleached cow skulls and giant flowers in O'Keefe style.
After reading this simple book, I would much rather wear long antique skirts and pet
Melinda
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful companion book to read after Bethany Tudor's sweet biography of her mother, "Drawn from New England". (see my review at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... ).
Photographs provide a beautiful view of those things Tasha loves and also gives more insight into Tasha Tudor as an artist.

Fascinatingly enough, Tasha creates art as she goes through her day! She does not have an artist's studio, she paints at a table in the corner of her kitchen. Everything she turns her hand
Dianna
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book just fascinates me. Sometimes I dream of turning against the times and living like they did two hundred years ago, but Tasha Tudor has actually done it. This book is fairly informal, just like she were talking to you. I love the little quotes that pepper her conversation, and her strong, original opinions and common sense. The photos add so much to the book too, showing her in the beautiful setting she has created for herself.

Definitely recommended if you like her work or if you like
Leslie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely devoured this book. It is mainly photographs with some writing by Tasha Tudor. I did not grow up knowing Tasha Tudor as a children’s book illustrator. I only recently was introduced to her and I find her fascinating. Her outlook on life and her way of living is incredibly old fashioned but so quaint. She even says in the book that she realizes that people look at her through rose-colored glasses but she’s only human. I definitely have an idealized version of her and can’t wait to re ...more
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Comfort food in book form. So lovely!
Alana/MiaTheReader
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book in an hour on a Sunday afternoon, and truly enjoyed every word about the life Tasha Tudor has made for herself. The photos were fascinating, but it was really the combination of direct quotes from her about life that made it a delight. I wouldn't say I see the world through quite the same lens that Tasha Tudor does, but I enjoyed this glimpse into her life just the same, and gleaned some practical wisdom along the way.
Summer
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her garden. Her drawings and paintings. Her approach to life is refreshing and wonderful! I loved reading this book today as we were cozy in the house while a blizzard was blowing its best. A cup of tea and dreams of a garden like hers made reading her book a complete pleasure. I love how simplistic her life is yet how rewarding and happy she is with it. A lot of CM lifestyle philosophy there too. It makes me think of when she was featured in Victoria magazine.
Juli Anna
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely the best of the Tudor bios, with some of the most engaging photographs.
Zane Jones
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The photos in this were absolute magic... It's so fun to daydream about living the way Tasha Tudor did, even if it's not realistic for me. Her antique clothes were gorgeous, and I loved that she wore them on everyday occasions.

All in all, a quick and delightful read.
Poiema
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I had a rush of memories after reading about Tasha Tudor's death last week, and I headed to the bookshelf to pull out my well-worn copy of this book to reminisce. It was the ONLY book that engaged my daughter Joy when she was a toddler. Her older siblings sat in my lap by the hour as we read book after book. Not Joy. She displayed an independent spirit from the first and would grab the book out of my hand while announcing, "I read it MYSELF!" Then she would run to a quiet corner somewhere and ja ...more
Danette
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the most beautiful and peaceful books I have ever read. And the photography must be experienced.
Tasha dressed in her antiquated clothing, lived off the land, designed and tended gorgeous gardens,surrounded herself with her beloved animals and was content with herself and the world around her. Something to be aspired to. This remarkable woman wrote and illustrated more than 75 children's books.

A favorite quote from this book:
"Why do women want to dress like men when they're fortuna
Rachel
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book!! Wonderful pictures! I wish it were longer! I was glued to this book, I just thought I would read a few pages before going to sleep, and I ended up reading the whole thing in an hour and a half. And I wish I knew about her when I was growing up, but I am glad I know about her now. I too have felt just like her, having a love for old fashioned things and feeling as if I might belong in the 1800s. This woman is inspiring and it makes me hope that someday I can be living like ...more
Carly
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tasha Tudor is an author/illustrator of many children's books, but I think she is best known for living in an early 1800s style. This book lets you look at the seasons through this amazing woman's life. The pictures are amazing, but the descriptions are helpful and insightful as well. If you have ever been interested in the "long ago" this book is for you. The beauty of this woman's life makes us all ready to forsake all modern "conveniences" and go live with her.
Caroline
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, own
This is a window into the life of author and illustrator Tasha Tudor. She lived a simple, hardworking life on her beautiful farm in Vermont, and her own words illustrate these lovely photographs. Despite all this beauty, I notice a rather self-centered and godless worldview. It's a strange combination, but there is still much to enjoy here.
Elizabeth
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tasha Tudor was a woman of the past with progressive ideals. I gave this book 4 stars for the opportunity to peak into her artistic genius as an illustrator, bohemian lifestyle without really ever knowing her obviously profound life.
Kecia
Sep 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who think they "can't live without" stuff
Shelves: life_stories
A lovely book about a woman who lives life on her own terms. I wish there was more of her story....it's way to short!
Kim
Quotes I Liked:

"But anything worthwhile takes time. I do an hour a day. It's the best way to get this sort of thing done, little by little."

“Why do women want to dress like men when they’re fortunate enough to be women? Why lose femininity, which is one of our greatest charms? We get more accomplished by being charming than we would be flaunting around in pants and smoking. I’m very fond of men. I think they are wonderful creatures. I love them dearly. But I don’t want to look like one. When wom
Melody Schwarting
Gorgeous photographs, precious words from Tudor, and sweet illustrations. She loves corgis and old ways of life so we're basically soulmates.

"Nowadays, people are so jeezled up. If they took some chamomile tea and spent more time rocking on the porch in the evening listening to the liquid song of the hermit thrush, they might enjoy life more."
Donna
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Tasha would have been 104 years today, so I thought I would read her illustrated memoir today because I purchased this book as my special birthday month gift. A beautiful and peaceful read of a woman's life who lived it as she pleased. Happy birthday, Tasha.
Carolyn Page
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This lady was a little pocket of history and old-fashioned gentility in an increasingly crazy world. If you don't know much about this illustrator and author, I'd recommend this books as sort of an illustrated peek into her daily life.
Crystal W
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Short & sweet. I can relate with this lady.
Mandy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the lifestyle Tasha Tudor led and it resonates with me and my desires.
Lisa Chapman
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book and I look at it over and over. It's broken down by seasons and she shares her story and her life as an artist. She was a lovely lady and talented artist, who lived life on her own terms.
Mria Quijada
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I might buy this book for my family to explain why I never want to come into town..
Lirazel
My only complaint is that it isn't longer.
Ellen
Tasha was her own woman. Lead her own life the way she wanted to. Did lovely watercolours and children's book illustrations and anthropomorphized her dolls among other things. Her dolls sent her children letters (which of course were miniature) and had the best wardrobes. Also made puppets and did puppet shows. Collected 19th C ladies clothing and wore many an old dress or sewed new versions of old dresses. Fabulous gardens. At one point she had 14 corgis because she loved them. Liked to do ever ...more
Melissa
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Picked this off Grammie's shelf as we were headed for the car and read it on the way to Anacortes. Tasha Tudor! I had no idea what a beautiful eccentricity she is. I think I thought, ignorantly, that the books really had been written in the nineteenth century. I wish I'd written down some quotes because she says all kinds of wonderful things in here, describing her marionette shows, insisting on always using the lovelier, common names for all her plants, off-handedly saying she likes men but doe ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tasha Tudor's Garden
  • The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • At Home with Beatrix Potter: The Creator of Peter Rabbit
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
  • Laura's Album: A Remembrance Scrapbook of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Village in a Valley
  • Trowel and Error: Over 700 Organic Remedies, Shortcuts, and Tips for the Gardener
  • Beatrix Potter's Journal
  • Castles in the Air: The Restoration Adventures of Two Young Optimists and a Crumbling Old Mansion
  • Fanny Burney: A Biography
  • Letters From Eden: A Year at Home, in the Woods
  • Martha Washington: First Lady of Liberty
  • From the Ground Up: The Story of a First Garden
  • Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature
  • Vineyard Seasons: More from the Heart of the Home
  • The Organic Machine: The Remaking of the Columbia River
  • The Winter Child
Tasha Tudor was an American illustrator and author of children's books.
“You should see my corgis at sunset in the snow. It's their finest hour. About five o'clock they glow like copper. Then they come in and lie in front of the fire like a string of sausages.” 25 likes
“I enjoy solitude. It's probably selfish, but why bother about it. Life is much too important, as Oscar Wilde said, to be taken seriously. I feel so sorry for those mothers who are devastated by loneliness when their children fly the coop and don't want to live at home anymore. They feel lost, but look what exciting things can be done. Life isn't long enough to do all you could accomplish. And what a privilege to be alive. In spite of all the pollutions and horrors, how beautiful this world is. Supposing you only saw the stars once every year. Think what you would think. The wonder of it!” 14 likes