Start by marking “Exile (The Oneness Cycle #1)” as Want to Read:
Exile (The Oneness Cycle #1)

Exile

(The Oneness Cycle #1)

The battle is real. Page-turning, suspenseful Christian fantasy on the border between earth and spirit.
When Tyler fishes the girl out of the bay, he thinks she's dead.

She wishes she was.

For Reese, life ended when the supernatural entity called the Oneness threw her out. For Tyler, dredging Reese out of the water means life is nothing he thought.

In a world where the
Published January 10th 2014 by Little Dozen Press (first published June 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exile

Start your review of Exile (The Oneness Cycle #1)
Claire Banschbach
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5

I was a bit unsure in starting this book. It's not really the type of book I typically read. But I'm really glad I did. It was very well written and kept me interested the whole way through.

The main premise of the story, with the Oneness and the powers they had was really intriguing. I liked Reese and her struggles were very real. The boys were also great characters. I did like Chris a little more, but both he and Tyler had great development. I'm interested to see how they continue to
Jerry
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting start; wonder how things progress from here?
Lyndon
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomson, an excellent writer, presents a solid angels v demons saga but with a slightly different slant - this story concerns the Oneness, a 3rd party (human in nature) who play a prominent role in the spiritual battles that serve (and don't overwhelm) a nicely drawn character- and story-driven plot. Written with a similar Christian worldview as This Present Darkness (the Peretti classic that basically launched this genre of Christian fiction), Exile has its own storyline, setting, and dilemma ...more
Kellyn Roth
It was … interesting. It kind of creeped me out, but not too badly. The whole concept of demon-possession is scary. I know it’s a thing, but … I don’t really want to think about it. The Oneness is a cool idea, though.

Despite that, it was a relatively good book. The plot and characters unfolded and flowed naturally. Good balance of events vs. dialogue vs. description. Overall, the message was good.

Read my complete review here.

~Kellyn Roth
Maggie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3 Stars.

Oh book, you make it so hard to rate you.

Unfortunately I am going to start off with the things that I didn't like about the book first.

First off, when I started this book I was immediately thinking I would end up rating it one star, maybe two at the most. The story was not bad at all, but the writing wasn't that great. In the beginning it was mostly telling and no showing. It was difficult for me to see some of the scenes clearly because of a lack of well developed descriptive writing,
Terry Conrad
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm still not sure how many stars to give this book. I read this author's The Seventh World Trilogy several years ago. I really enjoyed it and preferred that writing style to this book. I don't like it when a sentence is interrupted in the middle to give the person's thoughts on something before the sentence is finished. That's distracting to me. It had a lot of action so I liked that.
I read all the reviews and can understand the 2 stars to the 5 stars. most everyone had good reasons for their
Emily
May 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is not the type of book that I typically read at all. I am not a fan of "Christian fantasy" like this book was, and from the beginning, I didn't feel like I'd be finishing it. I did want to give it a chance, as I enjoyed the other books that I have read from Rachel Starr Thomson much better. I was disappointed in this book, but am hoping that any more I read from this author will be much more enjoyable!
Alyssa
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I finally finished Exile! I took a long time to read it, but at no fault of the book. I was in a major reading slump after finishing an amazing book!
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, suspense, action
This review has been hard for me to write because I really wanted to like this book and think the author has such a good heart and good intentions writing it that I want to support Christian writers but I just didn’t think this book was good.

Plot: A young girl is fished out of the water by two young men and then the three (plus some other minor characters) embark on journey that is both physical and spiritual. They encounter deception and healing, intense situations and introspective reflection.
Anne Campbell
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is a book difficult to impossible to put down. This is first of eight novels in The Oneness Cycle.

Chris is the son of a reluctant Oneness member, Diane; and Tyler, his best friend, had in most respects been adopted by her. Chris and Tyler do everything together--fishing, fighting, and rescuing a drowning girl.

Reese is that girl. She had deliberately jumped off that cliff, but apparently the One wasn't done with her yet. Her cell leader had exiled her--which was impossible. One couldn't be
Erin Liberty
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Jesus was not in those book

For a Christian writer I was very surprised and disappointed that Jesus was not ever mentioned in this book. She talked about heaven, talked about angels and it talked about demons but never once did it talk about Jesus. There are many opportunities for this author share with the reader how to become part of the Oneness through salvation in the death burial and risen Christ, but never once did she mention it. What she did say was that it was difficult and obscure to
Janet Sketchley
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On a stormy sea, fishing buddies Tyler and Chris discover a young woman in their net. As if that’s not startling enough, once she’s dry and recovering in their cottage, they hear a window break and rush to find her holding a sword and claiming to have killed a demon. On the floor lies a dead bat, but Chris is sure he saw something larger before it shrank.

So opens Exile, book 1 in The Oneness Cycle. The young woman, Reese, has been exiled from her group of believers. That shouldn’t be possible,
Jo
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars for this Christian fantasy. Interesting analogous interpretation of what it means to be part of the family of God in the Oneness, although there is no explicit mention of God in the book. But I think that's very much the author's intention.

I have been wavering between three and four stars throughout reading, so settled on the half star. It was enjoyable, but not so gripping that I'm rushing to buy the remaining two books in the trilogy.
Tammy
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story

I really liked the story and the characters, but I felt the writing could have flowed better. The author also does not give a lot of details, so I had to work a little more to visualize the story in my mind. It was very choppy at first, but I stuck with it because the idea of the oneness intrigued me. I will read the second book in the series and see if the writing is better.
Mary Loomis
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I am a huge fan of Frank Peretti books and found this book to be comparable. There were a few parts that drug out a bit, but overall the story and characters were engaging and the message that applies to all believers that we can never be truly exiled is powerful.

Rated 4.5 stars and rounded up to 5
Suzie Shychuk
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

Once again an enjoyable read. Sometimes it was a little confusing especially at the beginning. I needed a little more background to piece it all together. In all it pushed me to want to read the next
Kelly Wilborn
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, actually I love the series. It has great characters and the supernatural edge is fantastic. It is just the right amount of truth and fantasy!!! Best Series I have read in a long time.
Lynda Knapp
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book

This is definitely a science fiction/fantasy story. I liked the characters and thought the book was well-written. I don't know if I would continue this series but I would recommend it for those who are fans of a science fiction or fantasy book.
Laura Sweat
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The characters are likable and the story kept me reading. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Johnna Eisenbarth
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Review: Exile

This was a different book for me. It was more like si-fi fiction and I was a bit confused at times. It kept me engaged to see what would happen next.
Shaylah Holmesby
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

Certainly gets you thinking of what is and what isn't ..what a great read couldn't put it down a great page turner
Michelle
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I could not put it down.
Gina Burris
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me from page 1. I'm now starting the 5th book "Rise" and this series has not been a disappointment. One of my favorite series and authors. I can't wait to read more from Rachel Starr Thomson.
Oh My Bookness
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reese is overcome by unbearable grief and loss and decides to jump off a cliff where her life her ends. Without understanding or a clue, her life ends when the supernatural entity the oneses threw her out. She is then unexpectedly rescued by two young men. This leads to a series of events culminating in a battle between Onesness and devils.

The thing is is what are Oneness? What exactly are Oneness? Are they spirits? lost souls? Poltergeist? Spirits who failed to move on? Well all Good questions.
Karis
I had some mixed feelings when starting this book because it was quite different from the genre I normally read. However I received a free copy of Exiles, book one in The Oneness Cycle, from the author Rachel Starr Thomson. So I though I would give it a try. Diving into the first few chapters of the book, I was a little skeptical. My skepticism slowly faded as I became absorbed into the story.

Two close friends, Tyler and Chris are out fishing on the sea when a storm blows in. As they are
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress...

I received a copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Reese is an exile from the Oneness. Tyler and Chris have just found themselves in the middle of a supernatural ambush. It's going to take more than cooperation to avert this threat.

Exile is an action-packed paranormal romp that also features elements of spirituality and mystery. This book was pitched as a “Christian paranormal fantasy”
R.
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, contemporary
I was at first rather apprehensive when I picked up this book (the first I've read by this author). First of all, the cover is mysteriously foreboding (though I must admit that I kinda like it). And then, it has demons. While I do believe that they exist in real life, the way they break windows, etc. in the first few chapters, made me a bit apprehensive since demons do not attack born-again believers in that way. But the book quickly redeemed itself to me. While it does take place in "our world" ...more
Bailey Baxter
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While Exile is about spiritual warfare, it's not a Frank Peretti rip-off. To me, it was kind of an allegory. What we know as "Christians" are part of the "Oneness." And they have spiritual gifts to fight demonic powers. Without going into too many details, let's just let me say there are plenty of spiritual bad boys for the Oneness to battle.

But, on a spiritual level, Exile encouraged me. It reminded me of the power of prayer. It reminded me that each Christian has a role to play in fighting
AnnaScott
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A mysterious girl. A dark night. A frantic rescue attempt. When Tyler and Chris are out fishing one night, little did they expect to rescue a girl from drowning. They expected even less that this girl would have such a huge impact on their lives.

Reese has a story. A sadness so great it consumes her. Little did she expect to find the truth about it.

A story filled with good and bad, light and dark, battling each other in a most real way.

I thought this was a fascinating book. It was nothing like
Carol Brandon
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two fishermen, Chris and Tyler, rescue a girl from the sea on a stormy night. It turns out that she had jumped from the cliff. But why? Reese has been kicked out of the supernatural group called the Oneness. Chris has ties to the Oneness, but it’s been buried his whole life. The Oneness is analogous to Christians in that one must make the decision to become part of it. Members protect the towns they live in from the demonic. As Reese is attacked several times, by demons, Tyler and Chris come to ...more

• Retribution (Psychic Detective Kate Pierce Crime Thriller #1)
  • His Hand In the Storm (Chief Inspector Gray James #1)
  • Works of Darkness (Matt Foley/Sara Bradford, #1)
  • Trustworthy (On My Honor Series Book 1)
  • Final Plague (Zero Hour #6)
  • Infestation (A Small Town Nightmare, #1)
  • The Crystal Series Boxed Set: Searchlight, Surrender & Insurrection (The Crystal Series #1-3)
  • Out of a Dream (Sandy Cove #1)
  • Shackles
  • Total Collapse (Zero Hour #5)
  • Marking Time (The Immortal Descendants, #1)
  • Mortal (The Books of Mortals, #2)
  • The Keeper: A Short Story Prequel to Forbidden
  • Valérian et Laureline l'Intégrale, volume 1 (Valérian, #0-2 omnibus)
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Foreclosed (Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries #1)
  • Winter's Secret (Northern Intrigue, #1)
  • Madhouse
Rachel Starr Thomson is in love with Jesus and convinced the gospel will change the world.

Rachel is a woman of many talents and even more interests: she’s a writer, editor, indie publisher, singer, speaker, Bible study teacher, and world traveler. The author of the Seventh World Trilogy, The Oneness Cycle, and many other books, she also tours North America and other parts of the world as a speaker

The Oneness Cycle (5 books)
  • Hive (The Oneness Cycle #2)
  • Attack (The Oneness Cycle #3)
  • Renegade (The Oneness Cycle #4)
  • Rise (The Oneness Cycle #5)