Start by marking “The Enigma of Amigara Fault” as Want to Read:
The Enigma of Amigara Fault

The Enigma of Amigara Fault

This is not a book but a loose chapter of Gyo: Volume 2.

The Enigma of Amigara Fault (Amigara means "Empty Shell") is a short story originally published along with the second volume of Junji Ito's Gyo, but has nothing to do with the story.

People are being unnaturally drawn into a mountainside fault. A boy named Owaki, and a girl, Yoshida, meet on Amigara Mountain, where an
Published 2002 by Shogakukan

To ask other readers questions about The Enigma of Amigara Fault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enigma of Amigara Fault

Start your review of The Enigma of Amigara Fault
karen
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
WELCOME TO DECEMBER PROJECT!

last year, i carved out my own short story advent calendar as my project for december, and it was so much fun i decided to do it again this year! so, each day during the month of december, i will be reading a short story and doing the barest minimum of a review because ain't no one got time for that and i'm already so far behind in all the things. however, i will be posting story links in case anyone wants to read the stories themselves and show off how maybe someone
Mir
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a well-done and pretty creepy story about mysterious ancient holes in a hillside. I think it would have been more disturbing without the last couple pages, though, with the situation left completely unknown.
Will M.
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, 2016, anime-manga
I didn't get scared or creeped out. I honestly don't know what the fuss is about with this.
Scarlet
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Scarlet by: Blair's review

A very brief horror manga that leaves a substantial impression of lingering unease. I loved the outrageously bizarre concept - mysterious human-shaped tunnels show up on a mountainside following an earthquake and people are compelled to enter the ones they identify as "their holes" - and the very unnerving conclusion. I won't go as far as to call it scary, but that last page sure made my stomach churn. The neat, black-and-white artwork only starkly highlights the gruesomeness of the plot.

Ito giv
Kayla Dawn
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5*
Elle
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-japan
3* STARS!

From the master of bizarre story, Junji Ito really make my head hurts. Just a strange phenomenon appears after an earthquake. It wasn't disturbing but really has eerie feeling. No explanation need but the ending is totally unexpected.
Nene
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I give this four stars, but I'll never (never, never, never) fucking ever read it again.

(There's something terribly wrong with you, Junji Ito.)
Sagar
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Such a bizarre short story.
Blair
Internet reads, 1 of 2: an extremely creepy tale of horror in graphic (mini-)novel form. The characters are drawn to Amigara Mountain, where holes shaped like people have inexplicably appeared in the mountainside rock. Like many who have reviewed this, I would've liked some more explanation; the idea of the holes being an exact fit for certain people - and indeed, how people recognise these holes are 'theirs' when an individual's specific outline is surely not so distinctive anyone'd spot it imm ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read The Enigma of Amigara fault as a bonus manga chapter in Viz Media's publication of Gyo, another great horror work of Junji Ito.

This is a short yet creepily powerful story. It is something that gives people nightmares, you know, that sort of dream where you are trapped and alone in a dark, confined place and you are so happy to realize later, perhaps moments before waking up that it is just another bad dream? That's this story.

I highly recommend this one if you are looking for a one-s
JL Shioshita
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story freaked me out. I don't even know why. It's like that urge you sometimes get when you stand on the edge of a high cliff or building looking down, and you feel like you could just jump. You're horribly drawn to this obsessive idea of jumping. That's what this story reminds me of, except remove the jumping from a high place part and replace it with a claustrophobic nightmare and you'll get the picture.
Χαρά Ζ.
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit, that was creepier than the main story xD
Cheese
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Freaky!! A very short read but a good one.
Jason Howl
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect scary story. If I had to pick one work to represent horror, this might be it. It presents the unknown, fear of the inevitable, loss of someone you care about, loss of control, fear of change, body horror, claustrophobia... All in just a few pages.
Kirsten Tattersall
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well that was utterly horrifying
Hannah Dahlberg-Dodd
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good, but it definitely disturbed me for days afterwards.
Mission Blue
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: english
It totally reminded me of that bizarre phobia some ppl have of holes. I don't remember its name but I think I read about it in some article related to AHS.
The Enigma of Amigara Fault is not dead scary, but this level of creepiness is only to be found in Mangas.
Plus, I'm already reading UZUMAKI by the same author.
Alexine
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this.

Read this when you're alone.

Read this when it's midnight.

Read this when you have the lights off and there's nothing but the sound of you breathing.

I read this during daytime, lights full blast, and this shit creeped me the fuck out. Describing it to others creeped them out. I can only imagine reading it in the perfect atmosphere (alone, in the middle of the night, in darkness and silence) would create awesome, terrifying nightmares.
jade
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
brief, bizarre, bonkers. thank you, junji ito.

i'm sure you've all heard of that creepy-ass story about people going into the mountains, drawn to them for some unknown reason, and then going absolutely apeshit over a bunch of holes in the mountain side.

which, mysteriously enough, are made to fit most of the hikers perfectly.

if you haven't heard of it, then it's time to read this. won't take you more than ten minutes.

krr, krr, motherfuckers.

4.0 stars.
s. ✧
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of Junji Ito's finest. As bone-chilling and unearthly as one can imagine. Largely devoid of the usual body-horror and visceral gore dominating most of his work, this installment opts instead for tapping into our latent fears by introducing a scenario that seems absurd at first, but rapidly mutates into something I can only describe as pure, unequivocal Nightmare Fuel.
Cee (The Mistress Case)
It wasn't goosebump-scary. Just fuck-this-shit-is-crazy creepy.

You can find the manga online and read it for yourself.

The graphics are disturbing, so if you don't want to see it, just look up the plot of the story.
Moira
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
WOW. I like this kind of horror.
Zuky the BookBum
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This seriously gave me the creeps. Not only was the story terrifying, the idea of the holes in the cliff face makes me feel sick! (Trypophobia loser right here)
Tanzila Tabassum Zisha (Annabel Lee)
Weird and creepy as shit.
Fraser Burnett
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first Ito that I read. Remains my favourite.
Colona Public Library
This is a really short story, so you can finish it in about 10 min. and enjoy the art and such in that time easily.

I seen references to this story after watching Steven Universe and decided to read it for myself. There is a fault that opened up that has human silhouette holes in them that are too deep to even be calculated. Scientists are baffled because of how strange this event is and it gets weirder as people come from all around searching for their holes. Many of them go in never to be seen
Suzanne
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014, horror
Gaaaahh....

This was originally published as part of another collection, but you can also read it online here. (Don't forget that the panels will progress right to left.)
K.
Junji Ito is a master of the creepy and horrifying.

bookreaderinluv
Such a boring creepypasta. I didn't get the goosebumps, anything. I was expecting so much since I heard good things about this mini manga. But it wasn't that good or entertaining.
Avery
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, junji-ito
The short manga is absolutely terrifying! After reading it, chills continue to run through my body. The Enigma of Amigara Fault is horror in the truest sense.

Owaki and Yoshida are both traveling to the Amigara Fault on Amigara Mountain when they meet.Both, for some unknown reason, have been drawn to the mountain. The reason they have been drawn to the fault is absolutely terrifying.

The manga is only 33 pages but Ito does not waste a single page. I can see myself remembering this story for year
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• 不安の種 1 (Fuan no Tane, #1)
  • Homunculus 1
  • 不安の種 2 (Fuan no Tane, #2)
  • 血の轍 1 [Chi no Wadachi 1] (A Trail of Blood, #1)
  • 不安の種 3 (Fuan no Tane, #3)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 9
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1
  • 後遺症ラジオ 1 [Kouishou Radio 1] (PTSD Radio, #1)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 5
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 4
  • PTSD Radio, Vol. 2 (PTSD Radio, #2)
  • 血の轍 6 [Chi no Wadachi 6] (A Trail of Blood, #6)
  • Super-Dimensional Love Gun
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 6
  • 血の轍 8 [Chi no Wadachi 8] (A Trail of Blood, #8)
  • 血の轍 2 [Chi no Wadachi 2] (A Trail of Blood, #2)
Junji Itō (伊藤潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner o ...more