Start by marking “The Sentinel” as Want to Read:
The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Since the day he was dropped off at a Federation camp by parents who used him to gain political favor, cybernetic killing machine Soldier Fourteen existed only to carry out his orders. But when commanded to kill a baby girl, he defies his commander and deserts the Federation, seeking a place in the universe for himself and the defenseless innocent he’s promised to protect. ...more
Published June 14th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about The Sentinel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sentinel

Start your review of The Sentinel
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

It’s very hard for me to say no to a gentle giant and this right here totally gave me what I wanted.

Take one soldier, conditioned and raised to be a killing machine with hardly any free will. Toss in circumstance that lets him disconnect briefly with the hive mind and suddenly he feels a connection and an obligation to an orphaned baby. Mix in an escape to a remote planet and there he falls for another who completes his family.

This was touching and sweet - the programmed mentality never
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I won't rate this story. I refuse. Because I hated it. But also loved it on some weird, primal level.

Eden Winters pulled my heart out of my chest and stomped on it for good measure.

The epilogue was brutal in the most benign way possible, and the last couple chapters fucking slayed me. I sobbed for reals, dabbing at my eyes with my sweatshirt for lack of a tissue.

This seems to be a pattern. Winters' Duet had me crying my eyes out in the middle of a public pool (I got a lot of concerned looks,
Ami

I didn't love this as much as the other reviewers. GULP!! Sometimes I feel that I'm being very nitpicky. Sorry

Until half-way, I loved it -- I thought the scene where Fourteen first met the baby, the emotion he felt for this helpless human child was so intense. It was a powerful scene. I choked up because of it. Here was a soldier who trained not to feel human emotion but he remembered one time ago, where he had a 'Sister', and this baby reminded him of that time, that he was willing to
Deeze
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh WOW. Words fail me.

This was an extraordinary story.

The world Eden Winters took me too was amazing.

The story she told me was riveting.

The love these men shared was beautiful.

The ending could not have been any more perfect.

This is another of those stories that leave me feeling wrung out. Not since reading A Solid Core of Alpha have I felt such a strong reaction.

Go grab your tissues and read this story.
Barbara➰
Fourteen is programmed to do a job. He doesn't ask questions he just does it. But when he encounters a sweet baby girl, he just can't pull the trigger.

Connell is just living his life day to day. He has no mate beside him to get him out of bed in the morning or come home to at night. But when a stranger appears with a baby, he knows he has to help. And there's nothing better than falling in love with them both.

Wow! A short sci-fi story that packs a punch. I picked this up because I was looking
Emma Sea
Eden Winters made me cry like a baby.

~Volha~
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved this story so much. Despite it being short, it had all the feels - pain, angst, love, despair, happiness and sense of belonging. It takes a small baby to bring the humanity back to a soldier whose will has not been his own for years. The decisions that he makes from that moment on bring him to the man who will be his family, who will teach him how to love and cherish, who will love him no matter what. The story is told from dual POV which was a nice surprise. I liked that Fourteen ...more
Monika
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Wow! That was amazing, everything about it was amazing. Rarely do you find a novella that gives you a complete story, this one definitely did. The world building was unbelievable I could easily visualize the setting and everything that happens. Reading The Sentinel was like watching a movie in my head and the emotions of these two men poured off the pages.

It’s such an extraordinary story in every way I could never do it justice with my review. I don’t have the ability to express how it
Martin
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This novella is simply awesome. The talent of the authors contributing to the 'Love Has No Boundaries' project is totally amazing!

Fourteen is a soldier of the Federation: A muscled killing machine whose skin-tight fighting suit is a miracle of nanotechnology that is able to protect him, heal his wounds, feed him and control his brain to keep him in line with the Federation's commands.

During a fight on a remote planet, Fourteen is wounded and the com-link with his command fails. So for the first
Bev

Yet another story from the LHNB event, it's been wonderful folks!! The standard has been extremely high, and I've still got a load of stories to read. Really liked this one. 4.5 stars and

14, a cybernetic soldier in the Federation's army, has found a mother and baby on a planet that they (the Federation) are in the process of ridding of life, simply because they're in the way. The mother unfortunately dies, but 14 promises her that he will save her baby, and he does!!

It's such a lovely story
Lucy
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I normally don't read sci fi and didn't expect that's what this was. The picture and prompt caught me and so I thought I'd give it a try. And then realized - this story is amazing. Fourteen has been through so much, had a horrific childhood and a terrible family. To go through what he did and still manage to break training, oh man, the power of love. Yes, it made me cry. And the ending is perfect!
Steelwhisper
This was well-written, with crisp, quite elegant prose and an agreeable authorial voice.

However, I really dislike far too obvious manipulation of my feelings. There are very few tearjerkers I tolerate, and this didn't belong to them. Instead I had this distinct "Old Yeller" feeling.

I agree with Ami that up to roughly 40-50% the story was fine. I was even prepared to forgive the author a potential death in combat to save the girl and the lover. But the way this went? Nope. I really hate being
Mandapanda
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. God dammit you made me cry! Great Scifi romance about a robotic soldier who learns how to love. The ''I'll be back' was such an Arnie flashback. Loved it. Then the ending... Sob. So goooood! I need a tissue.
Silkeeeeeereads
Once again I'm still sniffing. This was totally unexpected. From the picture and little blurb from Jen, I wasn't expecting a big paranormal, futuristic soldier. As I began reading, I thought I might be disappointed. Oh contraire. This was a beautiful, heart wrenching, sweet, sexy little read that will warm your heart and obviously make you spill tears.

Thanks to Eden for sharing.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Candice
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Candice by: Deeze
I normally don't read futuristic/sci-fi stories, but a friend recommended that I should read it and I'm glad I did. The story was wonderful, the author's descriptions made me able to visualize these characters and the world created so easily. What I didn't expect was the emotional impact of the story, very few stories really deliver that so unexpectedly. Amazing story.
Feliz
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, just so beautiful. From the spark of humanity that slept under Fourteen's man-machine exterior to Connell's courageous trust... and of course, Pearl, the little treasure that brought them all together. This is a wonderful, moving and poignant story.
Xing
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't really know what I was expecting. Certainly not a short story that reminded me of a 1980s romanticized science fiction anime. Nor a cybernetically enhanced soldier that reminds me of:

Who is able to overcome his programming and become the gentle giant of a father to a baby girl. But let's ignore the use of onomatopoeia (bong, bong, bong; vrk vrk vrk) and very cheesy elements of all our favorite '80s science fiction movies still on VHS. Don't go into this expecting the type of cutting
Dee Wy
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing world Eden has created here and the romance was a slow build that culminated in surprising and very fulfilling ways. Adding the child to the mix made this story stand out even more. Loved every minute of this journey with Connell and Fourteen to their Happily Ever After which takes on a special meaning in this story!
Rachel
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, dritc, scifi
Anyone remember the movie Soldier? 1998, Kurt Russell is a soldier trained from infancy, fighting some galactic war, takes refuge with a refugee group living primitively on some abandoned planet and his socialization from merciless institutionalized drone to popular hero commences. *guessing no one raises their hand at that question* You shouldn’t remember it, it is a terrible and forgettable formulaic action adventure laced with sap to draw every audience member in - and a guilty pleasure of ...more
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
What a wonderful story! I love SciFi and this is definitely that but with so much twist it feels fresh and unique. I loved the last several chapters - and what a unique way to end!
Jason Bradley
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful read!
Serena Yates
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, science-fiction
What an absolutely brilliant story. For me, this is exactly what I look for in good science fiction, well, one possible successful combination of many: great technology, its effect on humans, and showing the consequences of us learning to deal with it or how to defeat it. And in this case, the whole process is driven by emerging emotions and a dedication to love and family that I loved to watch develop and blossom. It is rare to find such a truly epic story in only fifty-three pages, but Eden ...more
Fangtasia
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everything good, and sweet, and beautiful about love is here. Everything. Told in an uncomplicated, sensible, intelligent way.

The ending? Talk about a true HEA. It's the second one I read in recent weeks. Which makes me very happy. But not happier than (view spoiler)
Caipi
I really enjoyed the first 75% of this sweet romance. Unfortunately I didn't like the sudden rush through the years and the further course of the story while the remaining 25% of the book.
The epilogue was a nice idea though.

3,5 stars
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries Anthology: Volume 12. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

OK, that epilogue bumped this from a 4 to 4.5 stars! Creative, sweet, different, and pretty much as complete a story arc as one could hope for! (view spoiler)

Eden's story In Dreams from last years event, Love Is Always Write: Volume Five, was
Pjm12
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the setting, the world building, the sentinel himself. I am not sure I get how Connell 'exists', but happy to see these boys together forever, however impossible it might be.

Loved the epilogue too.
Eli Easton
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a truly lovely story. Great world building. I loved the last few chapters and the epilogue especially. Thank you, Eden!
Charly
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Would have been much better if it had been longer and more developed

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 4/10

This is a creative story idea that practically begs to be a full-length novel or at the very least, a 100-page novella. At the length it is, time flies by at such a pace that everything seems incredibly rushed--the backstory, the men’s meeting, their entire relationship, the rest of their lives… There’s almost no conflict because of the story’s
Bookbee
OMG! So good! I can't get over the detail in the world building (eg: the body armour).

I had to read this one right away because... well, it's by Eden Winters! And right away the story grabbed me and didn't let go! A really great interpretation of the photo and prompt!
Lily
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sci-fi stories may not be my cup of tea, yet this one wormed itself into my heart. Poignant plot, great main characters, a romance to be remembered.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • Tallowwood
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Five Minutes Longer (Enhanced, #1)
  • The Finder
  • Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • Rago
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Human Omega: Trapped in the Alien Jungle (Pykh #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • Enemy Of My Enemy (Executive Office #2)
  • Sir
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
You will know Eden Winters by her distinctive white plumage and exuberant cry of “Hey, y’all!” in a Southern US drawl so thick it renders even the simplest of words unrecognizable. Watch out, she hugs!

Driven by insatiable curiosity, she possibly holds the world’s record for curriculum changes to the point that she’s never quite earned a degree but is a force to be reckoned with at Trivial Pursuit.