Start by marking “Why Didn't They Teach Me This in School?: 99 Personal Money Management Principles to Live by” as Want to Read:

Bestselling 5 Star Graduation Gift for both College and High School grads! Recommended by eBay, Forbes, Lifehack, Elite Daily, Real Simple and Bustle. Why do high schools and colleges require students to take courses in English, math and science, yet have absolutely no requirements for students to learn about personal money management? Why Didn't They Teach Me This in ...more
Published March 6th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

Start your review of Why Didn't They Teach Me This in School?: 99 Personal Money Management Principles to Live by
Rose
Quick review for a very quick read. Literally, there are 99 tips in this book with relation to personal finance and the author delves into each notation with precise and somewhat helpful advice. I'll admit what made me pick up this book was a combination of different things - the promise of a quick read, the expansion on personal financial management, and the quirky title. (True, there are many people that ask why people aren't taught money management through their schooling, regardless of ...more
Shanu
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
basic but straight to the point and very practical.
Has a lots of "tips" that are, i have to say it, common sense but it's good to hear them again once in a while - especially if you're trying to get out of debt.

That's not my case. But i'm no better : i'm a broke student. While most of my highschool friends are getting a job and going on vacations, while most of my classmates are financially fully looked after by their parents, i have to be really cautious with my expenses so that they fit in
Anantha Narayanan
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book on financial planning. Regret this information is not taught in schools as told by the author.

One principle which I will implement in my life is the 30% hra mentioned. It makes a lot sense. A good starting place for financial literacy.
Fikayo Adebolajo
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very important points about discipline, decision making and managing one’s finances.

A book that you probably need to own and refer to many times over because of the no B.S way Cary Siegel delivers the points and advice.
Dogdaysinaz
2.5 stars. This isn't a *terrible* book but there is better to be found. My BF bought this with a copy of Adulting, based on Amazon recommendations, as a gift for someone we know. I decided to read both before giving them. I definitely recommend Adulting, but not so much this book.

There is good information and it is an easy read. However, the author has strong biases that come through right from the beginning. The book literally starts out with tips about getting married and having kids. That is
Abhijeet Jain
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-finance
I was expecting some really amazing info in this book but there wasn't anything which I didn't know before. Maybe because this book was written while keeping American's spending habit in mind. For someone like me, who's an Indian, the tips mentioned in the book are what we are brought up with.
Abdellah Hichem Hamzaoui
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-books
amazing book talk about money and how to manage it and other hacks to bypass debt situation and a lot of advice to warn you about sequences of the credit card and and how to save hundreds of dollars by simple tips and his private strategy over all his years of experience in managing his own money all that in just one little book you can finish it in one or two sessions i really love the book it teach me a lot and tech what my parents didn't teach me i think everyone need this book :) thanks for ...more
Tony Perez
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of practical tips, tricks, and advice to help you live a financially responsible and stress-free life. A lot of it is basic common sense, but it helps to demystify the general principles of personal finance written out and described in a tangible way that is easy to implement. It's a quick, easy read that I would recommend to anyone looking for a simple guide.
Brittany
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the principles were noteworthy, and others I felt like weren’t stellar. For the most part, things I will definitely be conscious of in my future.
Tiago Irineu
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-finance
Cary Siegel first wrote the lessons that he shares in this book for his five teenager children, with the goal of teaching them how to live a sound financial life. I'm glad that he chose to expand his audience beyond his family circle because this book have precious lessons that I intend to apply to my life.

The book is well written and an easy read. As the subtitle makes clear, it is 99 lessons about personal finance. The lessons are usually short and direct, but touch a broad range of issues.
Renato
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book a couple of months ago and I found it again in one of my folders.

Let me start with the good parts of this book.

The structure is great, because you can just go to the table of contents and jump into one of the tips right away. Thus, reading this book is freaking easy.

As a result, it will take maximum 3-4 days to finish it.

Now, the fucking bad parts of this book.

It is awful!

I expected more from the title and the table of contents.

Instead I started reading a book with many "duhhh"
Neelam Babul
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me understand simple financial concepts that I struggled to understand for years. It is a great reference point for various age groups who wish to develop and intensify their understanding of personal finance.

It definitely helped me realize the errors I kept making over time which impacted my budget negatively or prevented my financial growth. The principles presented in the book are simple and easy to apply in our daily lives. What impressed me the most was the absence of
Jonathan Wells
Good basic principles

I enjoyed the book for it’s basic ideas. The author made it clear in many areas that this was just foundational and in some areas he wasn’t an expert and simply offering advice. As a book on advice it’s a great read, however we all know life gets a lot more detailed than basic principles and in some places i felt the author took a “blanket approach” to his advice, again, even though in some cases he did mention “one size does not fit all.” Great starting point, but
Mike Hansen
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Advice

I am a big Dave Ramsey fan. This book is the perfect supplement to his book. After you’ve made it through the first few big baby steps of Dave’s book you need some day to day, year to year guidance. This book provides that. It gives you the everyday principles to live by. I’m a firm believer that personal finance is a lifetime journey, not a destination. You will still need to learn and grow after the goal line (retirement). Worth a read and worth keeping around as a reference for
William Ng
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for beginners

This book is written for the young adults, those that are working their first job or those that haven't quite learned it when they should have. Most are no brainers, but even for a a self describes hardcore saver lake me, I found some good tips and new information within the book that I can add to my financial knowledge. Another great thing is that it is direct, there is no extra pages and to add the effort and time of the reader, to explain each principle. For the time
Megan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Might be good for beginners, although I feel that if you were raised right most of the information is a no-brainer. It is nothing special from the several other financial books for beginners that I have read such as "The Financial Diet" and "Broke Millennial". Most of the information is extremely basic; "don't spend more than you make", "pay off your credit card every month", "eat at home, use libraries", "start investing young". I am a little disappointed and feel like I didn't really gain any ...more
Nicole
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous

Absolutely wonderful tips. Many are out of the box thinking that you will not find in many personal finance type books, such as recommending certain magazine to read and putting an hour per week into reading about finance. Lots of wonderful tips, especially for a young person who would get the most benefit out of following these tips during their lifetime. His tip to his children, not included in the tips but on one of the last pages is priceless. Very quick read and well worth my time.
Megan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bought as a gift but skimmed it before wrapping it up to make sure the content was what I felt the recipient would be looking for. It's straightforward, some common sense advice, some not-so-common... overall a good intro to personal finance for any recent graduate, or even just anyone who has never given much thought to their personal finance strategy and goals. After this, read The Millionaire Next Door and hit up the Mr Money Moustache blog to go deeper, especially if you're particularly ...more
Nabil Brian Kazerouni
Practical lay of the land

Most people don’t even know what questions to ask when it comes to money management. This provides a baseline and approach to managing your money and thinking ahead. It’s not as actionable as books like “I will teach you to be reach” but it’s also less formulaic.

Recommended for the young adults looking tp get a baseline.
Dan Bolster
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book. It was not really something you had to read from beginning to end but you could choose which chapters appealed to you. I wouldn't consider a money bible but any means but it definitely was appealing in that it taught you stuff you just didn't learn in your childhood at home and in school.
Brett Leatherman
Solid advice

Cary gives a lot of really good tips for managing your money that I wish someone had given me before I went to college. It would have saved me a lot of money and stress! I would recommend this as a gift for any young adults in your life who are getting ready to strike out on their own.
Natasha | readwithnatasha
This is a good, basic financial book. Cary Siegel wrote it for his kids, but it's helpful for anyone who wants to get a better handle on their personal finances. Since I've read other finance books, I did find this to be a little more basic.
Aerial
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This book is very informative. I thought I knew all about finances, but this actually makes you think and puts everything in perspective!!! I would definitely recommend this to any age group....
Jade
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Good for beginners, some tips are for americans (which i am not) but over all a very simple book if your starting out. Only reason i gave it 2 stars is because i was expecting more on budgeting as a super basic (though to be fair, i only skimmed the book and finished it in about an hour).
Barbara Hauck
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise practical recommendations

This book offers practical suggestions for personal money management. It is a good option for those new to learning about money issues, and a good review for those who want to stay on track with their financial goals.
Deanna
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book incredibly helpful. When my dad passed, he took all the financial management insight with him. While he imparted some, this book filled the gaps and answered questions I have not been able to ask in many years.
Nicole
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Information I personally already know and do, but I read for the purpose of passing it on to my 18 year old niece that is just getting into the world on her own. This would be a quick read, good starting resource for a beginner or to help someone that hasn't quite gotten a handle on finances.
Lauren Comp
Okay Tips, But...

Philosophy wise, there is quite a bit in this book that feels out of touch to me personally. Some good nuggets, but much that couldn’t be used. Again, this is for me personally, I’m sure some of these tips land better with other individuals.
Josiah Wolf
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best introduction to personal finance/money management. If you're looking to expand your personal finance knowledge but are completely overwhelmed by the wealth of information available, I'd recommend starting here. Everyone should read this book.
Jen
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
A good book for a high school/college student with good information.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How to Manage Your Money When You Don't Have Any
  • The Minimalist Budget: A Practical Guide on How to Save Money, Spend Less and Live More with a Minimalist Lifestyle
  • The No-Spend Challenge Guide: How to Stop Spending Money Impulsively, Pay off Debt Fast, & Make Your Finances Fit Your Dreams
  • Money Honey: A Simple 7-Step Guide for Getting Your Financial $hit Together
  • The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need
  • The Happiness Track: How to Apply the Science of Happiness to Accelerate Your Success
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping by and Get Your Financial Life Together
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works
  • Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money, and the American Dream
  • Millionaire Success Habits: The Gateway To Wealth & Prosperity
  • Can I Retire?: How Much Money You Need to Retire and How to Manage Your Retirement Savings, Explained in 100 Pages or Less
  • Rich Habits: The Daily Success Habits of Wealthy Individuals: Find Out How the Rich Get So Rich (the Secrets to Financial Success Revealed)
  • Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School
  • Advice That Sticks : How to give financial advice that people will follow
“Home mortgage—If you pay one extra month’s mortgage (write, “Principal only” on the check and send a note to the lender), you will take seven years off a thirty-year mortgage.” 0 likes
“What is a FICO score? It is a credit score that lenders (and landlords) use to determine your future ability to pay bills. It is a mathematical equation that looks at multiple pieces of data from your credit report.” 0 likes