Start by marking “Beyond (Beyond #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond (Beyond #1)

Beyond

(Beyond #1)

It is the day after Aimee Patterson’s high school graduation. College beckons, as does her dream of becoming an engineer. On an early evening walk, her cocker spaniel charges into the woods on the other side of the pond. Aimee trails after him, and in the stillness of that forest the unthinkable happens. She becomes paralyzed and watches in horror as her hands vanish ...more
Published October 2012 by Smashwords (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond

Start your review of Beyond (Beyond #1)
Beth
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't like giving a poor review to this book. I liked the idea, but it was not well executed. The science was silly, and there were many grammatical and wrong word errors.
Chelsea
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

Oh, Beyond. Oh, how I wanted to like you. And I did. It's just...you have some issues, and those really get in the way of the reading experience. Logic is seriously lacking in parts of this book, and not in a way that can be covered by the typical "suspension of disbelief" we agree to when we read something like sci-fi or fantasy.

Here are the basic facts of the story, just to lay the foundation for the rest of the review. One day, just
Maureen
When I first read the book description of ‘Beyond’ I was really fascinated. This book sounded really different and fun, and since I hadn’t read a lot of Sci-Fi books lately this book seemed to come at the right moment. Since I needed a new audiobook, ‘Beyond’ just seemed to be meant to be listened to.

In ‘Beyond’ we meet Aimee. One day Aimee finds herself being kidnapped. She wakes up weeks later finding herself on a spaceship. The ship is in hands of people who have been forced to leave their
Amy R
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, young-adult
I don’t read a lot of Young Adult books but I have read all of Maureen A. Miller’s other books and just love her writing. This was no different. I love Maureen’s imagination in this book. Many times while I was reading it I found myself smiling and wondering how she came up with everything in the book. Of course, as true to Maureen’s writing she can describe a setting like no one else. I always had a clear idea of where the characters were and their surroundings. The story moved along easily and ...more
Jade
Challenge- Jumanji Challenge
I received a copy from the author exchange for a review

description

Great Sci-fi novel, excellent character development, world building and characters.
The Romance was acted on at the right time .I like how Aimee went to learn about the ship, ‘aliens’ and their lifestyle.
The ending felt a little hurried, but was okay. Overall I really enjoyed this book, looking forwards to the next book!
Julie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I picked up Beyond, I was looking for a fun alien space story. That's what I got, but I got so much more. Beyond is an intriguing space adventure tale, full of relatable (and brilliant) characters and fun world-building.

I loved that the aliens are not little green men or creepy squid creatures, but people. They're not human, but they're pretty much human - in appearance, emotion, and relationships - but they are so much more advanced in technology. Our alien race is running from a plague,
James Paddock
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Very enjoyable and captivating. Great story... great ending.

I'm not one to read an entire book in one sitting, and although I didn't do that with "Beyond," I was tempted. I knew from the book description that Aimee would be taken away by alien beings and returned 5 years later, and I had preconceived ideas as to how the story was going to roll; alien beings with multiple, odd-shaped body parts performing invasive experiments on a young, female earthling. I was pleasantly surprised that I was
Kristi Ayers
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and can't wait to get my hands on the 2nd one in the series! I have always enjoyed YA, but I've not read one that took place in space, until now. The author created a believable setting that I could picture easily, and characters that I really cared about. I was convinced that the love between Amiee and Zak was real because it didn't happen with the usual love at first sight seen in so many young adult novels; it happened after certain moving occurrences took place. Some of my ...more
Teri Heyer
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, both young & old.
Recommended to Teri by: Maureen A. Miller on Twitter
I don't usually read sci-fi or fantasy, but I absolutely loved 'Beyond.' Now I'm anxious to read the second book in the Beyond Series. I've read two other books by Maureen A. Miller, both of them romantic suspense, and loved them. So I had to give this series a try. Wow! I instantly fell in love with Aimee and Zak. Maureen A. Miller is definitely one of my new favorite authors.
Lynda Dietz
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I feel really bad for leaving a not-so-encouraging review for this, but I try to be as honest as possible when I review, whether a book is great or not. This one is not.

I wanted to like this. I won it in a GR giveaway a couple years ago, lost it in my pile of to-read books, and finally opened it a week or so ago. First impression was negative, right from the opening of the cover. The formatting is awful and instantly sets up an amateur feel. There is almost no front matter, which gives a
Valery
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I expected science fiction and what I got was suspenseful romance.

I had a hard time with this because the science was inconsistent. Okay, okay. It was silly and illogical.
I kept trying to figure out the difference between the time passing on the ship and Earth. It never really made sense. Only a few weeks passed for her, while years pass on Earth. And yet her hair grows and she matures? I just can't wrap my head around it. Why would she age years in a matter of weeks?
Logically, and after doing
AudioBookReviewer
My original BEYOND audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Beyond: Beyond the Series Book 1 is an enthralling tale of a young woman hours away from graduating with her life planned out before her. Aimee Patterson is an only child with parents that all kids long for until … She takes a fateful trip into the woods following her dog when suddenly she feels strange before blacking out.

When Aimee does wake up she finds her life is no longer planned out, she has no family
Beatrice Rivers
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent read!

I download this book after finding it on bookbub, but went on to read other books first. I finally gave up and started to read it... Several hours later and here I am!

My favourite characters...
Zak - the dark mysterious man of the book
Aimee - the abducted main character
Ziggy - Aimee's dog
The sumpums

I Recommended this book, happy that I finally read it!
Bethlehem Potter
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
So, I rarely do reviews, I just don't have time for it. But this book... my goodness. I'm only giving it 3 stars, because I absolutely LOVE the premise. Emphasis on premise. The book itself was alright, I found the characters likeable, and the setting was cool. However, when I read a scifi novel, I'm entirely willing, and prepared to have a suspension of disbelief. Teleporting beams that completely deconstruct you, and then reconstruct you? Sure. Seemingly magical floating AI's that can analyze ...more
Paranormal_Madness
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Warning, there will be spoilers.

What I liked:
-Aimee. The heroine was mildly interesting to read about. I liked that she was actually intelligent. The author didn’t just tell us she was intelligent and then have her make a bunch of stupid decisions an actual intelligent person would never make. We got to see the engineer in her take over and figure things out through observation and experimenting. It was actually kind of fascinating.
-Zak. I liked the love interest, even if his personality was a
Debra Martin
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be a beta reader for Ms. Miller's newest book, "Beyond," book 1 in a YA science fiction series. I read quite a few of the author's books and really enjoy them and Ms. Miller's style of writing. This is the first time she's ventured into science fiction for young adults and she's hit a home run with this one. The story follows teenager Aimee Patterson shortly after she graduates from high school. She's used to walking her dog, but when the dog runs off into the woods, ...more
Gina Stamm
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Issues with the 'time' thing, the 'cure' being blatantly obvious, and a few other 'throw that in the book too' complaints,
but I did enjoy the story and will be reading the other two as well.
Jessica
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG, this series is so freakin' good!!!! I don't know how I'll wait for book 3 to come out :(
J.L. Dobias
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf-003
Beyond (Beyond Series) By Maureen A. Miller

Beyond is an entertaining book and for the most part I thought it was mostly light reading and quite suitable for the young adult market. There were elements that seemed quite familiar throughout the book and if I went into great depth to find them all I'd probably be able to start pointing out tropes that I've seen in recent reading.

The most striking and probably unusual of all connections though was the connection I felt to Jacqueline Susann's Yargo.
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The first book in the Beyond series was a fun book to read, even though I had issues with it. Every so often I enjoy a YA book as they are so often fresh and different.

The premise was interesting: a teen gets abducted by a spaceship of humans in search of an antidote, and she falls in love during her journey. The problem is that this felt more like a middle-grade book because of the very simplistic plotline and the way it was executed. I was totally confused by the progression of time that was
John N. Jones
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Sci-fi Book With Human Emotions

I didn’t know what to expect as I began reading. I stumbled through the first couple of chapters and then became totally mesmerized by the writing skills that were evident.
I was also sure that I had figured out the antidote needed, but was again surprised by the skillful writing.
The ending was both satisfying and also produced a desire to read the next book in the series.
Joseph
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good page-turner.

I enjoyed the story no end and involved a woman kidnapped by mistake and forced to be away from her location for an extended period of time it involved her desire to come home falling in love and not wanting to to leave forced to leave a very good book and it took me about two-and-a-half 3 days to read it all and I could not put it down.
Amanda Hicks
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
Sure, there are a lot of continuity flaws, but the story itself is a rather fun read.

Just tell me though... did she bring her glasses or not? Most of the time she seems to have no problem seeing things, but other times she complains that things are blurry because she does not have her glasses. Does she need glasses at all?

I'm glad for the epilogue. If you wanted to only read this book it does wrap it up in a nice package for you to stop here, but I think I might pick up #2. The characters are
Jeanne Pocius Dorismond
Well Done!

Maureen Miller does a masterful job of creating a space-faring society (with ever-so-slight traces of tribute to Battlestar Galactica), with a brave and bright heroine, an evil mad-scientist villain, a wise older ruler, and a very promising leading man. The story is lovely and well-paced. I lookforward to reading more of the adventures of Aimee and Zak. A+ Bravo!
Elaine Hopkins
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What lives outside our universe

I enjoyed the tale of what could possibly happen if there are beings in other universes and they visit our planet. Would they be friendly? Would they take specimans?
Would we be smarter than us?
Charlotte Chavous
Imaginative and engrossing

A sweet, easy goung sci-fi read full of imagination, new friends, nad new adventures. It will keep you engaged with your heart and your intellect
Red
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

It's always wonderful to read a well written book. The characters had strong personalities. I can't wait to read more from Maureen Miller.
Beverly
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Have enjoyed this book, it keeps you wanting more.
Everyone of all ages would enjoy it. I've got to get next book.
Brian Proffit
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable but more romance than I care for

It is a good story well told, I just felt it focused more on teenage girl romance then I expected or would have wanted.
Keith Bornmann
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorites now

I've read this book twice and will read it again. The characters are lovable, the content is clean, the ideas are original.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Crazy for Young A...: Win 1 of 3 BEYOND audiobooks! 1 5 Oct 10, 2016 04:08PM
The real model for BEYOND! 1 3 Aug 02, 2016 06:48AM
We PROMOTE Fantas...: Start the BEYOND Series for FREE 1 5 Mar 24, 2016 04:16AM
YA & NA Romance ♥: BEYOND - Young Adult-Science Fiction-Romance 1 8 Dec 23, 2013 11:29AM
Crazy for Young A...: BEYOND is now FREE for Christmas week! 1 11 Dec 12, 2013 08:02AM

• The Tetradome Run
  • Transmission (The Invasion Chronicles, #1)
  • Starstruck (Starstruck, #1)
  • The Wolf Within Me (The Haunted High Series, #1)
  • Daybreak
  • Startoucher
  • Venomous (Alien Warrior, #1)
  • The Last Teacher (Mackenzie August #0.5)
  • Teen Fury: Unleashed
  • Jammed (Charlie Cooper #1)
  • The Dead Room (The Dead Room Trilogy #1)
  • Disruptive Shock: An EMP Survival story (Disruptive Shock #1)
  • The Memory Thief (City of Wishes #1)
  • Hellion (Relentless Tome 7) (Relentless French)
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Strays (Werewolf Academy, #1)
  • The Amplified (The Amplified #1)
  • Deathworld 1 (Deathworld, #1)
USA TODAY bestselling author, Maureen A. Miller's first novel, WIDOW'S TALE earned her a Golden Heart nomination in Romantic Suspense. Working in the software industry for fifteen years in a job that required extensive travel, Maureen chose to write during those lengthy airport layovers. Escapism at its best. Five novels were produced in those years of travel.

Recently, Maureen branched out into

Beyond (4 books)
  • Two Suns (Beyond #2)
  • Three Paths (Beyond #3)
  • Four Worlds (Beyond, #4)
“JOH! Thank God I found you.”

“I have 9022 gods listed in my database. Must I thank all of them?”
2 likes
“You've never been to another planet, have you Aimee?"

"No, but I've been to Disney World.”
1 likes