Start by marking “The Apple Revolution: Steve Jobs, the Counterculture and How the Crazy Ones Took over the World” as Want to Read:

This is the story of how the sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll generation changed the world for ever. Meet the Crazy Ones who created Silicon Valley – the hippies who started the Homebrew Computer Club; the young ad executive who first sketched out Apple’s iconic logo; the engineers who met lying down in a cardboard geodesic dome at Stanford University. From Steve Wozniak, who ...more
Published August 2nd 2012 by Virgin Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Apple Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apple Revolution

Start your review of The Apple Revolution: Steve Jobs, the Counterculture and How the Crazy Ones Took over the World
Herve
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read (yet) Isaacson’ authorized biography of Steve Jobs but found (by pure accident) another recent, funny an really great book, The Apple Revolution. Interesting too and somewhat related to a previous blog I published on Robert Noyce and the culture of Silicon Valley. As important is the subtitle: Steve Jobs, the Counterculture and How the Crazy Ones Took Over the World. Dormehl, the author, is convincing when he explains that Silicon Valley is the result of the counter-culture as ...more
VaultOfBooks
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Luke Dormehl. Grade: A+

In the beginning (of the Information Age) was the void. And the void was digital. But lo, there came upon the land, the shadow of Steven Jobs (and Stephen Wozniak). And Steven (Stephen) said, ‘Let there be Apple.’ And there was Apple. And Steven (Stephen) beheld Apple. And it was good. And Apple begat Macintosh. And it was good. And soon upon the land there began to appear, The Cult of Macintosh. For they had tasted of Apple. And it was good.
Russell W. Belk and Gulnur
Alexander
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book was just terrific. Well-researched and thought-provoking. The thing author goes super-deep on is whether or not Apple has been "true with it's roots", the 60s counter culture. The answer is, as usual, yes and no. YES as the company has been successful because of "thinking different(ly)". NO because some of what's said about alikes of GULAGs on production plants of China is certainly true. There's also that Apple can't really be countering anything - IT IS CULTURE.
Interesting for me was
Ben
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lot of the info is the same as in the Steve Jobs bio but its the additional info that makes this book worth the read.
Janine
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Apple Revolution by Luke Dormehl is an insightful look at how sociopolitical factors shaped our relationship with technology throughout the last century, focusing mainly on Apple and those tied closely with the company. Dormehl starts with talking about the early history of computers and how they were seen as a bad thing back in the first half of the 20th century due to their centralized structure and tied closely to war. He then moves onto how the 1960’s liberal counterculture society of ...more
Paul
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2013
As with all books about Apple, the focus can tend to be on Steve Jobs, CEO and founder of the company, and this book has lots about Jobs. But Dormehl has managed to also take in details about Apple computers, Microsoft, Xerox and the wider social and technological changes that took place in the late sixties and early seventies that gave us the products that enable me to write this and for you to read it.

There is a lot of detail in the book and it is written in an engaging and interesting way;
Steve
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but much of what was really interesting in it, I already knew. But then I do know the entire history quite a bit, just as one who has paid attention. This book is most enjoyable about the early days of Apple, when it was small groups of people creating Apple products. I'd like to know more about various design and software decisions in making the iPod and iPhone. Lots of other potentially fascinating stuff is left out; the Newton only gets a few pages, HyperCard none, and OS ...more
Jonathan
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun read compared to the altogether more serious (and in-depth) read of the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs. My first book on the subject, this took me on a journey through the history of Apple, dipping into the lives of key people along the journey and keeping a close eye on important relationships that developed.

Reading the biography now, and glad that this book caught my attention first.
Pryord
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. Amazingly well written. In my view, it is much better than Isaacson's Jobs biography because it provides context to the computer industry, Apple's story and how much of an achievement it was for Jobs to build Apple in what it became. But more importantly, Dormehl gives full credit to the numerous people who helped Apple become the success it became. Jobs was not alone, far from it!
Richard
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: project-2014

I left this book with an experience of knowing everything about Apple's history…all the nooks and crannies. Well-written and entertaining, the book also presents to the reader the scents and tastes of Silicon Valley…what it's like to dance and play there. Read this book if you've ever held and appreciated an iWhatever…

David Fleming
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent book about steve jobs and others in silicon valley. Read this after reading steve jobs, the man who thought different. The latter is a brilliant book which covers the many facets of jobs: good and bad!
Nikhil Baid
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I wanted to give it 3.5. Some parts of it were too vague and boring. Goes off the track sometimes. However i loved the notes at the bottom. Very good insights. Also like the fact that the book is farely updated with references to walter isaacson's biography.
David Highton
A bit of a corporate biography with avenues about Pixar and NeXT on the side. The countercultural profile does not hold water after 1985 for me, and there is a lot of really pretentious stuff in here. The writing style can also get irritating
Chai Eng
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. The narrative is very compelling...
Trisha
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME! love the writing style of the author, keeps one glued to the book all day!
Maithili Mukherjee
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was awesome. Well researched and an impossibly awesome piece of work.
Sophy Kohler
Thorough, well written and entertaining.
Alex
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's certainly an eye opener about Apple & Steve Jobs!
Masroor
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Amazing book about Apple and not specifically Steve Jobs
Kwang Wei Long
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
History of Apple and Steve.

• Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made
  • Shoot for the Moon: The Space Race and the Extraordinary Voyage of Apollo 11
  • Fatal Thunder (Jerry Mitchell, #5)
  • Shattered Trident (Jerry Mitchell, #4)
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry
  • Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart into a Visionary Leader
  • Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
  • Arctic Gambit (Jerry Mitchell #6)
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • Red Storm Rising
  • America's Secret Submarine: An Insider's Account of the Cold War's Undercover Nuclear Sub
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race
  • Red Phoenix (Red Phoenix #1)
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Urban Naxals
Luke Dormehl is a journalist and author, with a background working in documentary film. His writing has appeared in Wired, Digital Trends, The Guardian, Fast Company, Empire, Cult of Mac, Politico, The Huffington Post, and Techmeme.

He is the author of Thinking Machines, The Formula: How Algorithms Solve All Our Problems (And Create More), The Apple Revolution: Steve Jobs, The Counterculture, and