Start by marking “Voices of the Dust Bowl” as Want to Read:
Voices of the Dust Bowl

Voices of the Dust Bowl

From 1931 to 1940, a prolonged drought on the Great Plains brought disaster to countless Americans, particularly in the states of Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, and New Mexico. This illustrated history for young readers offers a sweeping view of the the catastrophe and its consequences, told through moving first-person accounts of typical participants. ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Pelican

To ask other readers questions about Voices of the Dust Bowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices of the Dust Bowl

Start your review of Voices of the Dust Bowl
Katie Lebkuecher
Opening: In the Great Plains portion of the United States, the Great Depression was made worse by an extreme drought. Does anybody know what a drought is? (wait for responses) Thats right, a drought is a period of time with little to no rain. In the 1930s, the drought lasted nine years. The lack of rain and the development of the land by new settlers caused the soil to loosen. Winds in the area could get really high which would cause the loose soil to blow around creating dust storms. This time ...more
Courtney Raymer
Personal Response: I really enjoyed reading this book. It taught me about the dust bowl without me having to read a long boring history book or chapter book. Also I liked how the book was written in poems and not just sentences on each page. The poems were stories of different people so they also got different perspectives of people dealing with the dust bowl. The images were very realistic as well.

Purpose:
-read aloud: I would use this book for curricular reasons during a social studies unit
Molly
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Informational/Fictional text:
This outstanding book tells the story of people from 1893 through 1940 and the progression of time. It takes a person that symbolizes what many others like them would be thinking at that time. It states the year and location of each short poem/description from the perspective of different types of people. From a Native American warrior who hunted buffalo on the plains to a farmer that first came to turn the desert land into farms to the banker scared for his job
Sharon Dillon
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this for week 10
The Voices of the Dust Bowl helps the reader visualize and imagine the horror of the dust bowl that occurred in the 1930's. Severe drought covered the plains region and dust storms affected everyone. Sherry Garland brought to life characters that lived during that time and gave their perspective. It's a very sad tragic time in our history and this book teaches younger children in a way that's not too heavy for them. The illustrations are incredible, that held my attention
Kristin Nelson
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This excellent, excellent book gives the viewpoint of sixteen different types of people in the 1930s, all connected in some way to the tragedies of the Dust Bowl. These first person poems let us in to the emotions and struggles people experienced. The illustrations add to the emotions and the realism; this book was clearly well-researched by both the author and the illustrator. The historical note at the end is written in language easily understood by 8 to 10 year olds and it imparts a great ...more
Sam
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
The dust bowl is a difficult subject for young learners because it was a dark time in American history. I like this book and they way it presented information. Characters from history describe their hardship in the form of poems to illustrate what happened during the dust bowl. They year and location of each person is included. Teachers might want to supplement the book with photos from the dust bowl period to show children what it really looked like.
Kate Conley
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful timeline of stories told in prose spanning the entire scope and span the Dust Bowl : from the displacement of the Native Americans in the late 1800's to the legislation that gave work to the needy and farmers hope after the Great Depression. This would be a great companion text for MG students studying this period in history.
Autumn
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is great for the people who wan't to leran more about the Dust Bowl and for the people who have to do a report on it. It has diffren't people talking from their point of view about what happened during the Dust Bowl. It shows what year events happened in that disasterous time and what they did to try to prevent breathing in the dust.
Becky Kondritz
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Each pair of pages was a poem about the Dust Bowl told from a different person's perpective. This author also wrote books called Voices of the Alamo and Voices of Gettysburg. Will have to check them out next year.
Jenna Bowen
Jan 30, 2016 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is about different views of people that experienced the dust bowl. I would incorporate this book in a history lesson about the dust bowl. This book also has a glossary in the back to help student.
CFAITC
Jan 01, 2013 added it
Shelves: primary
This collection of representative narratives describes what life was like during the dust bowl.
Tara
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reading this with my daughter for homeschool studies. Currently studying the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. Each page is a different person's story about that era. Sad times...
Ilib4kids
J973.917 GAR
Mr. Canning
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. It has 16 short stories of lives of people during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowls. I learned things about the Dust Bowl I never new before (such as how the static electricity during a storm could even short out motors and cars). Color illustrations bring the people of this time period to life. Highly recommend.

• The Thrifty Guide to Ancient Greece: A Handbook for Time Travelers
  • Sybil's Night Ride
  • Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2)
  • Jennifer's Way: My Journey with Celiac Disease--What Doctors Don't Tell You and How You Can Learn to Live Again
  • The Thrifty Guide to Ancient Rome: A Handbook for Time Travelers
  • The Thrifty Guide to the American Revolution: A Handbook for Time Travelers
  • It's Not Hansel and Gretel
  • Mother Jones and Her Army of Mill Children
  • The Thrifty Guide to Medieval Times: A Handbook for Time Travelers
  • Lord of the Wings (Meg Langslow, #19)
  • Sybil Ludington: Revolutionary War Rider
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Never Have I Ever
  • Miracles in American History: 32 Amazing Stories of Answered Prayer
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow, #20)
  • Holiday Hacks: Easy Solutions to Simplify the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
  • Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1)
  • Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6; Will Trent, #8.5)
Sherry Garland is the award-winning author of 30 books for children, teens and adults.