Start by marking “World Food Alphabet” as Want to Read:
World Food Alphabet

World Food Alphabet

From Apricot to Zucchini, and everything in between, here is a beautiful photographic alphabet of world food.Acclaimed photographer and founder of the World Food Cafe in London, Chris Caldicott takes us on a mouth-watering tour of the different crops, dishes and ways of eating from every continent.Find out what Moroccans eat for a healthy snack and how ice is sold in Bangl ...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about World Food Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Food Alphabet

Book Format: hardcover
Reading Level: Grades K-3
Genre: fiction
Lit Requirement: alphabet book

Summary:
This book uses foods or food spaces/places from all over the world that start with each letter of the alphabet.

Review:
I think that this book is great to give a culture perspective on food. I think this book wil be good for young children and older children because of the word choices. The pictures are very lively which make them fun! I liked this book.
Courtney Torrent
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This informational text was very interesting to read. Each letter of the alphabet is assigned to a food that starts with that same letter. Each page has one or two letters along with photographs and information about the food, how and where it is used, etc. The photographs from around the world with people and food from around the world are incredible! I would love for my students to see these photographs and to see the cultures and ways of life shown in them. I imagine using the jigsaw activity ...more
Heather
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Beautiful photographs, lots of text for a 3 year old but very informative, global, and diverse. One example: K is for kitchen includes photos and descriptions of kitchens from those with running water and electricity to those with solely an open fire. S is for spices, with a photo of a Moroccan spice market.

My only bone to pick is that, as a vegetarian, I am surprised that legumes (in one form or another) don't make it on the list. I may have missed it 'within' one of the letters but there was n
Children's  Librarian
A photographic picture book with, usually, one photo per page, often covering half the page or more. Colorful, high-quality images from around the world show people displaying, selling, enjoying, growing and measuring foods. Lots of kids are included in the pictures.
Text is too wordy to make the book a good read-aloud, but could be used if the reader summarizes content, or uses only parts of the book. Better for one-on-one. No storyline.
Informational content: Each page's text offers information
Roberta Gibson
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
In World Food Alphabet, Chris Caldicott uses his camera lens to give us a window to the people and food of world. It is a wonderful trip!

You might be inspired to include some enrichment activities, such as locating the places the author documents on a world map as you read along, serve some snacks made from some of the featured foods, or have your children or students create their own world food alphabet handmade book.

For more details, see Wrapped in Foil blog.
Allison Loncar
Dec 08, 2013 added it
Shelves: 544
Genre: Alphabet Copyright: 2012
This was a unique book that goes through the alphabet in a world food way. Students will learn about different foods grown and eaten around all the continents. Not all the letters though are about food. Some are about the way people from other countries get their food. This would be a good book to show kids that not every child around the world eats the same things we do.
Jessica
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a great introduction to cultures around the world especially through food. I was caught up more in the pictures than the informational text. The most creative part was finding 'food' words for q, u, and x.

Erin
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
the depth of information was a little sporadic, but the photos were vibrant and intriguing. a good introduction to what and how people eat around the world, and had a lot of info about how people harvest/gather different types of food.
Laura Haske
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Food and travel. A great way to open up the mind of a child to the great big world. We enjoyed reading this. The descriptions are lengthy, so you'll want to make sure your child has the attention-span to make it through the book. Or just do a few letters at a time. ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
The photographs are beautiful.
Bethany
Beautiful photographs and informative for kids. Could be used in a variety of cultural studies.
Jackson Delfosse
Chris Caldicott
Published: 2012
Reading Level: grades K-3
Genre: Children's Non- Fiction Literature
Lit. Requirement: Alphabet Book
Page Number: 32
Summary: World Food Alphabet is a book celebrating food from all over the world. This is an photographic alphabet book containing food from all different countries and cultures. I rate this book a 4/5 because kids can learn some Geography and cultural information while going over their alphabet and getting to look at pictures along the way.