Start by marking “R. D. Burman: The Man, The Music” as Want to Read:
R. D. Burman: The Man, The Music

R. D. Burman: The Man, The Music

To a nation fed on classical music, the advent of Rahul Dev Burman with his repertoire of Western beats was a godsend. RD revolutionized Hindi film music in the 1970s, and with his emphasis on rhythm and beats, this Pied Piper of Hindi film music had young India swinging to his tunes. At the same time, this genius proved his many detractors who criticized him for ...more
Paperback, First, 380 pages
Published 2012 by Harper Collins India

To ask other readers questions about R. D. Burman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about R. D. Burman

Start your review of R. D. Burman: The Man, The Music
Arvind
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports-arts
3.5/5 While is the book is a superb bio of RD Burman's music, it sometimes felt as though I was reading a series of music reviews. Infact i grew bored in d last 50 pages or so.
But, if u understand language of music - minor/major chords, shuddha/tivra sur, various Ragas d book will be a great delight.
Madhulika Liddle
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Anirudha Bhattacharjee and Balaji Vittal’s R.D. Burman: The Man, The Music won the National Award for Best Book on Cinema for 2011, and is—as its title suggests—a biography of Rahul Dev Burman, RDB, Pancham, call him what you will: one of Hindi cinema music’s undisputed leading lights.

After a foreword and an introduction (by Javed Akhtar and Shammi Kapoor, respectively) Bhattacharjee and Vittal begin their biography of RDB with their own introduction, followed by the authors’ note; an impressive
Jerina
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is almost a labour of love on the evergreen musician R D Burman. This is a music lover's must-have, a R D Burman fan's must-possess, a Hindi movie buff's must-read book. Though it has a lack luster title for a book about a man whose music has been relevant till date, it makes up for it in the well-written and researched content.

The book is divided into 3 parts and it charts his musical journey from when he assisted his father (the great S D Burman) to his meteoric rise in the late 70s
Bhushan Bobade
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of an amazing musician

The book is well written and takes us through the journey of a musical genius who had his flaws, yet one who dared to tread the unbeaten path and in that process brought world music to Indian ears and vice versa
Ravinder
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kynd
Thoroughly enjoyed this biography of Pancham.

Anyone who has grown up listening to Hindi film music, and in particular to R D Burman, will find many fascinating stories of the various songs & movies that they have enjoyed.

The best part for me is how much the artists or musicians behind Pancham have been celebrated. Respect!

dunkdaft
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once in a while you come across the books that change your perception. This, is one for me. I did never regard Pancham in this respect. Of Course I did loved his compositions, but only the ones I had heard, and what I heard? Only those handful ones. The famous and that's it. But the authors of this book, made me change my view upside down. Mind boggling factoids and research they have put into this, left me speechless, and even want to re-read some paragraphs to actually get the point. I know I ...more
Prathamesh Deshpande
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful researched book... Going through it just astonishes you about the body of work R.D.Burman had... He is immortal even today.. The in depth analysis by the authors males this book worth a read...
Rama Sadasivan
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very well researched book on Pancham and his music. Touches upon the inspiration and music theory for a lot of his songs.
Ayan Dutta
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Authors are well versed with Indian & Western music...& of course with the music of RD.

Strictly for RD fans !
Anu Warrier
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd been thinking of reviewing this book for some time now, but never got around to re-reading it. Now, my appetite whetted by reading Gaata Rahe Mera Dil, and reader Neeraj's comment, I decided to take the plunge. After all, I am only four years late with the review.

It is clear, if you put a search for RD, that he is still relevant - I don't know any other music director who has so polarised a nation - people either love him, or hate him, both with equal intensity. It is also quite clear that
Wishwas
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute gem of a book. Sometimes you might get bored due to the extreme details but so much research and so many facts about the legendary RD. He was a Great musician! A must read for all his fans and all amateur and aspiring musicians!
Saritha
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This book gets a 4-star not for the eloquence of the writing, but for decision of the writers to stick fiercely to the subject of RDB's music.

A laudable effort is the interviews with RDB's musicians. If this was a typical Mumbai-based film writer, the interviews would have simply been by the famous names, about RDB with a foreword by Asha Bhonsle. But thankfully, it isn't one of those books.

Full marks for not gushing, or meandering into the gossip of those times or indulging the reader with
Amey Nadkarni
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I could not finish this book... coz although it made for interesting trivia and also very informed reading; it did get a tad bit too much to absorb. Since its been one of the books on my desk that i go to every once in a while. It cannot be a book to finish in one go... and definitely not for someone who is not a connoisseur of the great RD.
Vivek Sharma
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it
The book deals mainly with "R D Burman-The Music". R D Burman as a person has been covered very little. Also, lot of technical terms of music are used which make it uninteresting at times.
Satyajeet
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
An amazing insight into the mind of t(e Greatest Music Dierctor of all time. The book literally takes the readers to a ride along with the Maestro himself. Thanx for writing such book.

• Gargoyle Hall (Araminta Spookie, #6)
  • Vampire Brat (Araminta Spookie, #4)
  • Sphinx
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Reckless (Mirrorworld, #1)
  • Watch Your Back! (Dortmunder, #13)
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation
  • Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time
  • হলদে বাড়ির রহস্য ও দিনে ডাকাতি
  • The Finish: The Killing of Osama Bin Laden
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn, #3)
  • Michael Jackson: The Magic, The Madness, The Whole Story, 1958-2009
  • Figures for Fun
  • The Seven Minutes
  • The Plot
  • The Bilbao Looking Glass (Kelling & Bittersohn, #4)
  • The Wish List
National Award & MAMI award winning author

Anirudha is a SAP consultant by profession and a musician by passion. A huge fan of Kishore Kumar, he loves revisiting football matches, films of Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, Satyajit Ray, Bimal Roy, Tarun Majumdar, Basu Chatterjee, Gulzar, et al, and a horde of comedies - from the awkwardly funny Crazy Boys series to childhood favourites featuring