Start by marking “Cross Dressed to Kill” as Want to Read:
Cross Dressed to Kill

Cross Dressed to Kill

A TORRID TALE of love, loss, blackmail, revenge, and serial MURDER... Gripping - Funny - Thrilling - Compelling.. SET SNUGLY in middle England, in a small town just like yours, where nothing nasty should ever happen, 'Cross-dressed to kill' is a darkly comedic thriller, telling a torrid tale of love, loss, revenge, and murder. Lying somewhere between Niall Johnsons and Ric ...more
Published by YeS Press (first published June 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cross Dressed to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Dressed to Kill

Start your review of Cross Dressed to Kill
Alex
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
It started off quite well, light and funny, but towards the middle of the book things started bogging down. The author gets mired in a sea of meticulous descriptions that add nothing to the story but rather subtract from the rhythm. There is a scene where it takes the protagonist five pages to walk a couple of blocks. It's tedious and unnecessary.

There are also a number of coincidences that ultimately lead nowhere. A number of encounters that you spend the rest of the book waiting for them to re
Tracy
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, book-club, 2012
Had this book been about 150 pages shorter and far more carefully edited, it would have been much more enjoyable. I simply can't stand constant typos, misspellings, and poor capitalization, and the "plot" meandered for quite a bit longer than necessary. Had a few funny moments, though.
Lisa
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly good read for 99p!
Tamara Niemi
Ridiculous sick, a great detour from real life. Unless your village has a cross dressing hairdresser who is a serial killer, then maybe skip this one.
Claire MacDonald
Hilarious!
Jo
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Local author

I think I've had my hair cut at this author's salon! Thank goodness I didn't see his reflection winking!! Very clever story - you can't judge a book by its (very glamourous, quiet, Mark looking) cover!
Marie Staight
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends and hairdressers!
I just reread this book for our book club. It is one that I just couldn't forget as it was so fresh and different from any other crime/murder/ thriller I have ever read. The story is told in the first person by the main character who is a male hairdresser that has dual personalities - one who kills people and the other that doesn't. What is so fresh about the writing is the author makes the guy who is killing people, the one who is more likeable. Lucas makes the reader root for the hairdresser t ...more
Stephen Clynes
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This novel was released as a 575 KB Amazon Kindle eBook and was written in 2011. This is not your usual crime thriller but a humorous anthropological study of Britain today. This story is written in the first person, from the point of view of a male hairdresser working alone in a fictitious small British town. He is a lovely, likeable character with a sharp wit about anybody and everything. This book covers a lot of ground and confronts lifestyles and people's prejudices. Andrew Lucas has a good ...more
Julie Haigh
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Julie by: Amazon recommendations email
I was reading another book at the time when I saw this book on an Amazon recommendations email. I hadn't heard of the author before but I like crime books so as it was only 77p I thought I would give it a go. As a different genre to my other book the idea was I'd read both of these as one a traditional book and this one on my kindle. I had a bit of a dip into this book and just couldn't put it down. It's got murder in it and at times is quite funny. I know it shouldn't be but it was just some of ...more
Kate Tenbeth
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I bought this book by mistake on my Kindle (pressed the wrong button...) but having bought it, I then settled down to read it no knowing quite what to expect! It took some time to get into the story but once I did I have to say that I enjoyed it. At points the storyline was very black but the author somehow still managed to retain humour. The main character was very realistic - very definitely a hairdresser under stress and I'm sure I've come across a few of his obnoxious customers! The only thi ...more
Lisa
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was something I downloaded off of my Kindle for only £1.99, the best £1.99 I have ever spent.

This book had me gripped from beginning to end, it was fab. The characters are so vivid that you can imagine most of them living in your town or on your street. The descriptive language that Andrew Lucas uses actually made me feel like I personally knew the characters. The situations I can actually feel like I'm in them.

This book is not the kind of book that I usually read but the reviews made
Lynn
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting novel about a serial killer... Strangely, the author manages to keep your sympathy with the killer, in spite of what he does, right until the end. I enjoyed it tho did find a few typos in it (not sure if that's to do with Kindle or if they're in the book proper). Definitely worth a read... :-D
Lee Petersen
Sep 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Couldn't actually finish it. I realised I'd been avoiding my kindle for about two months because I was struggling to get through this book, so at 26% of the way through I decided to call it quits and give up. It started off well and I thought it would be something I would enjoy but I just couldn't relate to the character or his elderly clients. Shame really, I hate not being ale to fish a book!
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars for this book simply because it really surprised me. It is a murderous romp about a hairdresser who starts killing off his annoying customers and is really funny. Definitely not to be taken too seriously, but some very good turns of phrase and characterization. 4 stars for entertaining me thoroughly.
Tim Pickles
Nov 29, 2012 rated it did not like it

Poor. I'm not sure why I bothered to keep going with this book. It vaguely entertained, but the story is weak, the characters only semi-believable, .... and there are a vast number of irritating typos scattered throughout the text. Was this book self-published? It certainly hadn't been properly edited.
zenbren
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Macabre topic ofcourse-but the unusual and humourous treatment is so refreshing. It's an incredibly insightful profile of tortured, lonely souls and the weird worlds seemingly normalpeople can inhabit.Loved it.
Ceri
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Isle of Wight author .... but it's not set on the island. Good if slightly strange read. Not a typical thriller ... you know 'who-dunnit' ... it's a will-he-do-it-more-&-get-caught plot. A bit like a Tom Sharpe style farce. ...more
Lynne
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Found it quite disappointing. Mildly entertaining only beginning about half way through. I've never not finished a book I've started, but I had to force myself multiple times to keep going. Picked up in the second half, but I never did find it to be as funny as was suggested.
Chris
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
This book was one I thought what have I let myself in for but I soon got gripped by it and enjoyed it - the descriptions throughout the book were fabulous and I could understand the lead character. I had to get to the end to find out what happened - u couldn't guess the ending :)
Charlene Barber
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was funny and kept me guessing throughout. I learned to like the crazy main character and warmed to his vast array of friends and family.
The ending felt a little rushed bit was great. Definitely had laugh out loud moments and gripping killings! Highly recommended by me.
Christine Vinciguerra
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
It's really hard for me to like a book when I don't like / affiliate with any of the characters. I just didn't care about the main character(s), or any of the people he "offed."

Add to that the numerous typos and grammar mistakes, and this became a difficult read for me.
Grahambootle
As the number of stars indicates, it was OK. The characters were flat and two dimensional, the plot was plodding and predictable. May read more by this author but not in a hurry.
Aunty Janet
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Amusing but not amazing! Cross dressing, apparently schizophrenic, hairdresser who murders nasty ladies. He's no Dexter, but it's a fun read.
Paula Robson
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Was a bit dissapointed with this book, took me a while to finish reading it just couldn't seem to get into the storey. The book seemed to pick up a bit in the second part.
Kathleen Harold
Feb 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
This one is on Amazon Prime's lending library.
Karen
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Campy crazy departure from my usual fare.
Sue Malley
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it

Its okay quite a strange read really, two parts to it, very confusing story line.
Karen Goldup
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good for 79p. accidental serial killer/hairdresser.
Carrie
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A highly entertaining read.

• The Woman Who Stole My Life
  • The Mystery of Mercy Close (Walsh Family, #5)
  • Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1)
  • The Expats (Kate Moore, #1)
  • The Half-life of Hannah
  • On the Island (On the Island, #1)
  • Elvis and the Memphis Mafia
  • More Ketchup Than Salsa
  • This Thirtysomething Life
  • Blood River: A Journey to Africa's Broken Heart
  • Stand and Deliver: The Autobiography
  • Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
  • Poor Folk
  • You've Gone Too Far This Time
  • The Truth About Cruise Ships – A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life
  • The Love of My Life