Start by marking “Quality Is Free” as Want to Read:
Quality Is Free

Quality Is Free

Do things right in the first place, and you won't have to pay to fix them or do them over. Whether you manage a large plant or run your own small business, applying this simple principle of quality control will boost your profits and your career. "Quality Is Free" sets forth easy-to-implement programs, using actual case histories to demonstrate just how well quality contro ...more
Published January 2nd 1980 by Signet (first published December 28th 1979)

Start your review of Quality Is Free
Sheryl
Nov 28, 2011 added it
I have known Philip Crosby, the world's renowned quality guru, seven years ago when I was handling Quality Consciousness, Habits and Processes subject. Looking back, I really admire this brilliant person for he gave me an idea what quality is all about, how to measure it, and why it is importance to uphold it in an organization. It was my first time to handle a Quality Control subject, but I really enjoyed it for I have learned a lot from Philip Crosby.

Doing things right the first time adds noth
Ed Selkow
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Learned about this book the hard way. I was contracted to clean the offices of the foremost authority on quality control. Didn't only read the book but worked for the author's company and it changed my professional life. ...more
Brad Ward
Jun 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Quality is Free (1979) reads like a modern-day management theory text. Although “quality” in the title makes it seem like it is geared strictly towards QC professionals, it really feels like it was written almost yesterday for anybody practicing management. One example of how current the writing feels is that Crosby mentions smallpox and why people would (or would not) get vaccinated. Undoubtedly, smallpox is a dated virus but the reasons why people would get a shot (Covid) could be cut and past ...more
David
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quality is conformance to requirements. In this way, quality can be “free” - do the job right the first time around, or cause the requirements or tools to be changed if they are preventing you from doing it right. In this way, Zero Defects can be achieved.

Very good read, but I’m not sure how well it translates outside of manufacturing - the software world is not like a production line: requirements are fuzzy, the designers are also the builders, and defects often arise from emergent complexity.
Andre
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I've encountered most of this material in other books that came after: Deming, TOC, Lean, etc.
What I can't reconcile is the "do it right the first time" conformance approach to quality with the approaches that have come later: devops, TMS, etc. While they shoot for zero defects they (in particular Deming) realize that there is inherent variability in the system that prevent achieving literally ZD.
Adam Cook
Aug 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good book with a nice system and lots of wisdom. Some disagreements on a few of the concepts and it could do with modernisation but other than that still a great read for those who are in the business of quality (everyone!).
Mat Rueter
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't what you find, it's what you do about what you find. ...more
Abdulla Najim
Nov 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
The cost of quality is the price of non conformance
Robert Benson
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book on Quality. Philip Crosby was a genius on explaining Quality and giving practical ways to achieve effective high Quality in your organization.
Og Maciel
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Though this book was written in the late 1970s, its ideas and concepts are very much still valid and worth of your time. Whoever said that quality should only happen at the end of a process, be that in manufacturing, software development or in your private life, needs to get themselves up to speed. Quality IS free and should be part of every single phase! Gave it ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Matt Belcroft
I learned a few things about the definition of quality but I can't say that I was very moved by the book. I don't see my self in a position to influence quality control programs at my work so it really wasn't very interesting to read. ...more
carl  theaker
Apr 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Corporate America 1990s required reading for all levels. It has some good insights.
Ron
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quality
It is ALWAYS cheaper to do it right than to do it wrong over and over. Quality that is built in verses tested out will be FREE.
Ed Selkow
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for every company owner.
Brittany
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
A lot of repetition helps Crosby get the point across. I read this for the advanced topics in project management class at FSU. Not a bad read altogether and the concept makes perfect sense.
Ssuffex
Apr 22, 2016 is currently reading it
ccxc

• The End of Her
  • Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures
  • Playing Nice
  • Smart Collaboration: How Professionals and Their Firms Succeed by Breaking Down Silos
  • Modern Genetic Analysis: Integrating Genes and Genomes
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • Veg in One Bed: How to Grow an Abundance of Food in One Raised Bed, Month by Month
  • Song of Solomon
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • AWS: The Complete Beginner's Guide to Mastering Amazon Web Services
  • Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern
  • The Illegal
  • The Service Profit Chain
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • More Myself: A Journey
  • Just Plain Folks: Original Tales of Living, Loving, Longing and Learning As Told by a Perfectly Ordinary, Quite Commonly Sensible, and Absolutely Awe-Inspiring, Colored Woman
  • Dubliners

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

The weather’s getting cooler—here in the northern hemisphere, anyway—and that means time is running out for participants in this year’s...