Start by marking “Mars, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Mars, Vol. 1

Mars, Vol. 1

(Mars #1)

A bad boy can change a good girl forever. Rei is the school delinquent. Kira is shy and studious. What they see in each other is a mystery to their friends. What they find in each other is a miracle to themselves. With a style that is artistic and chic, this tale of restless and confused high school love will appeal to young women everywhere.

Kira and Rei might as well be f
Published April 23rd 2002 by Tokyopop (first published May 13th 1996)

Start your review of Mars, Vol. 1
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I remember reading some of Mars when I was in college, although I never finished the series. It's an older shoujo manga from the 90s and the style is very similar to Yoko Kamio's Hana Yori Dango. Like Hana Yori Dango and Peach Girl, as well, the storyline is a lot darker, featuring some pretty tough subjects, like death, bullying, abuse, sex, and forbidden love.

The story is about a shy girl named Kira and a bad boy named Rei. They remind
Spira Virgo
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested to try a romance manga.

Book: Mars Vol 1 (Mars 1#) by Fuyumi Soryo
Genre: Abuse, Coming of Age, Psychological, Coming of Age, Manga, Shojo, Romance and Gothic.
Creatures: Non, just humans it's not a fantasy XDDD
Age: Young Adult, Mature.
Pages: 200 pages.
Format: Paperback
Publication: April 23rd 2002 by Tokyopop
Final Rating: 4/5

"This is the first portrait I drew. The Model was a 17-year old boy. I titled it "Mars."
Mars Signify two things-
One is the planet,
The other is a soldier-
THE GOD OF WAR." - Fuyumi Soryo

When peopl
The Scarecrow
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to The Scarecrow by: Courtney
My first experiences with shōjo manga were the likes of Fruits Basket and Hana Kimi. It's no wonder that I dismissed the genre as flippant, cheesy and inherently pointless. Most shōjo manga consists of impossibly handsome boys who are good at everything, girls who are vanilla wish-fulfilment devices and a plot that revolves around nothing but inexplicable instant romances.

That said, Mars has single-handedly crushed these stereotypes and restored my faith in the genre. I'm eternally grateful to C
Cory
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, shoujo
Kind of cliched with standard shoujo art, but if you're looking for a light read, this is for you. To tell the truth, I prefer Love Roma, Volume 1. I need humor in my shoujo.

2.5 stars. I want a manga where the girl rides the motorcycle and the guy is the sensitive painter.
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: june-2019
A good start to what seems to be leading up to a great manga.
Arminzerella
Kira is a quiet, shy, artistic girl who never stands up for herself - not that she's needed to. Everyone pretty much ignores her. Until this bad boy on a motorcycle shows up. She hates him on principle, but then is drawn to his beauty and the tenderness that
she senses in his character (he asks to keep one of her drawings for sentimental reasons). He is lovely, and he’s devoted to protecting her from the sudden burning jealousies that arise in the bosoms of all the other girls in the school once
Ross Wilcox
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! For so much of my life, I have been a closed minded douchebag guy when it comes to romance. I thank the heavens that this is no longer the case and that i am now open to romance and romantic comedies. They are so much fun! So titillating!

This manga is from the late 90s and although there are lots of cliches and some stuff hasn't aged that well, I did not give a fuck. The story is a hot, melodramatic mess. I loved this volume for its strengths and its flaws. I'm reading it strictly
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
A bad boy can change a good girl forever.

In English, this is the tagline placed with the release of the series MARS. It's befitting... yet also not, because it's not so much about a bad boy and a good girl, but about the remarkable influence people can have on each other to push them into being the best versions of themselves.

Also, as I'm writing this review in October 2019, all 15 volumes are available to read for free for Amazon prime members through the Prime Reading program and I believe i
Gary Butler
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
27th book read in 2017.

Number 186 out of 592 on my all time book list.
Fiona
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'll start off by stating that this is a review of the series, not of this one volume.

I’ve been out of the manga/anime scene for quite a long time now, but a friend recommended this one to me and I decided to give it a try. I’m so glad that I did. While Mars undeniably falls victim to a few of the classic romance manga cliches, I found it quite easy to overlook its flaws. Sure the "shy girl meets bad boy" dynamic is something that has been done before (horridly overdone, really), but it's what S
Starbubbles
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I must have been in a bitter and angsty mood lately because I was expecting there to be more angst in this. This series in almost its entirety has been in my possession for over a couple of years now. I have been avoiding it because I had known from the time I was in high school its premise and that it was more dramatic than Peach Girl. In some ways, I would have to disagree. With practically every breath, Momo was facing something else dramatic and torturous. Mars did not hold that same intensi ...more
Summer
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot describe how much I love Mars. It's your typical bad guy meets shy girl, bad boy helps girl overcome shyness, they fall in love but not without their share of problems. But it's sooo much more than that. The characters heal each other in their relationships and overcome some serious issues. I love this manga so much I have the really cheesy Taiwanese tv drama based on it. Before I nerd out any more over this series I'm just going to end by saying it's one of my favorite manga series ...more
Mir
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, ya
Not actually anything to do with the planet Mars, and not the sort of manga I normally read. Not my preferred art style, either. I was surprised at how the characters grew on me.
Beth { h i a t u s } F.
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Amazingly done. I really liked this one!! It’s silly in moments but it is overall a fairly serious manga. I liked the art student aspect of it!

(Side Note: this is really bugging me and you all probably know this, but they said that kissing is just an everyday thing in America that family and friends do. That is so incorrect. We are kind of the opposite)
Meepelous
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
Looking at Fuyumi Soryo's wikipedia page, it was interesting to learn about some of her work that has yet to be translated into English, including her most recent work Cesare which centers around the infamous Borgia family of the Italian Renaissance and Cesare Borgia himself. As if we don't have enough pop culture about the Borgia! The breadth of her work is actually quite large, considering her first two series were both shojo manga centered around romancing delinquent male youth, her third tit ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, romance
Like with other mangas, I buy just the first one of a friend recommends it to me, or I read her manga. So I read her Mars vol 1, and was hooked. Since then I have bought the entire set for myself. The story of Rei and Kira is fascinating and exciting, along with some rather dramatic moments. Wonderful manga!
Lauren
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I did not know what to make of the characters when I first started reading the series. Overtime I grew to love them and went through their ups and downs and all the drama they faced. I ended up loving the series!
Silvia  Gutierrez
5 Stars to all the series.
Read this if you haven't, forget all the Shoujo you have read before. This is a Great Drama/Plot/Romance.

This is not a light read.
Jillian
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was first getting into manga in middle school, this series was always on the shelf, and always advertised in other books I was reading. However, I was focused on collecting other series, and none of my friends had it, so I never got around to it. It's been long gone from store shelves at this point, but I was digging through some of my online manga bookmarks last night/early this morning and saw it there, so here we are.

I think Mars has a lot of typical shoujo elements to it, namely the j
Chelsea Gouin
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I somehow skipped this series in my manga rush as a pre-teen...probably because it was marketed as being so mature. However, I didn't real get those vibes in volume 1, Peach Girl was much more adult and I read that like there was no tomorrow.
Mars is about a "bad boy" named Rei who rides a motorcycle and races and has every girl in school fawning over him. But he only has eyes for the sweet, quiet girl. (I already forgot her name...)
This book, much like other manga, is such a quick read and it
~Cyanide Latte~
There are absolutely some manga series that I never got the chance to read in high school despite seeing them around and wanting desperately to, and I'm glad to announce that I have at last started Mars.

This series got advertised a fair bit in the advert pages in other manga series released by Tokyopop, and I had been on the fence about it in the past, as the tagline blurb for it wasn't doing the trick for me. The cover art on the other hand, that was always stunning. Nobody in the high school o
Victor The Reader
I started reading manga when I was in 7th grade, and I was just drawn into it so much and the “MARS” series was some of my first reads. It centers on the surprising growing high school relationship between bad boy heartthrob and motorcyclist 🏍 Rei and quiet good girl artist ✏️ Kira, who are both from different worlds, and their sudden chemistry starts to attract attention, mainly bad.

First reading it back then, it was just engrossing and hard to not stop reading it. It was definitely like a typi
Kayla Brunson
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, manga
I really didn't know what to expect when I picked this manga up. I saw this on a manga forum for if you like opposites attract romance. I completely agree with that claim! While this is an older manga, it really held my attention and kept it the whole time I read. We have two opposite people falling in love, mean girls, and the angst of it all. I ended up loving the both main characters and can't wait to see what happens with them!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Jenny Clark
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tokyopop-manga
The art is good, and the story is pretty good too. It will be interesting to see the developments in all the characters and their relationships. I do like that there is some mystery, but not enough that nothing makes sense, just enough to make you want to read more.
I also like the fact that Kira is so shy, but yet strong enough to tell Harumi to go ahead and break her right hand, she'll draw with her left, and break that too she'll draw with her feet.
It does seam a little extreme, but girls can
It's Jess✨
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
WOW! What a crazy ride. The stakes for the characters are so high but I can’t wait to see more from the characters and their history. They all seem twisted which is so interesting for a manga. I didn’t enjoy how they talked about death and life, I hope it will be talked about more. And I also did like some of the comments that were made, it is from 2002, but it still limited my enjoyed.

All in all a good read
Dennise
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this felt so tender and romantic even when it was a little cliche(bad boy x shy girl) i actually really enjoyed it,cried in chapter 3,if I'm crying this early on I assume the next couple of volumes are gonna be wild.
Rita
Just re-read this for the billionth time and it's still one of my favorite things everrrr.

Also why is this series out of print I'm cry
✨ Zuly ✨
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT SO FAR!!!! The art is so beautiful, from the character design to the layout of each page. The story is sweet and the more I read it, the more I like it.
nina o
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2020
i can't even fault kira for falling in love with rei after 50 pages because i also fell in love with rei after 50 pages
Shāfiya Mū
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mars is definitely a series for the ages. It has everything that one could possibly ask for when looking for a great romance manga series, and then some. Whether you are a sucker for gorgeous art, tight-knit plot work, or beautiful characters with dark histories, you will definitely find yourself falling in love with this series before the end of the first volume.

My experience with Fuyumi Soryo began when I picked up her psychological sci-fi series Eternal Sabbath a few years ago. ES was one of
Q&A with D. Renee...: Manga Recommendation ~ Mars by Fuyumi Soryo 1 4 Jul 18, 2014 03:27AM
any good manga like mars? 7 144 Jul 16, 2014 09:03AM

• High School Debut, Vol. 01 (High School Debut, #1)
  • Beast Master, Vol. 1 (Beast Master, #1)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)
  • Full Moon o Sagashite, Vol. 1
  • Dengeki Daisy, Vol. 1 (Dengeki Daisy, #1)
  • Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1: Priestess
  • Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom, Vol. 1 (Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom, #1)
  • Hellsing, Vol. 01 (Hellsing, #1)
  • Black Bird, Vol. 1
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1
  • Nana, Vol. 1
  • Ceres: Celestial Legend, Vol. 1: Aya
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 1
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 1 (Kamisama Kiss, #1)
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 1 (MeruPuri, #1)
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 1
  • Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 (Sailor Moon, #1)
Fuyumi Soryo (惣領 冬実 Sōryō Fuyumi?, born January 6, 1959) is a Japanese manga artist from Beppu, Oita, Japan. She is a graduate of the Oita prefectural Geijutsu Midorigaoka High School.

She was born into the home of a master of the Kanze school of Noh. In her childhood she liked to draw pictures of horses and things but had no special interest in manga. While enrolled in fashion college, she happene

Mars (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Mars, Vol. 2
  • Mars, Vol. 9
  • Mars, Vol. 10
  • Mars, Volume 11

News & Interviews

“The world is full of selfish people and there is nothing you can do to save it . no matter how well you hide it .selfishness seeps out slowly spreading its awful stench..” 1 likes