Rhonda’s review of The Wrythe and the Reckoning > Likes and Comments

231 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Rhonda (last edited Dec 12, 2019 07:59PM) (new)

Rhonda I read the first chapter of the finished book and unfortunately the issues with the writing style I mentioned are still present--the chapter was exactly or near exactly the same as the ARC. I appreciate the book and the author's effort, but would still not recommend.


message 2: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda I’m sorry you feel hurt by some of the reviews but what you’re doing is not professional.


message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda I have been nothing but honest and polite. I did not tag you or seek you out; you came to me. You insulted me. Once again, I’m sorry if you feel hurt by the negative reviews, but you chose to read them. Reviews are for readers, not authors. If you do choose to read a critical review and don’t want to accept the critique, that’s fine, it’s your choice. But it’s not OK to insult those giving critiques. I wish you and your book nothing but success—every book finds its reader eventually. But that’s all I am going to say. Have a great day.


message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe Yvonthia wrote: "You thought you were going to bully me and I was going to be quiet. The problem began when you posted my ARC novel without my permission onto GoodReads. Then, after admitting that you only skim-rea..."

Even though you haven't claimed your author profile on Goodreads (yet?), you would do well to seek out the Goodreads Author Guidelines: https://www.goodreads.com/author/guid... , specifically the part that says
Don't engage with people who negatively rate or review your books. We cannot stress this enough. Goodreads is a community for all readers to express their honest opinions about the books they choose to read and shelve. Engaging with people who don't like your book will not win you any new readers. Remember that Goodreads is a public space; other readers will see a reaction from the author and interpret it as hostile regardless of how carefully the response was crafted.
Your behaviour is very unprofessional.

Also, you apparently don't understand what ARCs are (should be, namely: a complete novel that may need some tweaks here and there), and what Goodreads is.

I don't know why you assume that Rhonda posted the ARC on Goodreads. The bibliographic record was added by somebody else (and it was within their rights to do so), and Rhonda merely added a review.

And it was perfectly within Rhonda's rights to only read part of the book. As somebody else wrote, you don't need to finish the plate if the first few bites tell you the food is awful.

Judging from the way you respond to reviews, I think you are the one who is bullying here.


message 5: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda lethe wrote: "Yvonthia wrote: "You thought you were going to bully me and I was going to be quiet. The problem began when you posted my ARC novel without my permission onto GoodReads. Then, after admitting that ..."

Thank you, lethe. I've flagged both of her comments. This is unbelievable.


message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe Agreed. You handled it very well.


message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine It is a very fair and well written review.


wishforagiraffe What a slam dunk of a response to a completely entitled author.


message 9: by Teal (new)

Teal Thank you for a helpful review, Rhonda, and for setting an example of how to act with grace and dignity in the face of harassment.


message 10: by Yoyo (new)

Yoyo Someone should inform the author of this book that someone is pretending to be them or hacked their account because I am absolutely dying at the thought of a writer not only losing it over a bad review, but honest to god going 'I'm SO FIERCE!' more than once in their replies like a child. I really don't want to believe it.


Karma♥Bites ^.~ Yvonthia wrote: (view spoiler) I appreciate all those reviewers who were honest in stating that they were reviewing an ARC version of the novel. You notice I didn't complain about any of their reviews. Good day."

For sake of posterity, copied her entire post & put all but relevant portion (in bold) in spoiler tag.

Clearly, this author utterly missed Rhonda's last paragraph in which she stated: I really, really wanted to like this book, as it’s the first ARC I’ve ever had the honor of reading,...

Rhonda, I'm so sorry that you had such horrid experience w/ your first ARC. And that this nonsense arose months after you posted your excellent review.

Chin up! And bottoms up, as it's officially the weekend ;-)


message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Clarke Well here’s another author for my Nope list.


message 13: by Teal (new)

Teal Theresa wrote: "Well here’s another author for my Nope list."

LOL Yep. Immediately added her to mine.


message 14: by Maura (new)

Maura Bright Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Yvonthia wrote: [spoilers removed] I appreciate all those reviewers who were honest in stating that they were reviewing an ARC version of the novel. You notice I didn't complain about any of their ..."

That part you highlighted? Ms. Yvonthia was lying because she also directly commented under another negative review that definitively stated they were reviewing an arc.


message 15: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 14, 2019 02:37PM) (new)

Alexandra Yvonthia wrote: "Ooh, chapter 1. Well then, applaud for the expert of the novel. There's an entire story that you're missing out on, you don't even know. Is it my fault that you'd rather read books that read like f..."

Yvonthia, you are incredibly rude, completely unprofessional, extremely clueless AND in violation of GR TOS.

First off, this is Rhonda's space where you've come barging rudely in to chastise and insult her.

"You thought you were going to bully me and I was going to be quiet."

You have not been bullied. This reviewer stated her opinion about a book in HER review space. Which she has the right to do. That's not bullying.

"The problem began when you posted my ARC novel without my permission onto GoodReads."

Um, no. The problem began when you placed your book on NetGalley while obviously having zero understanding of what that is for. NetGalley provides copies of books, yes often ARC copies, for reviewers, who then are allowed to post their reviews ANY FREAKING PLACE THEY WANT TO, including Goodreads. NO ONE needs your permission for that. If you don't want anyone to share opinions about a book then don't offer it - free or for sale - to anyone to read.

"Then, after admitting that you only skim-read it, you posted a review of the novel.."

No one is obligated to read an entire book to form an opinion, and quite often that's unnecessary for the task. Most especially if that reader finds the book problematic.

" That was unethical of you. It doesn't matter how kindly you say it. It's still unethical. "

Nope, nothing whatsoever unethical about it, however your clear attempt to intimidate this reviewer is unethical, unprofessional, and flat out rude.

"Since when does a Booktuber or Bookstagrammer give a review when they have read only one chapter or skim-read the book. You are unprofessional, and I don't understand why you have authority on this site when you don't even have the courtesy to read the entire book before reviewing it."

Consumer reviewers aren't professionals, which is the entire point. So, we don't need to be professional. We're not the professional here, YOU ARE. And YOU are behaving entirely unprofessionally. Rhonda has the same authority on this site as every other user, and no one owes you the "courtesy" "to read the entire book before reviewing it." Rhonda has ZERO obligation to you whatsoever.

"Never again will I post another ARC for fans to read. Yes, fans. Did you not notice the high reviews on NetGalley for the ARC (the rough draft)? "

Netgalley isn't a place to offer books for fans to read, nor is it to offer rough drafts. So, good idea to never offer "rough drafts" for "fans" on Netgalley - that's not what it's for.

"It's funny how reviewers think they can unjustly attack an author and his/her book (without having read it fully or enough to know what the story is about), when she or he spent years writing their novel, editing every fine detail of it, losing sleep just so it is edited just how they want it to be, that the author will simply say nothing in response."

YOU were not attacked. Readers, including this one, posted opinions about a book, that is not an attack on a person. How much time you spent writing, editing, is absolutely no concern of readers. Doesn't matter one bit. Reader reviews are to be unbiased, unaffected by any consideration of the person with a financial interest in the product - you.

PROFESSIONAL and ETHICAL authors don't comment on reviews, because that's how professionals behave. The review is not FOR you. By harassing this reviewer you have shown yourself to be completely unaware of how the business of publishing works, and how to behave as a professional author.

If you keep this up you won't be on Goodreads very long.

You've also gotten tons of negative word-of-mouth attention, and been added to many NEVER READ lists. So, hope you learn how to behave professionally, or get out of the profession.


message 16: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Thank you for your honest review, Rhonda. We need reviewers who refuse to be intimidated by unprofessional, entitled divas.


message 17: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Holy shit, this author is BATSHIT.


message 18: by Bee (new)

Bee Mills Wow, the author is clearly off with the fairies. Even if she wasn't acting like a child in the comments, she'd be going on my Never Read list purely on the basis of that comment about fanfiction. *glares*


message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan (Ginger Mom) The sad thing is - it's not this author's book that turned me off to her completely. It's the horrible way she's been reacting to this. To be honest, I've never heard an author refer to an ARC as a "rough draft" (her quote: Did you not notice the high reviews on NetGalley for the ARC (the rough draft)?) If the ARC is such a rough draft, don't you think you should polish it up before offering it to reviewers? I've read plenty of ARCs that had mistakes but never had an author react so horribly when I pointed out their mistakes (as kindly as possible). This author also needs to understand that not everyone is going to enjoy her book. You don't have the right to lash out at reviewers. Definitely an author I will NEVER read. Thank you to everyone who is standing up for what is right :)


message 20: by Bee (new)

Bee Mills As I said on twitter, if it's not finished enough to be reviewed, it's not finished enough to be an ARC. Since, y'know, reviews are the entire point of ARCs...


message 21: by Ekollon (new)

Ekollon Wow, this is a pretty intense interaction. Rhonda, thank you for your review, thank you for your professionalism, and I'm sorry that you are having a hard time. I just steer clear of any book that I know I can't review honestly without risking retaliation.


message 22: by She (new)

She Who Reads Dear author, this isn't it. You're going down in flames and have no one to thank but yourself.


message 23: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Cunningham OH... MY gosh. 😳


message 24: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Yvonthia wrote: "You have all proven my point. Much appreciated. By the way, there are other platforms beyond GoodReads. I love GoodReads, but you unfair reviewers give it a bad name. Ask around. It's funny how rev..."

If this "we" you speak of is "all authors" I honestly no longer want to be an author. I get that you may be upset someone didn't like your book but jesus fucking christ this is not how you react!! I'm only a teenager but when I hand in stories I worked hard on and the teacher tells me their critiques I don't throw a hissy fit, I take in the criticism and do better next time


message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Yvonthia, no one is attacking you for your book. They’re speaking of their experience reading said book.

You shouldn’t publish if you’re unable to take criticism.

ARCs are not incomplete novels. They’re not rough drafts. They should be a complete novel.

You are attacking a reader and breaking TOS. Goodreads isn’t a terrible place but people like you make it so when you do this, stepping into a readers review to insult them because you don’t like what they have to say.

You book isn’t a precious, perfect thing. No book is. Treat it as such.

No book will be universally loved and that’s okay, but you’re being unprofessional and immature acting like you are.


message 26: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Just looked it up on NetGalley, here's the rundown of the reviews there:

5 stars: 3
4 stars: 6
3 stars: 7
2 stars: 5
1 star: 5

Consider also many who do reviews of ARCs unfortunately skew positive to please publishers, others won't post a review if it's gonna be negative. So, this is likely at least a bit skewed more positive than a true unbiased accounting would be. And that gives us...

A 2.88 average. Hardly a result worth bragging about. Sure, some say they liked it. Clearly others not so much.


message 27: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Ware An ARC reviewer writing an honest review is not bullying, and someone being honest about not liking a book and why is not corrupt. This review did not personally attack you. Not everyone is going to like your work, but that doesn't make their feedback any less relevant or valuable. You need to chill. Your temper tantrum is not becoming of you and does not do well for your image as an author.


message 28: by Ekollon (new)

Ekollon This is an aside that most people are probably aware of, but...

ARC (Advanced Review Copies) are supposed to be books that are basically done but are given out to reviewers to increase publicity of the book. There may be minor changes that happen before publication (formatting, grammar mistakes, etc), but the book is supposed to be pretty much done. It's a marketing strategy.

If the author wants to send out unfinished copies of the book and get feedback, copies that people aren't supposed to share their impression of with the public because the book isn't ready yet, those are beta copies for beta readers. This allows the author to get feedback on the book; this is an editing strategy.

If the book isn't basically entirely done, it isn't ready to be sent out as an ARC. Otherwise, the reviewers will have nothing to do once they read it because they would have no idea what the final product will look like. They won't be able to say, "Oh, this book is (good/bad/ok)" because they won't have read the book.

If an author just wants to send out a sneak peek, not a beta read or an ARC, then they should do that via their website or something.


message 29: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Baker I am adding this author to my do not read/buy list based on her reaction alone. The concept sounds like something I would enjoy. However the way she treats her readers is a huge reflection on her character. I am so sorry this is your first ARC experience. I truly hope the rest are not like this.


message 30: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Wow. I just want to point out that the author in this case is so unprofessional. Turning around and telling a reviewer to their book that they are as fierce as their books are, that this reviewer messed around with the wrong writer... I just can't anymore. I admit that I scoffed when I was reading through the author's comments. How this person is representing themselves on a social media platform is absolutely abominable. The author doesn't seem to realize that interested readers will read through the comments and when they see what she's doing, they will hit the back button so fast that nobody will read this book. I really hope that whoever is representing this author takes a look at what she's doing because I don't believe that she should be published whatsoever.


message 31: by Bee (new)

Bee Mills Oh I just thought of something! If the reviewers got ARCs from NetGalley, they're pretty much OBLIGATED to post a review - doesn't NG keep track of the ratio of reviews to reads to make sure people aren't just getting arcs for their own reading pleasure?


message 32: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Bee wrote: "Oh I just thought of something! If the reviewers got ARCs from NetGalley, they're pretty much OBLIGATED to post a review - doesn't NG keep track of the ratio of reviews to reads to make sure people..."

I am not sure about how NetGalley runs things, but I am fairly certain that if you get a book like this that you are supposed to review them. Again, I am not sure how NetGalley does things or how ARCS really work, but I think that since they are review copies that they are meant to be reviewed. If anyone can confirm?


message 33: by Septimia (last edited Dec 14, 2019 08:37PM) (new)

Septimia Zenobia One other point not covered by most folks here is the fact that this reviewer DID clearly read the whole ARC, not just the first chapter. She reread only the first chapter of the newly published version to see if it was substantially different. It wasn't. But the author's claim that she has not read the book is untrue.

The author is trying to pull Christian reader groups over to this thread, claiming that the reviewer's anti-Christian bias is to blame. The author is hoping to motivate a newly impassioned army to her cause. However, if the Christian reader group folks who initially answer her call do read the review, they will see that the reviewer's problems with the book included writing style, pacing, and plot elements. Moreover, the person behaving in a truly Christian manner is in fact the reviewer. None of us need to read the book to know that.

The reviewer has shown patience and empathy I do not possess in dealing with an author who is beyond unprofessional. Engaging with this author and trying to convince her of her error is probably futile. Moreover, we do not need to validate her persecution complex here. She will either learn or she will not. It is not for her that I write this comment.

It is for all the other readers and authors and reviewers on this site. The people who bother to write reviews do the rest of us a great service. Reviews are for readers. Authors worth their salt know this and keep their mouths shut, even when disappointed with a review.


message 34: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Septimia wrote: "One other point not covered by most folks here is the fact that this reviewer DID clearly read the whole ARC, not just the first chapter. She reread only the first chapter of the newly published ve..."

I didn't know that the author was on a campaign like this. I just thought she was guilty of attacking reviewers, but to learn that she is also on forums trying to rally supporters to her work is actually rather off-putting.

This makes the author guilty of trying to indirectly attack reviewers such as Rhonda. Absolutely disgusting. This author is problematic and should be dealt with accordingly by this site and by those in the publishing industry. Though it seems that she's a self published author... I could be wrong, though.


message 35: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Bee wrote: "Oh I just thought of something! If the reviewers got ARCs from NetGalley, they're pretty much OBLIGATED to post a review - doesn't NG keep track of the ratio of reviews to reads to make sure people..."

NetGalley doesn't require a review. However, the expectation, of course, is that one usually will, and recommends at least an 80% average request to review. Nothing is done if the average is below that, although publishers make choices on which requests for ARCs to approve and which not, and a high likelihood a review won't be forthcoming certainly can give a higher chance on not approving a request.

Even so, trade pubs tend to approve for those with high followings, typically book bloggers. So, chances of approval for the rest of us regular folk is tough when it comes to them.

In short, there's no obligation to post a review, but it's good to usually do so if you can, although certainly understood that's not always going to be the case for a variety of reasons.


message 36: by Vivienne (new)

Vivienne Bee - you are right. There is an option to not give feedback on a title but this does impact on the reviewers overall ratio.
The author clearly doesn’t understand how ARCs and NetGalley functions.


message 37: by lethe (last edited Dec 15, 2019 02:09AM) (new)

lethe Septimia wrote: "One other point not covered by most folks here is the fact that this reviewer DID clearly read the whole ARC, not just the first chapter. She reread only the first chapter of the newly published ve..."

Great post, Septimia. Agreed on all counts.

The author has joined 177 groups (last time I checked) in the past few days and while I believe she spammed most of them only with her free Kindle offer, on at least some she related her version of events.

I know one author called her out, saying that they had taken a look and in their opinion it was Yvonthia herself who had stirred up the drama.

In another group sympathy was offered but AFAIK nobody looked at the reviews and the comments.

ETA And I now see her comments were deleted from this thread. AND she has been approved as a Goodreads Author! 😵 *smh*


message 38: by Vivienne (new)

Vivienne Lethe: wow 177 groups! I expect that given her comments were against Goodreads rules and were reported may have been deleted by GR.
Still will live on in screenshots 😻


message 39: by lethe (new)

lethe Vivienne wrote: "Lethe: wow 177 groups! I expect that given her comments were against Goodreads rules and were reported may have been deleted by GR.
Still will live on in screenshots 😻"


Yes 😏

But I can't believe she was granted GR Author status anyway (unless it is an automated process, which we have been assured repeatedly it isn't).

So far she has shown no sign of repentance. I am wondering if we will ever see her sincere apologies to the reviewers she harassed.


message 40: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Great review


message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Rhonda, you handled that quite a bit better than I would have. You wrote a great review and outlined what your difficulties were with the book. You did exactly right. The fact the author is whining and throwing a literal tantrum has nothing to do and is all in them.


message 42: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I suspect that the author removed her comments herself. This is probably because she realized that she was misrepresenting herself on her social media platforms. Yet, she doesn't seem to grasp the fact that the damage has already been done. People have shared this story on their own social media platforms. There are screenshots of her behaviour.

Also, she's on Twitter blasting reviewers.

One thing that I've got to say is that this author seems very full of herself. She seems to be under the impression that the casual reader won't understand her book or appreciate her 'literature' because her book is written in 'sophisticated' English.

Doesn't mean that the casual reader won't be able to understand modern English, right? Unless she's writing in Old English or Middle English... we don't exactly need a translator or a book made up of explanatory notes talking about the meaning of words that she's written. She attacks readers for their reviews and she attacks readers based on their 'intellect'.

Definitely not supporting this author in any shape or form.

Does anybody know if an author could lose their goodreads status? We all have evidence of her attacking reviewers. Surely, this author's actions are not at all supported by this site.


message 43: by lethe (last edited Dec 15, 2019 10:26AM) (new)

lethe Tiffany wrote: "She seems to be under the impression that the casual reader won't understand her book or appreciate her 'literature' because her book is written in 'sophisticated' English."

I remember reading (perhaps in a comment she posted in one the YA groups she joined) that her book would be great for fans of Twilight.

No offence, but Twilight is hardly literature.

Does anybody know if an author could lose their goodreads status?

She has just been approved as Goodreads Author today...


message 44: by HC (new)

HC Bless you for even being able to skim through any part of this. To be fair to the author I went to amazon and clicked on "look inside", the poor writing (even the first paragraph, almost all the sentences start the same way) had my eyes glazing over immediately.


The Coycaterpillar Reads I'm so sorry this has happened to you. You were completely professional.


message 46: by lethe (new)

lethe The author's latest tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/YvonthiaLe...

Yeah, just keep digging, girl. Admitting you were wrong is so difficult... *smh*


message 47: by Ekollon (new)

Ekollon Oop, she's blocking accounts on Twitter even if those accounts haven't interacted with her.


message 48: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany lethe: I haven't read Twilight for awhile, but I remember some of it. Definitely cringe worthy, but I don't believe that the author of Twilight ever attacked any of her reviewers the way that this author does.

She's blocked me on Twitter. She's going on a rampage and is blocking anybody that is condemning her for her actions, and trying to talk some sense into her. I really hope that she takes a few hours, drinks some tea or hot chocolate and thinks, then comes back and addresses the problems she's caused. Even if she says that she acted rashly because she didn't expect criticism to her work, and that she is sorry for causing this and she'd work extra hard next time. That would be better then actively attacking everyone that disagrees with her.

The sad thing is about this is the fact that she's doing so much damage to herself. It's heartbreaking to see an author unravel and not being able to do anything about it. She needs to have some time to think and then respond rationally to this. It just seems to me that she's doing damage control, but she's not doing it in a way that is healthy for her and her career.


message 49: by Ekollon (last edited Dec 15, 2019 03:16PM) (new)

Ekollon The thing is, it's clear that she didn't understand what an ARC is or what Netgalley is for (she talked about how Netgalley doesn't give permission to post reviews to Goodreads, when in fact Netgalley encourages people to post on Goodreads and other sites). And I can understand being wildly rattled if you sent out WIP intending it be a sneak peek to a place that was actually for showcasing complete works for publicity and things went wrong from there. That would be hard.

But that doesn't mean that the reviewers were in the wrong. The author who sent the WIP to the reviewers was the one who made the mistake; the reviewers expressed interest in reviewing what was presented to them as a complete work because that's what ARCs are. It's a situation that can be learned from for the future, and the author can say, "Oh, Gosh, I'm so sorry, I misunderstood Netgalley and what I was supposed to submit to it! You're right, it wasn't finished, I've revised since then," and hope people take that into account, but that's really the best you can do.

This whole going after reviewers is the opposite of what should be done.


message 50: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany According to somebody that I am talking to, Netgalley costs a lot of money for authors. It baffles me that somebody would go to Netgalley, spend all that money to post a book that wasn't even close to being ready for publication. I think the author said that it was an unfinished book. I believe what she intended was teasing readers into getting free copies, giving attention and praise to her book, and then buying physical copies of the completed work.

She definitely made a mistake in this case, and I find it sad that she's hitting back and not learning from her mistake at all. If she jumped ahead and didn't understand what Netgalley was used for because she wanted her book out there, then that would be one thing. Turn around and say that this was the case, and push back publishing for a little bit, then come back here and say that you are sorry for putting readers through that but the completed copy of the book is now complete.

Just don't attack reviewers. If anything can be learnt from my fanfiction writing days, it's that you lose a lot more than your reputation when you hit back against reviewers. You can lose the respect of the entire fandom. This can also be applied to those writing on sites such as Wattpad, where review responses are made public. I've seen really good writers lose the respect of readers and their writing peers for launching attacks against concritters.


« previous 1
back to top