Tara’s review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) > Likes and Comments

375 likes · 
Comments (showing 1-50 of 640) (640 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip I can't believe I read your whole review. Now that was a waste of time.


message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana You are spot on! I loved reading your review! I completely agree with you!


message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2008 07:52PM) (new)

Tara, I didn't read your whole review, but I skimmed it, and I think I can explain the Elder Wand to you. Transferring it was if they KILLED them, not defeated them. Grindelwald wasn't the wand's owner. That's why Dumbledore defeated him. I thought that was pretty obvious, but I guess that some people just didn't get it.


message 4: by Gail (new)

Gail The previous explanation of wand allegiance is simply not true. Harry did not kill Draco, but still gained ownership of his wand (during the fight scene in the Malfoys' manor); Dumbledore did not kill Grindelwald -- yet he acquired legitimate possession of the Elder wand. Even if we maintain, for argument's sake, that Gregorovitch was the owner of the Elder wand, remember that Dumbledore didn't kill (or as far as we know, even duel) him either. HOWEVER, we know that Dumbledore is the rightful owner of the Elder wand because of the subsequent cascade of ownership (i.e. from Dumbledore to Draco; from Draco to Harry). Clearly, Tara was correct in pointing out the incongruous nature of this whole wand business.


message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Blaise sez:"But Neville is just...I am so curious as to know what he and Luna did at Hogwarts. And why oh why didn't he kill Bellatrix? I don't understand."

Probably the most problematic thing about the entire series is that Harry is the central character, therefore, all of the action that HE sees is all that WE the reader get to see. And everything else that happens We and Harry learn via hearsay or the spiritual connection between Harry and Voldemort. I did miss Hogwarts more than anything else in DH. Guess we'll never know what happened while H, R & H were out traipsing through the forests, unless Rowling decides to make a sideline story detailing what we missed.



message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan sorry, completely disagree. I think Rowling was brilliant in this book. I find most of what you said to be a matter of artistic difference. Not a bad thing, but I think I still prefer the way Rowling did it. I think all the things about the charactors that you hated in book 7 are simply what drives us crazy about all teenagers. As the father of two of them right now, I can tell you that they do not always act the way we want them to.


message 7: by Dash (new)

Dash I agree and disagree, first of all I didn't think that you got spot on the fact that there could have been a better ending. In fact the ending was as good as it could be. everything cleared up and everything was happy. now where i do agree with is on the fact that it is a messed up plot.


message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara I completely disagree with you tara, i agree with ryan. I think that JK is brilliant, and the seventh book was my favorite out of the whole series. She combined bits and peices from other books, eg the snitch, to make a very creative and captivating plot.


message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Wow, that is a really insightful review, if a little scary in its obsessiveness with HP. I am just amazed that you have that much time on your hands! I didn't know any of the plot twists Rowling had up her sleeve and I enjoyed the book just fine.


message 10: by Annalisa (last edited Aug 27, 2008 06:50PM) (new)

Annalisa I'm sorry you didn't like the book. I know what it's like to be invested in a series and be let down by the conclusion. And I don't think your review is obsessive; sometimes bad reviews help us get over disappointment.

A few counterpoints: Moody's magical eye was more powerful than the magic of the cloak; the dementors don't see but sense emotion which the cloak doesn't hide. Snape's obsession with Lily is strange but not unbelievable. He had an epiphany about evil. That's what was keeping him good. His guilt about Lily was making him keep his promise. Lily is a Mary Sue because we only see brief interactions with her Harry who idolizes her. Any mom can be sweet to her son twice in 17 years. I don't think she's infallible in her youth.

I didn't think the trio were out of character other than a little older but just as teenage annoying as ever. Hermoine cries in several books, Ron has always been a hot-head who doesn't back Harry, and the anger/conceit in Harry has been building. What I was disappointed with was Snape. I wanted more scenes, something more courageous from his death, and an explanation for the flying (though not plot holes). Plus I wanted to see his picture on the wall in the headmaster's office.

Do you really think people had all those twists figured out? I'd worked out a few, but I was pleasantly surprised. While I agree with the discrepency of the wands, I still loved the book. There were so many great scenes and the way it ended--while I know a lot of people who didn't like--brought the series full circle and changed the tone of the earlier books. It may have been unnecessary but I didn't want it to end and I for one was glad she included it. For me the biggest disappointment in this book was that it had to end. The last two books are what made me love the series.

Sorry so long :). I hope you are enjoying better reads this year.


message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth I agree with you about the death scenes. I cried actual tears when Dobby died but then found myself unemotional when I found out about the others' deaths.

However, I'm not exactly sure how you think so many people could've figured out all those plot twists. Maybe the people who were so obsessed with the series that they were threatening Rowling's life because she ended the series, but I can't imagine too many other people figuring out ALL of those plot twists. I didn't figure out any of them and I read (listened to I should say) the entire series in 6 months so everything was fresh in my mind.


message 12: by Slaiman (new)

Slaiman Dont read children's books then . dont complain . j.k dont need your review for her brilliant book .


message 13: by Joe (last edited Jan 06, 2009 03:38PM) (new)

Joe Slaiman, its all arbitrary and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree with a lot of Tara's review and I thought the epilogue was contrived and unnecessary. I didn't really need to know what happened the future.

And as far as not reading childrens books, it took JK 11 years to write this series. Anyone who was a child when they started this, say 10 years old or so, would be 21 years old now. Hardly a child anymore. As the readers grew up so did the books so you can't really call any of the books past book 4 children's books.


message 14: by Arya (new)

Arya Sara wrote: "I completely disagree with you tara, i agree with ryan. I think that JK is brilliant, and the seventh book was my favorite out of the whole series. She combined bits and peices from other books, eg..."

I agree with Sara and Ryan! I LOVED all of the Harry Potter books, number 6 was my favorite, but 7 and 3 tie for 2nd!


message 15: by Carolanne (new)

Carolanne Wow!! People on here are getting harsh! Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
I am one of those people who was 10 when it started and 21 when it ended, so I have a lot of emotions and time invested in this series, (and I was what you would call an "obsessive fan") but I would agree with Tara. Although, I didn't really guess very many of the twists (except for RAB- I mean, really! Come on! That one was way to simple), this book was still lacking in the magic the first six had.


message 16: by Carolanne (new)

Carolanne Wow!! People on here are getting harsh! Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
I am one of those people who was 10 when it started and 21 when it ended, so I have a lot of emotions and time invested in this series, (and I was what you would call an "obsessive fan") but I would agree with Tara. Although, I didn't really guess very many of the twists (except for RAB- I mean, really! Come on! That one was way to simple), this book was still lacking in the magic the first six had.


message 17: by Albert (new)

Albert Good review though I appreciated Deathly Hallows.

I also hoped than Remus Lupin receive greater value since he played an important role in the series.


message 18: by Chance (last edited Feb 22, 2009 03:29PM) (new)

Chance I liked the first and second books, but they kept going downhill. When it hit the deathly Hallows I was just dissappointed in J.K. Rowling and thought she could have done a better job. The relationship between Harry and Ginny was so cheesy beyond belief also.


message 19: by Arya (new)

Arya Ahh, Chance really? I thought Ginny and Harry's realationship was so cute! Adorable!


message 20: by Arya (new)

Arya Great comment Hayden!!


message 21: by Arya (new)

Arya Ha, ha, ha- Me too!!


message 22: by bruxabrvxa (new)

bruxabrvxa I'm so glad to find out that I'm not the only one hating the last book... I mean, seriously, I read better fanfics out there, as you said, I just just couldn't believe on that book. I read it on the internet, and when I finished, I thought someone was making fun of me! "This CAN'T be it", it was all I thought... But I bought the book and there it was. It just ruined the whole HP series to me, honestly. I particularly hate the absurd story Rowling came up with for Dumbledore, and I've always hated HP character, but he was just unberable... Also, I can't believe she just killed Lupin AND Tonks, the poor couple almost didn't had a chance at happiness, she just discarted them so easily, as if they were some kind of third-class characters... I hated this book. I just hated it, and I can't understand how a true pottermaniac can like it at all.


message 23: by Roshio (new)

Roshio Wow its like you took the words out of my head and put them in your review! Firstly H/Hr, so right! Ron in that book annoyed the hell out of me, i mean at one stage i was like why the hell didnt she just kill Ron, better him than Fred (although he did have his good moments). Secondly, Remus, definitely agree with you. His death got like what, a line or two. Then the Epilogue, i havent read that since i first read the book and that was the night it came out. Awful! Basically cringe worthy. You also put some stuff in there i never thought about, the Elder Wand for example, too true. One thing i dont agree with is Snape's bit. I can see why harry would call him Severus. He was one of the bravest characters in the whole book, i think he deserved that. i really enjoyed it but the 'nineteen years later' ruined what could have been a fantastic end.


message 24: by Donna (new)

Donna Yes, Hayden, Harry Potter is a book about magic, but magic does not have to be without logic. If you take anything away from Rowling's world, it's that magic has rules and regulations. There are limits to what a wizard or witch can do. The greatest disappointment to me about book 7 was that Rowling seemed to throw out a lot of her previous unbreakable "rules", like Unforgivables being unforgivable.

Even if you take out the dismal plot and contrived action (Hermione=walking plot point), this book still wouldn't be my favorite. The pacing was just so off from the tight, exciting action of books 1-3.


message 25: by George (new)

George witchcraft!




message 26: by Oda (new)

Oda K. What i don't get is: Why would you write a long book review about a book you don't even like?. Like why would you use your time to do that? My opinion of the book is the opposite of yours! I loved what J.K Rowling did to the last book and I liked the seventh the most..


message 27: by Oda (new)

Oda K. Hayden wrote: "I liked how long and descriptive your review was. However, I did NOT like what it was about. You mention that this book defines logic....it's harry potter for crying out loud. wands that cast magic..."

I agree! The Harry Potter-series is a good excuse to get away from reality.


message 28: by Gracie (new)

Gracie I completely disagree with your opinion, but, you are entitled to it, so I won't be a git.


message 29: by Jared (new)

Jared Annalisa wrote: "I'm sorry you didn't like the book. I know what it's like to be invested in a series and be let down by the conclusion. And I don't think your review is obsessive; sometimes bad reviews help us get..."

Alright, first of all the invisibility cloak was infallible. Moody's magical eye is why he could see through it. And Dememtors can't "see" at all. They can feel a person's feelings. That's why they could tell if anyone was there under an invisibility cloak.

I do however think that Lupin's death could've been more emotional. I was very depressed about Dobby, and thought that it was probably way more emotional than all of the battle of hogwarts.

I started writing a retort and then I scrolled up and saw this. It was almost exactly the way I felt and I cna't believe that anyone doesn't like Harry Potter.


message 30: by Gracie (new)

Gracie same!


message 31: by Julia (new)

Julia one star????? i didnt even read the review, cuz its not worth it.

all harry potter fans out there! yay for us!


message 32: by Corinne (new)

Corinne TOTAL HARRY POTTER ADDICT!!MUST BUY WHOLE SEIRES!8D P.S. I skiped lunch a few times reading. And dinner. And breakfast. ;)


message 33: by Merrin (new)

Merrin A lot of people have countered the things I would say, but the part that gets me most is this: But the fact remains that the most romantic scenes in this book were between Harry and Hermione.

That? Is simply not true. It's not fact, it is your interpretation of the text, based on the your previously stated H/Hr preferences. I didn't find those scenes romantic in the slightest, I found them to be adorable touching scenes between two best friends. Your insistence that they have the most chemistry and all the history and other blah blah blah is also your opinion, based on your preference for H/Hr.

So your insistence that you didn't like who everyone ended up with is not only because you are a H/Hr shipper doesn't ring entirely true.

So hey, sorry 'bout ya there.


message 34: by Paulette (last edited Sep 16, 2009 07:11AM) (new)

Paulette Interesting and somewhat alarming review. I too missed the ludicrous, knuckleheaded, 'endearing' characters of the first five books. The absence or minimisation of them did leave a hole - but don't you think it was necessary to the plot rather than a drop in quality of the writing?

It is easy to say "honestly, who didn't know Harry was a horcrux etc" after you've read the book. Admit it, you had suspicions and you went back and reread the books delving for the cleverly hidden clues, then you spent delicious hours with your friends discussing your theories. You even joined forums online where you discovered more clues that you hadn't thought of. Please don't fob off the writing as
incredible stupidity just because you spent the time to work it out. Remember how much fun that was?

As for the Elder wand, I agree I found wand lore confusing and a bit tedious but if you reread the book (which you won't because you hated it) I am sure you will find there are no loose ends.
I don't think Harry is the least bit "stupid and conceited" when it comes to the Elder wand, he just doesn't want anything to do with what it represents. You're right though, he should have broken it.

Your review came across very well thought out but you lost me at "Harry uses Unforgivable Curses without remorse" I could be wrong but I don't ever remember Harry using Avada Kadavra, Crutiatus or Imperio... can anyone quote the passages?
Wait... he did try the Crutiatus curse on Bellatrix but it didn't work very well because he isn't evil enough. (And no one would blame him for being unremorseful - she had just killed Sirius for gods sake).

and "Staring at a Ginny dot.. can we say creepy and stalkerish?". I think most people would have read that the way it was intended, that is to say Harry is a nice guy, taking a private moment from his miserable predicament to mourn for the company of the girl he loves. A girl who loves him back and wouldn't mind at all to know he was thinking of her.

Harry and Hermione? Really? Wow!

Ron... Don't you think it takes a grown up to return to the scene of the crime and face up to the music?

Snapes love for Lily. It is true that there are very few people in the world who would stay true to unrequited love, but Snape had the kind of loner intensity that that made it believable. And it gave him a redeeming quality to balance out the rest- the fact that we worked it out before it was published doesn't mean JKR is any less of a brilliant writer. It was all planned to happen the way it did from the very beginning.

The "quality" didn't "drop markedly"... the tone did. How do you escalate a war against an evil wizard and keep everyone laughing at the same time? Why would you?



message 35: by Matt (new)

Matt I don't get how some of you people can't just get over certain facts. Did you seriously expect Ron, Harry, and Hermione to stay the same. They were bound to change as they grew older. I'll give you the twists because those were pretty easy, but there was no lack of brilliant magic if you would pay attention to the other parts instead of just what you hated. H/Hr had a good relationship but it was only friendship and the books pointed that out from...I believe the sixth. Just learn to like it, try to accept and figure out why J.K. wrote what she did.


message 36: by Callie (new)

Callie Rose Tyler just one thing i would lke to say about Snape and lily...I think if you love someone and then feel responsible for their death that makes a somewhat lasting impression.


message 37: by Brandon (last edited Nov 22, 2009 08:05AM) (new)

Brandon The Elder Wand is not unbeatable. I mean, hello, the majority of its reality comes from an urban legend. Look at the rest of the Hallows. The invisibility cloak is fallible and the resurrection stone doesn't REALLY bring people back from the dead in ways one would think. By the logics of the myth, if Harry hid under the cloak for the rest of his life, then death would have never found him, and he would have never died. I mean, if one figured out Rowling's plot twists, I would (forgive me) assume one could see that the legend of the Hallows makes the Hallows seem more powerful than what they are.

The wand would have chosen Dumbledore anyway because the wand chooses the wizard. Grindelwald's surrender was his weakness to the wand, so that is why Dumbledore was able to wield it.

Why did Dumbledore not defeat Voldemort if he had it? Again, the wand isn't unbeatable. Besides, Dumbledore's main concern during that fight was the safety of Harry. If you noticed, Dumbledore was being completely defensive where as Voldemort was on the offense. Dumbledore was unable to defeat Voldemort? No, it was the other way around. Voldemort couldn't get past Dumbledore's defenses. So, I don't know what you were reading.

No one holds on that hard to love? Are you kidding me? So, now you're deciding in what ways people can feel? I know they're characters in a book, and they don't have real feelings, but give me a break. Snape was responsible for the death of the only person that EVER cared about him. How would that make you feel? Would you get over it? Sorry, I disagree with you there.

And you're upset because your favorite character didn't get the death he deserved? Seriously? If anything, Rowling's portrayal of death is spot on. Did Cedric deserve to die the way he did? Did Dumbledore deserve the way he died? That's the way death works. You can be the most noble, heroic person on the planet, and the reality of it all is someone can still break into your house and slit your throat in your sleep. Death doesn't care what you deserve, and I think Rowling portrays that realism wonderfully.

I would go into your other points about characterization, but you're nitpicking over the stupid, most insignificant things. Hermione's pathetic for crying over Ron? He LEFT her alone in the middle of nowhere. Wrap that around your brain. Harry is creepy and stalkerish for checking the map to see if Ginny is okay? Uhuh. It's a problem that Ron can copy Parsletongue? Not really. I can hear someone say "open" in Russian or Icelandic, and repeat it. I don't have to know what it means to say it.

Yeah, you complain about Rowling not putting enough heart and thought into the book, and here you're doing the same thing with your review.


message 38: by Jillydiane (new)

Jillydiane JKR is awesome but I do agree with you on the part of Harry's completely stupid altered personality and honestly the only reason hermione is with ron is because ron can't get anyone else. and i am a H/G shipper but i really think that Hermione isnt with Harry because He needs a friend when Ron is acting like a jerk. I think that also if you watched the interview with JKR you would be able to understand why she may have ended it cheesy. also think of the culture difference, Albus Severus may be a perfectly acceptable name in the wizard world. You honestly are being heartless for blaming the author for not making the book the way you wanted it to be written. i think that maybe you shouldnt bring the author's intellegence into the review next time.


message 39: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko THANK YOU TARA!!!!!! My friend and I were beginning to believe we were the only ones who thought this book was utter garbage. We also feel like it was rushed and JK lost all her creative juice by just trying to get the story done.

And the epilogue!!! Oh my god! Horrendous! You were definitely correct in saying it was as if a fangirl had written it. How unrealistic and cliche!

Thank you for sharing your opinions. Its hard because other fans get so upset when people say bad things about the 7th book, but it really wasn't that good. Simple as that.


message 40: by Henrwhitney1 (new)

Henrwhitney1 Philip wrote: "I can't believe I read your whole review. Now that was a waste of time."

I aggree, They totally did not get the whole point of the book. I sat through it cringing at all the points that he made that showed how much he did not get it.


message 41: by Devin (new)

Devin I didn't read the whole review, I stopped at the point where you claimed that you "knew" that Snape was in love with Lily (a comment which lost you a whole lot a believability in my eyes)

How on earth could have proclaimed to have *known* something almost completely untouched upon by JKR?'


silly.


message 42: by Matthew (new)

Matthew your review to long - so you fail


message 43: by Matthew (new)

Matthew lol btw snape...was inlove with lily


message 44: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was touched upon in the book that Snape was in love with Lily


message 45: by Tony (new)

Tony I totally agree w/ u They KILLED em not defeted him


message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I liked your review, however much I disagree with your opinion of the book. I found it interesting that you found H/Hr's relationship to make the most sense. For me their friendship has never translated into any sort of romance. There's never been any real romantic tension between them and while they work as friends they don't seem to compliment each other that well.
I also found it interesting that you found the books so predictable, and that it was common knowledge. I didn't make any of the guesses you did.
I also enjoyed the character development right through to the end.
As far as the parts of the book that didn't make sense, well, I don't think they spoiled the book from an enjoyment perspective. I'm kind of amazed that you think so poorly of it, though it's been really interesting to read your thoughts.


message 47: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko Just because JK Rowling is brilliant doesn't mean that everyone has to love all her work. I love the Harry Potter series loads but I was very disappointed with this as the ending. Doesn't mean JK still isn't brilliant


message 48: by Matthew (last edited May 03, 2010 06:11PM) (new)

Matthew She just wrote a popular story. I am not sure she was brilliant nothing was totally life altering and caused me to have a random enlightenment.


message 49: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko LOL!! Are you sure you weren't enlightened Matthew when Dumbledore ate an earwax flavored Bertie Botts bean? ;-) haha


message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Matthew wrote: "She just wrote a popular story. I am not sure she was brilliant nothing was totally life altering and caused me to have a random enlightenment."

It depends on your definition of brilliant. If you limit the word only to mean something that gives you a life altering experience then very little would be brilliant.
For me, brilliant encompasses things that I genuinely enjoy, characters I like and feel are real and carry a weight of their own, as well as imagination in plot and wit in story telling.
I think it's more than possible to feel passionate about a story that didn't change your life.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
back to top