Start by marking “The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2002” as Want to Read:
The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2002

The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2002 (Best American Science and Nature Writing #2002)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Since its inception in 1915, the Best American series has become the premier annual showcase for the country's finest short fiction and nonfiction. For each volume, a series editor reads pieces from hundreds of periodicals, then selects between fifty and a hundred outstanding works. That selection is pared down to the twenty or so very best pieces by a guest editor who is ...more
Published October 15th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2002, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2002

Sesh
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I came across this collection of science and nature writing out of serendipity and discovered some great essays. Since then I have bought every annual issue of the Best American Science and Nature writing.

The 2002 issue is still my most favorite of the lot. The most fascinating piece in this issue is by Burkhard Bilger, "Braised Shank of Free-Range Possum". Mr. Bilger travels the south in search of old-world delicacies such as the free-range possum of the title ("...that feral, faintly glandula
Ann
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
There's a great piece by Barbara Ehrenreich, the author of Nickled & Dimed, about her reaction to being diagnosed with breast cancer. I have to say I'd probably feel the same and can't quite view anything slathered in pink in the name of the cure in quite the same way.

Additionally I enjoyed this collection because I'm a nature nut! There are articles about birds getting confused flying around skyscrapers, people being hunted by mountain lions, & the effects of overfishing, just to name
Demian Katz
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm mysteriously drawn to random collections of essays, and I quite enjoyed this one -- in spite of being more than a decade old and dealing with science, it didn't feel unreasonably dated, it and covered a wide range of topics and styles. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more volumes of this series!
Ryan
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I got this for the Malcolm Gladwell article on Kaplan and the SAT - fascinating. I am in the anti-standardized testing camp - I see the potential value, but rarely see them used in that way. I like reading Gladwell's take on things - makes me think about them differently, even when I don't agree with him.
Ellen Johnson
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
quality and readability varied widely. some were passe by now (artificial intelligence), some I'd read (Ehrenreich on cancer, excellent), some topics have been so over done (Darwin).
Novem
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love this series. This is my favorite one so far.
Annemarie Solon
Mar 03, 2008
Bill Reitter
Jul 09, 2014
Chris M
Aug 06, 2014
Ana
May 14, 2015
Natalie Angier is a nonfiction writer and a science journalist for The New York Times.
More about Natalie Angier...

Best American Science and Nature Writing (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2000