Start by marking “The Dog Who Knew Too Much (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
The Dog Who Knew Too Much (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #4)

The Dog Who Knew Too Much

(Chet and Bernie Mystery #4)

Combining suspense and intrigue with a wonderfully humorous take on the link between man and beast, Spencer Quinn's exceptional mystery series has captured widespread praise since its New York Times bestselling debut, 'Dog on It'.

'The Dog Who Knew Too Much' marks the duo's triumphant return in a tale that's full of surprises.

Bernie is invited to give the keynote speech at
Published September 6th 2011 by Atria Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Knew Too Much, please sign up.

Ron
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: four-legs, humor, whodunit
This case didn't quite live up to the others before it, but let me tell you, I'll always be a Chet and Bernie fan. Hands down best part in this one: Chet and neighbor dog Iggy together in the neighbor's house = 60 seconds of utter mayhem.
Jim
These are solid 3 star mysteries, but so well narrated & told from Chet's (the dog) perspective that they're 4 star reads. His joy de vivre is infectious & so well done. His tail & barks have lives of their own, just sort of slip out occasionally, even though he & Bernie practice a lot to make sure it only happens appropriately. Well, what's a dog to do? Bernie's the best & that's the main thing. Everything about him is great, especially his smell.

The mystery in this case was
Choco
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in a Mystery series with Bernie the private detective and his partner, Chet the dog. What sets this apart from any other mystery series is it's written from Chet the dog's point of view. This series is all about Chet for me. He's so so so cute. He's loyal and brave, and it all comes from his love for Bernie. He ADORES Bernie! Bernie treats Chet as an equal and his partner, and you don't want to call Chet "just a dog" in front of him. Although we only see things through Ch ...more
Scott
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
well, this is interesting though I just realized this news two years late...

I interviewed this guy for his first two books in his Chet and Bernie series but at that point his real identity wasn't known yet. I'll be interviewing him in December by email about his two new books, one of which is the latest in the series (which has the fun angle of a dog as a narrator - his human companion is a private eyes so it's private detective work from the dog's perspective leading to fun word play like when
Book Concierge
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5***

Book four in the Chet and Bernie mystery series. Bernie is hired to be a “bodyguard” for a woman who fears her ex-husband, as she goes to Parents’ Weekend to visit her son at a remote mountain camp. But when they arrive, her ex is no where to be found, and neither is her son, who’s gone missing on an overnight hiking trip. Luckily, they brought Chet along, a great tracking dog (and the narrator of this series).

I love Chet the Jet! Quinn has managed to give him a personality that befits a
Lachinchon
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is my third Chet & Bernie read, so maybe the novelty is wearing off. I still love the dog's-point-of-view narration, which can be quite funny at times, but reading the same dog-think phrases over and over again from one book to the next eventually gets dull. I know, it's a dog, fer crissakes! I should expect Shakespearean erudition? The mystery this time seemed only half-baked, and all three books followed exactly the same pattern:
1. Bernie is hired for an innocuous job.
2. Seemingly per
Barbara
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it

Bernie Little and his hundred-plus pound dog Chet run the 'Little Detective Agency', somewhere in the western United States (this story seems to be set in Colorado). The series is narrated by Chet, whose somewhat limited vocabulary, unfamiliarity with idioms, and doggie logic set the stage for plenty of smiles. Bernie is a West Point graduate, good at his job, and Chet is his invaluable partner, always ready to clamp his jaw on perps and drag them off by the pants.

In this book Anya Vereen hires
Foxthyme
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Chet is my absolutely most favourite dog detective. Each book he gets almost slightly better at putting together and remembering complex thoughts, until he gets distracted by dog things such as bacon, other dogs, treats, mentions of bacon.

When he has those epiphanous near-complex thought moments, I'm, like, dog savant...oh, so close.

But Chet isn't working on his own here. Bernie is the human part of the successful Chet and Bernie team. Each has their skills. And just like Harry Dresden, in eac
Teddy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's something about Chet, Private Eye Bernie's dog, that is so appealing, sweet, and lovable, that you just want to eat him up. He narrates this story, as every story in this series, with a straightforward, often hilariously literal, view of the world that is undeniably accurate. Reading these books puts me in the safe, comfortable, happy place that I simply want to be in - in between taxing my mind with more convoluted reads & digesting stressful current events. The best tonic for what ...more
Brin Murray
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the pov being from the dog - all those yummy and not so yummy smells - and now he's a bit distracted because he can sense there's bacon cooking somewhere or maybe it's that burger joint round the corner, so the reader isn't quite sure what was said in that conversation (though as it turns out, mostly we just miss the boring bits: a handy device to cut down on waffle).
Chet is a lovely narrator, humorous and distinctively voiced. Two things I thought worked especially well: the way he love
Ms.pegasus
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a light mystery; dog-lovers
Shelves: fiction, mystery
In this 4th book of the Chet and Bernie series, a simple bodyguard gig quickly morphs into a missing person case and ...(yep!) murder. In case you are unfamiliar with the series, Chet is the canine “partner” and Bernie the human half of the Bernie Little Detective Agency. Perpetually low on cash, Bernie Little reluctantly agrees to accept a job as body-guard, to protect lovely, somewhat dim, Anya Vereen from her ex-husband. She is to drive to Big Bear Wilderness Camp to visit her son Devin. Ther ...more
P.M.
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a dog! Chet is back for his next adventure, ably assisting Bernie Little to crack a missing child case, his favorite, while shutting down a corrupt blackmailing operation and meth lab. Our intrepid duo is hired to accompany a divorcee who is visiting her son at camp and doesn't want a confrontation with her ex. Lo and behold! When they get there, the kid is missing and Bernie's brain and Chet's nose come into play. When a crucial witness is murdered, Bernie is framed by the crooked sheriff ...more
Paul Pessolano
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
“The Dog Who Knew Too Much” by Spencer Quinn, published by Atria Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

This is the fourth installment in the Chet and Bernie series and it fits in beautifully with the other three books.

I you have not read this series the story is told from Chet’s perspective. Chet is the dog and it is quite refreshing to have a story that sees us humans from another view. It can be funny and confusing at times, at least from Chet’s vantage point.

Bernie is a private eye, a good private
UKDana
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Bernie and Chet are partners in a private detective agency. The difference with this partnership is that Chet is a dog. Chet narrates our story, the fourth in the Chet & Bernie series.

Chet is a fantastic narrator. He’s a failed police K9 dog and he adores Bernie, frequently referring to things Bernie has said in the past. He takes things very literally at times, “keep your eyes peeled” and “keep your eye on the ball” being typical examples that have Chet puzzling. He can also go off at a com

Dale
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chet and Bernie are private detectives. Well, Bernie is a private detective. Chet is his dog - a police dog (almost!) that failed to make it all of the way through his training. The story is told completely told from the perspective of Chet, the dog who pretty much understands human society, at least enough to tell the story. What he does know for sure is that he and Bernie are inseparable partners and they always have each others' back.

In The Dog Who Knew Too Much Bernie is hard up for money
Ray
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Dog Who Knew Too Much" is the fourth of Spencer Quinn's series about private-eye Bernie Little and his faithful canine Chet. These books are entertaining, since the narrative is told through the eyes of Chet, the dog. Most of us have probably wondered at one time or another what our pet dog might be thinking in certain circumstances. Quinn light-heartedly answers that question in his books.
Chet had failed out of police K9 school before Bernie adopted him. So Chet has the makings of a fine
Quillracer
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series continues to grow on me. Telling the story from the dog’s point of view keeps it fresh and entertaining.

Quinn avoids the mistake of portraying Chet as a super-intelligent, human-thinking dog by having him tell this tale (and other in the series) in a somewhat rambling narrative full of minor asides, distractions, and repetitions. Reviewers of other books in this series have called this repetition annoying, but it just proves Quinn has doggie thought processes down pat. Chet ‘reads’ h
Kay Dee
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointed in this one. it was like he took elements from his previous 3 novels and just rearranged them for this one. he phoned it in. i hope number 5 in the series is not like this. i mean i can understand a pattern forming and rehashing old ideas on say number 10 in a series (most authors do this) but not in number 4. book number 4 by an author should still have fresh ideas,if not they need to hang it up.

like previous books- bernie and chet are separated and basically kidnapped, a kid is he
Yvonne
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chet isn't a cat, but I love this series. Chet isn't a talking dog, but this book is told through his point of view. We know everything he's thinking and it makes me laugh when he gets distracted in his storytelling by food. He does love his food! LOL

The story itself almost takes a backseat for me. I just love hearing about Chet's devotion for his "partner" Bernie and vice versa. Chet has amazing hero worship for his human.

I have to admit, whenever Chet is separated from Bernie, I get incredibly
TKT
Dec 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Usually I read more than a free pages before I buy a book but unfortunately I didn't even open this book before paying. If I had, I would not have bought it as I would have realized I had tried reading one of this author's other books and heartily dislikes his use of the dog as a narrator. Seems lazy and is annoying to be reading a person's voice in a dog - the author's way to insert himself without having to flesh out another character? I use the library now; disappointment is much cheaper that ...more
Jackie
Chet and Bernie are back in action in the series' fourth book, this time they've accepted a lucrative bodyguarding gig that turns into the hunt for a missing little boy. Add in a shady fellow trying to steal Chet and a much enhanced roll by the erstwhile reporter and girlfriend Suzy and you have yet another rollicking ride with The Little Detective Agency. Then there's the question of a puppy from across the valley that looks like a perfect miniature version of Chet.... Another fun adventure fro ...more
Penny
May 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved Quinn's first 2 books; I flew through these with anticipation, grins, and ultimate satisfaction that all was right with the world. In this one, I started flying as usual, but about a third of the way through, l lost an engine, and I had to fight to keep turning the pages. Eventually, a wing was too badly damaged -- I lost interest and the book went down. On the table. I was sad.
Bettie☯
audio g drive

Newtome author, and I'm diving in at #4 - hope that won't matter too much.

It was okay, so I'll use the GR(rr)amazon guide for star awarding and give it a 2* with the subtext 'I'm blowed if I will read anymore of these.'

#90 TBR Busting 2013
Cathy
As usual, it was the perfect mix of serious mystery and absolutely charming humor. Having the story told from Chet's perspective doesn't make this a cozy mystery, the tale isn't light, but the little flashes of lightness are welcome breaks in the tension of the more serious story, making the book perfectly well-balanced and a joy to read.
Deborah Locke
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let’s face it, these books are not deep. However, I am in love with Chet! The mysteries are clever in spite of these being pretty light reading. I love this series. I just wish Bernie would pay a little more attention to Chet. He’d stay out of a lot of trouble that way.
Jill Allison
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I always enjoy a Chet and Bernie mystery, but I didn't think this one was as well written as the previous two.
Monica
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
3rd book in, think i'm done w/ this dog narrator. kind of fun the first time, kind of ok the 2nd time, this time, kind of tiresome
Libbi
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
meh. I didn't hate the book but I didn't enjoy the writing style. Chet was repetitive and not in a cute way.
Kent Woodger
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chet, Bernie, and Susie combine to solve mystery
Cindy
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I read the previous book in this series, so it took me a while to get back into the voice of Chet. Once I did, it was an enjoyable read.
  • New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
  • A Dog About Town
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery, #1)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Roam: A Novel with Music
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
Spencer Quinn lives on Cape Cod with his dog Audrey, and is hard at work on the next Chet and Bernie adventure.

Spencer Quinn is a pseudonym of author Peter Abrahams.

Series:
* A Chet and Bernie Mystery

Chet and Bernie Mystery (9 books)
  • Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #1)
  • Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2)
  • To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #3)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)
  • The Sound and the Furry (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #6)
  • Paw and Order (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #7)
  • Scents and Sensibility (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #8)
  • Heart of Barkness (Chet and Bernie Mystery #9)