Start by marking “Bear Wants More” as Want to Read:

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  6,123 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
When springtime comes,

in his warm winter den

a bear wakes up

very hungry and thin!..."

Bear finds some roots to eat, but that's not enough. He wants more! With his friends' help, he finds some berries, clover, and fish to eat, but that's not enough. Bear wants more!

How Bear's friends help him to finally satisfy his HUGE hunger in a most surprising way will enchant y

Published January 1st 2003 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Bear Wants More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Wants More

Matt
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
After a period of hibernation, Bear is ready to chow down on some good food. He goes in search of anything that might pique his appetite, finding many wonderful things. Meanwhile, some of his friends throw him a party with even more wonderful things to eat. Trouble is, when Bear begins his feasting, he goes from rail thin to quite pudgy and cannot fit into his den any longer. In the end, the party’s outside, where Bear is able to eat to his heart’s content... but his friends are still hungry. Ne ...more
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
- Why was bear sleeping? (hibernating through the winter)
-Why is bear hungry and thin?
- Can you show me waddling? (person of the day)
-Can you show me digging? (person of the day)
- Can you pretend you are a bear or a dog or a cat and show me your paws? (Are pays hands of a person or animal?)
- Is nibbling big bites or little bites?
-Is bear still hungry?
-Is scampering big steps or little steps? (Can you show me scampering, one kid)
-Where are bear and mouse going? (to get strawberries)
-What do they
Kathryn
Very cute, fun rhyming story about Bear, who has awakened from his winter slumbers quite hungry and thin. His forest friends help lead him to food but after every meal "bear wants MORE!" There's a cute surprise ending. I really love Karma Wilson's work, she has such an effortless rhyme scheme and Champan's illustrations are just adorable. I have enjoyed all the bear books so far.

The only thing I wasn't wild about was bear eating the fish--I was glad that the initial illustration when he caught t
Amar Pai
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Ho hum. Glib, slick and forgettable. Anybody can write a children's book-- the bar is SO low.

These books always gloss over the difficulties of a bear being friends with mice, birds, etc. yet ravenously devouring any fish it sees. Why don't the fish's feelings count? Are fish like the carrots of the sea?

Also I hate when kids books rhyme, but without any sense of meter. It's like they don't understand the concept! They should go back and read Dr. Seuss; he actually took the time to do it right.
Charlie George
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Nice rhyming and cadence, the way I think a children's book should read. It skips along like Dr. Seuss, but isn't so silly and feels more modern and worthwhile.
Mary
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So much fun! Bear. Wants. MORE!
Danielle Mootz
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Beautiful illustrations
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Shelves: childrens, 2007
Our girls love the Bear books by Karma Wilson. They are great stories to read aloud, rhyming, sing-song narrative with colorful and fun illustrations. We've read most of her books over and over and over! Our girls really like them and so do I!

December 2015 update: Having introduced our niece to Bear with Bear Snores On in the last year or so, I was excited to show her some of the other tales. We read Bear Stays Up for Christmas since it was almost Christmas, and we found this tale in a board boo
Candice
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorite author/illustrator teams has done it again! Another Bear book with happy, clever rhymes and endearing illustrations. Bear wakes up from his winter nap, and he is famished! His animal friends show him where to find food, but it's never enough, and thus the refrain "the bear wants more" is repeated over and over - just enough for toddlers to know what's coming next. A fun book that will lead to conversations about how some animals hibernate while others do not. Also, if you look ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is almost too adorable; it really has to be read to young children so that adults can appreciate the story too. The bear has the most innocent facial expression and manner. The rhyming and repetitive story is great for picture book age children and the illustrations convey a lushness I liked, and I thought the bear was painted well, but I wasn’t so wild about some of the other animals’ appearances.
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • Leaves
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • Hop Jump
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bear Snores On