Start by marking “Snowflake Obsidian: Memoir of a Cutter” as Want to Read:
Snowflake Obsidian: Memoir of a Cutter

Snowflake Obsidian: Memoir of a Cutter

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Willow is nineteen, naive, and Mormon. She genuinely sucks at having relationships with the opposite sex, thanks to her daddy issues-as in she has a dad and wishes she didn't. Her only perfect relationship is with her best friend, Jo. But when Willow and Jo fall for the same guy, Willow finds herself friendless and falling in love with a drug addict. Feeling confused, guil ...more
Published December 15th 2010 by iUniverse.com

To ask other readers questions about Snowflake Obsidian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowflake Obsidian

Heavensent1
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Snowflake Obsidian: Memoir of a Cutter is a true story account of one young ladies need to feel!

Willow is a Mormon, who loves to paint and has great friends around her. However, she is unsatisfied with the direction her life is headed. Her best friend continues to steal her boyfriends from her, her father is a tenacious SOB, his words, not mine and her mother just goes with the flow and is Willow's one source of unconventional love.

Willow has a great group of friends, who love and cherish her, s
Cheryl
Snowflake Obsidian really deals with a tough issue: depression and cutting. I think that is why it was a little hard for me at times to read this book. It did take courage for her though to write about her life and tell the world and I give her a lot of credit for that.

Willow doesn't have the perfect life. Her father yells at her so much. He was in the Vietnam war, so maybe that is why he is so disconnected with her. It seems like the only thing he loves is the TV. She tries to tell him that she
Derek Donais
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then, a book comes along that really grabs you and refuses to let go until you’ve turned the last page. It is the type of book that leaves an indelible mark; in some meaningful way, deep within, you feel that you’ve been given something special. Whether it’s immediately apparent or occurs to you at a later time—like a welcome sense of déjà vu—you know that touch has added to your essential self.

About two years ago, I read the first few chapters of Snowflake Obsidian, by Kirsten Sag
Britni
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Snowflake Obsidian is the memoir of a college-aged Mormon girl named Willow who lives her life how she wants to live it. In true hippie style, she's free-spirited and happy. Until she meets River, the boy of her dreams who changes all of that. Life is glorious with River until he turns to drugs and finds happiness in the beauty that drugs bring rather than the true beauty of life that he discovered with Willow.

When Willow loses River, her life takes a turn for the worse; she's no longer the free
Freda Mans-Labianca
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Funny, heart-wrenching, real, these are all words that stick in my mind after reading this memoir.
The hippie has a unique way of writing, using a humorous approach to tackle tough subjects like self-mutilation and relationships.
Yes, the author is a cutter. Not a story I have read much about, and yet I have a healthy curiosity in regards to it and what makes a cutter, cut. I now feel like I have an understanding of why and what, and I am glad to have that knowledge now.
Sensitive subject, yes, but
Jamie
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - it was a very honest look into the life of a cutter, and her journey toward finding peace and healing. I hope that anyone who has ever cut or who currently is stumbles across this book. Hippie offers a light to grab into in the darkness of depression by providing a fresh way to look at things, and an option for how to begin taking those first steps toward healing.
Megster
Jan 18, 2012 marked it as to-read
I have severe MDD (major depressive disorder) and I am definitely no stranger to self injury, I am interested in seeing how the subject is handled.
Katie Blythe
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*

Willow’s life seems pretty good. She has great friends, she’s a great painter, she has a wonderful mother who she can just cling to whenever she needs to (even though she’s a bit flaky in other aspects), a bit of a distant father (who her mom says after the war he was a bit messed up and closed off more), and a “best friend” Jo who they can share anything with. However, Jo takes it to a more literal stand point and any tim
Jane Doe
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-story, zz2013
Robyn
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly funny memoir of a 20-something female cutter. Willow is a seemingly normal young adult on the outside. She was popular in high school, has lots of guy friends and a "best friend" who always manages to steal all her boyfriends, or date them once she's confided in liking them. We've all had that annoying friend. Her father is a ex-military veteran who is closed off from his family and the world. Her brother, his wife and dog have just moved back home, and the world around her is slowl ...more
Tara
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book made me really think about a lot of things. I went through so many emotions & Feelings that were described in this book. I wish I had it way back when. Even though I KNOW I am not alone in what i felt & feeling that I was the only one in the world that felt the way i did, it is helpful to read someone else's experience. Even though I didn't turn into a cutter, I did do it 1x. I have 2 scars from that time still. It's a reminder of a very bad time in my life.

Rebecca McNutt
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Most books dramatize the issue of cutting and try to make it into a love story or a journey through self-pity. Snowflake Obsidian is different; it takes the reader traveling through a series of various events and though it was difficult to read at times because of its disturbing content, it was an eye-opening and well-written book.
Rachelle
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Witty, sassy, fast-paced conversation and fun stories. Difficult emotions expressed in ways that will feel relatable & refreshing to many readers. I loved the "dear diary, I love myself..." entries. Brave & poetic! Thank you for sharing this Angry Hippie!
Bonnie Manning
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book. One moment i'm laughing because of Willows fail at making key lime pie, and the next i'm crying because of April's unfortunate event. I love this book and think all the characters were written amazingly! <3
Danie Cutter
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars. A heartfelt account of learning to like yourself. This book wallows and soars at just the right time and pitch and for once I'm not against the all American need for a happy ending. In this instance it simply seems hopeful.
Kathleen
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love It!
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
Review coming soon :)
Val
Oct 25, 2011 marked it as to-read
This could be interesting or it could suck. I'm going to see if the library has it.
Naberius
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting book, although it didn't quite resonate fully for me. Full review: http://fluidityoftime.blogspot.com/20...
Emily Harmon
Zehra
Aug 24, 2013
Lauren T. Hart
Aug 14, 2015
  • The Gift (In Darkness We Must Abide, #4)
  • Elemental Magic (Elemental Magic, #1)
  • Dylan's Nam
  • Stay Close: A Mother's Story of Her Son's Addiction
  • Fire in the Night (Lancaster Burning, #1)
  • All's Fair in Blog and War
  • Tell Me When I'm Dead (Tell Me When I'm Dead #1)
  • An Uncommon Friendship: a memoir of love, mental illness, and friendship
  • The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales
  • Slave Hunter: One Man's Global Quest to Free Victims of Human Trafficking
  • You Don't Look Sick!: Living Well with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • Club Sandwich
  • Pretty Is as Pretty Does (Class Reunion Series #1)
  • Losing the Ice (Ice #2)
  • The Character
  • Welcome, Silence
  • Strong at the Broken Places: Voices of Illness, A Chorus of Hope
  • The Slave Next Door: Human Trafficking and Slavery in America Today
The Hippie is an unfortunate nickname that Sage, (A.K.A. Willow), received one day whilst being herself. It is one of many nicknames she has received over the years, including, but not limited to: Fons, Special, Mudd Queen, Sensei, and Megan. To her family she is better known as Kirsten, K-dogg, and Big K.

She graduated with a Master’s in Social Work in 2007 and worked as a Licensed Mental Health T
More about The Hippie...

“I’ve noticed in my life that the people who act as my angels are not some strange angelic creatures that seem almost untouchable, but are more real than that. They are people who have tasted sorrow, who have felt pain, and in a way, that makes them capable of being an angel. In their darkest moments they have become strong.” 67 likes
“It wasn’t that everything was going my way, but I began to believe that the way it was going was perfect. I accepted that where I was in life, was exactly where I was supposed to be.” 59 likes