Start by marking “Snowbound With Betsy” as Want to Read:
Snowbound With Betsy

Snowbound With Betsy (Betsy #9)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  251 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The week before Christmas, a terrific snowstorm hits, and Betsy, Star, and their parents are snowbound, much to the girls' delight. There are snowmen to be built, Christmas presents to be made, and a tree to be decorated.
Published November 1st 1989 by Bantam Doubleday Dell Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Snowbound With Betsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowbound With Betsy

Susann
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Best read with ginger cookies. No popcorn, please.

Last read: 06-09-2005
Sue
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-children
This was my favorite of Haywood's "Betsy" books.
Donna
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a quick comforting read from childhood, that still offers comfort despite spelling errors ie "cooky" for cookie and errors in the narrative ( perhaps children's novels in the 1960s were not scrupulously edited ? ) in any case re-reading it did bring back a good feeling.
Karen Gibson
I thought I remembered this from my childhood. Now I'm not sure. My how the quality of children's books has improved over the years.
Steph
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this in a Goodwill with a very vintage cover and yellowed pages and had to pick it up for our trip to Antarctica. While on the adventure, I read this and it was absolutely adorable and awesome timing to be reading such a story. I will say that it's very different from books that kids request nowadays or any that I have recently purchased for my school libraries but it had a very nice innocence and simplicity to it. I laughed when it suddenly just ended without a twist or action. Cute sto ...more
Andrea
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been looking for these books everywhere and I am so glad to have finally found them! While my friends in elementary school were always checking out the more "popular" books in the library, I found myself coming back to this series again and again. I'm pretty sure I read every book in the series at least twice! I'm a little perturbed to discover that they've been re-released with a more modern cover, because I actually prefer the vintage look. Brings back so many memories and should I stum ...more
carrietracy
While not strictly a Christmas book, Snowbound with Betsy takes place in the days leading up to Christmas as Betsy, her family and some strangers her father has collected along the highway all hunker down amidst the snowdrifts. Quaint and old-fashioned to the extreme, it's what most people mean when they talk about the "good old days".
Missy
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, old-fashioned book. A blizzard brings two families together and four children become quick friends. They find ways to entertain themselves by making homemade Christmas presents, playing out in the snow and visiting friends and neighbors. On the other hand, there was not much meat to the story, no deep plots or conflicts. Just a light, simple cheerful read.
Esther May
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You cannot go wrong with a Betsy book. They are all wonderful. This one is especially good to read around Christmas or during a snowstorm. Betsy is such a sweet, kind, thoughtful girl. I love her stories.
Frances
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a hundred times while in 3rd grade and I loved it. For some reason I lost this book and I have always thought about it...it looks like a re-edition was printed so I am hoping to own this once again!
Evelyn Saenz
I love all of Carolyn Haywood's books for young children. They are wonderful read alouds but this one is especially nice because it shows what children can do when given time and space to use their own imaginations to make up games and entertain themselves in creative, hands-on ways.

Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
My absolute favorite Betsy book! I remember my mom reading it to me when I was little, and now I've read it to my children several times. Our favorite part is the popcorn incident.
Alan
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for reading to a four-year old.
Casertalaura
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love reading this series with Annie!!
Jeff Brockman
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my Favorite books as a kid..
Lori
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite childhood books.
Caleb
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Liked snowbound with betsy there was A Blizzard
Heather
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to read this book before the start of every snowstorm. I get pulled in year after year into the peacefulness of Betsy's Blizzard.
Beth
Rebecca
Jun 04, 2008
Michelle
Mar 20, 2008
  • The Mystery of the Runaway Ghost (The Boxcar Children, #98)
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • Edith and Mr. Bear
  • Dove Isabeau
  • The Littles And The Lost Children
  • Oddly Normal
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
  • The Year of Jubilo
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • George Washington's Breakfast
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • Pony in a Package (Animal Ark: Holiday Special, #5)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • The Mystery on Cobbett's Island
  • The House Without a Christmas Tree
  • Jenny Goes to Sea

Betsy (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • Betsy and Billy
  • Back to School with Betsy
  • Betsy and the Boys
  • Betsy's Little Star
  • Betsy and the Circus (Betsy, #6)
  • Betsy's Busy Summer (Betsy, #7)
  • Betsy's Winterhouse