Start by marking “Thief!” as Want to Read:
Thief!

Thief!

You're the new girl in school. You're just trying to fit in - and it's not working. Then someone accuses you of theft, and you think things can't get any worse. Until you get caught in a freak storm . . .

The next thing you know, you're in the future. Being shot at for being out after curfew. You don't even recognise your hometown. And you're heading for a confrontation fro
Published February 5th 2004 by Corgi Childrens (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Thief!, please sign up.
Tanya no because as Lydia will be trying to change the past so the future is gonna be good. So in the book they think she has stole a sports cup but she did…moreno because as Lydia will be trying to change the past so the future is gonna be good. So in the book they think she has stole a sports cup but she did not and she wants to change the past so they don't chant thief at here in the future .(less)

Mel (who is deeply in love with herself)
This is a short review for one of my favourite childhood books.

This is one of the rare books which my WHOLE FAMILY has read. Literally. Even my little brother, who detests books. Just to put the amazingness of this book into perspective, my family consists of eight people. My older brother was the first to read this book, and once he had gotten over the shock of its awesomeness, he forced recommended me to read it as well. Which I did, finally. And *I* loved it as well. Which led me to force rec
Jo
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's sad that I forgot this book existed until Tinie Tempah and his rap skillz reminded me of the wonderful Malorie Blackman because I remember absolutely loving it when I read it in primary school (think it was about Year Five).

It was so long ago that I read it and I can't remember the details to write a full review (I was about ten, give me a break!) but I remember the world that Blackman created terrified the crap out of me.

I hope one day I'll go back and read it along with Noughts & Cro
16quinnh
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was quite an easy read and I didn't enjoy it as much as the author's other books, I would recommend it for a year 6 student. I felt the storyline was very good and much different to Malorie Blackman's other books. It's got an action and futuristic storyline involving changing the future and taking action which is something I wouldn't usually go for, but it was delivered quite well.
16AppadooO
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was quite short and a very easy read. The storyline was a little bit weird and although it was really straightforward I just found it a bit strange. I would say this book is more suited for a younger person, yr 6 maybe. I really liked a couple if this authors books but the rest I haven’t really been a fan of. Overall I wouldn’t recommend.
Katherine
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so good to finally complete this book.
I remember reading it as a kid but I never finished it for some reason. It was definitely an enjoyable read!
Saadia Munshi
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A young girl called Lydia moves to a new town with her family, has to attend a new school and make new friends. she wishes to make friends with a group of girls, however in order for her to join she needs to steal the school cup. Lydia is hesitant at doing this but when the headmaster finds out the cup has been stolen, they do a check in pupils lockers and find the cup in Lydia's locker. She denies taking the cup but no one will believe her except her little brother. She has a rough couple of da ...more
Laura Dowsett
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I chose this book as a step out of my comfort zone- I rarely read any sci fi related books- but I was pleasantly suprised.

'Thief!' centres around a character named Lydia who is labelled as a thief by a bully at her school. Lydia tries to escape the bullying and retreats to the moors near her home. Whilst walking through the moors Lydia is transported to the future and is met with a much changed, cruel world ruled by a familiar tyrant. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll stop there!

Malo
Alison
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
12 year old Lydia Henson and family have just moved from London to the Yorkshire town of Tarwich, and Lydia is finding it hard to fit into her new school. In order to join the gang of popular girls, Lydia is dared to steal the school sport's cup, but is disturbed by the caretaker. However, the cup goes missing and turns up in Lydia's locker. Then she is accused of causing a serious accident. Lydia runs away and is caught in a storm.
She is mysteriously transported to a dystopian future version o
Sarap
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lydia a new girl at school has been accused of stealing from the school. In reality she is a victim of bullying-but only her brother really believes she didn't steal. The bullying gets to a point where Lydia decides she needs to get away...only to collapse and wake up in a completely new world... Lydia soon realsises she is in the future and it is up to her to put things right!

This is an exciting book which allows the reader to imagine the future and the advance in technology. This book did have
Manuella Ghezzi
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Laura Heaphy
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
5/5 for Kids
3/5 for Adults

This book was good but it was definitely aimed at the younger end of the YA genre.
It was well written, as is all books by Malorie Blackman, but it felt more like a short story.
I think for kids it was brilliant, but it is the first book i have read that i actually think i was too old to read.
Lorne
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book itself wasn't that bad and I didn't have too many problems with it, my only problem is that when I read this book I wanted to branch out more into the YA (young adult) fiction genre. This story is aimed to be a children story but nonetheless I enjoyed it. If I was younger I think I would've liked it more.
Jennifer Spiers
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really didn't enjoy this book. I'm not sure if it's because it's not aged particularly well, but I felt the pace was way too slow. The introduction takes up nearly half the book, and the incidents it describes in terms of bullying are pretty mild. I don't think it would hold enough interest to read this as a class book.
Bilal Hussain
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just amazing
Izzy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was such a good book.
Irini
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very underrated yet amazing. I read this when I was in year 6 like 8 times,, that basically shows that this book is marvellous. Definitely recommended.

-irini
16avvintil
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book because they went into an alternate future and was really interesting
Sazza Ricks
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my absolute favourite childhood books. I remember doing my own version of it when I was young, that's how much it inspired me xx

Mariami
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author has such amazing books! I’m glad in school I’m in the group Blackman for reading
Camilla Betty
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an old favourite of mine from school, I must have loaned this from the library 5 or 6 times over my school life, so it was great to read it once again after almost a 10 year break!
This is a sci-fi, adventure story, which flits between the present and the future. Lydia Henson is trying to adjust to life with her parents and brother Danny, in a new town and a new school, unfortunately she thinks this means undertaking the stealing of the sports cup from the school’s cupboard. Luckily she t
Emerest
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
“Theif!” is an interesting short novel. In it, the protagonist, Lydia, is accused of being a thief. She escapes onto the moor, where she is taken forward in time, into a world ruled by a tyrant. Lydia discovers that it is her brother and her future self who are at the tyrants. This book talks about the unexpected ramifications of actions and how hatred can consume a person. It also covers how peer pressure can be a large factor in life.

A theme in the book is how hatred can consume a person until
Natasha Mairs
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, teens
I first read this over 15 years ago when I was about 12. It was my favourite book back then and when I saw it again on ebay I had to buy it.

Lydia Henson has just moved to a new town with her mum, dad and younger brother Daniel. She is trying to fit in with the 'in crowd' but the leader of the group wants Lydia to steal the school's sport trophy, to prove that she is worthy. Lydia thinks about this and even touches the trophy, but comes to her senses and changes her mind. But at school the next
Amy
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
3 and a half stars

I reviewed this on my blog as part of Malorie Blackman month- during March 2013 reviews are of books by her- click here for them all- you can see the GIF's that aren't included in the review there!

Ideally there would have been a twist earlier than 80% of the way through but for some reason I was hooked before that. The rest was less unpredictable unfortunately- I had a sense of Deja Vu (just because this isn't the start of my Dystopian journey at all) with some of the dystopian
Simon Aldous
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
After hearing that Malorie Blackman had been made the latest Children's Laureate, I thought I better become familiar with her work. Thief! is a very readable, pacey book, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
It tells the story of Lydia Henson, who has moved with her family from London to a town in Yorkshire. She is keen to make friends and fit in, but after a stolen school trophy is found in her locker, she becomes a pariah within the school. She is particularly upset by the failure of her new friend Fran
Chris
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first thought on reading it was how much it felt to me like an adaptation of a BBC TV Series. Not only does the dystopian future feel very British, it makes use of a small number of sets that can be re-purposed for the future and past, a very standard countryside town and a number of characters who "look similar" to others. I could easily see this sitting nowadays comfortably besides The Spacticle Mystery, Wolfblood and Wizards Vs. Aliens on CBBC.

It skips along at a fair pace but I wish it ha
Marianne Shorten
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Thief" is a highly imaginative futuristic sci-fi, based on the adventures of Lydia who moves to a new town and a new school. In a bid to fit in she considers stealing a trophy from the school but changes her mind at the last minute. However, she is framed by a girl in her class. Following a series of misfortunes Lydia resolves to run away, but winds up in a dystopian town of the future, governed by a tyrannical overlord who instructs soldiers to shoot at children who break curfew.

Suitable as a
Sally Flint
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-reads
I didn't think this had the appeal of the Noughts and Crosses trilogy, perhaps because it was really hard to take as seriously the addressing of social issues in a futuristic world, where a rain storm moves the main character, 12 year old Lydia, into the future 40 odd years. It was difficult whether to focus on the main issues, of bullying and the wrong accusation of theft, or whether to concentrate on how much society had changed with the introduction of night guards with frightening stun guns, ...more
Isabella Robinson
Rating: 5 stars

Thief! by Malorie Blackman is a novel based around twelve year old Lydia Henson struggling to adjust to her new school and home in Tarwich, Yorkshire in November of 1995. After being wrongly accused of stealing the best all-rounder’s sports cup from her school, Lydia is mocked and teased relentlessly by her peers, causing her to run away to the moors to escape the torment. Whilst wandering the grassy moors, Lydia finds herself in the middle of a bizarre electrical storm, which thr
Lucy
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-teen, dystopian
I re-read this book after finding it at the back of a cupboard: it appears that I enjoyed it so much as a ten year old that I stole it from my school library when I left. The things I did for a good read...

This book was the origin of my fascination with dystopian fiction: I was intrigued by its '1984' style details such as the enforced television broadcasts, and of course the colour-changing mood-reading wallpaper. The twist at the end is nicely done and comes with a free moral, and I'd like to
Molly Habbershaw
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book Thief. It's not normally the sort of book I would read but now Malorie Blackman is one of my favorite authors. It's extremely interesting and tense. There is not one part in the book that I dislike. I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to read a fantasy/crime or just a good book. Also, it's really easy to get into- which is a big bonus!

The only reason why I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 is because it was hard to understand some parts of the book and what was go
« previous 1 3 next »

• Saving Daisy
  • We Can Be Heroes
  • The Colour of the Sun
  • Wolf Story
  • The Knife That Killed Me
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • When I Was Joe (When I Was Joe, #1)
  • Evolution (Dark Matter #3)
  • The Guardian of Isis (Isis, #2)
  • Arthur High King of Britain
  • Galactic Warlord (Last Legionary, #1)
  • An Act of Love
  • Flying High (Angels Unlimited, #3)
  • (Un)arranged Marriage
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • The Charioteer of Delphi (Roman Mysteries, #12)
  • The Arrow Over the Door
An award-winning children's author, Malorie Blackman was honoured with an OBE in 2008. Her work has been adapted for TV and stage.

More information available at: