Start by marking “Radio Waves: Life and Revolution on the Fm Dial” as Want to Read:
Radio Waves: Life and Revolution on the Fm Dial

Radio Waves: Life and Revolution on the Fm Dial

An explosive, unforgettable look at the FM radio business through the eyes of one of its most colorful and idealistic personalities. Ladd follows the birth, blazing success, and tragic demise of FM free-form radio.
Published May 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Radio Waves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radio Waves

Ain't No Grave by Macel Ely IIThe War of the Worlds by H.G. WellsAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony DoerrLake Wobegon Days by Garrison KeillorWe Interrupt This Broadcast by Joe Garner
Radio Days
107 books — 22 voters
All the President's Men by Carl BernsteinThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsThe Best and the Brightest by David HalberstamThe Perfect Storm by Sebastian JungerBlack Like Me by John Howard Griffin
Books by Journalists
403 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Marcia
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book explains why KMET was my radio station of choice, why I eventually drifted away from it, and why broadcast radio today is completely soulless. Jim Ladd, man, the number of times I listened to him talk and thought he was so right on with his observations. Loved his commentary so much, spoke directly to those of us who let our freak flag fly. Not to mention the music, oh, the music! I am so thankful I was able to experience FM radio at its absolute best in the late '70's. Jim Ladd: best ...more
Bud
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ah, the good old days of free-form FM rock and roll stations. Jim Ladd, who I used to listen to in my younger years in LA, spins a tale that saddens those of us who were able to experience radio when it was good, when a musically knowledgeable and adventurous DJ could take us on journeys that could change your mood, change your day or change your life. Long live rock and roll and may the spirit of free form rock and roll radio live on (though probably only on satellite radio these days).
Chris
Jul 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I gobbled this book up in two days. Jim Ladd was Tom Petty's inspiration for the album, "The Last DJ," and this is the chronicle of Ladd's glory days during the formative years of the LA FM underground. I listened to that music a lot, so this book had a lot of personal resonance for me.
Mark
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I grew up in the Hollywood/Los Angeles area so Jim's stories brought back memories. Not all but many of the on-air shows described in the book I heard live. It brought back fond memories.
David
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book might also be subtitled: "The Decline and Fall of Free-Form FM Radio". Though Ladd gives a good summary of the beginning of Free-Form FM Radio, the second half of his memories from KMET are a roadmap for how to commodify something that defies commodification. It's a tragedy, yet a love story. Jim Ladd is now on SiriusXM satellite radio doing what he loves with seemingly no limits. Perhaps the day will come when he writes a sequel.
Will George
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great first-hand account of the days of free form FM radio from one of the masters of the art. It made me remember how much I wanted to be a DJ when I was a teenager. But by the time I was old enough to try, radio had become a soulless formula, with very few live DJs. I wish there had been a final chapter on what happened to the various DJs and characters in the book after KMET imploded.
Stormweed
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this book...not only did I get a lot of laughs out of it, it also reminded me of the glory days of pirate radio....you won't find anything else like it. If you want to know what it was like working at a FM station back in the late 60s - early 70s......this is a must-read!
Paul
Jun 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Possibly the worst book about rock music I've ever read.
Phil
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jim chronicles the SPECIAL time in L.A. Radio...
Bret B
Nov 17, 2016
Amy
Nov 07, 2012
Alex Nesturrick
Excellent read, thanks Trey!
Andy Langsdorf