Start by marking “Mad Science in Imperial City” as Want to Read:
Mad Science in Imperial City

Mad Science in Imperial City

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Poetry. Prose. Asian American Studies. "MAD SCIENCE IN IMPERIAL CITY is propelled by the personal loss and trauma Shanxing Wang experienced during the political turbulence of the 1980s which culminated in the 1989 tragedy at Tiananmen Square. From this personal experience, Wang has created a work of art-in-language which breaks new territories of poetic form. The central u ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Futurepoem (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Science in Imperial City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Science in Imperial City

Amy
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Black Holes, Poetry, and Olympic Table Tennis

In 2008, during the Beijing Olympics, I spoke with Shanxing Wang about his book, Mad Science in Imperial City, while teaching it in my graduate seminar, “The Imaginary Present.” With his permission I have sampled sentences—the “molecular matter” of our conversation—and constructed a new sequence in an attempt at a nanotechnological form.

Amy Catanzano: I found Mad Science in Imperial City at the AWP Conference in New York City, read it on the airplane
Eugene
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a work of intense integration, a continuous curve over infinite sums of personal and national history, the poem felt to me written with the urgency of the refugee in flight -- but sculpted methodically, like a life-sentenced prisoner painstakingly making his case.

"the science of fiction" (p. 107).

what does it mean for the accented speaker to write non-accented english?

...especially, in the case of this book, which is not a narrative of "passing" (though, yes, one of immigration), where there is
Lynne
Jun 10, 2008 rated it liked it
this guy knows his extended metaphors. lots of language play especially with engineering jargon. just when you think you have no idea what this guy's talking about, there's something solid to latch onto and take you through another section. great prosetry.
Andrew
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, weird. A book I pick up for minutes at a time but would never attempt to read all at once.
Kevin Holden
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
:)))
Camille Roy
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. There is a beauty (& hollowness) to the language of science and math that becomes very moving in this work.
Steven
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faves
Met him last night and didn't talk an ounce of poetry nor did I tell him how much I loved this book.
and
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems
my brain doesnät work like this... brilliant nonetheless, just not for me
Lisa
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"Revolution, a revolving illusion about a virtual axis."
Erin
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Truly mindblowingly amazing. New permissions for what kinds of language poetry can use-
Lytton Smith
David
Oct 13, 2007
Gilessamantha
Oct 15, 2009
Shanxing grew up in Yanggao and Hunyuan (counties of Datong, Shanxi), entered Xi'an Jiaotong University at 15 to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies in mechanical engineering, and afterwards taught at Beijing University of Chemical Technology before moving to the US for further engineering graduate study and teaching in 1991. He has since lived in Berkeley, CA, Piscataway, NJ, and Flushing, ...more
More about Shanxing Wang...