Start by marking “Blood of Ancient Kings (Tales of Asculum, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood of Ancient Kings (Tales of Asculum, #1)

Read Book

Blood of Ancient Kings

(Tales of Asculum #1)

An award winning medieval story of love, honor and courage.

You would think the life of a prince would be great, but for the crown prince of Brinley that’s far from the truth. The only others near his age in the palace are children of the servants who all tease him for having no name. When he goes into the military he must conceal his identity but finally gains some friend
Published June 15th 2014 by V&E Enterprises (first published April 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Ancient Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of Ancient Kings

djdavis~*Sivad*Sex Pocket
This book was provided by Sage's Blog Tours
in return for an honest review

RATING- ** 2 OUT OF 5 STARS
Read more of this review and others @ The Book Wranglers

This book had a very interesting story line. The synopsis really had me excited to read a historical romance, especially since I haven't read one in a while.

Very short synopsis:
King Burkhart is a evil and heartless king. The people he rules over do not respect him because of his cruelty. As his wife lay on her death bed after birthing their
Claire Amber
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first got this book, I thought it was just going to be a long medieval story full of drama and was not really looking forward to that. But I know you can’t judge a book by its cover, even though I always love when books have great covers. After reading the first 100 pages or so, I couldn't put it down! My friend had to drag me off my bed just so I could go and eat something! It brought me such joy and wonder that I was more than happy to receive. No adultery, no love triangles, no unjusti ...more
WiLoveBooks
There are a lot of things I liked about this book. I enjoyed the medieval fantasy setting. There were some great characters and I cared about what happened to them, making me keep reading. There were politics, secrets, and sweet love stories. There is a contrast between royalty and commoners, palace life and village life. The story is clean with little violence and suitable for younger readers as well.

I liked the story. I want to rate it higher, there were just a couple of things that bothered m
Candice
Aug 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Normally I don't review anything that I haven't finished reading/watching, but by the time I got to page 40 (through sheer force of will alone) I decided that it simply was not worth reading. I've encountered better writing from high school students, and I doubt this book was ever edited, or even proofread. The writing is abrupt, choppy, composed almost entirely of simple sentences, and completely emotionless. It reads less like a novel and more like a list of actions and minor events. Example:

"
Elicia Cheah
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
You can also find this review at http://girlinthewoodsreviews.blogspot...

Detailed Review: My first impressions of this book was, to be honest, quite good. I'm not a cover judger, so I just basically ignored it, but it could do with some more work and details because not ALL readers are like me and usually good and beautiful covers attract the crowd.

The characters were what made the story enjoyable most of all. They were obviously well-planned characters with consistent personalities with no sudd
Ruth B
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, fantasy
Blood of Ancient Kings is the first book in the Ancient Kings series. It’s a medieval story that deals with friendship, honor, justice and love. A story about growing up, about redemption, about learning who we really are and the person we could become.

Once Colonel Langward takes the throne from King Burkhart, he sends the tyrant and his daughter to the villa where he used to live. This way the path of the two families will become one. The story goes through a large period of time, showing us h
Lynelle Clark
First of I have to say that the author had a good story line. When I read the blurb and agreed to review this historical novel I was looking forward to reading it.
The story line was uneventful and for four hundred and plus pages it went on the same trend. With repeats through out I could not loose myself in this story.
I never thought much about the important role a villain played in a story that kept you glued to the pages, wondering what will happen, what will he do?
I have learned the value of
Lynelle Clark
I have learned the value of
Amanda Masters
This book was amazing! I loved all the history, the love and the all around feel of this book! it just made you happy trough most of it even in the bad parts if that makes any sense ...lol....the book just has a over whelming sense that everything is going to be alight.

The book starts with the overthrowing of Burkhart a tyrant king by the one enimy he feared most, Langford! but compassion, love and a infant daughter can change a man and when the new king spares his life, he makes a new one with
Marina
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Review Originally Posted: http://www.larissaslife.com/

*Few Spoilers !

King Burkhart is a bad monarch! He is selfish, inconsiderate for his people and he is very, very arrogant. But his good fortune is about to end!

In this book King Burkhart will lose everything yet he will not loose his soul, in just a single moment he will lose his kingdom, and his wife but out of the goodness of his heart Colonel Lagnward will spare him his life and the life of his only daughter.

On the other side of his kingdom
Tracy Terry
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Despite the obviously ancient castle on the front cover and the synopsis on the back cover Blood of Ancient Kings is not historical fiction but what the author describes as medieval fantasy. Though to describe it as such is perhaps a bit misleading as there is little sense of time or place.

What I'd describe as a hybrid fantasy/romance. This is the story of two kings, of two fathers each of whom has a deep and abiding love for their offspring who, prophecy has it, destinies lie together.

Aimed at
Shannon McGee
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, royals
The story begins with a death of a Queen and a birth of a Princess. A hated King is removed and made a peasant, as highly decorated knight becomes King. As the old king raises his daughter the new King and Queen raises a son.

There is a lot of repetitive story in Blood Of Ancient Kings and foreshadows, so much that you know where the story is going. Like the fact the prince has no true name and only his true love can give him a name is set on repeat, along with other parts of story line. Althou
Simone
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
I received a free copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review. I had extremely hopeful thoughts when I began reading this book. After all, when you think of a medieval story, whether romance or otherwise, kingdoms are constantly at war with one another. Even the portion where Langward fought to take over as king has been omitted from the book. There was a sweet romance portion but the historical portion is exceedingly lacking. The 400+ pages this book has seemed to drone on with repetiti ...more
Gordon
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Wow.......What a book..........I have not picked up a book just to read in over 20 years as I do a lot of reading for work, but it is things that contracts, technical manual and reports. For Christmas I got a Kindle Fire to put my contracts on so I could access them on the road if I need to refer to something and thought that I would download a book just to see how it worked. I came across the book "Blood of Ancient Kings".....Cool cover so I downloaded it and started read. It is a must read bo ...more
Jill
Feb 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I truly wanted to like this book. I met the author at a Christmas fair and we had a nice chat. I only finished the book because I paid full price for it. While the overall premise is good, that's all it's got going for it. I will not be reading the rest of the series. It's in desperate need of a professional editor's hatchet and polish. Stay away until third or fourth edition.
Gordon
Amy Stephan 10
Apr 25, 2015
Jessica
Mar 19, 2016
Writing under the pen name V.J.O. Gardner, Valerie is an award wining author of full length fractured fairy tale fantasy novels. She has self published Blood of Ancient Kings which won an award in the very first contest she had ever entered. Her second book, Dracona’s Rebirth, is published by Ink Smith Publishing.
Always fascinated by both medieval times and sci-fi she was an avid reader and enjoye

Tales of Asculum (4 books)
  • Tales of Asculum
  • Dracona's Rebirth (Tales of Asculum, #2)
  • Servant Queen (Tales of Asculum, #3)