Start by marking “The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon--and me, Ruby Oliver” as Want to Read:

The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon--and me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  6,836 Ratings  ·  488 Reviews
From E. Lockhart, author of the highly acclaimed, New York Times bestseller We Were Liars, which John Green called "utterly unforgettable," comes The Treasure Map of Boys, the third book in the uproarious and heartwarming Ruby Oliver novels.

Ruby is back at Tate Prep, and it’s her thirty-seventh week in the state of Noboyfriend. Her panic attacks are bad, her love life is e
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Map of Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Map of Boys

Tatiana
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of clever YA
As seen on The Readventurer

"The Treasure Map of Boys" is the third book about Ruby Oliver, a 16-year old girl unsure of what and who she wants in her life. Ruby's life is messy and stressful and she always seems to be trying to figure out how to deal with her overbearing parents, ex-boyfriend, potential boyfriends, her on and off friends, and undeserved reputation of a roly-poly slut.

Once again, E. Lockhart doesn't disappoint. Her knowledge of the inner works of a teenage girl's mind is profoun
Nataliya

Ruby Oliver, she of red lipstick, glasses, fishnets, vintage clothes, mystery novels, and old movies, is at the point where she needs to reevaluate her life, her goals, and her relationships, perhaps grow a backbone, and, well, draw a treasure map. And so she does, in her trademark anxiety-and-quirk-filled way, which is just "Spankin' with a side of ennui."

Among the other lessons of adolescence Mocha Latte (per Ruby's request, to avoid the immediate association with all the unpleasant things li
Catie
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in this series is most definitely my favorite, but it’s this one that really cemented Ruby Oliver into my fictional-soul-sister-for-life hall of fame forever and ever. In book two, Ruby was struggling to be a better friend – to be more considerate and thoughtful – while at the same time stand up for herself and respect her own feelings. But how far should she go in the name of friendship? How much should she sacrifice? It’s easier to see that line with frenemies like Kim and bad- ...more
Isamlq
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What does Ruby Oliver have that has me going through her books one after another? It's not like she's perfect, she is so far from being perfect.

She's boy crazy.
(Or maybe just plain crazy?)

She's slightly neurotic.
(Make that very neurotic.)

Her friends Suck.
(Let's face it, they do suck. Boo!)

She is completely aware of the fact that she does not know what she wants!
(But with the help of the awesome Dr. Z, some bitchy llamas, zoo animals that don't judge, and her parents, the new dog named Polka D
Regina
Another great book in the Ruby Oliver series. This series is such fun but also offers great messages for teen girls (and really for adults too). Ruby continues on her path through high school, standing her ground when pushed and dealing with high school drama issues. This one started off slightly slower than the first two, but once in to the book I did not want to stop. It is funny, enlightening and just pure enjoyment.
Lizzie
Oh this one you guys. Everyone.

How bad does it hurt seeing Ruby have trouble. She is so mad and so trying. She's learned how to stick up for herself but that sometimes makes things worse. The fight at the zoo, and Nora still judging her, and every single time she dissolves into another panic attack, which get so much worse in this book I lost count.

I love the Tate Boys Bake campaign. And the fight with the older girl, and the scene there at the bake sale. With Jackson, when she says what she thi
April (Aprilius Maximus)
FEELINGS ARE EVERYWHERE. I CAN RELATE TO THIS BOOK SO MUCH RIGHT NOW. I LOVE THIS SERIES OH MAN.
Rose
Initial Thoughts: I'll wholeheartedly admit I shadow read this between four other books I was supposed to be reading, and ended up finishing this one far sooner than I thought. I think this is my favorite book in the series so far. The ending was just the touch I needed. I think I might have another book crush to consider as well.

Full review:

"The Treasure Map of Boys" is the third novel in E. Lockheart's Ruby Oliver series, and if you think that Ruby catches a break in this novel after the event
Amanda
Ruby's just had winter break and is back at school, Tate Prep. She's still friends with Meghan and Nora as well as Noel and Hutch. She's struggling with her feelings for Noel but she won't tell him she likes him because Nora likes him plus she's currently in the state of Noboyfriend. Her panic attacks are almost non-existent now but she's still seeing her psych, Dr Z. Her homework for therapy is to create a treasure map of positive relationships.

The Treasure Map of Boys by E.Lockhart is my favou
Heather
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Tatiana
Shelves: 2009, 2012
Re-read in February 2012.

What can I say? Ruby Oliver has dazzled me yet again. She is the voice of the female species, or at least, the neurotic half of it.

Regardless of how many times I revisit Ruby's story, I never fail to find something new to love about her. She's the kind of girl we've all been and while we, as Ruby, should all strive to be better, who she is is kind of awesome. Over the years, The Ruby Oliver series has become a bit of a guilty pleasure. Something that I delve into when I'
Michelle
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, faves, humor
Dear Miss E. Lockhart,

I cannot ardently enough express my love for this book...best in the series so far. Ruby makes me jittery and uncomfortable, just like I am reliving my teenage years...something I know I should not enjoy so very very much, but I'll be darned if I can put your books down. Seriously.

Love,

Michelle

Disclaimer/confession...before I tell you why I love this book, and all the books I've read by Lockhart so far. I jumped on the Twilight bandwagon...I'm not ashamed to say I enjoyed
Keertana
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the Ruby Oliver books often seem to be all about boys, I never really felt as if they were. To me, The Boyfriend List felt as if it was about Ruby and her inner discovery into herself and her relationships with others. Granted it was told through her experiences with fifteen different guys, but it never felt like a book about boys. Same with The Boy Book. The second Ruby Oliver book was about friendship, acceptance, and moving on with your life despite the bad things that happen. But th ...more
Eva Mitnick
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, chick-lit
In this third Ruby Oliver novel, Ruby continues to obsess about boys and friends – but mostly boys. Readers of the first two books will know that she hasn’t had good luck with either one, managing (through a series of miscommunications, mishaps, and mistiming) to alienate and/or anger many of the students in her small and prestigious Seattle private school.

Although I was an insignificant person in my own large urban high school, my younger daughter’s experiences in her tiny public charter school
Tina
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, romance, ya, 2013
Original post from One More Page

I liked the first two Ruby Oliver books I read, and I wasn't planning to buy The Treasure Map of Boys, until one day I was left waiting somewhere without a book. So I finally got this so I would know what happened to Ruby and her state of Noboyfriend. In this book, Ruby seems like she's back to square one, but this time there's Noel. And Hutch. And Jackson again. And there's lots of baking, and Nora and friendship that may or may not be ruined because of boys.

Oh
Steph Su
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
E. Lockhart’s Ruby Oliver books are, quite simply, some of the best studies of high school platonic and romantic interaction that ever exist. What I love about Roo and the books about her are how thoroughly and realistically complex the characters are. Teens do a lot of crazy things in high school, and there are never easy explanations for their motivations. Similarly, Roo is constantly trying to analyze her behavior and decide whether she is being a normal teenage girl or a horrible person.

This
Samantha
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Treasure Map of Boys was as hilarious and meticulously plotted as its predecessors, The Boyfriend List and The Boy Book. Once again Ruby Oliver's quirky, hilarious voice shone through to narrate this tale ridden with teenage angst. I don't think anyone captures the high school experience better than E. Lockhart. She is right up there with Meg Cabot and Sarah Dessen.

The Treasure Map of Boys begins after winter break of Roo's junior year. The relative stability Roo established at the end of Th
Deyse
Review originally posted here.

Oh my god, this book you guys, this book finally has a scene that I have been waiting my whole life (ok, not true, but my whole life since I started this series) - Ruby finally realises what a looser Jackson is and join the winning side! No spoilers about what happened but it was a scene from the end and while I read I was like "YOU GO GIRL". Anyway, this book also had a great message of feminism (as all the books on this series but this one specially) when Ruby con
Ellis

This book made me so mad. Don't get me wrong, I completely get why it's a necessary instalment in Ruby's "journey", and there are certain scenes that had me jumping up and down with excitement and feels - Noby classroom scene, anyone - but I loved The Boy Book so, so much, and so many of the themes, events and characters so perfectly handled in that one got turned upside down until everything was messy and screwy again. Usually I like messy and screwy, and it's pretty much the Ruby Oliv
Nikhat Hetavkar
TS
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, there's nothing more to say that I haven't mentioned in the first and second books' reviews already. I'm loving these. I love Ruby as a protagonist and I love the shit she gets pulled into because of her neuroses and indecisiveness.

This book was particularly painful for me because of the whole Noel debacle. Then again, it allowed us to appreciate Ruby's independence and I was rooting for her so much. I love how nonchalantly feminist these books are. It's kind of a huge "fuck you" to t
♥ Sarah
Luke Sital-Singh - Bottled Up Tight
The Joy Formidable - Silent Treatment
Elenowen -Bittersweet
Josh Jenkins - I Still Love You

Ruby has got to be one of my favorite heroines ever. She's so relatable and perfectly imperfect that it hurts. And she's self-deprecating in a totally lovable way.
Ruby's perpetually trying to find her footing in the Tate Prep Universe with the help of Dr. Z (whose dynamic with Ruby is truly magical), and a few
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Ruby "Roo" Oliver is trying to be good. Since the beginning of the school year she has had a thing for Noel, but her promise not to go after any guy one of her friends is interested in is complicating matters. Nora told Roo she likes Noel and that makes him off-limits.

Although her focus is on Noel, the other guys in her life are sending strange message as well. Jackson is back to his old self, flirting with Roo. Nora's college-age b
Leanne
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may have taken a little break from the sad, sad Fall on Your Knees to read this...but only because I am no longer a library delinquent, and I spotted it in teen fiction on my way out last night! I have been skillfully avoiding the library for quite some time now, due to the fact that accidentally had 4 books overdue for approximately 1.5 years and owed $176. But I decided to eat the frog (sly Ruby Oliver reference there) and go back and pay my dues, because my bank account could no longer hand ...more
Gelo Salinio
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, ruby-oliver
Susane Colasanti
I adore E. Lockhart's books, especially the Ruby Oliver novels. This latest installment did not disappoint. Boy problems, girl drama, head issues, and friendly zoo animals are all included. And, of course, her signature creative word choices, like "pony-tailing around" and "snarfled." When a book makes standing over an hour in airport security lines feel more like ten minutes, you know you've found a winner. I loved this fun, entertaining read.
Eva
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
So viel pubertärer Nonsense, ich bin zu alt für sowas.
Rose
Yet another hilarious Ruby Oliver book, all teenage girls will enjoy this series! I love how with each book, Ruby's character matures so much and her adventures always end in her learning.
Alex
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-ya, contemporary
At First Sight: Winter break is over and Ruby Oliver is back in the Tate Universe, neurotic as ever and trying to navigate her way through no-boyfriend land and remain a good friend.

Not that the boys in her life are making things easy. Suddenly Jackson - the one that broke her heart -is talking to her again. Noel - the one she (and her friend Norah) wants - is flirting and asking her to be his bodyguard against other girls. Gideon - Nora's brother - is helping her bake.

On top of that, Ruby lost
Brittany
Ruby Oliver is down to only a few friends, but at least she isn't as much of a leper as last year. This year Ruby figures she can exist in a happy place of noboyfriend and then she won't have anymore problems. It is too good to be true. She gets in trouble at her job, Noel starts writing her flirty notes, Jackson gives her frogs, Gideon is helping her cook for the bake sale she is in charge of and rumors are starting to swirl, some of them unjust. Regardless, Ruby is trying to make the best of h ...more
  • The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie (Ashbury/Brookfield, #3)
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • Scarlett Fever (Scarlett, #2)
  • Perfect Fifths (Jessica Darling, #5)
  • Tap & Gown (Secret Society Girl, #4)
  • The Pillow Book of Lotus Lowenstein
  • Into the Wild Nerd Yonder
  • The FitzOsbornes in Exile (The Montmaray Journals, #2)
  • Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #10)
  • Extreme Kissing
  • Guyaholic (V Valentine, #2)
  • Past Perfect
  • Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature
  • Good Oil
  • Five Flavors of Dumb
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
E. Lockhart is the author of Genuine Fraud, We Were Liars, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, The Boyfriend List and several other novels.

website: www.emilylockhart.com
Liars site: www.wewereliars.com
blog: www.theboyfriendlist.com
Twitter: elockhart
More about E. Lockhart...

Ruby Oliver (4 books)
  • The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)
  • The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, #2)
  • Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)
“There's something about seeing a guy's feelings written down, something about him taking that risk and committing that heart to paper, that means so much more than anything he could just say.” 50 likes
“Absorbing the fact that sometimes, people do cut you slack and forgive you and want you anyway.

Sometimes they do. And when they do, even if it's not a happy ending, it is delicious”
44 likes