Start by marking “Euripides: The Complete Plays Volume I” as Want to Read:
Euripides:  The Complete Plays Volume I

Euripides: The Complete Plays Volume I

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Athens of the fifth century B.C.E. represents one of the towering achievements of civilization. It is the crucible in which Western Civilization was given form. It created democracy, not in its modern parliamentary or representative form, but a direct democracy, one in which the Athenian citizen governed himself, which is what democracy means: rule by the people. Along wit ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Smith and Kraus Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Euripides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Euripides

Ann Rufo
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
In reading all of the books on the Great Books list, Euripides was the last of the Greek playwrights for me to conquer, and for that, I think I may have short-changed him. I found several of his plays more difficult to get through than the other Greek playwrights.

In The Bacchae, the overuse of the Greek Chorus as a central character made relating to the action of the play difficult. In Helen, the drawn out counter-explanation for Helen of Troy not really being taken by Paris to start the Trojan
Eb Daniels
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This volume contains Alkestis, Medeia, The Heraklids , and Hippolytos.

There are two ways to translate Greek drama into English: employ lofty verbiage to convey the exalted nature of the text, or employ casual and common speech to capture the effect of the original Greek on Greek audiences. Dr. Carl R. Mueller has opted for the latter and he achieves it with remarkable success.

By rendering Euripides in a very colloquial and plebeian English, Mueller captures that sense of the pedantic would oug
Thurston Hunger
Feb 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who leap to conclusions
There are many versions of Euripides...pure chance, rather than the fact that Mueller translated Pirandello, drew me to this one. It made me think of the attacks on television in the 70's/80's that were parried by pointing to the sex and violence in Shapespeare. Here while there is plenty of physical violence, it's the psychological warfare that rings across the milennia.

Is Medeia a sister to "Basic Instinct" (honestly I've never seen the Glenn Close film, but I think the cautionary scare tacti
Jesse
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This volume contains my favorite play, Hippolytus, where Aphrodite comes to exact revenge on a worshipper of Artemis. A powerful tale, right alongside the well-presented examination of justice in Medea; Euripides displays his support and suspicion of women side by side.
Laura Grow-Nyberg