Start by marking “A Street Through Time” as Want to Read:
A Street Through Time

A Street Through Time

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  346 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Demonstrating the unfolding of history, panoramic views visiting a particular site every few centuries follow the evolution of a Stone Age riverside settlement into a twentieth-century city. A bold title and date with a few sentences describing significant changes appears in the upper-right-hand corner of each broad vertical scene. Added statements wind around the four bor ...more
Published 1998 by Dorling Kindersley

To ask other readers questions about A Street Through Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Street Through Time

Melki
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, kidstuff
This is an AWESOME book!

Steve Noon's illustrations tell most of the story as author Millard guides you through the changes that occur in one small area of our planet - from 10,000 BC to the present day.

description
First Farmers (2000 BC)

The words at the borders of the pages tell interesting tidbits about the "street's" current inhabitants, and offer suggestions for things to look for - kind of a historical Where's Waldo? hunt. And though he's not wearing a striped sweater and pompom hat, there's a time trav
Judy
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-any-age
The first 'Waldo' came out in 1987, and since then we've accumulated several more Search & Find books. But, this book is a favorite because it provides a window into the past. Starting with the stone age, and ending with the present era, there are 15 views of a riverside street. If I were to guess a location, I'd say London. (Maybe a location is mentioned or alluded to in the book; I don't remember.)

It's totally engrossing to watch buildings come and go, bridges get sturdier, castles appear
Becky
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember who gave this book to my kids (or even which kid actually received it, come to think of it), but I owe them a debt. It's a fabulous picture book that packs a tremendous amount of history into just a few pages! The illustrations are wonderful, and you could spend a good chunk of time just looking at them and discussing them with the child of your choice before you even get around to reading the text. Once you do read it, however, you'll need to spend another chunk of time looking ...more
I would love to have a copy of this book. It is one of those that you pick up and can't put down. Fascinating, it's wonderful to imagine all that has transpired in a particular site over time. Great to have lying around in the classroom for students to peruse at their leisure.
Diz
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This really gets kids to think about the passage of time and how different ages relate to each other. My son focused particularly on the stone circle and was excited to see it appear in different ages and then felt sad when it disappeared.
Emma Dickinson
I have been lucky enough to find myself a copy of this amazing book which I will be using in my Year 3 class next term. It offers an insight into the changing landscape from 10,000 bc through to modern(ish) times. The attention to detail is mind blowing and it is the type of book you will always notice something new every time you read it. Munchkin (5) was fascinated to spot bare bottoms as people went about their ablutions and was shocked that people didn't have a bath in their homes. This is a ...more
Lora
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is a large sized but thin book chock full of hours and hours and hours of me-time. The kids have pored over this book to the point that the detailed and complicated pictures absolutely must visit them in their dreams. I know I've spent some time enjoying the book, myself. Each two page spread is an amazingly detailed historical conjecture of a certain place along a certain river bank. The actual place made be made up, but there is still a lot of history here. Each page after the next advanc ...more
Julie Suzanne
I wish I wish I wish that I had this book when my son was in elementary school! He was the type of child who obsessed over visual details (possibly an ADHD thing), and this book would have occupied him for hours and hours. Fascinating history presented in such a unique way, perfect for visual learners. I loved it myself, although I was less interested in the visual candy. Readers see how one little spot on the side of a river has changed over history (thousands of years). Detail worshipers can i ...more
Suzanne Jordan
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, grade-3-6
Beginning with the Stone Age in 10,000 BCE, Millard explores the basic aspects of human culture describing food gathering, pets, tools, and forest spirits. As we move through the First Farmers and then the Iron Age, we start to see the development of livestock, grain crops, woolen clothing, and fancier boats. With each passing era, buildings change from thatch to wood to brick and back to wood again after the Roman times. Politics change from small nomadic groups to villages run by chiefs and la ...more
DBecks
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default
This book was in the classroom when I was in the fourth grade. Every time the teacher sent us on our own devices, I always picked this book up. I liked it so much I asked the teacher if I could borrow it and bring it home with me. I looked it over so many times at home that I ended up ripping out one of the pages by accident, whoops.

This book has rich and detailed illustrations. It invites its readers to imagine a river bank, from humanity's nascent civilization, perched along the riverbanks, i
Susan
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, social-history
An illustrated history of a fictional ~two block area in England from prehistory through the present. It shows population expansion and contraction through conquest, invasion, plague, technological inovation, what have you. What's cool is that each illustration is of this same patch of ground with foreground structures in cross-section so you see buildings built, torn down or repurposed, scavenged as ruins or renovated down the centuries. Like the guys digging out a basement who found the treasu ...more
Dorothy
This is a great oversize book with a plethora of details of land grows into a settlement, a village, and eventually a modern city as different periods of time pass and a new age begins. The illustrations are amazingly detailed, which will give hours of exploration for the readers. The notes about specific feature in each page spread helps define little facts pertinent to that time period.

Only downside to the book: In the last few pages, where the book gives a timeline of important events in wor
Kristi
This is an updated edition with all new illustrations of a great book that makes history fascinating for the elementary aged set. I spent a long time, myself, going through all the detailed pages, looking at all the people and what they were doing inside their different houses. Details from one page pop up if you're looking for them on future pages. Although the book never says where the town is located, it is most likely set in Great Britain, as it is invaded by both the Romans and the Vikings, ...more
Shelli
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take a stroll through a “street” to see how society has evolves over the last 12,000 years. From the Stone Age to Modern times this book near perfectly showcases a changing community. My only criticism is the touch-to-small pictures that at times made it challenging to see exactly what was happening on some portions of the street. Just like in Where’s Waldo, readers are encouraged to look for their time traveling friend, Henry Hyde on each page. This became frustrating at times due to the overcr ...more
Francesca Bertucci
I think this book was is appropriate for grades 3-8. It demonstrates how time has shaped land and what has evolved from it. In the beginning it has Historical background information and each page is a visual with identified objects, acts, villages, etc. Its supposed to be a walk through history and I think it does a great job at this. Its a fun and interesing way for students to learn about how history has changed over time. I'm in college and I was very interested in this book and didnt want to ...more
Ilana Waters
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued not only by how the author and illustrator told their story, but what they chose to include. They didn't gloss over periods in history like wars and plagues, but still kept those subjects age-appropriate. There were plenty of humorous details as well!

I also enjoyed how they added continuity as the history of the street unfolded (ex., a treasure chest was lost in one time period, only to be found later). Hours of fun exploring the intricate detail and step back into history.

Oh,
Simon
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is so entertaining! I love it.
Somethings never change. something change a great deal. This book demonstrates history's greatest tales and the formation of humanity today and the ways of life. This is why time travel would be so cool.

My favourite time period (other than my own) is the 1700s when everything is luscious and rich. Life was first class and fancy. Very elegant and proper. It was a sunshine time for humanity, before the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.
Michelle
An excellent book to sit and read with a youngster. It is helpful in developing a sense of the passage of time and history in children. The pictures are excellent and filled with seek and find opportunities that make it fun. We enjoyed finding Henry Hyde amongst the pages. My only complaint is that the pages are so jam packed and some figures so small that we sometimes resorted to using a magnifying glass to look at the images more closely.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
An excellent journey through time from the days of hunting and gathering to the modern era. It all takes place on one street and we get to see how it changes as the centuries pass.

Fantastic illustrations. Lots to see. There are little questions and comment around the edges of the page that help you search for certain things within the illustration to show examples of the people and culture of the era.
Elizabeth
Nov 28, 2012 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting way to present and format history and the change it brings over time. Much detail - a book for those kids who love to notice the little things. A visual spring board for raising questions and getting mental wheels turning before looking at a period or periods in history. Kind of like Where's Waldo in history.

Nothing is really spared here - so note to parents that there are naked people and the grim parts of life are in there too.
Cassandra
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cassandra by: Kristen Jorgenson
This is a very cool book that captures the changes in landscape and living that have taken place throughout history. The illustrations are great, and in addition to text that explain each period of time, many items in the pictures are labeled to expand vocabulary. My husband and I want to buy this for our home. There are a few companion books, but I have not accessed them yet (I had to request this one through ILL). Thanks, Kristen!
Susan
This book could keep a child busy for a long time- It not only has a look and find aspect, but there are quick facts and much of the learning is done through seeing what is happening in the pictures. The turn of a page brings another er, showing the changes that come as each new group takes of the same spot of land.
Ardra
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing

The kids and I took a couple hours to go through this book on a teachers' workday. It was an incredible experience. Through pictures and a few descriptions and explanations, we were walked through 12,000 years of history of a European riverside location. Civilizations are built up, only to be destroyed and the cycle starts again. Thought provoking!
Helen Azar
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely fascinated by this book and it's format and art! What an awesome abd clever childrens' book (as well as adult). I would give more stars if that were an option. Also see A City Through Time ( http://www.amazon.com/City-Through-Ti...)
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is so popular, I needed to buy another one. It's one street viewed through different historical time periods. It starts with the Stone Age and continues right through present day. The street is on a river, so we see the development of trade and commerce and daily life. There's a glossary in the back and lots of labels and things to look over.
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful illustrations with many details for children to pore over. My only problem is the presentation of Western history as the only history. I wish the book was subtitled "A 12,000-Year Walk Through Western History" and a note at the beginning acknowledged this was the history of a Western European city and other cultures developed differently.
Kate Hastings
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
Grades 3-6. Great for change over time studies. Helps students visualize what the same place looked like during the stone age, agricultural revolution, iron age, medieval times, urbanization, etc. It is fun to turn the pages and see remnants of the times past-- and to see how the landscape changed as people cut down trees, repurposed old buildings, etc.
Lil
Sep 27, 2009 rated it liked it
The author, or illustrator, should have done a little more research before publishing this book. One of the pictures is of a garden that is fenced in with a goat inside the fence. Anyone who knows goats would know that if you put a goat in your garden that you would no longer have a garden, they would have quickly eaten every plant in sight.
Nathalie S
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book I love--Seeing the historical, architectural, anthropological and other '-igical" ways a place has been through. Great illustrations filled with little extra tidbits of information on the way people lived and things to look for to stir up children's interest.
Tracy Black
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The kids really enjoyed browsing through this book. It shows a street at 14 different points in history over the last 12000 years. It has very little text, but buildings and people are labeled in the pictures, and factoids are in the margins. Quick easy view of what life was like in the past.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Leonardo's Horse
  • Leonardo da Vinci
  • Built to Last
  • If You Lived Here: Houses of the World
  • March On!: The Day My Brother Martin Changed the World
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Castle
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • Francis: The Poor Man of Assisi
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai (Frances Foster Books)
  • A Medieval Feast
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • Secrets of the Garden: Food Chains and the Food Web in Our Backyard
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • Castle