Start by marking “Winter Eyes” as Want to Read:
Winter Eyes

Winter Eyes

Snowballs, ice skating,sledding! Frozen toes, icy slush,runny nose. Well, winter's not all fun and games. But well-loved, best-selling poet Douglas Florian will melt your doubts about Mother Nature's chilly grip with twenty-eight winter-inspired poems accompanied by his crisp, trademark watercolor illustrations. Young readers are sure to warm up to the uniquely keen vision ...more
Published October 28th 1999 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Eyes

Start your review of Winter Eyes
Cheryl
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't like winter, and am already, as we enter August, 'borrowing trouble' by fretting about it. I impulse-grabbed this from the library as bibliotherapy... and discovered a gem.

All you folks who think that you don't like poetry, or think that Jack Prelutsky and Shel Silverstein are the only poets you need in your life, try this. Almost as easy and straightforward, but much richer. A perfect stepping stone to more glorious/difficult poetry, the kind with allusion and alliteration...

_*Icicles*_
Julie
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wax-poetic
This has become my new favorite winter poetry collection for my kids. These are modern, original poems, not a compilation of classics.
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
Winter Eyes (ages 5-10) by Douglas Florian is a collection of winter poetry. The table of contents describes all the different aspects of winter in forty-eight selections. Douglas Florian not only wrote the poems but he also painted the pictures. I loved the way this book combined the beautiful paintings with rhythmic poetry. This is a must-read. My favorite poems were “Sled”, “Untitled”, and “Figure 8”. See my blog for other winter-themed children's books with curriculum activities for teachers ...more
Narcarsia Cannon
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I can definitely see myself using in my classroom. I enjoyed all of the poems on winter and can see using this book and the others in the collection as a way to introduce not only poetry, but the different aspects of the four seasons.
Jodi
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
We loved this collection of winter poems, reading it over a few days during cozy moments like teatime. :-)
Melissa Newton

Theme(s): Winter, Seasons

Opening line/sentence:
“Look at winter
With winter eyes,
As smoke curls from rooftops
To clear cobalt skies.”

Brief Book Summary:
This book is a collection of 28 poems that talk about wintertime. While all of the poems have something in common, each one addresses something different about wintertime, from what the season physically looks like, to the activities that people do during winter, to how the author
Lindsay
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Revisit again later
Nicole Scheu
Summary: This is a collection of poems about winter. There are twenty-eight winter poems with water colored illustrations. The poems cover a range of winter experiences from how you feel at the beginning of winter to the end, snowman, sledding, cabin fever, winter woods and lives, all that capture the feelings about winter.

Characteristics that support the genre: The poems in this book express feelings about winter. The structure of the lines of stanza features poems.

Writing mentor traits:
Patricia Stephens
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
This would be a cute book to use to read poetry to elementary kids because of the simple structure and meanings of the poems. It would be a fun way to introduce the winter season, and possibly get the kids excited about the holiday season in an educational way. The book is filled with multiple poems about winter having to deal with the senses, which allows for the children to easily relate to the poetry. Some of the poems are also formed into shapes that relate to what the poem is describing. ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book the other day and it immediately made me think of activities I did when I was learning about poetry. Florian writes this book with amazing language, using elements of personification on nearly every page. The illustrations are simple yet still very pretty, and even used to give life to specific words. For example, she writes "sled" while making it look like a little hill. The illustrations make her wonderfully written poems come to life on the pages, and make reading poetry easy ...more
Elizabeth Sherry
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think this book of poerty about wintertime is great for elementary aged students. The poems are super simple and easy to understand. Most of them deal with senses; what they see, feel, hear. The simple way in which the author uses these sense is easy for a young child to relate to. Two poems that I found to be potentially useful in the classroom are "What I Love About Winter," and "What I Hate About Winter." In my classroom, I would have students write down what they like and dislike about the ...more
Lisa Rathbun
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This collection is awesome! I'd love to share this with a classroom in the wintertime. There are two fun shaped poems, one about sledding and one about snowflakes, and a cute very short concrete poem about ice skating. "Winter Time" sums up the seasons in a brief but effective poem. The metaphors in "Icicles" are memorable. I love how in "The Winter Tree" the tree dreams of animals, children, picnics, and "leaves and leaves and leaves and leaves." Every poem could be dissected for imagery, ...more
JennE
What do you like about winter? What do you NOt like about winter? This wonderful, descriptive book of poetry is centered just about winter. Florian's use of descriptive language and folksy paintings will appeal to all ages. The poem, What I Love About Winter, will be a great way to use author's craft-writing poetry is sometimes less intimidating for children than whole narratives.

~What I Love About Winter~
Funny hats
Yasmin Gomez Geng
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, fantasy
Poems touching on every winter topic imaginable, this book brings the magic and frustrations of winter to life. From the fun of sledding, to the personification of snowmen, to the strangeness of the weather, these poems describe the activities available in the winter as well as describe the magic of sitting in front of the fireplace and of racing to go sledding.

Grade: 1st Grade to 3rd Grade
Topic: Snow, Winter, Seasons, Nature
Kelly Thevenot
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, senses, seasons
Winter Eyes is an educational book that can be for all elementary students. It is a book of winter poems that uses senses. Feeling the chill of winter, seeing white, hearing wind, and it also teaches about the differece of hot and cold. Hot being summer and cold is winter. It is an informational book that can be used for teaching the season, while incorporating poetry. Also, it can be used when talking about senses.
Alyssa
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Small, quiet poems and pictures capture how winter feels to a small child, from "sloppy slush" to "grumpy" sun, and the wind "that hustles rusty leaves along." The short rhyming lines are clear and will be easy to read aloud, and the softly toned watercolor-and-colored-pencil pictures show snowy winter scenes, some realistic, some playful.
McKenzie
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book of children's poems. It covered everything from poems about loving winter, to poems about hating winter. It had poems for every aspect of winter. It was so warm and inviting. The pictures are great and it ultimately made me a little sad that winter is coming to an end. Loved it!
Ellen Brandt
My favorite collection of winter poems. Before we read the poems "What I love about winter" and "What I hate about winter", I have students think of things that they associate with winter and sort these into two lists: good things and bad things.
Mommywest
Nice descriptive poems and child-pleasing illustrations. Great for preschoolers and up. (My preschoolers actually loved this book. I think their favorite poem and illustration was the one about icicles. I won't spoil it--it's pretty fun.)
Teige Seiden
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A good collection of winter poems.
Alexis
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Love the illustrations! And the variety of the poems about winter
Christine
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Poem: What I love About Winter
Waller
Jul 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Playful poems on the experience of winter - a somewhat rural, nostalgic view of winter in the north (possibly Canada or Minnesota?).
Tracy
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Over and Under the Snow
  • Crinkleroot's 25 Birds Every Child Should Know
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • The Baker's Dozen: A Saint Nicholas Tale, with Bonus Cookie Recipe and Pattern for St. Nicholas Christmas Cookies (25th Anniversary Edition)
  • Loads of Letters!
  • Twas the Day After Thanksgiving: A Lift-The-Flap Story
  • Snarlyhissopus
  • Phases of the Moon: A 4D Book
  • Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
  • A Pocket for Corduroy
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Book Girl: A Journey Through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life
  • Islandborn
  • Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2)
  • Herbs for the Home Medicine Chest