Start by marking “Adkar: A Model for Change in Business, Government and Our Community: How to Implement Successful Change in Our Personal Lives and Professional Careers” as Want to Read:

Why do some changes fail while others succeed? How can you make sense of the many tools and approaches for managing change? How can you lead change successfully, both in your personal life and professional career? After more than 14 years of research with corporate change, the ADKAR model has emerged as a holistic approach that brings together the collection of change mana ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Prosci Research

To ask other readers questions about Adkar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adkar

Michelle
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I was required to read this book for work. It does a fine job of explaining the ADKAR methodology. It repeated many of the messages to help you remember. It also provides practical case studies of successful use of ADKAR.

What was odd was the case studies of changes that failed because they didn’t use ADKAR. The success stories were about business process changes and even the simple reuse your towel cards in hotel rooms. But the failures include Peak Oil Reform, social security reform and the Cl
Bob Selden
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
IN ADKAR, Hiatt sets out to show why some changes fail when others succeed; how to make sense of the many methods and tactics for change; and how to lead change successfully. The book scores well on all three aims.

ADKAR stands for Awareness, Desire, Knowledge, Ability and Reinforcement – a simple acronym for the elements required to be managed in any successful change process. Through identification and then assessment of all the various components of the change, scores are allocated on a 5 poin
Petra Gleason
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
This was another book assigned for our yearly development. This doesn't really tell you anything new if you've read self improvement books for work before. But, it does go over it again in a very easily understood way and has some great examples of the ADKAR principle.
Shannon Menard sr.
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ADKAR is a great book about the process of change. It shares case studies to educate you on each part of the process. If you are a CEO or just starting a new job you will find value in this book. If you are going through change or trying to be a change agent this book is for you! It’s an easy read. The one thing to remember is that you can not skip a portion of the process in order to be successful.
Kristin
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was required reading for a training class I will be attending at work. Actually only the first 9 chapters were mandatory reading, but I figured since the book isn't that long I'd finish it off to get credit toward my 2017 reading challenge!
The subject matter certainly isn't a barn burner, but it is presented in a very straight forward manner with a variety of case study examples. So it was a relatively painless quick read.
Simone
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018_non-digital
A short, but very interesting and structure approach description how to manage and undergo change
Michael
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not bad. Looking forward to the training.
Barry Bridges
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The definitive work for the ADKAR framework for leading change initiatives for individuals and organizations.
Kathleen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The book gave me a very clear understanding of the ADKAR process for implementing change management.
Brad
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book explains very simply that in order for change to occur,within a group of people, that certain things or steps must occur. The book walks the reader through those steps.
Gotogrrl
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book for beginners in change management. I have a lot of familiarity with the concepts from my job everyday, so I didn't have a lot of a-ha moments, but still a good review.

One place that I would have liked to see more thinking is in the role of the manager. In this business climate, managers are stretched to the max (or believe they are). How do you position and implement change so that it isn't another "to-do," but rather part of their mindset? This goes beyond accountability setting to
Glenda Owens
The strength of ADKAR is that the model is useful not just for 'change management,' but for backward looking assessments as well. It's one thing to talk about learning from past mistakes; It's another thing to have a tool that helps identify the reasons for those mistakes. The typical principles of managing resistance, planning for success, and establishing a roadmap are all in the book - but listen for the guidance of "What if we had.....?" and ADKAR will be much more than just another change m ...more
Peggy Widynowski
I really enjoyed these easily understood concepts of the necessary steps towards making effective and lasting changes. It is easy to see where organizations go wrong when they try to change their culture. Every leader should read this book. I can also see the value of having someone in an organization have a background in change management - change is a part of the business world and the better that it is managed, the better and stronger the organization will be.
Kathryn
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
I like the ADKAR model because the concepts are sensible and easy to grasp. However, they seemed a bit simplistic, even optimistic at times. Having been part of a wide scale change implementation, I know how hard it can be to get the support of everyone at the company at various leadership levels. Moreover, some of the examples the book gives are weird, and need to be updated. Nonetheless, I think it's a good introductory book for learning about change management.
Franz
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, nonfiction
Reading books for work is never fun. This book was required reading for an internal training course on change management. I wish I could write a business book that described how to do create momentum for change and make millions off of sales to companies who don't embrace change nor really want to change.
Lori
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: career-library
The ADKAR model for change leadership presents a methodical and clearly understandable process to achieve successful change in both your work and home life. Assessing and coming to terms with your own readiness for the change is key to being an effective change leader.
Jenny
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
A very straightforward approach to change management. Gives concrete examples and emphasizes the importance of communication in the process. The benchmarking study put out by Prosci is also a helpful tool.
Tom Philpott
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very popular model developed by a leader in change research and consulting. Awareness; Desire; Knowledge; Ability; and, Reinforcement is easy to use and talk about with organizations and people. It draws upon earlier work by Bridges, as well as Kotter.
Peter
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty evident concepts of project execution, change management and communication. A repetitive read as with most books of its kind. There is a phrase in the book that in order to understand a concept, it has to be repeated at least 5 times... Well the book is true to this concept...
Paul
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Required reading for work. The AKDAR concept is simple to understand. Book is filled with good example of practical applications.
Vonshay Woodson
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
required to read this for work. a lot of redundancy
Kamil Salamah
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very good book that can be used as a tool to improve ones personal skills in both work or in life.
Karen Shanley
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this book is excellent!
Troy Gregory
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book could be a pamphlet. Learn the acronym ADKAR and everything else logically flows from it. The content adds little in the way of new insights. I'd have to recommend passing on this one.
Sharon
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Required reading for work. It seems the same thing was getting repeated over and over again
Erin
This was required pre-reading for a change management course at work for me. Easy read, simple text, good concrete examples.
Aaron Badgley
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Read for work.
firecracker2007
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: textbooks
This book was assigned reading for a course I took. It is an easy read. The focus on the individual as a means for motivating successful change implementation in an organization is interesting.
Emily
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Clearly explained a model for change I need to start applying in my work projects. A nice overview of the change model and good process to keep in mind.
ar.LYNE
Jan 04, 2017
  • What Is Lean Six SIGMA
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Moments of Truth
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction
  • Our Turn
  • Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework
  • The Yoga of Eating: Transcending Diets and Dogma to Nourish the Natural Self
  • The Secrets of Facilitation: The S.M.A.R.T. Guide to Getting Results with Groups
  • The Map Book
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results Through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Dual Transformation: How to Reposition Today's Business While Creating the Future
  • The Bhagavad-Gita: Krishna's Counsel in Time of War
  • The Empowered Manager: Positive Political Skills at Work
  • Fundamentals of Project Management
  • The High-Velocity Edge: How Market Leaders Leverage Operational Excellence to Beat the Competition
  • The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon: Using Speech Recognition Software to Dictate Your Book and Supercharge Your Writing Workflow (Dictation Mastery for PC and Mac)