Start by marking “All in Just One Cookie” as Want to Read:
All in Just One Cookie

All in Just One Cookie

ALL IN JUST ONE COOKIE

A tasty picture book about what goes into Grandma's chocolate chip cookies.
Published June 13th 2006 by Greenwillow Books (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about All in Just One Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All in Just One Cookie

Amber Lund
Jun 08, 2017 Amber Lund rated it it was amazing
This is just awesome.
Nicole
Mar 20, 2017 Nicole added it
This book is about a grandma getting ready for her family to come over, so she needs to start baking. I found this book to be really cute and a fun read! It goes through each of her steps and what she uses and how much of each item to make cookies for her family. Along the pages is little commentary from her cat and dog. They're documenting what she does, but not exactly how she does it. They use other words and names that make sense to them. Like for sugar, they call it white gold because it's ...more
N_kellie
Nov 10, 2010 N_kellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: info-bios

If you are looking for information about where the ingredients in cookies come from then, All in Just One Cookie is the text for you. But facts are not all you will find in this unique informational text, that begins with a cat asking, “I wonder where all this comes from. I bet I can find out!”. The book is written in a fictional story format about a grandma who makes cookies with her cat and dog. However, grandma doesn’t just mix the ingredients and tell about them, her cat and dog share resear
Breanne Sergenti
Oct 07, 2013 Breanne Sergenti rated it liked it
Non-Fiction
Grade Level: 2nd – 4th
Award(s): ALAN (2007)

Grandma is making chocolate chip cookies and her cat and dog are ready to help out! This story is written as a fictional story, yet describes facts about where each ingredient in her recipe comes from. As Grandma adds her ingredients one by one, the dog and cat help describe the history of the food and the journey the food takes to reach your table. They keep the book fun by adding humor as they are finding out information about each ingredi
Pamela
Nov 17, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd-3rd graders
SUMMARY: All in Just One Cookie / written by Susan E. Goodman; illustrated by Timothy Bush (2006) -- Grandma prepares to make chocolate chip cookies while Cat and Dog research all the ingredients. Includes recipe for chocolate chip cookies. REVIEW: This is a wonderful story about making cookies and where all the ingredients being used come from. The illustrations show Grandma baking the cookies as Cat and Dog are researching the history of the food items. Each ingredient has its own two-page spr ...more
Mike
May 16, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered where your sugar comes from? Your flour? How about your baking soda (spoiler: it's mined from underground in Wyoming)? And what exactly does the baking powder do anyway?

This fun book takes you and your child on a guided tour through the ingredients of a chocolate chip cookie, explaining the origin and purpose of each ingredient. With a frame story of a Grandma and her pets getting ready for company, there's a good source of humor as well.

If your child loves to ask 'why'
Mary
Feb 07, 2017 Mary rated it liked it
Describes the origins of the ingredients of everyone's favorite: chocolate chip cookies. Pleasant illustrations will invite readers to explore. Unfortunately, most students will not read the small print with interesting information about butter (it takes 21 gallons of milk to make 1 lb. of butter), flour, salt, etc. unless required/assigned. Nor is there much plot to carry the story along.
Annette Ruane
Dec 02, 2013 Annette Ruane rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was pretty unique in the aspect that it is an informational book with the theme of cookie ingredients. I think this book is relatable to most people because most people enjoy cookies or at least have tried a cookie. I like this book because it tells how each ingredient is grown. Where it is grown, where it comes from and how it is made. I think that after reading this children may be more aware of the environment and how much we depend on it. I would guess that most children think that ...more
Cassandra Ball
Oct 12, 2010 Cassandra Ball rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
I read this book for my informational topic. I thought that it was super cute and very informative. First off, it presented an idea to children that they would be interested in, chocolate chip cookies. But, instead of just a book about chocolate chip cookies it went much deeper and provided even some information that I did not know. The child like characters such as the dog and his funny comments is something that children could relate to and laugh at. It would be a great book to do an activity ...more
Jackie
May 05, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
Grandma, Kitty, and a delightful beagle decide to bake some chocolate cookies. This colorfully illustrated non-fiction book tells us about all the places all over the world that our goods come from...vanilla from Madagascar, chocolate from West Africa, Ecuador, and Dominican Republic, wheat from Kansas, Eggs and Butter from our local farmers, baking soda from Wyoming, and sugar from Hawaii, just to name a few.

This book is written in a kid-friendly format and they will delight in the expressions
Dorothea
May 13, 2009 Dorothea rated it liked it
Shelves: educational
For someone who has liked chocolate chip cookies since she was a toddler, this was a fun book, describing where each of the ingredients come from and how they are created. I definitely learned a lot. I only gave it three stars because it's not a book I would read over and over as there really isn't a story line beyond baking the cookies, but it is worth checking out of the library and reading once to your older kids so that they have a little more appreciation of what it takes to make something ...more
Logan
Dec 21, 2010 Logan rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, picture-book
grandma is making chocolate chip cookies and her curious cat and dog want to know where each ingredient comes from. Each double-page spread covers one ingredient. This was *almost* too many facts for Logan, who doesn't like to be lectured or "taught." A couple of times when I could tell I was about to lose him, I'd just summarize what was left on the page and move on. Still, I think he got the idea that something as humble and prosaic as a cookie involves the work and resources of many countries ...more
Moesha Crawford
Nov 01, 2016 Moesha Crawford rated it really liked it
This book is and Informational How to and Discovery text. This book takes children into how exactly to make a choclate chip cookie and how they are made as well. They go into every ingredients on what is in a cookie and explains how those ingredients are made as well, for instance chocolate chips, flour and baking soda. This book is very discriptive and explains to children more than how to bake cookie, but what you are consuming within the ingredients of a cookie. This informational text brings ...more
Heather
Mar 04, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
great explanation of where all the ingredients of chocolate chip cookies come from - definitely makes you think about everything involved into making one little cookie. Definitely a book to revisit again & again as the kids grow. I learned alot too.

edited to add - not my favorite to read but my son keeps wanting to read again.
Mary
May 23, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
A great book for kids that are interested in baking but probably don't know where all the ingredients come from or how they look in their original form. Use it in storytime by letting the kids pick one ingredient and telling them about that one ingredient. Amazing information told in an easy to understand format.
Courtney
Mar 10, 2008 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-kids-books
This was such a good book. It is the story of a woman who is making a batch of cookies. Every time she adds an ingredient they go into a brief description of what and where the ingredient comes from. But don't let that scare you off, it was a fun book that my 5 year old just LOVED. Also it includes the recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Did you know vanilla come from an orchid??
Like How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the USA, this book shows where the ingredients come from to make a familiar treat. This book has more information than the two other books, but less of an engaging story. I still enjoyed the pairing of facts and history with the simple cookie making. Cookie recipe included.
Joshua Gage
Apr 28, 2016 Joshua Gage rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
My daughter read this to me for a school project. It was a great introduction into the idea of food science and history. It detailed the harvesting and manufacturing of every ingredient in a batch of chocolate chip cookies. We were very entertained.
Alyssia Saldana
Dec 01, 2016 Alyssia Saldana rated it liked it
All in Just One Cookie by Susan E. Goodman is a children's book that explains how to make cookies. It puts a fun twist on an informational text. The book includes an actual recipe for cookies in a way that can be understood by children.
Emily
Jun 11, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
There is definitely an organic trend to this book. But it was interesting to learn how many pounds of milk it takes to make one pound of butter (21 or roughly 2 1/2 gallons). Baking Soda was my favorite, I had no idea where it came from, I'd never even thought about it before.
Ridgewood Public Library Youth Services
A quirky look at where all the ingredients that make up a chocolate chip cookie come from and how they are made: from processing sugar and cocoa to hens laying eggs and mining of baking soda. Great for curious kids or bakers alike. - Brittin (RPL)
Andrea Wilkinson
Nov 12, 2012 Andrea Wilkinson rated it really liked it
This is a fun, informational book on the details that make up each ingredient in chocolate chip cookies, e.g., eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla, chocolate, etc. The recipe for chocolate chip cookies in included at the end!
Stephen
Oct 10, 2011 Stephen rated it really liked it
So much in just one book! Science (botany,chemistry, geology), geography, and a fun, relateable story for children.

Laramort
Sep 10, 2010 Laramort rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My son loved this book. Who knew where baking soda comes from! We had to make cookies together afterwards though.
Marcie
Could pair with How to make an Apple Pie and see the world.
Dahl Kids
Feb 20, 2010 Dahl Kids rated it it was amazing
Awesome way to learn about where our food comes from--at least the food that goes into making a cookie! Very fun concept.
Melinda Miller
An informational book about where all the ingredients from chocolate chip cookies come from.
Bethe
Jun 25, 2013 Bethe rated it liked it
Bookaday #33. The process and history of cookie ingredients are very accessible to young readers. I never knew where baking soda came from! Hope it is still in print to order for school.
Karen
Dec 18, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
Too much for our toddler, but a fun book about where all of the ingredients for a cookie originate!
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014