Start by marking “Who Cloned the President? (Capital Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Who Cloned the President? (Capital Mysteries #1)

Who Cloned the President? (Capital Mysteries #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  693 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
KC Corcoran always watches the news. So it’s no surprise that she notices right away when the president starts acting funny on TV. He’s stiff and awkward. He’s even signing papers with the wrong hand. There’s only one explanation–the president has been cloned! And it’s up to KC and her best friend, Marshall, to save him.
Published October 7th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Who Cloned the President?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Cloned the President?

Amara Tanith
I cannot possibly communicate to you how much disappointment this book brought me.

I adore Ron Roy's A to Z Mysteries series, and I have for as long as I can remember. The Super Specials are still being released, which I didn't realize until recently, so that's thrilling for me. A little piece of my childhood is still ongoing, and that's great.

He has also created Calendar Mysteries, a spin-off of A to Z Mysteries for younger readers, focusing on the A to Z characters' younger siblings. I've read
Rebecca
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
KC Corcoran and her best friend Marshall Li "save the day" when something as simple as the use of the wrong hand solves the mystery of "nobody-even-knows- the-president-is-missing". Using ingenuity and the element of surprise (spiders, no less), the two young sleuths brave the White House at night to rescue the leader of the free world.

Delightful, easy reading!
Nora
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who cloned the president is about Kc and Marshal thinking that the president was cloned because on the internet it said president Thornton is against human cloning and scientists wanting to.
Alex Melnick
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I would have adored this series as a kid. I want to be KC Corcoran. This is the first in a series of sci-fi/mystery stories set in DC—from the author of the "A to Z Mysteries". Ages 6 and up.
Sue
#20
Title: Who Cloned The President? (Captial Mysteries #1)
Author: Ron Roy
Genre: Young Adult Mystery
Challenges: 101 Books in 1001 Days Challenge, A to Z Reading Challenge, 2009 Support Your Local Library, 20 Books in 2009, Pages Read Challenge, 2009 YA Challenge, Spring 2009 Challenge, Summer Vacation Reading Challenge 2009,

Rating: 4/5
No. of Pages: 80
Published: 2001
From the back: KC Corcoran always watches the news. So it’s no surprise that she notices right away when the president starts acting
Luke Ewell
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd-grade
KC is doing a report for President Thorton and she finds out that he is left handed. She wants to be a reporter when she grows up and likes to watch the news. One day, while watching TV, she notices that the President is signing with his right hand. She thinks someone has cloned the President. He does not like people to be cloned. KC and her best friend Marshall sneak into the Capitol, a mad scientist has cloned the president. The next day the President is going to make a big speech, he was goin ...more
Andrew Hill
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i really liked the book it starts with someone looking up the presedent and they found out that the president was left handed. At that same time a commercial came on and it was about the president signing papers with his right hand. So they assume that the president has been cloned. They want to know so they get a tour of the white house and one of the kids brought spiders. He was suppost to throw the spiders on the signal the signal was neck. The kid somehow got the word into a sentence and the ...more
Amy
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-sfic
These are really easy (for me) books to read. Part of the Capital Mysteries series, this is book #1. It starts out when KC and her friend, Marshall are assigned presidents to research for reports. KC gets President Thornton (current president). When she gets home, she starts to do some research and learns that he is against cloning and is left handed. While watching him on TV that night, she witnesses him acting funny; he's stiff and awkward. While signing documents, he uses the wrong hand. From ...more
Rachael
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
My son is a big fan both of the A to Z mysteries and presidents, so I thought this series would be perfect for him. However, this book is completely unrealistic and implausible. It really bothered me. Certainly the A to Z mysteries aren't the MOST realistic books (in my opinion), but at least I'm not constantly groaning through them and stopping to tell him how ridiculous it is. I think HE enjoyed the book, though, and we have read the next two, which are slightly better. I was really hoping for ...more
Mathew White
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this series for my student in Japan. I'm always interested in finding children's literature that ESL learners can enjoy as well. I've had such positive responses from students that I went into town and picked up a second set of the books so there would be more available. I had fun reading it and noticed some wonderful points for discussion if a class wanted to read it together. There are tons of great expressions and even paralinguistic elements we use in everyday life (eg. "She rais ...more
Dolly
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoyed the "A to Z Mysteries," so we were excited to start a new series by the same author. As an added bonus, we expect to move to the National Capital Region in the next year, so it's a perfect time to start familiarizing our girls with this area. These stories seem to be a bit shorter than the "A to Z Mysteries," and despite the 70+ pages, we read it all in one night. The narrative was exciting, though highly implausible in these times. Our girls enjoyed this story and we are looki ...more
Pam
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I do wish this had a different cover; however the premise is interesting and it is a good chapter book for young readers who want a bit of action. I had never read a Ron Roy, so I wanted to quickly see what his style was like. It's comparable to the Magic Tree House Series.
Lilly
Mar 20, 2015 added it
Who ever thought that human cloning was possible, well in Who Cloned the President it is possible. One great thing about this book is how hard it is to stop reading it. Another good thing about it is how mysterious it is. They don't tell you who did it until the end of the book. The last thing that I think is great about the book is how laughable and chill everyone is even though their president got cloned. In conclusion, this is a very good mystery book to read.
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
KC Corcoran notices something is odd with the President on TV. He uses the wrong hand to sign papers and is not acting right. She realizes he must have been replaced by a clone. She ropes her friend Marshall into sneaking into the White House to solve the mystery.

My boys loved the inventive use of spiders and how the kids saved the day. They also enjoyed how the kids were rewarded at the end. I think they would definitely enjoy reading more of this series.
Valerie (He Said Books Or Me)
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is one I read based off a recommendation from my niece. She says she really loves these books and I needed a different genre for the #Genrethon readathon. I enjoyed the fact that the story was set in Washington DC. It was a cute story from a kids perspective about the White House and the president. I enjoyed it.

Sam
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: my brothers
Recommended to Sam by: Kate
It was fun when KC and her friend Marshall found out that the President was cloned. And then they had a trick that they wanted the one who was pretending to be the President to go into a room. KC told Marshall to lock the door when he got in so they could capture him and untie the person who was in the chair. The person in the chair was the real President.
Sophie Muller
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I had only read the beginning of this book before having the whole series bought, and I'm really pleased that the end was as good as the beginning. The two main characters work well together and the storyline is really captivating! I highly recommend this series if you like mysteries!
Kristen
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, chapter-books
This is kind of a silly story, and I'm not sure if the intended audience (kids who are just beginning to get comfortable with chapter books - 2nd-grade-ish) will have a good enough understanding of cloning to get what's going on. I felt lukewarm about it.
Miss Ryoko
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read this book to see if it was a book I could read to my kids at school. Luckily it is! The book is your standard short chapter book for children. Nothing real special about it. It was an okay read.
Andrea
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this was a fun read about two fourth graders who notice something weird about the president. They go on to save him and the country, which is a little unrealistic, but fun anyway. They use a clever method for distracting their tour guide inside the White House.
Ashleigh Miller
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chapter-books
This book was cute but I would not use it in my classroom and I would not every read it again. It was silly and students might like to read it on their free time but that would be the only use in the classroom.
Christina
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
We are starting this series as a read aloud for the boys since they enjoyed Ron Roy's A to Z series so much last year. While not plausible for adults, this plot seems believable and also enjoyable for the younger set.
Gabriel Dubransky
K.J. and Marshall saw that the clone didn't write with his left hand like the president. They put the president in a room in the white house and he had tape over his mouth and ropes around him. The president let the clone out of jail.
Marlee
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book with my children (ages 10 and 7). They both really enjoyed it. For an adult, the story was a bit simple and silly. But, sharing it with children, it was a lot of fun. We will definitely continue the series.
Beth Anne
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-aloud, 2015
Read aloud to Emma and Will. The same author as the A to Z mysteries we love, but the plot of this one was so ridiculously unbelievable. We may try book two in this series, or may just stay with the series we enjoy.
Katie Fitzgerald
No review.
Luca
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
That one was really weird.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
The president is cloned but two 4th graders save him. L. A.
Caleb
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
It was ok. It wasn't my favorite.
Alicia
A little bit about DC in this innocent mystery series. Heroine female.
  • Knit Two Together (Chicks with Sticks, #2)
  • Frog, Where Are You?
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln
  • Dear Laura: Letters from Children to Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Dog Den Mystery (Jack Russell Dog Detective, #1)
  • The Case of the Christmas Snowman (Jigsaw Jones Mystery, No. 2)
  • Mummies Don't Coach Softball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #21)
  • Nate the Great and the Big Sniff
  • Emily the Emerald Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #24; Jewel Fairies, #3)
  • Ticket Trouble (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #10)
  • The Buried Bones Mystery (Ziggy and the Black Dinosaurs, #1)
  • The Temple of the Ruby of Fire (Geronimo Stilton, #14)
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

Capital Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Kidnapped at the Capital (Capital Mysteries #2)
  • The Skeleton in the Smithsonian (Capital Mysteries #3)
  • A Spy in the White House (Capital Mysteries #4)
  • Who Broke Lincoln's Thumb? (Capital Mysteries, #5)
  • Fireworks at the FBI (Capital Mysteries #6)
  • Trouble at the Treasury (Capital Mysteries #7)
  • Mystery at the Washington Monument (Capital Mysteries #8)
  • A Thief at the National Zoo (Capital Mysteries #9)
  • The Election-Day Disaster (Capital Mysteries #10)
  • The Secret at Jefferson's Mansion (Capital Mysteries, #11)