Start by marking “The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents (A & C Black Musicals)” as Want to Read:
The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents (A & C Black Musicals)

The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents

(Discworld #28)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  35,902 ratings  ·  1,488 reviews
Terry Pratchett's ingeniously upended tale of the Pied Piper, has a roving band of highly intelligent rats as its heroic protagonists. Matthew Holmes' script and songs capture the plot in a captivating musical for children to perform and everyone to enjoy.
Published 2011 by A. & C. Black (first published November 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents

·  35,902 ratings  ·  1,488 reviews

Start your review of The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents (A & C Black Musicals)
Lyn
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For children?

Maybe, but there are some dark issues going on and dealt with from the master himself.

Terry Pratchett’s first Discworld “story” designating it as written for children (followed by the wonderful Tiffany Aching sub-series) but I would submit this is YA territory, no warm fuzzy Disney moments here.

First of all, if there was a film this reminded me of it would be the 1995 Chris Noonan film Babe. In this very good movie, a young piglet confronts the contrast and distinction of animals as
Dan Schwent
Maurice, a talking cat, leads a group of talking mice and a stupid-looking kid into a town called Bad Blintz looking for one last score with their pied piper scam. Only Bad Blintz has troubles of its own...

Terry Pratchett really knows how to write a kids book. I would have devoured this thing when I was a lad. Maurice and the rats are good characters, as is Keith, the aforementioned stupid-looking kid. The origin of Maurice and the rats' intelligence was fairly well done. Hell, it's a fantasy
Ivan
Pratchett at his best.

This is his first YA Discworld book although I think that label is put more for marketing purposes. This is one of his darker works and like all good Discworld book there is so much going on beneath the surface. Behind there is story of clash of generations, finding one identity, spirituality and religion and Pratchett's realistic (or pessimistic if you are an optimist ) view of humanity and much more and his signiture cynical humor .

5 stars aren't enoug, that is why we
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

I remember being given a copy of Reaper Man
Melindam
"The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes."

"I suppose there is a Big Cat in the Sky, isn't there?"
"I'M SURPRISED AT YOU, MAURICE. OF COURSE THERE ARE NO CAT GODS. THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH LIKE . . . WORK."

I am not sure why I did not read this book before now. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I never found the tale of the Pied Piper of Hamelin very appealing when I was a child.

In retrospect, I should have known
Trish
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first Discworld novels I've ever read, the German translation back then though. I'm very pleased to report that the reading experience was even better this time - partly because the original is always better, partly because I now understood certain side-stabs and references, which was very rewarding.

It's part of The Folklore of Discworld, a version of the Pied Pauper. Maurice, a cat, along with a number of rats has become intelligent to a point where they've learnt human
Patrick
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Re-Read this recently while traveling. It's interesting to see Pratchett's first run at writing something officially YA.

It's a good read. Smart. Funny. And pleasantly stand-alone. It's easy to see why he won the Carnegie award for it.

But in my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to his later YA books that feature Tiffany Aching: Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, etc.

The Wee Free Men

pat
Zitong Ren
This happened to be my first Pratchett book and why I did not love it, I still found myself greatly enjoying it whilst I read it. I do have this hunch where I think that absurdist fantasy(is that what you call it?) is probably not my thing. Whether I will like it more the more kind of these books I read or not, I’ll have to see but compared to what is considered as ‘normal’ fantasy, this is really far out there as many people have already noted.

It is full of talking rats and a cat and also some
Melki
Maurice watched them argue again. Humans, eh? Think they're lords of creation. Not like us cats. We know we are. Ever see a cat feed a human? Case proven.

Maurice and his savvy, talking rodents arrive in town, ready once again to pull the old "Pied Piper" scheme. They scare the bejeezus out of the townsfolk, nibble on the comestibles and widdle everywhere. The citizens waste no time hiring Keith to play his magic flute, rats follow him out of the village, everybody splits the money and VOILA! -
Rick Riordan
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another author I was slow in finding, Pratchett has a wicked and beautifully twisted sense of humor. I would call this book a recrafting of the Pied Piper story, but that really doesn't even begin to describe it. All the characters, human or otherwise, are wonderfully drawn, and the story is well worth your time. Sheesh, this guy is prolific, too. I need to get back to work now!
lucky little cat
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who trusts my judgment, plus devotees of cuddly/ironic Muppet Show-caliber humor
Recommended to lucky little cat by: Lyn 's fab review reminded me to reread this one
IF (like me) you've always been impatient with the Rincewind-heavy volumes of Sir Terry's oeuvre, you're in luck.

Civilization begins with the tiniest steps

Maurice is blessedly short on fart jokes* and long on Pratchett's brand of homespun philosophical irony.

Maurice is a madly inventive retelling of The Pied Piper, featuring ragged-eared, fast-talking tomcat Maurice as the brains of the outfit. His cronies the rats can talk too, thanks to their hazardous-magical-waste diet amid the trash-heaps
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, 2019-shelf
Re-read 2019

This may be billed as a YA novel by the redoubtable Pratchett, but I'm just going to shrug. It's fun and funny and I will always look at this novel as a sly reference to Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep, including multiple minds linked together to make a full intelligence. No, not wolves. RATS. Such a lovely image.

But no, this isn't all this is.

Talking rats and one very special talking cat and a stupid-looking boy con their way through Discworld. What more could anyone want?
Mariel
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crispin Glover
Recommended to Mariel by: Michael Jackson
What was up with that bullshit message of Ratatouille? (I hope I'm spelling that correctly. I'm gonna look so dumb! In my defense, I've always been the pickiest of eaters.) That whole "Don't steal from humans!" thing. They were rats! What did they care if humans stuck flags and paper umbrellas in every little thing? They shouldn't. The rat had as much right to saffron as stupid Lugini did.

The rodents in Terry Prachett's Maurice and his Educated Rodents are - D'oh! Sorry, Maurice! The AMAZING
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2019.

Maurice is an intelligent talking cat that has masterminded a scheme where his gang of intelligent talking rats and a human boy go from town-to-town implementing a plague of rats and then having the boy pipe them out of town for a fee. The group arrive at the town of Bad Blintz for one last job only to find a town that already has a rat problem. A very odd one.

This is only my second read of this story since soon after its
Jakk Makk
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Talk to the paw, because the whiskers aren't listening. Overdrive has informed me that I listened to the entirety of this. I say, it's debatable.

Here's why Pratchett is a miss with me. I want to experience the story as a character. This requires a deep point of view. But Pratchett always does this (to the tune of Row Your Boat):

Tell, tell, tell, the tale,
tell the fricking tale.
If you want to be shown,
you can go to Hale.

Yes, one minute you are a star whistling through the cosmos, the next, a cat
Carolyn
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Terry Pratchett's first YA Discworld novel and as to be expected it is a lot of fun.It's based on the Pied Piper story with Maurice the talking cat, a band of talking rats (they all ate something strange at the dump) and a stupid looking kid who plays the flute. They go from village to village scamming the villagers into paying for the piper to rid the town of rats who are running amok, widdling on the cheese and swimming in the cream. The rats are very cute with names they've taking ...more
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
I have read this book at least 15 times, I swear! Or even more. It is officially the number one book I have read the most out of every book I have read. Which is amazing, because when I got it, I didn't even expect for me to like it that much. Surprise, surprise. I loved it.

My favorite characters were, Amazing Maurice, Peaches, stupid looking kid/Keith, Darktan, Dangerous Beans, and Sardines.

And the plot. It was an amazing retelling. One of the best. I also don't really like the Pied Piper
Alice
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I have definitely learned a lot about rats. I have mixed feelings about this book. Terry Pratchett is usually SO GOOD at mixing light-hearted silliness with a more macabre subject matter, but this time something felt a little… off. The rats are great at first, a nice blend of ratty grossness and the angst that comes with sudden enlightenment… or puberty. The rat characters are well-developed and as authentic as a bunch of talking rats can be. Maurice the cat is also a wonderful character.

Martin
Was the Pied Piper a true story?

Poor Cinder- oops I mean Malicia...
‘I expect you’re very keen to know all about me,’ said Malicia. ‘I expect you’re just too polite to ask.’

‘Gosh, yes,’ said Maurice.

‘Well, you probably won’t be surprised to know that I’ve got two dreadful step-sisters,’ said Malicia. ‘And I have to do all the chores!’

‘Gosh, really,’ said Maurice, wondering if there were any more fish-heads and, if there were any more fish-heads, whether they were worth all this.

‘Well, most of the
MB (What she read)
12/9/08 first read: I find it amazing how many important concepts Terry Pratchett manages to pack into this little 278 page book!

7/22/13: Reread. Love the way the rats develop their civilization: thinking, writing, teaching, learning, religion, protecting their future, and that of those weaker than themselves. Even hints of suffrage for females. Best of all is Darktan (and others) learning the responsibilities of leadership. As always with Pratchett, simple and fun--but deep down so very very
YouKneeK
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents is the first young adult Discworld book. It was a short book, and a cute story, but I thought it was pretty substantial in terms of both plot and messages. The plot was certainly more substantial than many of his adult Discworld books. I didn’t think there was quite as much humor, but it had its funny moments.

The basic premise is that some of the rats in Ankh-Morpork, after eating magical rubbish dumped by the residents of the Unseen University, have
Wastrel
A children's take on Discworld - but while that may mean it's simpler, it doesn't mean it's not just as dark. Not ideal for very young children, those prone to nightmares, or those who don't like rats...

For adult fans, it's a pleasant return to some elements of Pratchett's earlier writing (particularly the Bromeliad), with all the polish and sophistication of his later work. Doesn't read as any more child-oriented than many of his early Discworld novels, like Equal Rites or Mort - less sly
Cory Hughart
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 'young adult' novel? I think Terry must have gotten fed up with the run-of-the-mill children's books and decided to do a sort of parody of them, one where the characters constantly make references to the fact that real life is not like 'Mr. Bunnsy Has an Adventure'.

This is definitely a novel that teens can digest, but there are some parts that are even more grim and depressing than many of Pratchett's 'adult' books. I am reading the Discworld series in order of publication, and I was
Leona  Carstairs
This is one of my younger sister's favorite books of all time, but sadly I did not love it as much as she does. It just wasn't my type of book and I did not find it amazing, more like very average. (But not completely terrible).

My biggest problem was that I was bored a lot. I did like Maurice and the rats, but I hated Malicia. SHE WAS SO ANNOYING. Too bad she didn't die or something. I wanted to strangle her.

I think that certain people will like/love this book but it was not for me and I wasn't
Rasjel
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The Amazing Pratchett and His Gleeful Renditions

"Humans, eh? Think they're lords of creation. Not like us cats. We know we are. Ever see a cat feed a human? Case proven."

"'If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.'
'And what if your story doesn't work?'
'You keep changing it until you find one that does.'"
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been looking forward to this one, the first YA Discworld novel, and probably the best despite not offering the publisher's the chance to print money by turning in to a standalone YA series - that would come later of course. By riffing on the Pied Piper legend/fairy tale Pratchett is playing it safe, using the readers prior knowledge to introduce his own sense of playful storytelling and humour, as well as allowing himself to softly broach his pet subjects of fate vs free will, ...more
Petra
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feared once again that this would be another Pratchett book I'll have to give less than 5 stars. Alas, I was wrong and boy, am I glad. The first 2/5 was a little boring, or maybe it was so because I had to read it in really small chunks because I was travelling a lot over the past three days. But then, it got great. It got deep, complicated, with an unexpected plot twist, and once again Sir Terry taught us that both the greatest sin and beauty of man is humanity. Because, as usual, it was ...more
Agnė
3.5 out of 5

Very metafictive, smart, even wise, and funny. A delightful read!

Also, Stephen Briggs's audiobook narration is brilliant :)
ellis
i didn't think this book would go as hard as it did. i don't know why i expected this, having read terry's other books.
Sarah Mcleod
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I have a confession to make which is a little embarrassing really. My being 34 years of age, and this is the first Terry Pratchett book I have read. There is said it. Phew, even if I did have to borrow it.
I did like this book, a story of Maurice, a talking cat, and lots of rats, some good rats and some not so good rats. This is well written, with some good characters, but I did have trouble deciding when the book was set. I think that was a brilliant introductory book, and does make me

• Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush
  • The Secret of the Night
  • The Happiness Project
  • Доброключения и рассуждения Луция Катина
  • The Ketamine Papers: Science, Therapy, and Transformation
  • Hammer and Anvil (Sisters of Battle #2)
  • How to Be an Illustrator
  • We Can Get Them For You Wholesale
  • Devlok with Devdutt Pattanaik 3
  • Starship Traveller (Fighting Fantasy, Reissues 1, #4)
  • Have Space Suit—Will Travel
  • An Elegy for Amelia Johnson

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels,

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.” 673 likes
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.” 352 likes