Start by marking “The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  228 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Since its inception in 1996, Stone Brewing Co. has been the fastest growing brewery in the country—Beer lovers gravitate to its unique line-up which includes favorites such as Stone IPA and Arrogant Bastard Ale. This insider's guide focuses on the history of Stone Brewing Co., and shares homebrew recipes for many of its celebrated beers including Stone Old Guardian Barley ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published August 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Craft of Stone Brewing Co., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.

Clif Brittain
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beer geeks, San Diegans
Shelves: beer
Don't read this if you are happy with your Coors/Bud/Miller Lite. You are not worthy of my opinion.

I'm a big fan of hoppy beers and Stone is probably the boldest brewery when it comes to hoppy beer. I am still amused by the label of Arrogant Bastard Ale. Koch, Wagner and company are unrelenting in their scorn of industrial beer and Arrogant Bastard is the perfect antagonist to Bud.

Humility is a quality absent from this book. I get a sense it is in scarce supply in any aspect of the Stone operati
Koen
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beer
Fairly interesting read. I read a digital version and i understand the hard copy is a nicely designed coffee table book. I missed out on those characteristics.

As for the text, the book is split up in different sections which were of different interest to me. The part dealing with the history of Stone brewing, told by all people involved but mostly Greg Koch, was of most interest to me. This part was fairly interesting but quite concise. I would have liked them to delve a bit deeper into this. (C
Benjamin Duffy
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, e-books
The book is broken into five parts: one, a history of Stone, as retold by people who were there; two, a detailed description of the elements of beer, including malt, hops, and yeast; three, a set of recipes from their brewpub/bistro; four, a description of every beer they've ever released, including one-off brews; and five, a set of detailed recipes and instructions for brewing several of their beers at home.

The first part was entertaining and fascinating, the food recipes look great, and the be
Kevin
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great book about entrepreneurial vision and how one can succeed even when that vision goes against the overwhelming tide of the majority. In fact how it may be the case that to be truly successful, monetarily and otherwise, it may be necessary to do so.

Some great nuggets of beer history and information if you are a beer nerd like me. There are short descriptions of each of Stone's brews, a brief history and tasting notes. In addition to the story of Stone, much of this book is recipes for home
Tony Sannicandro
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book about the Stone Brewing Company, the Craft Beer Industry and the people behind these wonderful brews. The story shows just what dedicated people who like to work hard and have fun can do. Quality, Fun and giving people more for the buck are trademarks of SBC and this book. Recipes for food from their bistro are included as are recipes for their beers taken down to home brew size. The only thing that would have made this book better was if it came with some Stone Smoked Porter! It wou ...more
Alice
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is part Stone story, part encyclopedia, part cookbook, and part brewbook (that's like a cookbook with beer recipes). If you're a Stone fan, it's a great read and it can turn you into a walking encyclopedia of random Stone facts. If you're at all interested in the history of the craft brew movement in the US, it's not a stand-alone guide, but it's a good representation of Stone's part in the story. Plus the recipes are divine.
Gary
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing little book! I have been a Stone Fan since they first started up in San Marcos and I was glad to see and read about all the early history. Great beer ideas, interesting recipes from the Bistro.

I loved the chapter on the April Fools beers, back when he had time Greg used to send out the weirdest April Fools e mails. You never knew if he was serious or not. But, this book is serious.

The best pairing I can think of is a bottle of AB while enjoying this book...
Jeffrey Lyons
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable walk through the history of one of the quintessential American craft breweries. Always entertaining and frequently more insightful than I expected. Great book for a newcomer to the craft beer world due to the sections about how to brew, food pairings, serving and cellaring tips, etc.

I would welcome a full length, in depth account of the Stone story in the vein of Part One of this book.
Matt Heavner
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you like beer, or especially if you are a brewer, this is a fun history of Stone, with a few great beer and food recipes. I borrowed this from the library, and now it is going on my gift wish list! I'd love to try all the food recipes and several of the beer recipes. At the top of my list are the variations on the Stone Smoked Porter. But which variation is hard to call-chipotle or vanilla? Both sound great!!
Mayumi
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drink
This is my favorite beer brand. I enjoyed reading about their story. I'm happy to have a list of Stone Brewing's past and current releases. Can't wait to see what they come up with in the future. The recipes sound delicious. I'll be making the Arrogant Bastard Onion Rings in the near future. A few of their beer recipes were included too.
Gingerwolverine
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brewing, 2013
An interesting book very much from the perspective of the guys who set up, run and make Stone the fine brewer they are today. What made it worthwhile for me was the inclusion of beer recipes for some of their best beers with the exception of Arrogant Bastard Ale (and variants!) which remains a closely guarded secret.
Andrew
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great job of diving the content into unique sections. Thought the how to serve beer section was very interesting. After reading a few craft brewing startup books, this one was enjoyable but not as compelling as the Dogfish Head, Lagunitas, and Brooklyn Brewery stories.
Joel
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A big beautiful book full of pictures and anecdotal stories. Clever, funny at times, and slightly informative - not particularly big on depth, but a nice coffee-table book if you have beer loving friends.
Tom
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a homebrewer I was glad to see a whole section of recipes for Stone's beers. One glaring omission was their flagship "Arrogrant Bastard" IPA. If it weren't for the recipes in the back end I would have thought this was a pamphlet you got during your brewery tour.
Sara
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mildly interesting to flip through, but was a lot more 'meh' than I was expecting. The author also came across.... a little like Stone's signature beer.

Nice of them to include a bunch of their recipes, though.
Patrick
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy read about brewing, Stone Brewing in particular, and it includes home brewing recipes of most of their beers as well as beer-related recipes from their restaurant's kitchen. What other brewery do you know that gives away its trade secrets like this? They practice what they preach.
James Taylor
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly interesting look at one of the bigger craft brewers from start to current. Koch is Koch, but an editor keeps him in check. Delightful recipes for both beer and food!
Greg
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational to say the least...
Paul
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Part 1 is bravura. The rest is delectation.
Derek Springer
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brewing
A good read if you're a fan of Stone (though you have to like parenthetical comments). Really worth it for the food/beer recipes.
Michael Larkin
Very good food and home brew recipes but I was hoping for more of a narrative on the beginning of Stone and more biography on Greg and Steve.
Richard Gombert
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Wine Wars
  • IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale
  • Wild Brews: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition
  • Brewed Awakening: Behind the Beers and Brewers Leading the World's Craft Brewing Revolution
  • The Homebrewer's Companion
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
  • The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die
  • Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink
  • A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine
  • How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time
  • The Art and Craft of Coffee: An Enthusiast's Guide to Selecting, Roasting, and Brewing Exquisite Coffee
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
  • Culinary Tea: More Than 150 Recipes Steeped in Tradition from Around the World
  • Brewing Better Beer: Master Lesson for Advanced Homeowners
  • The Bartender's Bible: 1001 Mixed Drinks and Everything You Need to Know to Set Up Your Bar