Start by marking “Oliver's Story (Love Story, #2)” as Want to Read:
Oliver's Story (Love Story, #2)

Oliver's Story (Love Story #2)

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  5,191 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
Oliver Barrett IV found his true soulmate when he met and fell in love with Jenny Cavilleri. Their love was magical, exhilarating . . . and though heartbreakingly brief, it was enough to last a lifetime. Or so Oliver told himself.

Two years have passed since Jenny was taken from him, and Oliver truly believes he will never love again. Then one day, Marcie—beautiful and myst
Published June 26th 2012 by Avon (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Oliver's Story, please sign up.

Meghana
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Oliver, whose true love Jenny died in Love Story, goes through the motions here. But since True Love can only come once in one's life and one must be permanently scarred when it's lost, he will be miserable forever. The end.
TK421
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
Some people will disagree with me, but I thought there never should have been a sequel to LOVE STORY. That novel was a perfect entity unto itself. Sure there were unanswered questions, but that was part of its charm. OLIVER'S STORY in my opinion does a disservice to the overly romantic Love Story.

Some time has passed since the reader has last heard from Oliver. His life has moved on, sort of. He still dreams about his late wife, who wouldn't? Right? But when Oliver does meet a woman, and does h
Nikita
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
Love Story took me by surprise. I didn't know it would end just LIKE THAT!!! But then, I was actually satisfied with that ending and I found the book so amazingly perfect. And then, this book came out. I wasn't aware that there would be a sequel to Love Story. And since I loved Love Story, no one could stop me from reading this one, even if I know that Jenny wouldn't be in it.

***Contains a FEW SPOILERS from this point onwards.
And so I read. I wasn't sure what to expect, just that Oliver's still
Tanya
Jul 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Let me start by saying I did like Love Story. So you really can’t hold this against me.

I hated this book. HATED it. And I very rarely hate a book. Sure, some books fail to live up to my expectations, some are just disappointing after being hyped up and receiving rave reviews, and some just aren’t my kind of books. With Oliver’s Story, the problem was this : it was plain terrible.

I’m reviewing this book a week after reading it in the hope that some of the anger would have subsided. I can’t say th
Rossy
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
As Cher said: "Do you believe in life after love?"
Oliver believes in existing, but he's not living anymore without Jenny. Will he be able to love again? Will he be able to overcome the grieve of losing his true love?
Farah
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seperti yang sudah gue prediksikan, buku kedua ini jauh lebih berkesan di gue daripada buku pertamanya. Sayang, gue masih cinta sama gaya bahasa terjemahan Bapak Hendarto Setiadi di buku pertama. *angkat topi*

Mari kita mulai spoilernya disini.
(view spoiler)
Aditi
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-reviews
"True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked.”- Erich Segal, Love Story.
Yes Love Story ended off with Jenny's death leaving Oliver miserable and lonely for the rest of his life.

In Love Story, we saw how perfectly Oliver and Jennifer fell in love with each other, and even more perfect when they started living together. But not for very long, Oliver's soul mate, Jenny was taken away from him. This book was in very possible way amazing and
Sandra Bašić
Još jedan od onih bespotrebnih nastavaka... Kad sam pročitala Ljubavnu priču (Love Story) uopće me nije vuklo da dalje saznam što je bilo s Oliverom. Postojali su jednom Oliver i Jenny i ona je otišla... Meni je to bilo dovoljno.
Alvina
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baca buku ini verasa muda banget gw. Berhubung ngga ngerti kek gimana maksud kejadian kejadian internasional yang mengiringi ceritanya..
Seema Khan
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
If it wasn't for this last line-

"sometimes I ask myself what I would be if Jenny were alive. And I answer: I would be alive."

I wasn't planning to rate this book!

I think I should not have read this one, because it honestly destroyed the image I had of Oliver. Was thinking of leaving it off midway, but good I did struggle through because the last line did earn the book it's undeserved 2*!!

I may sound harsh, but it was just not to my liking!

Tip to future readers: Refrain from perusing this and be c
Shonali
Things I liked about this book: ( Can’t say I liked any thing so I am just giving my views )

I wanted to like this book , I really did . I had absolutely loved Love Story ( ya,ya I know , the tear jerking romantic story ) I knew this book couldn’t be as phenomenal as Love Story. Some books have that kind of impact but I had definitely expected something atleast close to the first book.I was throughly disappointed.

The book fell short on reasoning and realism. As a reader I just couldn’t identify w
Vanessa
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I inevitably had to read the sequel to Love Story after I wiped up the last snot bubble from reading the first book. It's two years later and Oliver has met someone else. And she's another WASP this time. Hooray! But this isn't a callow attempt to write a belated fairy tale ending for Oliver, and I admire Segal for making that choice. I'll just leave it at that.

I never saw the movie version of this. Why do I feel like my streaming video plans for this evening were just decided?

30 seconds later.
Camille Eugenio
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been putting off this book for awhile now. Just because I'd love Jenny and Oliver so much from the first book, and I believed they've had this one great true love, that, reading a journey to love again for Oliver after that, feels like too much of a betrayal to Jenny. However I just needed to read it. See my dilemma? You want to read a book, but you're just to afraid to read it. You know what I mean? And so now, after having read the book, here I am, just contemplating everything. It's 1 am ...more
Farozan
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wonder why Segal wrote a sequel to Love Story since the first book was just perfect by itself. Having said that comparing this with Love Story would not be right since this book is not a love story. While it is romantic in a way, I do not think it is about love. While Oliver's Story was annoying to a great extent, I kind of understood his journey of trying to overcome his grief and loss and finding acceptance.

PS: I DID NOT see that end coming! Still trying to make up my end if I liked the boo
Jim
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2fiction, 3series, 1paper
This was an excellent sequel to Love Story. Oliver is now on his own & must find meaning to his life without his great love, Jenny. It's well done, especially his relationship with his father. It especially meant a lot to me, having raised a couple of boys myself. It's amazing how my intelligence & worth have varied in their eyes as they've grown.
Clara
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-lit, fiction
The characters in the sequel to "love story" are deeper, darker and more interesting. Also because it's mostly a book about loneliness, it won't make you feel so good in the end. For all those reasons and others, I liked it. oh, and it took two days to read - that's also an advantage in comparison to LS which took only about 2 hours.
Sulis Peri Hutan
Lanjutan dari buku Love Story. Review ini sedikit banyak berbau pribadi, berbau curhat, subjektif banget karena saya pernah melihat kisah cinta yang mirip seperti Jenny-Oliver walau nggak sama persis plek. Kesamaannya adalah ditinggal orang yang dicintai untuk selama-lamanya. Jadi jangan berharap mendapatkan review yang objektif, emang kayak apa sih review yang objektif itu? Persetan!

Saya akui, tidak mudah move on dari orang yang sudah bertahun-tahun menemani kita, dan ketika membaca buku ini sa
Sundeep Supertramp
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
First of all, I ask all the readers to complete erase the expectations you have on this book. This one is good the way it is. Don't, don't and don't even try to compare this one with the first one (Love Story).

Let me start with a praise for Erich Segal. He is a very rare story teller.

To be frank, the best thing about his books (atleast for me) is the lesser words density per page. I, being slow reader, can complete a page in about 30 seconds. Thats the good thing about the print.

About the story
Takinchi Purnomo
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karena baca buku pertamanya sudah cukup lama, aku agak susah masuk ke dalam cerita ini pada awalnya. Tapi setelah pemanasan pada 2 bab pertama, aku bisa membiasakan diri lagi.

Aku benar-benar terharu ketika Oliver datang menemui Dr. London, dia merasa tidak setia pada Jenny, karena dia hampir menyukai wanita lain.
It was sad, but it was also so sweet of him.

Ini bagian yang paling aku sukai:
("Dengar, aku tidak membutuhkan ahli dekorasi. Atau sinar lampu yang romantis. Tak bisakah dia mengerti semua
Monicka.k.j Jayachandran
Its true that, not all true love ends in,"They live happily ever after" sequence.Even in fairy tales or fiction stories there are love stories that didnt end in a gracious or grandiose wedding.Just like the book,Love Story-"Romeo and Juliet" didnt end in a wedding ceremony but end their lives together to continue their love in till death though they part..Sometimes, our true love is with us only for a while and no matter how much we wander and look around to start living all over again with an o ...more
Larissa
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Was expecting something different from “Oliver’s Story” by Erich Segal.

As far as the book went, I was expecting that the main character would re-marry…but instead it let me believe he was all alone — for 5 years or maybe more. And maybe some gal (whom he had no idea where it would go with her).

Didn’t cry with book, however…but definitely it was different in - a good way I suppose - that it wasn’t a ‘happy’ cliche story.

Well I don’t know if this sums it, but I guess it does, it’s my opinion for f
нυgѕαи∂¢σσкιєѕ
Liked it and hated it. But was I happy to learn that Oliver's story was out. No, not really cause sometimes you don't want to move on after reading all about Jenny. Yet sometimes you have to let go to move on. So this is basically two years after Jenny.

The story is more or less told about his journey and him moving on. Was I expecting a happy ending. No. But trust me you will need to find out the rest cause I never expected this.

I love the characters that made appearances. Jenny's dad, Oliver's
tinette sarra
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
i wasn't much into Oliver's story. i read it because i wanted to know what happened to Oliver after Jenny left. but i was having mixed emotions. i know i wanted Oliver to have a good life because he deserved to move forward. but a part of me doesn't want him to get involved with someone else and forget Jenny. Love Story was a sad one with a lot of happy, memorable moments. i was still stuck with Jenny and Oliver even when i started reading book # 2. In the middle of the book, it was getting bori ...more
Asmita
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it
By the time you finnish the last page and most significantly the last line, you will have grown a hatred for Oliver and Erich Segal that I am sure of because I did too. But I also guarantee that by the time you finnish the last page of this book you will have forgotten everything.
when you read the book, from the very beginning there is nothing to prove the absence of jenny cavilleri, or nothing rather emphasised. but the last line is really worth remembering.
[This is oliver barrett IV writing h
Abby Weisberg
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why people did not like this. I think that the author did a fantastic job of making the reader feel what the hero of the story feels. I think it was honest and real. I was left feeling that Oliver was in a much better place at the end of the story than at the beginning and that maybe, one day, Oliver will be able to find someone else.
Vicki
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
The majority of sequels never live up to the expectations of a great first story and this was no exception. I read Oliver's Story shortly after it originally came out but recently re-read it to see if it brought back any good memories. It didn't.
Rizki Widya Nur
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
lagi gak mood review. cuma bisa bilang lebih suka sekuel dari buku pertamanya. lebih bikin penasaran dan jadi suka sama oliver yang dulu pas buku pertama kelihatan sangat menjengkelkan. mungkin karena kehilangan jenny membuat dia semakin dewasa dan berpikiran luas.
Christine
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Imas
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Buku kedua ini ternyata lebih bagus menurut aku dibanding dengan buku pertama.Belum pernah baca karya Erich Segal sebelumnya membuat aku tertegun..bukan cerita cinta biasa. Menarik,tak terduga dan mengesankan. Cinta Jenny dan Oliver yang singkat namun abadi..
Aliaq8
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rated-2
Didn't enjoy it.. Could be coz Jenny wasn't in it! I found myself missing her immensely.
real love? 3 21 Feb 16, 2016 11:48AM
  • The Children's Illustrated Bible
  • Diana's Story
  • Buku Ajar Koas Racun
  • Dragon Moon
  • Bitter Virgin 2 (Bitter Virgin #2)
  • A.M.S.A.T - Apa Maksud Setuang Air Teh
  • If the Spirit Moves You
  • A Wife by Accident
Erich Wolf Segal was an American author, screenwriter, and educator. He was best-known for writing the novel Love Story, a bestseller, and writing the motion picture of the same name, which was a major hit.
More about Erich Segal...

Love Story (2 books)
  • Love Story (Love Story, #1)
“Sometimes I ask myself what would I be if Jenny were alive.
And then I answer :
I would also be alive." - Oliver.”
18 likes
“Sometimes I ask myself what I would be if Jenny were alive.
And then I answer:I would also be alive.”
3 likes