Start by marking “Fortunes of War (The Sentinels)” as Want to Read:
Fortunes of War (The Sentinels)

Fortunes of War (The Sentinels #1)

2.99  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

Published July 1st 2009 by Greenleaf Book Group, LLC (first published June 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fortunes of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortunes of War

Donna
Jan 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sounds good, right? All espionage-y and sneaky and dangerous? The blurb sounds exciting!

And then you start reading it . . .

And realize it's the dullest fucking espionage book in the history of the world. Well, I shouldn't say that. I don't read very many of these kinds of books but you'd think, considering the subject, it'd be relatively interesting and fast paced, right?

Nope.

The only reason I read it quickly was because it's in a larger font with big margins. Zoomed right through it. Thank god.
Thomas
Mar 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay where to begin???

That’s effectively several hours of my life lost that I will never get back... The government should roll this out en-masse for use as an anaesthetist in hospitals. It really is that dreadful I had to put it down several times – crap really doesn’t do it justice.

You would think someone writing about WWII wouldn't have a problem getting it right, especially considering the amount of research material available at hand, but this author does, spectacularly so. And just keeps
Pauline
Jan 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
*Sighs*

I wanted so much to like this book. A merry band of friends working together to bring down the National Socialist Party by pulling the strings in the background sounds like it would be exciting right? RIGHT? Alas, it was not so. This has to be the least thrilling espionage-spy novel I have read in a really long time.

Generally when you get into a thriller/suspense novel, you worry for the characters and the things that they are going through. A really great thriller/suspense novel has you
Robbi Bitner
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What an utter waste of my time. A book has to be pretty bad for me to stop reading it, and this one has that distinction. Unbelievable, unsympathetic characters, lackluster dialogue, and gross inaccuracy.

My turning point was Chapter 4 - a Pan American Clipper commercial trans-Atlantic flight lands at Southampton, on the Thames. Well... Southampton isn't on the Thames. And as I understand it, trans-Atlantic clipper flights were redirected to Lisbon or Ireland during WWII.

Authors aren't perfect,
Ben Cowles
Jan 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was free on the Kindle store and I still paid too much for it. Recommended if you want to learn how to make WWII espionage boring.
Dana
Mar 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled, read-in-2014
Another Kindle self-published freebie. You'd think I'd know better by now.

It is impressive how an author can write 450 pages and not have anything actually happen on the page. The plot is advanced by having characters talk about what happened, or by a fly-by expositional paragraph.

The story is set in WWII, but without occasional reminders of the war, you'd never guess this wasn't set in our current time. Characters fly all over Europe and across the Atlantic despite the fact there's a war. One
J.W. Cunningham
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this riveting amalgam of political intrigue, poignant romance, and bare-knuckled action, six friends risk everything to thwart an international Nazi conspiracy. In the financial devastation of the 1930s, a greedy, power-hungry group of German industrialists plot to usher in the National Socialist Party in order to rearm Germany and reap the financial rewards. Thus rises Hitler.

In this setting and with the great characters that are in play, this book never slows down and never loses the intere
colleen
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1932, a group of German industrialists and financial leaders supported Adolf Hitler's rise and the rearmament of Germany as a way to increase their wealth. They conspire to get Karl von Schagel appointed to the position of deputy minister of finance. In 1938, a group of six graduate students gives a presentation on their theory of “The Power Cycle.” The leader of the group is Jacques Roth, the heir to the Roth banking empire. The other members of his group all have similar privileged backgrou ...more
Jan McClintock
This is a political thriller with a global banking theme, set during World War II.

In 1938, a group of six UC Berkeley students -- rich, intelligent, multinational and attractive, of course -- attempt to warn of the dangers of the financial support behind Hitler's rise to power. They are basically ignored by those in power. Later, toward the end World War II, they set a trap for the German industrialists behind the money and put themselves in danger to avoid another, similar conflict in the futu
Janice
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sentinels: Fortunes of War by Gordon Zuckerman begins with a flashback to a meeting of group of German industrialists who decide to back a new fellow on the scene, Hitler for financial reason. They are concerned about their own pockets, not what is best for the country. Jump forward and it appears that World War II is about to end and these same industrialists want to get their money out of the country safely without Hitler knowing. The want to be able to use their money once the Reich is no ...more
Leo Huang
Feb 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book failed both at the historical and fiction of historical fiction.

Both dialogue and scenarios are far from believable. The characters were not developed and all have very little personality. Their actions also just seem very arbitrary.

Plot: no clever twist that resolves the main conflict in the story. Not that there was much of an interesting conflict anyway.

I finished reading it simply because I was hoping things would start to look better. They did not. I now hate myself for not having
Colleen
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Great plot and storyline. Zuckerman could have expanded the story a bit more in some areas as I felt he expected the reader to just know what was happening at times from vague description. If you are a good reader, you could fill in the blanks and be satisfied, but it would have been much more enjoyable to have the writer tell me so I could use my imagination in putting the pictures in my head. With a bit more organization and detail, this would have been an excellent war time espionage novel.
Jean Labrador
The idea for this book is great during this 1930s/WWII era book. It is definitely not knuckle biting, although I did think that the part where Claudine's chase through Europe with bad guys on her tail was the most intriguing of the group. The economic shennanigans of the industrialists was fascinating, and I think timely to what is happening today... no thought for the good of the country or the regular folk, just greed, greed, greed.
Steve Davis
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A financial thriller set in WW II period. A group of students who are financial whiz-kids counterfeit Nazi bearer bonds and try to topple the Third Reich by selling them off at the appropriate time. The violent reaction of the Nazis is not violent enough, that is not realistic enough, for the demons they were. Good story, but too sterile.
Linda
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. The author was nearly flawless in witing mechanics, flow and structure. The story was set in Europe and the United States during WWII. A group of six wealthy men and women helped structure post-war world high finance. While the plot was not deep, the book was still good reading. Thank you, Mr. Zuckerman.
Jenny
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, but some of it was complex and it wasn't explained well enough so I felt like the characters were just smarter than me and I had to just pretend to follow along. Exciting plot and good characters
Elaine Diehl-Postma
I was enthralled with the book and the author. His take on pre-world war I was so very interesting. Even though it's fiction, I could almost believe his characters as Real people. Can't wait to read the next book.
Karen
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Set in the WW2 era this book was not exactly what I expected, but it was a decent read. The story line and characters are believable but if you are looking for a fast paced espionage type book, this is not it. It's well written and enjoyable but not something you'll stay up late to finish.
Thomas Roth
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite an interesting story line. Took a bit of understanding history to fill in some of the blanks.
Daniel Ace
The concept was sound but honestly this was a one-time book. Once you finished it, there was no reason to come back. It felt like "Clavell-lite".
Lydia Brown
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really my type of story but over all a good book!
Asiri Samarasekera
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Good readers
Recommended to Asiri by: People who know I like books in series.
It was okay, but I think it was to complicated for me. It was a very long book and I do not like very long books. It was in a series which I liked.
Cheryl
Oct 28, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Barnes and Noble Free Friday offering.
C.L.R. Dougherty
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story, well told and well written.
John
rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • Capitol Reflections
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Striking Back
  • Permanent Interests
  • The God's Wife
  • Tedd and Todd's Secret (The Big Ben Mystery)
  • The Maverick Experiment