Start by marking “The Weaver” as Want to Read:

(Weaver Tales #1)

In a town of word weavers, Mary suffers through her third year of Novice Word Weaving. Mary thinks her troubles are over when she meets a gnome-elf who grants her a wish. But instead of weaving a better story, she's weaving strange yarn charms to accompany her still pathetic tales.
Hardcover, Large print, 94 pages
Published December 10th 2010 by Guardian Angel Publishing (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Weaver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weaver

Sheila
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
In a little village called The Tales, people weave stories as naturally as speaking. But poor Mary doesn’t believe her tales are worth anything. And, without stories, how can her parents love her. The fact that her mother’s a teacher doesn’t help as Mary wonders how to advance beyond Novice Word Weaving in school?

Author Kai Strand weaves some beautiful words through the characters of this children’s novel, The Weaver. Fluid language introduces a sense of rhythm. New words lead the reader to expe
Mymcbooks
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review: This is a book that truly captures the reader's imagination. Mary Wordsmith wish is to be able to weave a tale just like her mother Abigail. When a little blue creature that looks like an unfortunate cross between a goblin and an elf grinned up at Mary and took her bottle of milk, he decided to grant her a wish in exchange for the milks. She couldn’t believe her luck and her wish was to weave a yarn as beautiful as her mother.

This is a great book that keeps you wanting to know what’s
Medeia Sharif
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary lives in a town of word weavers. Her mother is one of the best storytellers around, but Mary isn’t great with stories. Her tales fall flat, which makes her stand out in the wrong way. When Mary meets an odd blue elf who wants her milk, she exchanges it for a wish…but she uses the wrong words while making her wish. This is a delightful tale of a girl who’s insecure and who doesn't yet have a skill everyone else has, but nonetheless she’s unique and wonderful. The lesson in this novel is that ...more
Heavensent1
The Weaver is a suggested reader for ages 9 to 12 years.

Mary Wordsmith lives in The Tales, a village who inhabitants speak story weaving, often in the form of prose, poetry, limericks and yarns. However, Mary isn't very good at it and whenever she weaves a tale, everyone in town rolls their eyes. Poor Mary can never end her stories properly, nor find the most eloquent way to express herself.

One day as Mary heads home from the dairy, she trips and falls into a ditch and bumps her head. The milk s
ACS Book-finder
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Weaver" is a wonderful story of a young girl who struggles to find her "gift" of weaving words. Mary Wordsmith is an 11-year old girl living in the village of The Tales. Her mother Abigail is a master word weaver and Mary worries that she will never be as good as her mother at story telling. Even the 8-year olds in school can weave better stories than Mary, or so she thinks.

One day, on her way home from getting milk from the local dairy, Mary slips and drops the "shiny milk bottles". In her
Shelle Perry
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Weaver is a truly unique story about a girl named Mary who lives in The Tales. It is a village, as the opening paragraph describes, whose inhabitants “can tell stories about anything at anytime and often do.” Storytelling doesn’t come easy for Mary and she watches as her peers advance in their skill while she still struggles with the basics. It is difficult for her. Her own mother is considered to be among the best story weavers and the perceived expectation, and subsequent disappointment, t ...more
VS Grenier
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sfc-review
The Weaver
By: Kai Strand Published: 2010 ISBN: 978-1-61633-122-1 $12.95 Ages: 9-12 4 stars
Reviewed by: Irene S. Roth

Synopsis: Kai Strand’s The Weaver is her first mid-grade novel. It is a wonderful book that is a must- read for kids of all ages. The story begins with Mary Wordsmith, who wishes to weave a tale just like her mother. Mary, however, is a typical teenager who has similar vulnerabilities and sensitivities. She wants to be liked and respected. She wants so badly to be like her mother
Beverly McClure
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing

At one time or another, most of us have made a wish for something we truly wanted. Sometimes that wish came true, the way we hoped. Other times it turned out quite differently than we expected, surprising us.

In author Kai Strand’s debut novel, THE WEAVER, for middle grade and tween readers, Mary Wordsmith lives in The Tales, a village where the people weave stories. Mary wants to weave tales as beautiful as those of her mother, Abigail. Mary’s tales, however, are boring. When she starts to tell
Donna McDine
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In the world of Mary Wordsmith the talents of weaving stories garner a feeling of acceptance into this special community. For Mary the overwhelming feeling of living in another person’s shadow hinders her ability to master the art of weaving. Feeling like an outcast, Mary’s despair mounts when a simple routine errand goes wrong. Can nothing be easy for Mary?

In her travels she meets a peculiar looking blue little man whom promises to make her most desired wish come true. Desperate, Mary relents
Linda Martin
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 9 to 12
Mary Wordsmith lives in The Tales, a town of word weavers, in other words, everyone there is a storyteller, and one of the best is Mary's mother, Abigail. Abigail teaches the Novice Word Weavers class that Mary has unfortunately been stuck in for three years because her stories are not good enough for her to progress.

It all changes the day she walks home from the dairy and a little blue gnome-elf decides to steal her milk. He then grants Mary a wish. What she wants most is to be able to tell sto
Cheryl Malandrinos
I absolutely loved this story for its unique plot, the author's engaging storytelling, and its wonderful message. The Weaver by Kai Strand is a beautifully written fantasy chapter book for tweens. Strand draws upon her love of crafting stories for the book's plot. Imagine how you would feel if your mother was the best at the one thing you couldn't do right. What would it be like to stand out among an entire community of people for your lack of a certain skill? This is exactly where Mary finds he ...more
Dianne Hartsock
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun story for both children and adults. I especially like the relationship between Mary and her mother. Mary also has wonderful friends to see her through her troubles. The characters are believable and likeable, the magic new and exciting. I kept my fingers crossed for Mary from the beginning of the book to the surprise at the end. An enjoyable read with enough mystery and wonder to keep me turning the pages.
Susan Berger
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I had it on iPad, I finally got around to reading The Weaver last night. I hadn't read it before because I truly hate sitting in front of my computer to read.

I loved it! What a delicious bubbly tale. It was like reading pop rocks. I love the characters and the chapter headings and the tiny knitted charms as illustrations. I am looking for ward to your next book and I promise I will be a lot faster to read it.
Kathleen Davis
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children ages 5 to 10
The Weaver is a the perfect bedtime story! Kai Strand does a great job writing this sweet book that follows in the footsteps of classic fairy tales. The story follows a sweet little girl through her journey of becoming a great storyteller. Strand's narrative runs smoothly and keeps the reader interested with her interesting characters including a delightful little blue man. Makes a great gift.
Kim Baccellia
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cute tale.

Review coming soon!
Kai Strand
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Gregory J McClean
rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2016
Rita Monette
Nov 07, 2014
Kai Strand
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Rustom Renz
Aug 06, 2013
Heather
Nov 13, 2011
Time to reduce that To-read list 1 2 Oct 08, 2013 09:24AM
Thanks for your interest in my books and me. I love talking books with readers and hope you’ll share your thoughts on my books by leaving a review and/or dropping me an email. It’s easiest to get a hold of me through my website (kaistrand.com). Perhaps you clicked on my bio to find out things about me, such as I hate to handle raw meat, I’m a wife and mother of four, a compulsive walker, and a Moz ...more

Weaver Tales (3 books)
  • The Wishing Well: Another Weaver Tale (Weaver Tales, #2)
  • The Lumpy Duckling: Another Weaver Tale (Weaver Tales, #3)