Start by marking “Olivia: With Audio Recording” as Want to Read:
Olivia: With Audio Recording

Olivia: With Audio Recording (Olivia)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  51,704 Ratings  ·  1,307 Reviews
dancing
painting on walls
and -- whew! --
going to sleep at last.

Everyone's favorite Caldecott Honor-winning porcine diva is now available as an eBook with audio!
Published November 16th 2010 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2000)

Sparrow
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls and boys
Recommended to Sparrow by: April Wallen
I spent about a year in an awkward situation that started out with accidentally babysitting two adorable little kids. Bundles of joy are those two, and I'm not even being ironical. Mommies and daddies, when you ask nice single gals of even age with yourselves if they'll do you a favor and watch your kiddos while you go wine tasting for a night, do you usually mean, "Will you be my nanny?" I hope not. It is very uncomfortable to get out of that kind of situation. Anyway, Olivia was an invaluable ...more
Ronyell
Olivia

When I heard about the popularity of “Olivia,” I wanted to give this book a shot and I am glad I did! “Olivia” is a Caldecott Honor Book by Ian Falconer which is about the adventures of an energetic girl piglet named Olivia who does all kinds of activities that tires her family out! “Olivia” is the perfect story for children who love trying out new things everyday!

Olivia is good at many things such as wearing people out and dressing herself up in different types of clothes. Olivia also has a lit
Marie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, series
Olivia is a girl (illustrated as an adorable pig) who is ready to try anything and everything.  She dreams big, wears others out and eventually wears herself out.  These stories are about family dynamics, joyful growing up years and wonderful adventures. The books are beautifully illustrated, whimsical, and witty.  Olivia is a character to love and read repeatedly.
Becky
This past weekend, I got to spend some quality time with my adorable and amazing nephew, Zach. During that QT, we read this book together. Or rather, I read the book to him, and he tested it out for edibility. And while he seemed to enjoy it (he's one - his bar is pretty low right now), I personally expected something better, especially considering how freaking popular this book is.

But I think that the popularity is mainly because of the mommies who can relate to being worn out by their kids: h
Brent Weeks
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
We went through a long Olivia phase here at the Weeks household. Sweet and slyly witty, with a dash of haute couture, and a lot of well-loved but misbehaving child, these books are just great.

(Take note that I think Ian Falconer sold off the rights to this series. There are several by him, and then a bunch by Nickelodeon or something. My review only holds for the originals by Ian Falconer.)
Kim
Our Olivia was kind enough to share this book with me an introduce me to this lovely character. I enjoyed it immensely and fell in love with the little piglet. I never paid any attention to picture books but from now on, I will, because it seems like I missed out.
Kathryn
Thanks to some rave reviews from GoodReads friends, I decided to meet Olivia! I admit she did not look like the sort of piggy I would usually welcome into my library--but I was being judgmental by looking at the exterior and I'm glad I gave her the chance to share her true spirit with me. What a delight! Love her creativity and humor.

Kaethe
1 October, 2001

Olivia is pure, unmitigated awesome. I love her energy, her enthusiasm, her style, and her sand sculptures. I love the way she carries her cat around. I love her icons. I love her, even though she wears me out.

Also, I love Falconer's style.

Amanda
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool children
Recommended to Amanda by: library
First a note on prior reviews...

If this was a story about a pig who's a boy would all the reviewers still be saying that this is a must have for your daughter? Let's remember that Olivia first and foremost represents a child. I read this book to my son and he could identify with it just as well. I understand that there needs to be more strong female characters for our daughters to admire but I am so sick of hearing that girl characters such as Olivia, Dora, etc are for girls. If you really want
Rossy
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Emily Allen
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia, winner of the Caldecott Honor, takes home the prize with black, white and red color schemes, simplistic but fun drawings that carry the story so much farther than the text alone.

Written and illustrated by Ian Falconer, this book is another great example of personification, allowing children to see animals in a different light. Olivia is a piglet who “is good at lots of things.”

This book tells of her daily routines and of her adventures like going to the beach and highlights the relation
Knjigoholičarka
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dečije, usa, 2014
Pepo - povuci se u ilegalu. Olivija je prase kakvo ti nikada nećeš biti. Ona slika, ona igra balet, ona gradi kule od peska na plaži i tera mamu da joj čita po pet knjiga pred spavanje. Ide u muzej i ima psa i crnog mačka.

Fak jea, Olivija!

Kristi
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harper-read
adorable! and the girl loved it!
Erin Ramai
This book is intended for children ages 4-8. It received a Caldecott Honor Award in 2001.

In Olivia, Falconer illustrates the story of Olivia, the free-spirited, attention-seeking, independent pig, a character who is inspired by his niece. The text is very believable considering the playful and yet extremely particular behaviors that can juxtapose one another in the personalities of young children. Additionally, the text captures precociousness that characterizes Olivia as a child ranging from t
Rogene Carter
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Praise!
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
How do you know a classic? Well, you just know, and from the first time I picked up Olivia by Ian Falconer back in October 2000 in Creatures and Crooks Bookstore, I knew instantly that this book was destined for great things. And in fact it was...it has spawned the Olivia franchise: books, tins, magnets, calendars, etc. But I digress.

Olivia by Ian Falconer has become a children's classic since its release back in 2000. To answer my original question...I guess one way to know a children's classic
Katelynn Callahan
This book is about a young girl named Olivia. She is good at a lot of things and never gets tired. She is always wearing people out. She enjoys things such as dressing up, singing songs, building sand castles, dancing, painting on walls and much much more. She has a little brother named Ian would sometimes will just not leave her alone. She was a dog and cat and she lives with her mom, dad, and brother. Throughout the story, Olivia does many different activities that she loves to do. Finally at ...more
Kristy
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I love reading Olivia not only for the illustrations but also the story line. Olivia is simple yet it has a charm to it and captures humor that draws the reader in of all ages. Olivia is a little girl pig that is never sleepy and gets into paint, tries on every outfit in her closet, wants to read multiple books and is always moving about the house. Olivia wears out her brother and mom but she never seems to wear herself out because she is just not sleepy. The illustrations in Olivia are black an ...more
Ashley Martin
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia comes stamped with a Caldecott honor; when reading Olivia it becomes very clear as to why it was awarded this honor. Not only are the pictures spectacularly drawn, but they help in telling the story. The words themselves can infer many meanings, but the pictures make these meanings clear. For example one page reads: "Sometimes Olivia likes to bask in the sun. When her mother sees that she's had enough, they go home"; this could mean Olivia is simply tired of being at the beach, but the si ...more
Tatiana
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-K to 1
Shelves: picture-books
Last semester I wrote quite a few reading lesson plans. Today, I taught my first “official” lesson—reading or otherwise—to my small group of first-graders, and the lesson was on this book. Olivia by Ian Falconer is really very darling. My focus skill was drawing conclusions & the impact of the illustrator, because the illustrations are an integral part of learning about Olivia’s big personality. I was just thrilled that the students were pleased enough with the four-year-old piglet that they ...more
Gregory Baird
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
As picture books go, you can't do much better than the thoroughly charming "Olivia". The young pig is sure to endear herself to you with her winning personality and excess of sass. I have given this book as a gift many times and it has always been a winner. I have recommended it to countless people in the bookstore I work at and it has never failed me. The other books in the series are, for the most part, equally delightful, but none of them quite match the spirit of the first one for me.
Kimberly
This is the kind of book that makes me want to have a kid. It makes me yearn for the days when my brothers and sisters were busy little three and four year olds, going about all of their very important business. So, so cute.
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Olivia. She's original and always captivating.
Olivia
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olivia the pig is my spirit animal.
Matt
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is this my kid's name, but the story is so fun. My own Olivia loves this one right now. Besides, she really wears me out at times, but I love her anyway. :)
Mandy
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! My youngest daughter and I read it all the time :)
Samantha Fraenkel
When I was a little girl, I was Olivia. This book was just perfect.
Tegan (The Rowdy Librarian)
A great story for young girls about a young pig being herself! I like all of Olivia's dreams and accomplishments. Looking forward to reading the others. Read for my Lit and Resources for Children class for grad school. Full review to come.
Stephanie
Cute. Dame Edna reads the audiobook.
Rk Wild
One of the better (fictional?) biographies catching my attention this year. It's a thick tome, but a quick read. Olivia's views of Jackson Pollock caught me off guard...yet, the depth of her appreciation for the genre prevails long after one completes this rollicking adventure.
Olivia!! (ME!!!!!) 18 63 Jan 24, 2012 06:19PM
  • Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors
  • The Stray Dog
  • What Do You Do With a Tail Like This?
  • Fancy Nancy
  • First the Egg
  • Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity (Knuffle Bunny, #2)
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
  • Hot Air: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Hot-Air Balloon Ride
  • The Faithful Friend
  • King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
  • Snow
  • All the World
  • Ella Sarah Gets Dressed (Caldecott Honor Book)
  • On Market Street
  • The Hello, Goodbye Window
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato
  • Zen Shorts
Ian Falconer is the author and illustrator of all the titles in the bestselling Olivia series: Olivia, Olivia Saves the Circus,Olivia...and the Missing Toy, and Olivia Forms a Band. His illustrations have also graced many covers of the New Yorker. In addition, he has designed sets and costumes for the New York City Ballet, the San Francisco Opera, and the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), among o ...more
More about Ian Falconer...

Olivia (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Olivia Saves the Circus
  • Olivia's Opposites
  • Olivia Counts
  • Olivia and the Missing Toy
  • Olivia Forms A Band
  • Dream Big: Starring Olivia
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)
  • Teatro Olivia

“Only five books tonight, Mommy," she says.
No, Olivia, just one."
How about four?"
Two."
Three."
Oh, all right, three. But that's it!”
54 likes