Start by marking “Diary of Bergen-Belsen: 1944-1945” as Want to Read:
Diary of Bergen-Belsen: 1944-1945

Diary of Bergen-Belsen: 1944-1945

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A unique, deeply political survivor s diary from the final year inside the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
Hanna Levy-Hass, a Yugoslavian Jew, emerged a defiant survivor of the Holocaust. Her observations shed new light on the lived experience of Nazi internment. Levy-Hass stands alone as the only resistance fighter to report on her own experience inside the camps, and s
Published June 1st 2009 by Haymarket Books (first published 1979)

Meaghan
I'm sorry this diary was ignored by the public for so long, for it's one of the very few diaries to come out of a concentration camp. Its author was a very educated, intelligent woman who spoke several languages and certainly knew how to write. I'm amazed that, starving and sick in Bergen-Belsen with people dying all around her, Hanna Levy-Hass was able to teach the children, write these amazingly detailed diary entries, and even have philosophical conversations with others about the nature of e ...more
Shawn
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written diary entries from a woman who considered herself, her writing, and her experience unextraordinary. Brilliant writing that hints at the incredible mind behind it, and the loss to the world that she chose to keep this gift to herself.
Milena
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Hanna Lévy-Hass was a young Yugoslavian woman of jewish religion who survived to the internment inside the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

While inside the lager, she kept a diary, a chronicle of what happened daily inside the camp and her own feelings and reflections.
At first shocked by the appalling conditions she was forced to stay in, she managed to react and even to help others. She took every episode as a harsh lesson that could help her in the struggle for life.

She writes:

"I realized tha
David Lowther
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A grim and disturbing account of a young girl's incarceration in one of the Second World War's most notorious camp. The diary gives a real sense of just how desperate conditions were in the first three months of 1945. The basic causes of these appalling circumstances were dreadful overcrowding, atrocious lack of food and the breakdown of the camp's contamination system which led to the deadly outbreak of typhoid which took so many lives before and after liberation.

Then there the SS who insulted
Shelley
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful writing! Example:

Everything human is reduced to zero. . . . Memories of beauty are erased; the artistic joys of the past are inconceivable in our current state. The brain is as if paralysed, the spirit violated. . . . We have not died, but we are dead.

A very important work.
Wendy
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted more of this! Levy-Hass' diary is a moving, short depiction of a year of imprisonment at Bergen-Belsen. There is an interesting forward and afterward by her daughter, and an afterward about the Yugoslav language, but it just isn't enough. Having read many Holocaust memoirs, I had a literary idea of what Levy-Hass was writing about, but if this is someone's first read, I think there are many issues mentioned that would be kind of difficult to follow/understand.

I was really drawn into th
Nicole Levesque
I think that this was interesting, and I liked that it had basically mini history lessons throughout.

Book 52/50 (2017)
Andrea
Mar 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although the introduction (by Hass' daughter)was interesting, I found the diary entries mostly rambling, lacking any narrative and full of strange political thoughts. Not one to diss a survivor's diary, but I didn't see anything here that added to the knowledge of the experience. Maybe that's why she told her daughter she was like all the others and did't want to write a book of her story.
Celia Hall
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting to read this new perspective on the experience in a concentration camp.
Lenny
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too philosophical if you ask me, but still a great memoir from the time period.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »