Start by marking “The Sword in the Tree” as Want to Read:
The Sword in the Tree

The Sword in the Tree

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,573 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
In the days of King Arthur there stood a mighty oak tree within the walls of a castle. Peace reigned in the castle until the fearsome night when Lionel, longlost brother of Lord Weldon, returned to cause trouble and unhappiness.

It was then that Shan, the son of Lord Weldon, took on the duties of a knight and hid the sword in the hollow of the giant oak. The days that follo
Published January 21st 1962 by HarperCollins (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword in the Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword in the Tree

Corinne
This book makes me want to cheer. My 7.5 year old has been ready to move into chapter books with a thicker plot, but thicker plot usually means chapters that are a bit too long. Enter this perfect book. There's knights and castle intrigue, a mute wise man and King Aurthur himself. It's exciting and engaging but on just the right level for him. Every chapter has an illustration and the vocabulary was totally accessible for him -except for the names. He had to ask a couple times about that, but th ...more
Molly
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book! My mom was reading it to my younger siblings (ages 5 & 7) *This book is for ages 7-10* she loved it so much that she wanted me to read it. It took me 55 minutes to finish it and I would recommend it to anyone who loves books about medieval times. 5 stars!

(PS: Yes I know that I'm reading a children's book, yes I know I'm turning 18 in in 2 days. Do I care? Apparently not. lol)
Amanda Medlin
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jack-read
From Jack (age 7)...I thought it was an interesting book because it brought me excitement and made me want to finish the book. I was just reading one chapter a day and then I wanted to finish the book because it got interesting in the last 4 chapters so in one day I read 3 chapters.
Stephen
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Join 11-year old Shan on an exciting journey to escape death and restore peace to Weldon Castle. This is a wonderful introduction for kids to the medieval world of knights, kings, peasants, and fair maidens.
Roy
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well written children's chapter book! Adventure, mystery, twists and more set in King Arthur's England.
Edelind
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent early reader about bravery.
Laura Verret
By the author of The Ghost of Windy Hill, Three Dollar Mule, Riding the Pony Express, and Pirates Promise comes this story set during the reign of King Arthur!

The Story.

Shan dreams of becoming a knight. Already his father, Lord Weldon of Weldon Castle, is training him to sit astride a horse and hold his own in swordplay. Perhaps one day, he’ll serve as one of King Arthur’s knights!

Then one day, Shan’s uncle, Lionel, came to stay at Weldon Castle. He seemed to be a moody man – given to outbursts
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

The Sword in the Tree is a beginning chapter book set in the time of King Arthur and first published in 1956. Shan is the son of Lord Weldon and Lady Marie. When Lord Weldon's brother, Lionel, arrives at the castle, Lord Weldon goes missing and is pronounced dead, and Lionel takes control, causing Shan and his mother to flee for the sake of their safety. Shan wants to reclaim his father's rightful place in the castle, but first he must prove
Nicola Mansfield
Clyde Robert Bulla was one of the best authors of books aimed at the beginning reader; chapter books that range within the second grade level. This book is listed as 2.2. A rich, detailed historical story of a Lord whose knight brother kills/scares off the family so he can take over the property and become Lord of the estate himself. The plot contains several crisis and resolutions before the initial one is solved, making for a compelling, exciting story all of which is written with a limited vo ...more
Abby Morgan
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a really good book. The little boy, Shan, is very brave. He is the son of Lord Weldon. Lord Weldon gets captured and his evil brother wants to be claimed "Lord". Meanwhile, Shan and his mother (Lady Marie) are trying to run away because they are in the same danger as Lord Weldon. They find a few friends on the way. Shan and Magnus, one of the friends, go to Camelot to see the King (King Arthur) and King Arthur sends a knight (Sir Gareth) with Shan and Magnus to go back to Weldon Castle and ...more
Nicole
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sonlight, children-s
This was the first chapter book my 6 year old son read. He loved it so much! It was a perfect read for him. It contains knights, sword fights, King Arthur and Camelot. He loved the fight scenes so much. (They weren't gorey at all. Very appropriate for this age group. And they didn't last long, either. It was just the right amount for a 6 yo.) He would read two sentences, get up and act it out for a few minutes, then come read another two sentences, then act those out, and so on until he finished ...more
Heather
We just finished this yesterday. My kids really loved it and always wanted to read more.

It's a very simply written story. It has action and adventure, but it's never 'crazy action' or 'crazy adventure'. Not too stressful or worrisome. You just knew everything would be okay - but it did have some plot twists which pleasantly surprised them.

While it is simple, it is easy to read aloud. And a child who's been reading for a while could handle this as the chapters are rather short.

I can't say that we
Kristen
An evil uncle's plan to take over his brother's kingdom and it is up to the son to regain the kingdom.

Teachers can use this book to teach students about kingdoms, kings, queens, monarchy, loyalty, betrayal, and family. Teacher's can use this book to teach students how to have hope despite difficult circumstances.

Students will like this book because the main character is a young boy who faces difficult trials but must remain hopeful and brave. Students will be able to relate to the young boy and
Sharon Zink
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This story for young readers is set in Medieval times and tells about a boy and his family whose ancestral home was stolen from them by a wicked uncle. After many adventures, the boy eventually returns to his home with a group of knights, is able to prove that the castle belongs to his family, and the uncle is evicted. I always buy and read every book by Clyde Robert Bulla that I can find. He was writing when I was born. His plots are simple and irresistible. Teachers should have their students ...more
Mary
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
CWR and I just finished our book report/project on The Sword in the Tree! This one was not as painful because CWR could type it on the computer, and there was very little arts'n'crafts involved.

We broke it down to chapters and wrote a five-sentence summary of each one. It was a good children's book set in medieval times.

Now, it's Rob's turn to do a project with CWR; a sugar cube medieval castle complete with a moat, towers, a gatehouse, a drawbridge, a wall walk and a flag. Good Luck, Rob!

Harold Ogle
I fondly remember reading this as a child, but I couldn't remember the plot aside from what is described in the title. So, reading it again now, I was pleased to find a "new" story that engaged me. The Sword in the Tree is set in a mythic England of late Middle Ages knights and castles, Lady Marian and King Arthur. It is a story of filial betrayal like those from Robin Hood or A Song of Ice and Fire, but aimed squarely at kids. Highly recommended for kids who enjoy chapter books.
Erin
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book aloud with my 9 year old daughter. It is quick and light. I would think boys would like this book better than girls. Which is good to find a book for boys. Shan is a very likable character. It is too bad that in life we have to have proof before we are believed. What happened to honesty and integrity. I always like it when good wins and bad loses.
Michele
I have to say I am impressed. This is the simplest of chapter books and yet I was hooked. Asking the kid if we could read just one more chapter. I thought he did a great job of bringing the story to life in easy to read format for kids, while giving them a great look into the historical time of that period.
Harmony
A great early/easy chapter book based in England at the time of King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table. A young boy hides his father's sword from his usurping uncle and protects his family until their castle can be returned to it's rightful owners. Great for boys and girls, 1st grade and up.
Sarah Smith
How I wish I had read this book when I was younger! Even reading it now, I was struck by how good the story was. The writing isn't convoluted, and it's pretty absorbing. I read it in an hour. Perfect for kids!
Kristine Hansen
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, chapter-book
I love a good King Arthur story, and this one takes a unique approach. The story is about Shan, a boy who approaches the king to right a wrong - to restore his castle to him. It's an exciting story of adventure, intrigue, and betrayal. Very highly recommended!
Jeffrey Ellsworth
A good book for kids about king arthur and knights and castles etc. An uncle takes over the castle and the mother and son run away. The son requests king arthur's help and the boy is able to prove it is his castle because he had hidden a sword in the hollow of a tree.
Annie Pasma
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juniors
Shan lives in a castle with his mother and father during the time of knights, honor and chivalry. When his uncle comes and usurps his father, it is up to Shan to travel to Camelot and bring the injustice to King Arthur. Full of great fun and adventure!
Anne
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beloved book from my childhood. I always loved this story of good over evil, the small and simple triumphing over the mighty. Written as a first chapter book for young readers, it has a story line and characters that I have loved even into adulthood.
Leila
Wonderful way to introduce the Middle Ages to younger kids. Really gave a sense of the time, and yet the sentence structure and vocabulary were very simple and easy for even young readers to read on their own.
Matthewrestle
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I thought it was a inspiring and it made me feel good. I thought in most situations he would lose die or get hurt but he didn't and even when I thought and he thought he couldn't make it he used determination.
Amanda Kroeschel
This was very stressful for my sensitive 7yo. She usually begs to read more when it's time to quit, but with this one, she asked for a break. In the end she said it was ok, but stressful; 5yo thought it was good. I liked it.
Lisa
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
A chapter book for young readers that tells the story of a young boy in medieval Britain who travels to King Arthur's castle in Camelot to ask the king if he'll help get rid of his unscrupulous uncle who has taken over his father's castle and usurped it as his own.
Esther May
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a simple story set in the times of King Arthur. It is about a boy who was double crossed by his uncle and how he and his mother are able to work things out. I liked the story. My daughter (7) was able to retell the story in 3 typed pages. She loved this book.
Jean-Marie
This is a perfect historical fiction book for early chapter book readers. My 8-year-old read this to me and gave it 4 stars. :-) we read this to complement our Middle Ages History lesson about Knights.
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • The Greek News
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • The Great Wall Of China
Born to be a Writer
Almost as far back as he can remember, Clyde Robert Bulla wanted to write. Born on a farm in a small town in Missouri, Mr. Bulla's first school was a one-room country schoolhouse. One day his teacher asked each first grade student what he or she would do with a thousand dollars. Young Clyde answered that he would buy a table. His classmates laughed heartily, and his teacher was
More about Clyde Robert Bulla...