Start by marking “Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)” as Want to Read:
Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)

Whispers Under Ground

(Rivers of London #3)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  42,495 ratings  ·  2,611 reviews
A WHOLE NEW REASON TO MIND THE GAP

It begins with a dead body at the far end of Baker Street tube station, all that remains of American exchange student James Gallagher—and the victim’s wealthy, politically powerful family is understandably eager to get to the bottom of the gruesome murder. The trouble is, the bottom—if it exists at all—is deeper and more unnatural than an
Published July 31st 2012 by Del Rey (first published June 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers Under Ground, please sign up.
George Apparently not. This reference may be the most erroneous blurb since one for Podkayne of Mars called the title character "an intergalactic sexpot". (T…moreApparently not. This reference may be the most erroneous blurb since one for Podkayne of Mars called the title character "an intergalactic sexpot". (The action takes place at or inside the orbit of Mars, and it's a Robert A. Heinlein juvenile.)

From https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph... under the "Covers Always Lie" trope:

■ The blurb on the UK version of Whispers Under Ground gives the impression that Agent Reynolds' "deep religious beliefs" are going to cause her to come to blows with Peter. In the book itself, her religious beliefs are mentioned twice: When she asks Peter not to take the Lord's name in vain, and when at the end she's mentioned to have found a local evangelical family to spend Christmas with. Neither has any impact at all on the plot.

• The US Del Rey edition is even worse, calling her "a born-again Christian who regards all magic as the work of Satan", although there is zero evidence of this in the book.(less)
Anna Live Rufus Sewell but I would more picture someone like Rupert Penry-Jones

·  42,495 ratings  ·  2,611 reviews

Start your review of Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
Nataliya
"Was it better to die in happy ignorance or terrified knowledge? The answer, if you’re a Londoner, is that it’s better not to die at all."
This series does what most urban fantasies avoid¹ - it seamlessly integrates the 'urban' and the 'fantastical' parts, creating a lovely well-crafted enjoyable reading experience that remains grounded in reality, with just the right touch of whimsy to keep it moving along, *nothing to see here*. (Don't you just loooove my pathetic attempts at police humor?
carol.
My review of the story

Thoughts for the audio version narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith:

Brilliant. There's nothing more I can say. I wanted to sit and binge-listen, but was afraid my muscles would atrophy during the hours it would take to listen at normal speed. In the third book, Leslie's voice is more intelligible, presumably the result of her surgeries. Voicing of Zach the half-fae had me laughing. Thanks to Dr. Walid, I'm pretty sure I could do a Scottish brogue if I tried. The voicing of the
carol.
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves detective fantasy

Well, I was going to work on my paper today. But then this arrived in the mail, hardcover & signed, direct from London. How could I resist? Within pages I was chuckling aloud, but also relishing the developing feeling of danger.

I can tell you now what will happen. Someday, I'm going to plan a trip to London, and like a complete book nerd, I will attempt to trace down the steps Peter Grant takes in solving these cases. Yes, the books are that good, and the only things hindering my complete unders
Annet
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun & magical, those weird books of Ben Aaronovitch about DC Grant, young policeman and apprentice magician! Loved it. Out of this world. This series.... had to get used to it, but it's hilariously good and so much underground humor :-)
Not my normal cup of tea but thanks to Caro who recommended this series to me. And I recommend it!
Em Lost In Books
3.5*.

The more I read these books, the more I fall in love with Peter and his banter with other characters (old & new). A string of new characters were introduced here and they blended very well with story and old crew. Eager to see what test Aaronovitch put Peter through.
Adina
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not know how, but I always end up giving a Peter Grant novel 4 stars although I am not usually satisfied with the plot construction. I guess it is the humour which is right up my alley, the characters which are diverse and interesting and last but not least, London as a setting.

This time the setting is the London Underground and the London Sewers. It involves some magical pottery, an art gallery, some strange underground dwellers and a lot of shit (literally).

The first "touristic attracti
Lois Bujold
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The advantage of being a semiretired adult is that there is nobody around who can force one to stop reading and go to sleep. The disadvantage of same is the four hours of daylight left that one confronts when crawling out of bed the next afternoon...

This series, surer now perhaps of its survival to the end of the broadcast season, seems to be settling in for a good run. More lavish invention with Peter, Lesley, Thomas, the Folly, and of course London. I am happy with this; not for me the readerl
Philip
3.5ish stars.

Another solid entry in a very enjoyable UF series.

It's always a pleasure to spend some time with Peter Grant and company. Some things I particularly like about this book:
- Leslie is back! And I love that her... condition... really isn't a huge deal. It wasn't used to turn her into a tragic victim, but it also wasn't glossed over and essentially "fixed" overnight. Cool to see her growing as a practitioner as well.

- There are always several great new characters with each installment,
Mike (the Paladin)
As I sit here considering this book there's a part of me that wonders why I'm not more taken, more enthusiastic about this series. I can recommend it. It's a good series filled with good writing. I like the understated humor. I like the interaction with the world Aaronovitch has created and its denizens.

Somehow with all that I'm always, at best mildly enthusiastic about them. I read the first back when it came out in one of those reader copies with "NOT TO BE SOLD" written all over it. I liked
Lyn
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The train kept a rollin’.

And by that I mean the binge reading of Ben Aaronovitch’s PETERGRANTAPALOOZA!

Aaronovitch’s 2012 entry into the smoothest UF series since EVER, and the third in the series, may be the best one yet. It’s like if Ben and Neil Gaiman and Tana French sat down over a pint or three and hammered out what is best in life, and no Cohen it’s not “to crush enemy, see him driven before you and to hear the lamentation of the vemen” – it’s to know that this book is only one in a series
Carolyn
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
The discovery of the body of an American student at Baker Street tube station leads Peter Grant, apprentice Wizard on the hunt for a rogue magician both above and below ground. I love these books for their sense of magic as well as their sense of humour. The author keeps coming up with new characters and new magic in the streets of London and it is all very entertaining. Peter and his off-sider Lesley are joined by a FBI agent for this one so it's fun to watch her be initiated into their world.
Bradley
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've mentioned how these books go down as smooth as jazz, and there's a lot of honesty in it, although the jazz bits are downplayed almost entirely in this book in favor of a little traditional artistic murder.

Not that art is being murdered, though that certainly might be the case, or that the artists might be doing the murdering, which also might be the case, or that the murder was done in such a way as to be considered artistic, which is certainly not the case.

But above all, this is a fantasti
Phrynne
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series and either they keep getting better or the characters are growing on me the more I read. Or maybe both. Certainly this book was very funny, laugh aloud funny actually usually due to the main character's dry comments about anything and everything. I always love a book set in London especially when it includes lots of facts (and fictions too) about old London. Well this story includes some bits about a very old London indeed so I was well satisfied. I have been ...more
Orient
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans
Imagine: You’re in the underground tunnel. You hear whispers. There is somebody lurking in the shadows...

The creature gets nearer and nearer and at last you hear….

Hello. It’s me :) just me...

That’s the way I feel about this book. The places were so proper and so awesome almost all the way through the book, but I lacked something gripping, suspenseful or more spooky. I longed for more magic.

We have a spooky underground

even with

and strange and some kind of dangerous people, silently lurking in t
Sam Quixote
Somebody’s murdered - whodunit?

Doesn’t sound like much of a story does it? It’s not. Honestly, I was gobsmacked that Ben Aaronovitch got a 400+ page novel out of something so insubstantial. Nothing. Happens. For hundreds of pages! This is how you write like a hack professionally, guys.

The narrative is rambling, unfocused, horribly overlong and utterly boring. A vague and unmemorable murder happens near the start and then for practically every scene after I kept wondering what relevance they ha
Catie
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oh, these books are just so much fun. I doubt I will ever stop reading them. The mysteries confuse me (and are mostly forgettable), I still don’t really understand how the magic works (and neither does the main character), and I really have no idea where this is all going. But I enjoy every minute of these books and most of all, this character.

What a witty, likable, self-deprecating, fully-realized character Ben Aaronovitch has created here. I could spend hours just reading his random asides abo
Paul E. Morph
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series and it really shouldn't come as a surprise as they're a geek's dream come true; at times it feels like there are more geek culture references than there is plot.

These books are also really funny, which took me slightly by surprise as nobody had mentioned they were funny in all the various reviews I read before starting the series. I think they'd really appeal to fans of Douglas Adams, Tom Holt or Terry Pratchett.

To be honest, I keep almost giving them a five star
Tracey
Peter Grant.

I could almost make that my entire review.

I have a friend I met when we both worked at Barnes & Noble many years ago. She went off to school and then to New York to seek her fortunes, and she is a) blessed with a great many friends and b) an even worse correspondent than I am, so we don't email or call or any of that very often. Now and then, though, if we're going to be in the same city at the same time, we get together, and it's almost as though the time since the last time we met
Lata
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. In which, Peter Grant goes under ground, literally, in pursuit of a murderer.
-Lesley's at the Folly, learning from Nightingale. And learning some things faster, though Peter's still better at reading vestigia.
-Abigail Kamara from book 2 is back, looking for the Hogwarts Express. I'm so glad she's back.
-The wonderful Guleed is back!
-We meet Jaget Kumar, a member of the transit police, and keen explorer. I liked him.
-The tenacious FBI agent Reynolds is present; not sure what to make of
B Schrodinger
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, humour
Ben sure isn't a one trick pony. The third volume of his Peter Grant series is a high point and while not as astounding as the first volume, it's way better than the second and much more fun than any of the others.

This time around Peter Grant, PC Magician's Apprentice, faces a mystery of a dead art student in the Tube. Sounds mundane and not Peter Grant at all, but the murder weapon is a shard of magically imbued pottery. So what we get is a wonderful and claustrophobic chase into the literal un
Brent
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
Another fun adventure with Peter Grant.

Bonus points for Pratchett and Blackadder references.
Rob
Executive Summary: Another solid entry in this series, and I hope to get to the next book much sooner than I got to this one.

Audiobook: Kobna Holdbrook-Smith once again does an excellent job, making this series a must listen for me.

Full Review
You may not know it from looking at my Goodreads shelf, but I was never much of a fantasy reader growing up. That changed in college. For several years after college, I didn't read much, but what I read tended to be Urban Fantasy. I just couldn't seem t
Cathy
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out and about in London. Love and geographical knowledge of London makes this even more fun. I recommend to have a map of the London burroughs handy or maybe an AtoZ. I did.

Entertaining police procedural with a magic twist. I am finally hooked on this series. And once I am through with this series buddy read, I will re-read the first book. This time around my rating will most likely be quite a bit higher.

Some editing mistakes in the ebook, mostly missing prepositions and articles.

I am picturin
Tony
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel I should just write: 'see previous two reviews', as it certainly applies here and I would just be writing more of the same... one of these seamlessly merges into the next with little fuss or any change of direction. That sounds like a criticism. It's is most certainly not.

One thing I'd like to point out however (for audio version only)... Mr Aaronovitch knows his London but should have taken the London traffic into account for any poor chap wondering around with his iPhone (and it's pathe
Julie
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A very pleasant diversion from our current situation, which held my interest and kept me entertained.
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Peter Grant is back: junior policeman on the Metropolitan Force, apprentice wizard and sarcastic jokester. Welcomew to the magical murder mystery tour of London, starting in Hugh Grant's and Julia Robert's favorite neighborhood of Notting Hill but going mostly to the sunken tunnels of a labyrinthine subway system going back to the nineteen century. If in the previous novel, we had a glimpse of Soho nightlife and at the Jazz scene, in this episode we will focus on modern art, small street boutiqu ...more
Michelle F
“Holy paranormal activity, Nightingale – to the Jag mobile”

Oho. I am climbing fully on board for this river ride now! Whispers Underground was an absolute hoot.

The third installment in this very British urban fantasy/police procedural hybrid has Peter Grant assigned to the Murder Squad in an investigation that will take him to some dark (and smelly) places.

I found the first two books of the Rivers of London series to be fun but somewhat inconsistently captivating, but in Whispers Underground m
Lata
Not going to analytical; I'm giving it 5 stars because I loved the story, the expanding set of characters getting involved in the investigations (I want more Guleed, Kumar and Abigail!) and the slow reveal of a deeper, darker story. Little things that stood out for me
-Stephanopolous! I really like her.
-Abigail's Hogwarts Express.
-Jaget's X-Files interest, and consequent roping into the investigation.
-And that cheeky, Dr Who-referencing, building envelope-noting, sarcastic bugger, Peter Grant.
Alex Cantone
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, read-2018, fantasy
It isn’t that hard to find the bodies at a major crime, even one at a complicated scene like an Underground station – you just look for the highest concentration of noddy suits and head that way. When I stepped out onto platform 3 the far end looked like an anthrax outbreak.

When a young man staggers out of the tunnels to bleed out at Baker Street station, the entire London underground grinds to a standstill while the SOC team moves in; at the busiest time of the year with Christmas shopping, and
Regina
Damn, I love this series. And damn I love these characters – -Peter, Lesley, Molly, Nightengale and even the little dog Toby. Rarely does an urban fantasy book feel new.

There is something so easy going but yet scary about the world Mr. Aaronovitch has created. It is layers of normal society on top of layers of an unknown magical community. These communities co-exist and sometimes collide. This story begins right off from where Moon Over Soho left off. Lesley and Peter (Why do I want to type Rob

• Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • London Falling (Shadow Police, #1)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11)
  • Jodi Taylor Chronicles of St. Mary's Series Reading Order Checklist
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Run-Out Groove (The Vinyl Detective #2)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (9 books)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London, #2)
  • Broken Homes (Rivers of London, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London, #7)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)