Start by marking “Doctor Who: Borrowed Time” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Borrowed Time

Doctor Who: Borrowed Time

(Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #49)

'You want more time Mr Brown, of course you do. We all want more time. Let me make you an offer...'

Andrew Brown never has enough time. No time to call his sister, or to prepare for that important presentation at the bank where he works. The train's late, the lift jams. If only he'd had just a little more time. And time is the business of Mr Symington and Mr Blenkinsop. The
Published June 23rd 2011 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Stephen Robert Collins
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This starts with the wrong biscuit a digestive that far to quickly sinks to the bottom of the cup.
From then on Mr Brown 's life is running around like a headless chicken in ever decreasing circles sweaty late all the time.
I know that lot of Jobs in office environments are exactly this for me sound like has Nightmare out of worst horror movie. Blood suicidal depression like the office revolution in Monty Python's Meaning of Life.
For Mr Brown is hair pulling days are over when two crazy heavies tu
Ken
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever wish you could just have a little more time to get everything done? Would you consider borrowing some?

Using the banking crisis as an analogy, this excellent 11th Doctor story simplifies how easy it is to run up a big debt without properly looking at the Terms and Conditions.

Not only is this a great thrilling adventure, it also gives a great moral story to younger readers on how on easy it is to fall into that trap.
One of the best NSA’s.
Lauren Stoolfire
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun Doctor Who story! I especially liked that ending. The author and the narrator totally hit the mark with the some of my favorite chat, The Doctor, Amy, and Rory.
Natalia
Besides the bit about Narnia, the epilogue had to be my favorite part!

Time sharks. Just, really? CREEEEPY
D.L. Morrese
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a story of investment banking, the white-collar rat race, fraud, debt, the subjectivity of value, and the dangers of compound interest... sort of. It’s not about money or stocks, though. It’s about time -- using it, managing it, borrowing it, trading it, and paying it back -- with interest, compounded hourly.

An alien time trader has come to Earth and is loaning harried bank employees the time they feel they need to conduct research, prepare reports, do presentations, and everything else
Kitvaria Sarene
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one!
The author managed to really catch the characters extremely well - it felt like watching an actual episode! One of the best Doctor Who stories I read so far characterwise. Both in Amy, Rory and the Doctor feeling very true and also in the main characters being well fleshed out.

The plot also was both really interesting and well thought out! I was hooked all the way.

Prose was fluent and fast and a perfect match for the story.

Audio book was brilliantly narrated too, so:

Full 5 stars
Antonomasia
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Antonomasia by: Granta
Naomi Alderman's story in Granta 123: The Best of Young British Novelists 4 was a very funny Gaiman-esque mythology-meets-reality piece. So I wanted to see what she would do with a Doctor Who novel. I wasn't that impressed.
I've never read any Doctor Who fiction before - though a number of my friends have between them read hundreds of volumes of it, so I'd never dismiss it out of hand when such clever people read (and write) it. But I can't say how this compares to other Who stories ... and that
F.R.
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
So here we have ‘Doctor Who’ does the financial crisis, with The Doctor taking Amy and Rory to witness the biggest banking collapse of the age. Obviously that’s a set-up containing a great deal of promise, but there’s also something a tad disquieting about it. After all if The Doctor is involved, then there will obviously be malevolent aliens involved somewhere in this crash. But why would human beings need malevolent aliens to crash a bank? Human beings have more than proved themselves stupid e ...more
Scott
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
After Jonny's excellent Who book Touched by an Angel, I didn't think the next book could live up to it. I was wrong.

Less concerned with emotional depth than Jonny's, this is far more a satirical, even political book, exploring the recession and bank collapses - right in line with the show's original remit to educate and entertain at the same time - I can't recall a Who book ever taking the time to explain the workings of compound interest before!

Given the complexity of the ideas she explores, a
Kirstie Ellen
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, sci-fi
"Oh god, has the Doctor decided I'm useless, well I am useless, but maybe I'm useless in that useful sort of way? Bait, maybe?"

It really breaks my heart how cruel these books are to Rory - he's always being left behind and picked on by Amy and the Doctor and it makes me just want to go and give him a big hug. So far, I've yet to encounter one of these books that doesn't patronise him on a depressing level. But maybe I'm just overly smitten with Arthur Darvill . . .

The Book
Borrowed Time is a real
Kribu
Fittingly, I read this one entirely on a plane taking me first to and then again back home from the Doctor Who Festival in London last weekend.

And it reminded me once again that while the Twelfth Doctor is MY Doctor (and this is where I'm really tempted to insert some utterly fangirlish, smitten gushing over how ridiculously gorgeous Peter Capaldi is in real life, especially close up, and how wonderfully firm and warm his hand is, and how radiant and genuine his smile is, and how I melted into
Brooklyn Tayla
Another winner of a DW novel. Totally canon to the 11/Amy/Rory world. Very fast paced, trippy, slightly terrifying and quite sad. Honestly would've thought Moffat could've written this. Definitely recommend :)
Carl
As I picked Borrowed Time up and started to read, I had a nagging feeling I knew the author name from somewhere, and sure enough, the author is the very same Naomi Alderman who more recently wrote The Power, a bestselling science-fiction novel with a feminist plot twist, which has been the talk of the broadsheet culture supplements.

There are plenty of signs in this earlier work that the author would go on to greater things, as this is certainly one of the best examples of new series Doctor Who n
Purple Grapes Gabriella
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quarter-1-7th-gr
Doctor Who: Borrowed Time is a crazy book. At Lexington Bank, the biggest bank in the whole entire world, has a ton of employees. They are expected to get a humungous project done in an hour. How? There are these weird people who give you watches. This special watch you can borrow time. If you go back a day, it will only affect you, and no one else. However, there is interest. Five minutes per hour, per hour. But when the weird people tell you the interest rates, they say the second per hour ver ...more
Mel
So awhile ago I was really missing Amy, Rory and the Doctor, sad they didn't get a proper last series so went and ordered ALL the books I could find with them from the library. I really enjoyed this. It was Doctor Who meets Momo via Neil Gaiman. It was a plot that mocked the banking crisis, borrowing on credit, compound interest and loan sharks. I think this is my favourite Amy, Rory and the Doctor novel to date. It was a fun time travel story and mocked the career hungry and money hungry world ...more
Stephanie
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
I'm starting to find that mostly these Doctor Who books all have similar plots... something's wrong with time. But they're still really fun to read and are really great at helping me get through my Doctor drought until Christmas. :)
Angela R. Watts
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fandom
I really liked this one... xD It would have made a great episode, too.
William
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I became aware of this book through this great article in The Oxford Culture Review (https://theoxfordculturereview.com/20...) and I'm very glad I got it shipped all the way from the UK. It's a near-perfectly crafted Doctor Who story with a great sf premise (aliens allow you to borrow time from your future if there are things you need to do now, but you have to pay it back... with COMPOUND INTEREST), a pair of sinister men in suits who are ACTUALLY SPACE SHARKS, giant cockroaches, and a pitch-pe ...more
Jemiah Jefferson
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, ebooks
I decided to read this book because of the enthusiastic reviews that Ms. Alderman's newest novel has received, and I was not disappointed (and will, as I'd vowed, simply buy THAT book because she managed to rock a DW tie-in novel. Trust me, they're not as easy as they might seem, and they deserve the reward). Eleven, Amy, and Rory have an adventure in the City of London's high end financial district, at an actual bank in fact, and this excitement leads to a philosophical exploration of time itse ...more
İsmail Cantürk
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eğlenceli bir Doctor Who hikayesiydi. Doctor, Amy ve Rory üçlüsünü hep sevmişimdir, bu kitapta da üçlünün birbirleriyle olan ilişkisi beni duygulandırdı. Okurken keşke bu kitabı izleyebilseydik dedim çünkü içinde harika bir DW bölümü olmasını sağlayacak her unsur vardı. Biraz yavaş ilerledi onun dışında sonunu da sevdim.
Natira
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
kurzweilig (nur so ein, zwei Passagen, die ich etwas langatmig fand). Die Handlung findet irgendwann nach "Pandorica" statt und vor diesem Hintergrund nervt mich ein wenig, wie die Autorin Rory sich selbst wahrnehmen lässt (auch bei Einbeziehung des eröffnenden Zweiteilers von Season6 stellt sich das - jedenfalls für mich - anders dar).
Sarah Baines
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Another brilliant Eleventh Doctor novel with an interesting premise. I for one have certainly wished I had more time and the moral of Borrowed Time - be careful what you wish for as it comes at a price!
Dawn
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read. Not sure if this is aimed at adults or children but I (as an adult) find the metaphors to poorly regulated financial markets and people playing fast & loose with the markets confusing as well as a bit contrived.
Rachel
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I quite loved Jane, she's probably my favorite character in this story. I feel that the dynamic between the Doctor, Amy and Rory was perfect and well written.

Plot twist: Loved it! I did see it coming and was happy that it did. I would have been sorely disappointed had it not happened.
Tracy St Claire
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
As one of the Doctor Who audios, this one wasn’t too bad. The plot was inventive. However, neither the writing nor the reading of this book could differentiate the 11th doctor from the rest. If it weren’t for Amy and Rory, it could have been any of the (male) doctors.
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

When the Doctor takes Amy and Rory to witness a bank’s collapse, they find it’s been offering more than just money for loan… This belaboured parable of compound interest isn’t without merit; it just takes up more time than it can repay.
Chris
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
A really wonderful Doctor Who book, among the best of the New Series range. Alderman skillfully mixed perfect characterization, time-wimey plotting and commentary on the financial system. Definitely worth checking out.
Jess
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Staci
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyed this one.. listened via audiobook... can't get the "Super Lucky Romance Camera" jingle out of my head
Sara
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, fiction
3.5 stars? It was fun.
Sci Fi Adventure ...: Doctor Who Borrowed Time Book Discussion 1 4 Jun 27, 2013 06:09PM
  • Doctor Who: Paradox Lost
  • Doctor Who: Apollo 23
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
  • Doctor Who: The Krillitane Storm
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
Naomi Alderman (born 1974 in London) is a British author and novelist.

Alderman was educated at South Hampstead High School and Lincoln College, Oxford where she read Philosophy, Politics and Economics. She then went on to study creative writing at the University of East Anglia before becoming a novelist.
She was the lead writer for Perplex City, an Alternate reality game, at Mind Candy from 2004 th

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
  • Doctor Who: The Stone Rose
  • Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned
  • Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island
“The thing about the Lexington International Bank ladder was that it was very long, and climbing it was very exhausting, and so Andrew Brown didn't have a lot of time to think about whether he really wanted to get to the top of it—and besides, since so many other people were climbing too, the view from the top must be worth it.

So he kept going. He worked hard. He put his heart and mind and soul into it. There was an opening for a position half a rung higher than he already was. With a promotion, he might get two hours a week of a secretary's time. He'd go to more important meetings, with more senior people, and have the opportunity to impress them, and if he did he might be promoted again and then... well, of course eventually he'd be running the whole office. It's important to have a dream: otherwise you might notice where you really are.”
6 likes