Start by marking “Practically Perfect” as Want to Read:
Practically Perfect

Practically Perfect

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  4,604 Ratings  ·  227 Reviews
Anna, a newly qualified interior designer, decides to risk everything on buying a tiny but adorable cottage so she can renovate it, sell it, and prove to her family that she can earn her own living. But the cottage interior isn’t the only obstacle she has to face; the other one is the arrival of Rob Hunter who puts up more obstacles than the Grand National.
Published March 27th 2007 by Century (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Practically Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practically Perfect

Jacob Proffitt
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, chaste
A fun read with excellent characters. Further, Fforde manages both wit and charm in her characters and that made the whole thing shine.

Two things keep this from being an all-out win. First, Anna's fixation on Max went on way too long. It was clear that she liked him for her imagination more than anything real and her self-delusion became kind of tiresome when the much more delectable Rob was right there—and Rob was so much better in pretty much every way.

The second needs spoilers as it happens r
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
Dec 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't get out much,
Probably my least liked Katie fforde so far. I'd probably prefer to give this 2.8 stars, but it's only a 5 point scale. I found the characters annoying - in fact I wanted to shout at the heroine several times for being so stupid, saying really dumb things, over-reacting, being a drama queen, and generally needing a jolly good slap. Like her I couldn't quite credit the hero's reaction at the dramatic conclusion to the story, and felt the author had done very little to justify his behaviour: it di ...more
The Library Lady
What is it with Katie Fforde?
Every time I read one of her books, I enjoy it and I get involved in it.
And then, somewhere near the end, though you're still interested SHE seems to lose interest in what she is writing. And suddenly you're at the ending and it feels like a let down.

I should know better by now. And yet, I like her books enough that I keep reading them....
Nichola
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this off the shelf at the library just to take a break from all the kids books I read. But this was too long, some of the characters never settled for me, and the man-woman relationships didn't feel real.
If the girl wants to redo houses by hand, is qualified, and is good at it, why did she constantly seem to feel like she has to defend herself about it? Just get on with it. Maybe drink a little less champagne. And stop talking about how small the cottage is! It was very distracting of h
Arielle Walker
Formulaic, clumsy writing; annoying cliched characters; a stupid plot "twist"... To be honest I only finished this on principal - I hate not finishing books, even if I dislike them as much as I disliked this one.
Kate
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I can only stand so much Fforde at once and this one put me over the limit. I enjoyed the interior design plots and the not-too-nice guy and the portrayal of a nice sisterly neighbors relationship, but I don't understand the pushy undertone of women finding their true niche in nurturing. I don't think there's anything wrong with nurturing, mind you, but sometimes Fforde seems to be offering some pretty reactionary lessons about Appropriate Choices for Women (not that all modern fiction doesn't p ...more
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a book billed as a romantic comedy, it was neither funny nor particularly romantic! Pass this book by. The only interesting thing (from my American prospective) was all the British terms. They call carpenters "chippies" and electricians "sparkies," seriously?
Rosie
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I love Katie Fforde's books, you always know where you are with them. They represent a wonderful fairy tale like lifestyle with real life twists, turns and complications. At first I did find the book hard to get into, however I don't put this down to the writing or plot but because I had read four books in the weekend that I started this one and it was probably too much for me. However, once I did get into the book (which was by the third chapter) I loved it and kept going with it!

I loved Anna,
Nikki
Katie fforde has a surefire formula for the kind of romance books I like. Her heroine, who starts out either single or newly single, always has a project, and a challenging and creative project at that. She will not be looking for a "relationship," in fact she will normally say she hasn't time for one...but of course by the end of the book one will transpire. Occasionally there will be a Mr. Wrong somewhere in the middle. The heroine will also be a woman who enjoys and values the friendship of ...more
Elisa
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Katie Fforde is my go-to author in the romance genre. Mostly because her books are undemanding and inoffensive in the sort of 'romance' they depict.

Actually, the romance plot is quite often the least convincing part of her books, and 'Practically Perfect' was no exception. From the first pages it was quite obvious where the heroine was headed, romantically. But that's not the main point, when it comes to Fforde's book, at least for me - what I like about them is that the heroine is usually a wo
Beth
Jul 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: froofy-fun
Honestly I haven't even finished the book. The whole thing is just driving me a bit crazy. This is the first book I have attempted to read by Katie Fforde, but so far the writing is driving me crazy. Maybe it is just a bit too froofy for me at this time.
Dorottya
2.75ish

Oh, oh, oh. Sometimes I feel like I am quite generous with giving points to romance novels... mostly because I am a hopeless romantic, but sometimes also because I feel like I have to reward books that got at least something right, because I see so many poorly executed romance novels...

Here, I was happy that for once an author could make a character who was clumsy, klutzy and socially awkward who seemed like acting her age and was not over the top stupid. It should be a given, but I have
Lauren
May 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Book Practically Perfect by Katie Fforde wasn’t a very good one. Practically Perfect is 373 pages and is in the romance genre.
The book was basically about an interior designer named Anna, who is fixing up an old English cottage in the small town of Amberford. She is very close to her sister who lives in the city with her family. She also comes to know her neighbor Chloe who provides her with help, advice, tea and a rescue greyhound Caroline. The cottage is picture perfect on the outside, bu
Jasbr
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liebe-chick-lit
Ab und zu liebe ich sie: Die kitschige Bücher, die in tollen Landschaften spielen und bei denen es zwar immer irgendwie Chaos gibt, am Ende aber alles gut ausgeht. Aus diesem Grund griff ich auch zu diesem Buch - und wurde leider etwas enttäuscht.
Alles fängt noch ganz gut an: Anna kauft sich ein Cottage, das sie aufwendig renovieren will. Auf einmal taucht Rob auf, vom Denkmalschutz, und macht ihre Pläne kaputt. Aber keine Sorge: Es wird einfach ein bisschen umgeplant und weiter gehts. Nicht den
Romée Wanders
Dit boek stond denk ik al wel een jaar in mijn boekenkast nadat ik hem eens voor 2 euro bij de Kruidvat had meegenomen, maar plots voelde ik de drang hem te lezen. En ik ben blij dat ik dat heb gedaan!
Ik had nog niet eerder een boek van Katie Fforde gelezen, maar ik ben nu zeker geïnteresseerd om meer te lezen. Gelukkig voor mij bezit ik ook nog Schoon Schip (Going Dutch) -ook de 2 euro Kruidvat editie- dus die ligt nog op mij te wachten voor de toekomst.

Anna is een superleuke hoofdpersoon in di
Iowa City Public Library
I discovered Katie Fforde a year ago. I went through a silly phase where I was randomly reading books with green covers. Fforde’s Restoring Grace cover jumped out at me. I think it had something to do with procrastination and a paint project at home – green paint, of course! Recently I was pleased to find two new Fforde books on the New Fiction Shelves – Bidding for Love and Practically Perfect.

Fforde’s books are set in Great Britain in various locations. They all have characters who could easi
Megan
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was what I read someone else refer to as an "in between" book...as in it was a light read in between substantial, literary, I-have-to-use-my-brain-to-read-this books. I have been reading some great novels lately, ones that really made me think and examine life, so this one fell way short in comparison. It was pretty predictible and I thought the writing was pretty sub-par. The dialogue, especially, was just akward. I felt like the main character, Anna, was uneven. Sometimes she was this nai ...more
Sheila
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was quite a good yarn and as usual with Katie Fforde great escapism. It told the story of Anna, an interior designer who buys a house in the Cotswolds to improve. Along the way she acquires a dog, a rescue greyhound and meets the greyhound trust manager, Rob Hunter, who also turns out to be the inspector for listed buildings. So, after a rocky start to their relationship, friendship starts to develop. However, as a complication to this development,Anna meets up with a tutor from a few years b ...more
Garnette
Mostly what I object to in Fforde's Practically Perfect is she and her character did not get why Mr. Darcy in the Jennifer Erhl version jumped into the pond -- how hard is it to get that he was travel weary, discouraged and for the first time in his life, acting spontaneously. Who wouldn't get that the film enhancement was to show Darcy has shifted. The wet shirt was besides the point - Darcy has grown. And the consequences of both changing was that now, they could meet with new eyes. What autho ...more
Laurie
While some are better than others, I have never not enjoyed a Katie Fforde novel. Pure pleasure. Wild Designs is my favorite. (Note to self: PP is the one about a woman who buys and fixes up homes, and adopts a rescue greyhound.) It's a bit hard to keep her books straight sometimes; occasionally I find I already read one that I thought was new. But this one really was new, and good summer reading.
Kate  Maxwell
Jun 07, 2011 marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to waste my time on this book. I only made it to Chapter Two - life's too short to read bad books. The conversation style in the story seemed forced. Also, I don't know of anyone who would walk into a stranger's house, bathe their kids and do their dishes!
Bethany
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd heard great things about this book, but it wasn't for me. Though I enjoyed myself at times, the plot was formulaic — until the end when it veered off into hard-to-follow strangeness. Meh.
Nancy
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good poolside read - light and entertaining
Ess
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As it's been so cold here this winter and i'd been in a terrible reading slump from both boredom and business, I had decided I wanted to read something romantic and frilly and this completely satisfied my needs!
One of the things i love the most about Fforde's works is that they are realistic and it's not just a love story that works out within pages, it develops and grows throughout the entire novel.
I loved the story and found each of the characters to be loveable and unique- well besides maybe
Mairzi
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After finishing an over 700 page depressing novel and then starting a book about a girl mixed up with a murderous group based on the Mason family, I needed a break. So I read this little print equivalent of a rom-com. Unfortunately, I found the writing style so choppy and the relationships so superficial that it really wasn't the enjoyable read I had hoped for. Not a horrible book but far for "Practically Perfect."
Inge Hulsker
Een eenvoudig en voorspelbaar verhaal, maar het leest lekker weg. Er zitten wat typefouten in, het verhaal loopt precies zo af als je al verwacht. Maar er zitten leuke momenten in, de personages zijn aardig. Lekker vakantie-boek.
Geri Lloyd-Jones
Ok but I thought the end dragged on abit, probably won't read this one again!
Tink
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a lift in their dreams department and wants to change their life.
On a spur of the moment and to start up her dream job, Anna has bought at the perfect cottage of her dreams, in the tiny town of Amberford.

But there's another reason why Anna moved to the picturesque village, her old tutor. Max, the charming, sophisticated, handsome and downright dishy tutor from her student days that she's held a candle for the past three years, lived somewhere near the town. Or at least his mother did, and she just might get to see him again.

Upon closer examination Anna has
Lina
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, romance, summer
this was a fun read ! Practically Perfect is about an independent young woman, who is doing up a house herself. it also features romance, a dog (i love dogs) and a wonderful girl friend named Chloe. she is absolutely amazing, i adore all the characters. i just felt the ending was a little unnecessary. it would have been better without the drama in the end. but overall i really liked it ! it was a cute, funny and easy read.
M
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Delightful "comfort read." I would've rated it higher, except for the fact that the last 50 pages or so pull the rug out from under the story, and not in a good way; it feels too late to be knotting up the plot, and Fforde tries to untangle the threads to bring about the expected romcom ending, but the effort feels extremely rushed and a bit silly at that point.

From reading other reader reviews online, I gather this is something of a pattern in Fforde novels (almost too many plot threads, love i
  • Chocolate Wishes
  • The Love Trainer
  • Summer Daydreams
  • Gardens Of Delight
  • A Crowded Marriage
  • Where Have All the Boys Gone?
  • An Autumn Crush
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until afte ...more
More about Katie Fforde...

“But the trouble with falling in love was that it was involuntary, no matter how well you knew it was a bad idea, if it was going to happen, it happened, and you couldn't prevent it, however much you wanted to.” 2 likes